The Sun Also Sets. The end of TV-AM

Premise and POD

This is something I've wanted to try for a while. I'm going to create a thread using both AH.com and Youtube.

For non UK users TV-AM was the provider of Breakfast programming on the commercial channel ITV between 1983 and 1992.

It had a very rocky history which is recorded here:

A section of the video refers to how the commercial regulator the IBA nearly stripped TVAM of its licence to broadcast in 1985 (27:36 to 29:58)

This TL will look at what may have happened if TV-AM had lost its licence in 1985.

After intense discussions with the board of directors of TV-AM the IBA has decided with great reluctance to revoke their licence to broadcast. The station will end on the 31st of December 1985.

The decision was made due to the following factors

1. The poor nature of the news service which was painfully highlighted by the lacklustre coverage of the IRA bombing in Brighton earlier this month
2. The precarious nature of the station's finances
3. The format of the station's output

The IBA will be in discussions with existing ITV stations as well as ITN to see if a temporary replacement service can be broadcasted from 1986. This service will if possible continue until the IBA has examined our approach to breakfast television

Lord Thomson, Chairman of the IBA 29th November 1985

This will be a real interesting timeline to see although I have never even visited the UK (Lack of both a real Suitable amount of Money and a Passport).

"We made a constructive counteroffer to the IBA to ensure our survival, but it was turned down without adequate scrutiny. We didn't deserve this, we deserved better for our efforts. That hasn't happened and I feel gutted"

Bruce Gyngell 31st December 1985

So even Roland Rat wasn’t able to save TV-AM. Or is it the lack of Roland and his friends which led to the downfall of the station?