The Stand

Mr. Glass

Banned
Has anyone read this book by Steven King? In a way, it's an alternate history of what the world would be like if 99% of the population was wiped out by the flu, if you take away the religious aspects.

So, my question is this. Lets say that there was never a Boulder Free Zone or the nation to the west. Where do you think populations would start springing up, and what nations would be created?

Mr. Glass said:
Has anyone read this book by Steven King? In a way, it's an alternate history of what the world would be like if 99% of the population was wiped out by the flu, if you take away the religious aspects.

So, my question is this. Lets say that there was never a Boulder Free Zone or the nation to the west. Where do you think populations would start springing up, and what nations would be created?

Ah, the AH bunch versus sentient kudzu. Those were the times. *wipes nostalgic tear from eye*

aktarian said:
Ah, the AH bunch versus sentient kudzu. Those were the times. *wipes nostalgic tear from eye*

Wtf? How does this answer his question?? :D

Professor Bateman explains it all rather eloquently in the book, when he's talking to Stu Redman In New England. He just didn't postulate what nations would form where

Mr. Glass

Banned
Yes, I remember that part well. I was just wondering, besides that, if anyone has any thoughts on where populations would spring up

Pleasant places to live, like the San Francisco Bay area in California and the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.

Diamond

Banned
DraconisNoir said:
Wtf? How does this answer his question?? :D
It's an old-timer AH.com reference, newb. :D

That damn kudzu...

I think populations would have to compromise between locations with half-way pleasant weather, and those with access to raw materials - to scavenge at first, then to build up an industrial base again eventually. So yeah, the Bay area, coastal southern California, the South, most of the Eastern Seaboard.

As was stated in one of Stirling's books, Dies the fire?, Cities become great mining pits for already processed steel, glass, asphalt, etc. All you need is there. All you have to do it transport it to where you need it.

but the Kudzu... just stay out of florida unless.. shudder.. you have a flock of goats with you. But once they go sentient, all bets are off.

Though they would need to stay away from cities. and least live a way from there. Millions of dead in one place. *shudders*

Diamond said:
It's an old-timer AH.com reference, newb. :D

That damn kudzu...

I think populations would have to compromise between locations with half-way pleasant weather, and those with access to raw materials - to scavenge at first, then to build up an industrial base again eventually. So yeah, the Bay area, coastal southern California, the South, most of the Eastern Seaboard.

I know all about Phactelen-ecki and the sentient attack kudzu. You don't join a forum witout doing some heavy reading first, you know...