The South Cone in a 5500 years’s scenario (preview)

For those who don’t know, 5500 years is a thread started by Atom, which tells the story of the Americas in a world in which Eurasia is hit by a deathly plague in the XV century and no one from the Old World ever colonizes this continent.

A few considerations:

Language

Please excuse my English. I’m not a native speaker, and I’ve never stayed more than two weeks in an English speaking country (and that was five years ago). I know both the style and vocabulary need to be improved a lot; but this is just a draft. If I don’t post it now, I’ll be revising it forever.

Names

I’m having a problem with names. In Argentina and Uruguay, most places have Spanish names, and the original Amerindian names have been forgotten. Calling River Plate “Río de la Plata” is rather absurd given the premises of this TL; calling an island “Martin Garcia” makes no sense at all. But as I don’t know how to get the Amerindian names for places, I’ll use OTL names, at least for now (except when Amerindian names are known, such as “Tawantisuya” or “Anahuac”). Maybe I’ll change this later. Any suggestion in this respect (or any other) is welcome.

Chronology

This TL is aimed to be written as a children’s history book composed in a future Amerindian civilization from around the year 5000 AD. By then, the Americas would have reached the level of technology we enjoy nowadays, and would have imposed their civilization across the globe. The problem is,...what chronology would this civilization use??? I’d like the idea of using something based on both the Incan and Mesoamerican beliefs. Both civilizations thought there had been 4 eras (“Suns”) before their day. The Incas thought they were living in the 5th era. I thought it was cool to use that system, even if this future Amerindian civilization would know the first 4 eras were mythical.

I know it may be odd for a modern civilization to use and ancient calendar (It would be like if we counted the years based on the Egyptian calendar!). But, on the other hand, the Jews use a calendar that goes back to the year 5000, so this may not be as strange as it sounds.

However, on this stage, I’ll use OTL dates, as this is a draft and I don’t want to do the work of making the equivalences yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here it goes...

Late XV century:

In the 114th year of the 5th Sun (OTL XV Century), the South Cone appeared as a pretty marginal and undeveloped region. Scarcely populated (except in the North West), it lacked the “civilized lure” of both the Tawantisuya or the Anahuac. But the region had unique conditions for the formations of very original societies, who turned out to be much more dynamic than the ones which appeared in the traditional civilization’s centers, ...in the same way in which once marginal areas of the New World* ended up surpassing some of the areas in which the very concept of Old world “civilization” started (Well, at least this is what archeologists say).

------
*Old World :D

The setting

Here lies a description of the situation of the South Cone around the IId Century of the 5th Sun. As the first written sources we have found date from the IVth Century, these reconstruction is based almost entirely on Archeological evidence.

Rio de la Plata

These years witnessed the first (confirmed) traces of agriculture in the Rio de la Plata. Guarani groups, migrating south from their homeland in Upper Paraná River, reached Martin Garcia Island, in the Plata River. Throughout this migration, they had to deal with the fact that most of the tropical products which constituted their diet weren’t fit for the temperate climate of the region. The Sweet potatoes and mandioc had to be abandoned. Fortunately for them, maize adapted well to local conditions, and so did squash.

In their homeland, the Guarani were a people who practiced horticulture on cleared spaces among the rainforests. They had reached the South rowing in their canoes through the Paraguay and Uruguay Rivers. It took them a while to abandon the relatively safe waters of those rivers, and venture inland. The inner lands of Mesopotamia, the Uruguayan plains in the East and the immense pampas in the west would remain the domain of nomad hunter gatherers for a very long time.

Even their domain of the waters wasn’t uncontested, as it was disputed by the Timbú, a group of people who didn’t practice any form of agriculture, but which built very fit canoes and whose bows were better than the ones Guarani used. However, by 1530 OTL, the Thimbu had been assimilated to the more advanced Guarani way of life, and disappeared as an independent nation.

The North West

The North West of the South Cone was by far the more developed part of the South Cone in those days. The people who lived in this area practiced intensive agriculture, herded llamas, built houses made of stone and employed artifacts made of copper and bronze. They lived in permanent villages and constructed fortress. Their pottery can still be found nowadays, and is surprisingly similar to what we find in the new world.

From a purely materialistic point of view, the contrast between these peoples, which formed part of the “Andean” civilization, and the “Amazonic” Eastern peoples, was quite astonishing. The Easterns new agriculture, of course, but theirs was much more “primitive”; it wasn’t developed enough to sustain a sedentary society. The Easterns had pottery, but lacked metal tools (at least no metal tools made by themselves). They also lacked domesticated animals, and thus, they lacked wool. Their houses were made of wood, not stone.

However, from a societal point of view, both Easterns and Westerns had much more in common between them than between the hunter gatherers of the pampas. Both practiced agriculture, and both lived in hierarchic societies. The classic division “slaves, peasants, nobles and priest” was known in both societies.

In 1470 OTL, The Northwest was invaded by the Incas. They conquered the west of Salta, Jujuy, Catamarca, La Rioja and Mendoza, settling mainly on the high Valleys, and building roads and fortresses. The local cultures were respected, as the Incas are happy to let the people maintain their traditions as long as they worship the Sun God and pay taxes (in nature).

As long as we get farther west from the areas run by the Tawantisuyo, the traces of the Andean civilization fade away. Its last outposts are the hills of Cordoba, in which the Comechingones still practice agriculture, and herd some llamas.

No man’s land

Between the Mesopotamian “Amazonic”-influenced world in the East and the “Andean”-influenced world in the West lay the vast no-man’s of the pampas and the dry forests of Chaco. This was the land of hunter-gatherers, untouched by agricultuers or herders. In the pampas, people used to live in tents, and hunted guanacos with “boleadoras”.

The existence of these lands made communications between both worlds very difficult at this stage; but it didn’t rule out all kind of contact. The Lules in Cordoba had probably an Amazonic origin. The Chiriguanos, a people related to the Guarani, had crossed the dry forests of Chaco in what’s OTL Bolivia, and established themselves near the border of Tawantisuyo. They raided periodically the Incan empire, in order to get the precious metal artifacts of which the Amazonic world lacked. Trade routes take this artifacts west and South to the Rio de la Plata Basin, the southernmost Guarani colonies.

However, as long as this no-man lands existed, the actual exchange of ideas between both Eastern and Western worlds was almost non-existents. The Guarani in Rio de la Plata knew than, if you went upstream through Parana River, and then rowed westwards through the Pilcomayo, avoiding the rapids, you would find the Land of the White King, the Silver Mountain and haired deer (llamas). But they didn’t know how to actually domesticate a guanaco or how to produce a metal artifact.

But, as we know, that wouldn’t last for long...

Chile

Before 1470, the Mapuche extended from the southern limit of the Atacama Desert to the island of Chiloe. Around the year 1470, Emperor Pachacutic conquered all of Chile till the Maule River. The people under they domain, who had already been submitted to the influx of the Andean civilization, were easily assimilated to the Incan way of life. But in the Cold woods of Southern Chile, the Mapuche remained proudly independent.

This didn’t mean they didn’t adopt any of the techniques brought by the invaders. They already practiced horticulture. They learned now how to herd animals, and how to work with metal (basically silver). Quichua words began to be common in mapungdungun.

Hunting and recollection of fruits weren’t abandoned (as it would take time for maize to catch up in their environment), and nor was their political organization. Chiefdoms were strengthened, but they didn’t copy the political organization of their Northern neighbors. It wasn’t until it much later than the first traces of statehood appeared South of the Maule river...

Peoples of the south Cone circa (OTL) 1500 AD

---------------------------

mapa 3.JPG

A South American TL! Thanks Admiral!!;)

About names: if you are going to use the Guaraní as the "civilizated people" in Rio de la Plata area, maybe you could use the name Paraná-Porã for the river. Paraná means "big river that seems the sea" and Porã is beautiful, so you have "the beautiful river that seems the sea".

By "seems the sea," you mean, "seems to be the sea," right? I apologize for the language barrier.

A South American TL! Thanks Admiral!!;)

About names: if you are going to use the Guaraní as the "civilizated people" in Rio de la Plata area, maybe you could use the name Paraná-Porã for the river. Paraná means "big river that seems the sea" and Porã is beautiful, so you have "the beautiful river that seems the sea".

That'd be a suitable name. Thanks, Gonzaga!!!

PS: I actually don't know very much about the Amerindians of our region, but probably nobody in this forums knows much either, so hopefully they won't notice the mistakes that will inevitably come ;)

That'd be a suitable name. Thanks, Gonzaga!!!

PS: I actually don't know very much about the Amerindians of our region, but probably nobody in this forums knows much either, so hopefully they won't notice the mistakes that will inevitably come ;)

Well, I have some good sources about the charruas, guaranís, kaingangs. If you need some help just ask!;)

Just another idea, this time for Martin Garcia Island: Ipaum Guaçu (I think in Spanish would be Ipaún Guazú) - Big (Guaçu) Island (Ipaum).

Last edited:
Well, I have some good sources about the charruas, guaranís, kaingangs. If you need some help just ask!;)

Just another idea, this time for Martin Garcia Island: Ipaum Guaçu (I think in Spanish would be Ipaún Guazú) - Big (Guaçu) Island (Ipaum).

And I have info about Andean civilizations, just ask if you need it.

BTW, nice preview, really interesting! I also found the link to the 5500 Years Planning thread by Atom, in case anyone is interested.

I had assumed that ...

: I actually don't know very much about the Amerindians of our region, but probably nobody in this forums knows much either, so hopefully they won't notice the mistakes that will inevitably come ;)

But...

And I have info about Andean civilizations, just ask if you need it.

Damn, I'll have to be carefull in writting this TL then!!!

No, seriousily, thanks a lot to both!:) This would be very helpfull. I'll write to you later...