Is the TL good so far?

• Nope, Bad Timeline

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Alright Timeline

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Its a Good Timeline

Votes: 62 70.5%

• Total voters

Labor Reform wouldn’t be forgotten, as free medical care was introduced, it would end up covering 70% of all industrial workers, remuneration for industrial accidents would also be introduced, requiring the employer to cover about 20% of the cost of the maintenance of the worker, though this would increase in the future. However, the workers were not so satisfied, The Government organized state-sponsored and supervised “unions”, legally they were just organizations as unions themselves were banned, these failed to appetize many, who went underground to form their own, unsupervised and illegal unions.

Actually, introduction of the labor laws started during the reign of AIII and a law of 1886 included free medical help. The OTL law of 1903 was noticeably more generous than your version of Labor Reform ( ;) ) because it made employers fully responsible for the work-related accidents with a compensation for temporary disability equal to 1/2 of an average salary and in the case of incapacitation 2/3rd. Compensation to the families of the killed as a result of an accident also was regulated.
Even without the laws, a voluntary compensation to the sick workers was quite popular: the employers had been practicing it in 15% of enterprises (on which 1/3 of all workers had been employed). Law regarding a mandatory health insurance for the factory workers had been (after few years of discussion) adopted in 1912. Compensation had to be paid even in the cases not related to the job, including pregnancy. Law also mandated free medical help and was covering enterprises with more than 20 employees. Payments, depending upon the specifics varied: 1⁄2 - 2⁄3 salary for the family people and 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 for the dependents without a provider.

BTW, even a law of 1884, besides limiting work day to the teenagers made it mandatory for the employers to provide to the children of 12-15 a possibility to attend school at least 3 hours per day.

So you are just a little bit ahead of time and a little bit stingier with a compensation. :openedeyewink:

Last edited:
Russia will perform better enough to hold onto their gains in the Brusilov Offensive but not be able to perform these offensives frequently. The Czar in this TL will not take control of the army. The Trans-Siberian Railway will be utilized better this time so a better mobilization of troops from the East to the West. Russia will still have its screw ups in the Great War but not enough to break its back. It will perform better against the Ottomans hopefully, good enough it could make more gains in Armenia or Attaturk doesn't take over the Turkish Army there. When partitioning the Ottomans, Russia will get its promised lands such as Constantinople. Lastly, I hope this is included, when the Turkish War for Independence happens like in OTL Russia will assist Greece, France, and Britain in crushing it. As a result, enforcing the terms of the Treaty of Lausanne and reducing Turkey to a rump state.

Brusilov offensive was something of a fluke with the questionable results for Russia and it definitely did not win a war. For Russian Empire performing noticeably better than in OTL you need to consider the broader changes:
1. Greater degree of industrialization including more attention being paid to a contemporary "high tech": auto industry and aviation (and, to made it possible, a much bigger domestic engines production). By 1914 there was a single auto plant, "RussoBalt" with 35 workers, capacity of under 200 cars per year and a need to import most of the components including the tires, ignition sparks, gauges, ball bearings, etc.
2. Pre-war fundamental improvement in quality of the railroads and their equipment and increased ability to produce the locomotives. To a great degree the problems of the 1916 which led to the February Revolution had been triggered by inadequacy of the railroad system: a shrinking number of the locomotives and wagons could not handle both the needs of the front and supplies of the big cities. A low pre-war quality of the rails and outdated railroad equipment had been contributing to the problem.
3. The General Staff was not doing enough planning for the case of a major war tending to concentrate exclusively on the military aspect and ignoring the broader economic issues. As a result, a lot of the OTL actions had been done on ad hoc basis and even if by the end more than 80% of the Russian economy had been working for war this happened too late and not in the best possible way.
4. The "all important cadres" were a HUGE problem, especially on a high level: most of the front level commanders proved to be not up to the task. Their gradual replacement during the time of peace with the more capable junior generals would be an extremely painful process with the unclear outcome: who and how would define that what a person is capable of? Surely, NN should not be appointed commander in chief but then who?
5. Priorities had to be clearly recognized and most of the huge funds and efforts wasted on updated the Russian Navy could be better spent upon improving army's armament, especially in the areas of a heavy artillery, machine guns and munition production.

BTW, in bringing troops to the front TransSib was not of a primary importance because an overwhelming majority of population lived in European Russia. However, it was vitally important in carrying imports from Vladivostok.

So you are just a little bit ahead of time and a little bit stingier with a compensation. :openedeyewink:
Yep, This was quite deliberate actually, rather than me just being inaccurate with the numbers.

iirc, my principle with most of the labor reforms, was for the approach to be more gradual, so by the time we get to the point when they, IOTL, were introduced, they would've been increased to the OTL numbers a few years prior.

Also glad to see my question did result in discussion, always good to see that

Yep, This was quite deliberate actually, rather than me just being inaccurate with the numbers.

iirc, my principle with most of the labor reforms, was for the approach to be more gradual, so by the time we get to the point when they, IOTL, were introduced, they would've been increased to the OTL numbers a few years prior.

Also glad to see my question did result in discussion, always good to see that
That’s quite reasonable but the labor relations had been one of the items on a long list of problems which had to be addressed for the noticeably better Russian performance in wwi. Industrialization is obvious but there was also a need in a fundamental military reform both on technical (more of a better equipment, which means greater industrialization fast) and ideological/organizational level which would be probably even more problematic: you can produce more rifles but how can you change the mindset of pretty much all military leadership including General Staff? In OTL by the time of RJW the most influential military “thinker” was Dragomirov who denied usefulness of the machine guns and, in general, considered a firepower secondary to the “spirit of the troops”; approach to the field fortifications was still along the lines of the war of 1877-78 (when it already was obsolete) and General Staff clearly was not up to the task of planning even that limited conflict. The top field commanders also were trying to re-fight the previous war. How to force this system to change itself?

BTW, if your Nicholas as capable and intelligent as it seems in the first chapters, the RJW is probably not going to happen: he would stop “Bezobrazov’s adventure” and would not allow Port-Arthur/Dalnii insanity regardless Witte’s advocacy: being Minister of Finances Witte tended to consider only financial aspect of the expansion into China but as a capable ruler of the country Nicholas would have to adopt a broader view which would easily reveal “high risk, low return” potential of the whole schema.

Alrighty, Apologies to those who see a notification and think there's been an update, there hasn't, The countdown to the end of the school year has begun for me, and exams are making it truly fun.

But before I leave, I shall give you a Teaser of the next update. And also just so it is known going forward, My Writing Philosophy for this is to write a story first, and then try to make it historically plausible, so while I'll try to make this as plausible as I can, I'm not gonna seriously restrict myself to making everything 100% plausible, in those cases where i can't I shall invoke Artistic License. Anyways... Teaser Time

1619418583029.png

1619418612183.png

Chapter 4 - The Shots Heard Around The World (1900 - 1908)
To Start this off, This update will focus on the other nations around the world, and their goings-on. Because of this, there will be quite a bit of bouncing between years, hopefully y’all can understand it. The Next Russia update will send us back to the year 1900.

Chapter 4 - The Shots Heard Around The World

roosevelt.png
1900 - America

Washington D.C, America, the year is 1900 and President William McKinley and Vice President Theodore Roosevelt had just won reelection. With McKinley’s First Election, it seemed that the third party system, that of a republican north and democratic south was ending, Republican Dominance was here. Within the Democratic Party, there was talk of a revival of Bourbon Policies, and this was William Jennings Byran’s third nomination as the party’s candidate and he had failed all three times.

Theodore Roosevelt took office as Vice President in March of 1901, but despite his personality, he would be forced to sit on the sidelines of most things, for the next 6 months he would merely preside over the senate for 4 days. During these 6 months however, just days after his inauguration, the Platt Amendment passed [1], which granted Cuba an autonomous government, yet remained a territory under the control and protection of the United States. To satisfy this, an office above their elected head of state was formed and reserved for the American representative, much to the chagrin of the Cuban Populace. Roosevelt would however, on September 2nd, he would find himself speaking at the Minnesota State Fair. At this fair, he would utter a simple proverb that would become intrinsically connected to himself, “Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far.”

2 days later, President McKinley would be shot, and 8 days after that, Vice President Theodore Roosevelt, would take the oath of office, and become the President of the United States. His Presidency would’ve been one of trust-busting, dealing with the breaking up of Northern Securities in Court, and many other actions such as negotiating the Treaty of American-Cuba Reassurance with the Autonomous Republic of Cuba, further enforcing the ability for the American government to intervene in the Autonomous Republic if it presents a threat to the safety and the security of the Cuban people, or their rights to property, life, and personal liberty, This would be commonly known as the Platt Provision. During this time of occupation, a Fringe movement known as the Cuban Statehood Front would begin to grow, wanting Cuba to become an official American State, it was made up of mostly poor Cubans, who had grown to like the administration of Leonard Wood. [2]

In 1905, Roosevelt began his second term, and remembered his election night, and though of how he nearly stated to announce that he would not run in 1908, Roosevelt didn’t plan to run in 1908, but his better judgement told him to not announce such a thing, less it cause his next efforts, now accompanied by a mandate to fulfill them to be stifled. [3]

The Platt Provision would come into use after Cuba’s 1905 Election, after the liberal party in Cuba, believing the Election was rigged, rose in revolt. Secretary of War Taft convinced Roosevelt to send troops back in, and occupy the nation once more. Leonard Wood would be requested to reassure his governorship of Cuba, which he accepted. This would bolster the still fringe Cuban Statehood Front, yet despite the reestablishment of the Republic later on, the Front maintained itself.

In early 1907, The Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court would pass away, as for his replacement, Roosevelt offered the Former Secretary of War, Taft, the position. This however meant that Taft, who was the presumptive republican nominee couldn’t run as Taft was reluctant to run in the first place. Roosevelt began to use his control over the party machinery to draft Governor-General Wood as his successor. Wood would accept the nomination, having won it by a hefty margin despite only nominally running it, likely due to the assistance of Roosevelt. [4]

Following his nomination, Wood would resign as Governor-General of Cuba, His successor would quickly judge that the nation was stable enough for an election, and in 1909, The Autonomous Republic of Cuba was reborn.

1901 - Bremen, Germany

On March 6th, A deranged worker of the name, Johann Dietrich Weiland aimed a pistol at the leaving Kaiser of Germany, and in a second, he would fire. The bullet leapt from the gun and sped along the air, finding its resting place in the shoulder of the Kaiser. [5] Johann would be quickly apprehended, and clearly deranged would be institutionalized. However, The Assassination wasn’t to be, as the Kaiser would survive the ordeal, but he would not fully recover from it.

Having lost a large amount of blood, the Kaiser’s health was severely weakened, and despite his apparent recovery from the assassination until 1903, following his birthday in 1903, he would begin to weaken, with his appointed Chancellor increasing his power within the government as he began to, with or without permission of the ailing Kaiser or in the interest of the Kaiser, act on behalf of the Kaiser. Others would also amass some sort of increased authority, as the Kaiser would become more and more of a figurehead. Yet, Kaiser Wilhelm II would still retain authority, control and power over his government and nation, never being relegated to a mere ceremonial position as a national figure head.

1902 - Persia

A Iranian man by the name of Kambiz Nazeri raised up his rifle, aimed from the window of his apartment, and on December, 23, 1903, fired. The Bullet would find itself in the ground after passing through the neck of Vladimir Andreevich Kosogovsky, Commander of the Persian Cossack Brigade. [6]

His successor would be Fyodor Grigorievich Chernozubov, a man who was not fit to lead such a unit, for he lacked an ability to manage logistics, and couldn’t comprehend the composition of the brigade. Upon hearing of this, the Shah would suffer a heart attack, he would recover but he would not return to full health. As he lived vicariously following his brief meeting with death, he would be, a year later, forced to increase tariffs in order to pay for a Russian loan that he took to fund his living expenses [7]. With discontent rising in the Shahdom, The Brigade would come under pressure, and with discontent rising in the brigade, officers would only reluctantly follow the orders of the Commander.

This issue wouldn’t be helped following the attack on the Commander. Seeing him unfit for duty, the Brigade Mutinied, and fell into disarray as it descended into factionalism over who should be the next leader. Chernozubov would be relieved of command and shifted over to another unit while Vladimir Liakhov would eventually be able to secure control over the Brigade.

The Collapse of the Brigade would eventually spark the Persian Constitutional Revolution. At the tail end of 1905, a few months after the brigade reorganized itself, the Shah would sign a constitution, and within a few weeks, would die of a second heart attack.

His successor would attempt to undo the actions of his late father, and remove the constitution. This resulted in the Shelling of the Majlis by the Brigade. In the chaos of the attack, perceived traitors to the Revolution such as Sheikh Fazlollah Noori would be executed, though it would be claimed that it was done by Russian Shells, the bodies of the “traitor” would quickly be burned. Following this, the situation seemed to calm down, however that was quickly proven to be a farce as protests erupted across the nation. Russia and Britain both attended the Anglo-Russian Convention of 1906 to establish clear boundaries of their spheres of influence. The British had agreed to shift support to the Shah and away from the constitutionalists a month after the convention. But during that month, it became clear that Russia was losing control over their sphere of influence in Persia as the Brigade was ordered to the border of Russia and Persia, and following this, the British declined to follow the agreement.

Nicholas, having thought about the decision for weeks, and as he would later say for the rest of his reign, against his better judgement, order the Brigade to return the Russian Border, as he wished to avoid an intervention so soon after the sacking of Dragomovic. [8] A young Lieutenant in the brigade at the time, Reza Pahlavi, would stay behind, forming the Persian National Brigade, a Successor to the Cossack Brigade.

In late 1907, The Pro-British PM would fall from grace and a Nationalist, Anti-Western, Pro-Republican group would rise to power, something that would weigh the dice towards conflict between Russia, who wanted control over their sphere back, and Persia. And so the dice were to be tossed.

[1] - The Actual Platt Amendment stipulated conditions for American Withdrawal, this TL's version would establish a Cuban protectorate more akin to the Philippines.
[2] - This is an entirely fictional organization.
[3] - Roosevelt avoided that mistake on that night, which in this TL has granted him some increase power to leverage congress with.
[4] - This is where America begins to diverge, Taft is on the Supreme court as he wanted to be, and Roosevelt had found a progressive successor to himself.
[5] - Inour timeline, Johann threw a iron strap at the Kaiser, which only slightly wounded him, in this TL, it is far worse.
[6] - Completely Fictional event, but one that set the dice a-flying in Iran
[7] - The Tariffs and the Loan happen a year in advance, mainly only to shift the events a year earlier to have them happen faster, but uhhhhhh, i didn't tell you that, Capeesh.
[8] - He gets sacked eventually!

Good Evening Everyone, Sorry for the lack of an update, its exam time after all at my school. But I'm curious, and I want some feedback, what would y'all like to be focused on? Should I focus more on the people and characters, or should i focus on a more big picture style. Am I going too fast, going too slow, have I missed anything you would consider important?

Good Evening Everyone, Sorry for the lack of an update, its exam time after all at my school. But I'm curious, and I want some feedback, what would y'all like to be focused on? Should I focus more on the people and characters, or should i focus on a more big picture style. Am I going too fast, going too slow, have I missed anything you would consider important?
Good luck with your exams.

As for feedback, I actually like a mix. So one or two PoV on the big picture changes per update perhaps? As for speed, well, if he wants to majorly impact history and butterfly the outcome of WW1, your updates might have to take smaller steps. There need to be about a million things to set in motion, from upgraded logistics, army reform, better focus on productivity, expanded motor industry, assembly line production to a greater extent, etc etc and those take time and provide plenty of options for character interactions. Ow and my personal favorite: starting the field of ergonomics about 50 years early.

Dear @alexmilman already covered most of them.

Well, if we have NII with the brains, the RJW is avoided, the huge resources spent on Port Arthur and Pacific Fleet are not wasted, TransSib has a line going to Vladivostok completely within Russian territory, ice free port of Murmansk is functional and has a railroad connection, Archangelsk is connected by a railroad with a standard gauge, a lot of attention is paid to the condition of the existing railroads and there is a comprehensive plan of their operations in the case of war which includes the private railroads as well. Instead of a meaningless naval buildup the resources are spent on production of heavy field artillery, machine guns and ammunition with, again, a comprehensive plan for industry mobilization in the case of war. There should be a plan for government purchasing an agricultural produce at a fixed price (with a provision for a forced “purchase”). In OTL most of these issues had been known before the war but addressing them was postponed or “in process” with a resulting need of the war time improvisations which, in the case of railroads equipment, simply did not work out (park of the locomotives and wagons had been shrinking with the well-known disastrous results). In this TL NII can keep Witte in charge of all railroad-related issues with the explicit emphasis on quality, organization and production of a new equipment even at expense of Witte’s pet projects in China.

Within the existing policy inviting the foreign investment a special attention should be paid to the foreign companies producing cars and related equipment: the planes had been using the same engines and Russia heavily depended upon the imports. Domestic production would allow buildup of the Russian aviation before the war: the pilot schools initiated by Alexander Michailovich in OTL could be greatly expanded, role of aviation properly understood (at the start of wwi Russian planes did not have machine guns) all the way to the early production of the OTL “Ilya Muromets” series of the heavy bombers. Probably the cost would be much lower than for one of the useless dreadnoughts.

There should be expanded trade relations with the US, especially in the area of purchasing the locomotives. In OTL happened only during the war and too late. Probably some of the gold reserve has to be held in the US banks not to be fully dependent on France in a critical moment.
All of this, but also the other points Alex mentioned. Except for one thing in this one: The RJW if fought a little smarter might bring a couple of benefits: incentive and motive for reforms in the Army, reforms in logistics, more understanding of supply needs in modern warfare, annexing Manchuria and if Makarov is saved by the butterflies you might skip the losing the Navy twice but still realise its worthless except for coast line protection. That requires other smaller more modern ships.
4. The "all important cadres" were a HUGE problem, especially on a high level: most of the front level commanders proved to be not up to the task. Their gradual replacement during the time of peace with the more capable junior generals would be an extremely painful process with the unclear outcome: who and how would define that what a person is capable of? Surely, NN should not be appointed commander in chief but then who?
Another point the RJW can help with. Cause the WW1 leadership frankly was so bad its hard to believe it wasnt a ASB trying to screw Russia

Last edited:
Chapter 5 - The Rumble of Industry (1900)
Taking the advice of folks, This update will be a slower pace than my usual updates, largely trying to focus this world's Nicholas II and his thoughts on Russia and what it needs to do, Rather than the more "Broad Strokes" Approach (That's what I'll call it at least) that my previous updates were. This doesn't mean Changes to Russia don't occur, they do, its just on a smaller scale than what i have been writing about, and because of that, took me a while longer to write about, despite it being the same length of my past updates, cause well, I'll be Frank, as much as i love this period of Russia History, and just find Russian History interesting in general, my knowledge of it is not extremely deep, so i do appreciate y'alls comments, as some of you, (*cough* *cough* Alexmilman *cough*) seem far more knowledgeable about this period of History. So, yeah, it took me a while to be confidant about the stuff i was writing about to be correct enough, to actually put down on paper and send it to the timeline. (Btw, if anyone has reading material of this era of Russian History, send the name of the book my way). So yeah, Anyways, Onto the Update....

Chapter 5 - The Rumble of Industry

1623566115710.png

January 1900,

St. Petersburg, The Family had relocated to the Winter Palace for the winter months, and Nicholas had decided to brave the cold that night. As he stood out on the balcony, looking out over the city. Something about it angered him, it angered him greatly. The cause of this anger was cryptic, and the anger in of itself clouded Nicholas’ mind, preventing him from deciphering whatever it was that troubled him. It could just be the city, and its decadence as the Tsarina put it, or it could be Russia as a whole. Nicholas felt compelled to stay in the cold winter wind that night, if only to figure out what in god’s name was troubling him, but his wife was calling him to the bed, and Nicholas knew he needed to heed that call, it was late, cold, and whatever anger this was, was likely irrational. Caught between two desires, one to stay, and the other to leave, Nicholas fiddled with the glass in his hand, turning it in his hand, before letting it fall to the ground below, shattering, a cathartic release of anger, and with that, off he went to bed.

As Nicholas’ mind faded to darkness, dreams overtook whatever anger he had prior, but whatever reason for this anger, seemingly crept its way into these dreams. Dreams were strange creatures, Nicholas felt, he could never visualize what he saw in a dream, sometimes he could barely describe it, but he always could see what he saw when he was dreaming.

This time, Nicholas found himself in a room with a chalkboard in it, something was off however, and as Nicholas looked closer, he noticed numbers written all around the room. In chalk, ink, and even blood, it was the scribblings of a madman, carved into every inch of the room, numbers numbers and even more numbers. Nicholas lunged towards the door, finding himself in some fantastical factory, the door to the classroom was gone, as gears and pistons chugged along, blowing steam into the tsars face, at some rhythmic beat. Nicholas continued forward, as the beat got louder and louder, then there was a voice. Nicholas turned around to see a man who Nicholas would claim to be John D. Rockefeller, he had read about the American Tycoon before. The man said one thing and it was “The Roar of Industry, do you hear it, my boy.” Nicholas heard a roar behind him, only to turn and see a frigid, empty, St. Petersburg, Nicholas turned again, to see the factory, and Rockefeller was gone.

And then there was a rumble, from beneath the earth. Nicholas understood something in that moment, looking over the buildings, only to hear a howl, a great wind blew over the buildings, bringing snow with it. As Nicholas’ eyes squinted, bracing for the cold air, the wind ripped the buildings apart, and Nicholas descended into the madness that was typical for dreams.

He awoke the next day, got dressed, and was ready to face whatever hell the duties of being Tsar brought him. And that turned out to be Witte, coming to talk about his project in China, for the past few weeks, Witte had been discussing with the Tsar about his work on the enhancement of a warm-water port on the Liaodong Peninsula to be used for military purposes, called Port Arthur, and on the Development of Dalin as another warm-water commercial port. Witte rattled off numbers after numbers, until something inside the Tsar snapped. He couldn’t take this conversation anymore, the numbers faded until they came to a lull in the conversation, and then spoke up.

“Witte, What is the importance of these cities, why is it necessary to maintain an impressive pacific fleet, is it to project our power throughout Asia, i just don’t think its necessary, Port Arthur is lackluster in its usefulness and numerous in its faults, our Trade in the pacific isn’t hampered by our current level of ports there. It's just unnecessary”

“Your Imperial Majesty, I would beg to disagree, if you look at the num-”

“Witte, you are an economist, you see things as numbers, but as Tsar i must prioritize these things, Look out that Window Witte, and you’ll see St. Petersburg, I want you to go and look out that window and tell me if you see a city that could pass as a random European city”

Witte walked over to the window, obliging the Tsar, wondering what this tirade would be about going forward. “I do see a city that could pass as such”

“Yes Witte, You see a city that could pass as such, but not one that is such, Do you want to know what i see, I see a Russian city, with a thin veneer of European modernity, When i look out onto Russia, I see my nation, one that is govern by archaic rules that have remained since before the Industrial Age. Do you hear the roar of Industry in Russia, because i don’t, i hear a rumble, but that rumble doesn’t compare to the Americans, the British or the French, it just doesn’t, sure it gets louder everyday, and that's good, we’ve made good progress but it's not enough” The Tsar sat back down, not realizing he had stood up at some point during his monologue, sure he could point out problems in Russia, or problems with what his government was doing, but could he present alternatives was the bigger question. Both he and Witte sat in silence, thinking about what to say next, that was until the Tsar spoke up again.

“Witte, I want you to focus on the Railroads, increase their construction, and talk with some of the Military folks, Russia has delayed the development of a mobilization plan that involves railroads for far too long, include private railroads, get a line to Vladivostok completely within Russian Territory, and get a line to Murmansk, i want these railways cared for, The Americans proved during their war how vital railways are. And on top of that, I want those initial labor reforms we designed, and then diluted so we can gradually put them in place, well I want them put into place now.”

The Tsar got up from his seat and walked away to his Study, and sat down at his desk. He was unsure of how to move forward, and what he needed to do, and then he thought about it, about what he had just said to Witte, and his vague recollection of his dream the night before. Nicholas pondered for about half a moment, before praying, asking God for some advice, and of course, like most prayers, God wouldn’t answer, not directly at least. But Nicholas pulled out his notepad, and began to scribble in some plans, reforms he wished to see, among those were Land Reform, and Military Reform. Nicholas understood that the former should happen, he just didn’t know how to go further, beyond ordering the reparations the former serfs had to pay be decreased to half of what remained of their debts, which he did order. But the latter Nicholas could do something about the Latter.

Roughly a week later, Nicholas arrived at the Nicholas General Staff Academy, which was named after his namesake, Nicholas I. There he talked to several of the students, which wasn’t his purpose, but Nicholas felt a need to congratulate them on arriving and being a member of the Academy. His true purpose there was to further understand the state and focus of Russia’s Military, and its issues according to the Academics at the Academy. He was surprised to learn of the lack of War games at the Academy, and ordered their reinstatement. But there wasn’t much else he learned from the visit, Though a desire from him did grow to read translated works of other Foreign tacticians, if only to better understand the enemy’s thinking. The first of which he would seek being Clauswitz’s On War. However, the visit wasn’t entirely not useful. There he spoke with Alexander F. Rediger, a Professor at the Academy, Nicholas took an inexplicable liking to the Professor, who Nicholas would, as time went on, become friends with as Nicholas consulted with him in private over Military Matters.

Returning home that night, Nicholas once again found himself at the balcony, which only a week or so ago, started him on that week’s projects, once again, he carried a glass in his hand, and once again, he looked out to St. Petersburg, but this time he wasn’t angry. He was pulling Russia into the future, or trying to at least. It may have to kick and scream, but it’ll move into the future. Nicholas looked out, and saw not an archaic nation with a veneer of modernity draped over it, but a Nation that would soon become worthy of its Status. And with that thought Nicholas went back to his bed, and that night, his dreams were calm.

Last edited:
Great update! I also like the hint of trying to finding more acolytes.

I was thinking on those lines like:
<big business mogul one>: when the Tzar summoned you went, even when you were the best industrial in the country. And especially when he invites you to his secret factory, that is producing way more than it should based on its size and staff. Even his best spies weren't able to tell him how the Tzar had done that. But why did the Tzar invite the other ten? Especially him, that big mouth <big business mogul two>.

<some more grumbling and maybe some interaction>
<Tzar speech on new era of industrialization and Russia being the workshop of the world, met with semi positive sceptism>
<guided tour with focus on assembly line, ergonomics, kanban/lean + announcement of a bonus for the first 4 that can show they implemented it correctly at scale>
<business mogul 1 looking at business mogul 2 looking too smug, vowing to the be the first as that gets the biggest bonus>

The tldr; is finding how to make smart people do the work for you, as you can't do everything yourself. Ow and poaching great people and inventions obviously

Taking the advice of folks, This update will be a slower pace than my usual updates, largely trying to focus this world's Nicholas II and his thoughts on Russia and what it needs to do, Rather than the more "Broad Strokes" Approach (That's what I'll call it at least) that my previous updates were. This doesn't mean Changes to Russia don't occur, they do, its just on a smaller scale than what i have been writing about, and because of that, took me a while longer to write about, despite it being the same length of my past updates, cause well, I'll be Frank, as much as i love this period of Russia History, and just find Russian History interesting in general, my knowledge of it is not extremely deep, so i do appreciate y'alls comments, as some of you, (*cough* *cough* Alexmilman *cough*) seem far more knowledgeable about this period of History. So, yeah, it took me a while to be confidant about the stuff i was writing about to be correct enough, to actually put down on paper and send it to the timeline. (Btw, if anyone has reading material of this era of Russian History, send the name of the book my way). So yeah, Anyways, Onto the Update....

Chapter 5 - The Rumble of Industry

View attachment 658898

January 1900,

St. Petersburg, The Family had relocated to the Winter Palace for the winter months, and Nicholas had decided to brave the cold that night. As he stood out on the balcony, looking out over the city. Something about it angered him, it angered him greatly. The cause of this anger was cryptic, and the anger in of itself clouded Nicholas’ mind, preventing him from deciphering whatever it was that troubled him. It could just be the city, and its decadence as the Tsarina put it, or it could be Russia as a whole. Nicholas felt compelled to stay in the cold winter wind that night, if only to figure out what in god’s name was troubling him, but his wife was calling him to the bed, and Nicholas knew he needed to heed that call, it was late, cold, and whatever anger this was, was likely irrational. Caught between two desires, one to stay, and the other to leave, Nicholas fiddled with the glass in his hand, turning it in his hand, before letting it fall to the ground below, shattering, a cathartic release of anger, and with that, off he went to bed.

As Nicholas’ mind faded to darkness, dreams overtook whatever anger he had prior, but whatever reason for this anger, seemingly crept its way into these dreams. Dreams were strange creatures, Nicholas felt, he could never visualize what he saw in a dream, sometimes he could barely describe it, but he always could see what he saw when he was dreaming.

This time, Nicholas found himself in a room with a chalkboard in it, something was off however, and as Nicholas looked closer, he noticed numbers written all around the room. In chalk, ink, and even blood, it was the scribblings of a madman, carved into every inch of the room, numbers numbers and even more numbers. Nicholas lunged towards the door, finding himself in some fantastical factory, the door to the classroom was gone, as gears and pistons chugged along, blowing steam into the tsars face, at some rhythmic beat. Nicholas continued forward, as the beat got louder and louder, then there was a voice. Nicholas turned around to see a man who Nicholas would claim to be John D. Rockefeller, he had read about the American Tycoon before. The man said one thing and it was “The Roar of Industry, do you hear it, my boy.” Nicholas heard a roar behind him, only to turn and see a frigid, empty, St. Petersburg, Nicholas turned again, to see the factory, and Rockefeller was gone.

And then there was a rumble, from beneath the earth. Nicholas understood something in that moment, looking over the buildings, only to hear a howl, a great wind blew over the buildings, bringing snow with it. As Nicholas’ eyes squinted, bracing for the cold air, the wind ripped the buildings apart, and Nicholas descended into the madness that was typical for dreams.

He awoke the next day, got dressed, and was ready to face whatever hell the duties of being Tsar brought him. And that turned out to be Witte, coming to talk about his project in China, for the past few weeks, Witte had been discussing with the Tsar about his work on the enhancement of a warm-water port on the Liaodong Peninsula to be used for military purposes, called Port Arthur, and on the Development of Dalin as another warm-water commercial port. Witte rattled off numbers after numbers, until something inside the Tsar snapped. He couldn’t take this conversation anymore, the numbers faded until they came to a lull in the conversation, and then spoke up.

“Witte, What is the importance of these cities, why is it necessary to maintain an impressive pacific fleet, is it to project our power throughout Asia, i just don’t think its necessary, Port Arthur is lackluster in its usefulness and numerous in its faults, our Trade in the pacific isn’t hampered by our current level of ports there. It's just unnecessary”

“Your Imperial Majesty, I would beg to disagree, if you look at the num-”

“Witte, you are an economist, you see things as numbers, but as Tsar i must prioritize these things, Look out that Window Witte, and you’ll see St. Petersburg, I want you to go and look out that window and tell me if you see a city that could pass as a random European city”

Witte walked over to the window, obliging the Tsar, wondering what this tirade would be about going forward. “I do see a city that could pass as such”

“Yes Witte, You see a city that could pass as such, but not one that is such, Do you want to know what i see, I see a Russian city, with a thin veneer of European modernity, When i look out onto Russia, I see my nation, one that is govern by archaic rules that have remained since before the Industrial Age. Do you hear the roar of Industry in Russia, because i don’t, i hear a rumble, but that rumble doesn’t compare to the Americans, the British or the French, it just doesn’t, sure it gets louder everyday, and that's good, we’ve made good progress but it's not enough” The Tsar sat back down, not realizing he had stood up at some point during his monologue, sure he could point out problems in Russia, or problems with what his government was doing, but could he present alternatives was the bigger question. Both he and Witte sat in silence, thinking about what to say next, that was until the Tsar spoke up again.

“Witte, I want you to focus on the Railroads, increase their construction, and talk with some of the Military folks, Russia has delayed the development of a mobilization plan that involves railroads for far too long, include private railroads, get a line to Vladivostok completely within Russian Territory, and get a line to Murmansk, i want these railways cared for, The Americans proved during their war how vital railways are. And on top of that, I want those initial labor reforms we designed, and then diluted so we can gradually put them in place, well I want them put into place now.”

The Tsar got up from his seat and walked away to his Study, and sat down at his desk. He was unsure of how to move forward, and what he needed to do, and then he thought about it, about what he had just said to Witte, and his vague recollection of his dream the night before. Nicholas pondered for about half a moment, before praying, asking God for some advice, and of course, like most prayers, God wouldn’t answer, not directly at least. But Nicholas pulled out his notepad, and began to scribble in some plans, reforms he wished to see, among those were Land Reform, and Military Reform. Nicholas understood that the former should happen, he just didn’t know how to go further, beyond ordering the reparations the former serfs had to pay be decreased to half of what remained of their debts, which he did order. But the latter Nicholas could do something about the Latter.

Roughly a week later, Nicholas arrived at the Nicholas General Staff Academy, which was named after his namesake, Nicholas I. There he talked to several of the students, which wasn’t his purpose, but Nicholas felt a need to congratulate them on arriving and being a member of the Academy. His true purpose there was to further understand the state and focus of Russia’s Military, and its issues according to the Academics at the Academy. He was surprised to learn of the lack of War games at the Academy, and ordered their reinstatement. But there wasn’t much else he learned from the visit, Though a desire from him did grow to read translated works of other Foreign tacticians, if only to better understand the enemy’s thinking. The first of which he would seek being Clauswitz’s On War. However, the visit wasn’t entirely not useful. There he spoke with Alexander F. Rediger, a Professor at the Academy, Nicholas took an inexplicable liking to the Professor, who Nicholas would, as time went on, become friends with as Nicholas consulted with him in private over Military Matters. Something the Professor did point out, was a student at the Academy, a one, Alexander A. Svechin. Nicholas personally congratulated the boy, and when he returned home, wrote the name of him down in his notebook with the tagline, keep an eye on him, next to it.

Returning home that night, Nicholas once again found himself at the balcony, which only a week or so ago, started him on that week’s projects, once again, he carried a glass in his hand, and once again, he looked out to St. Petersburg, but this time he wasn’t angry. He was pulling Russia into the future, or trying to at least. It may have to kick and scream, but it’ll move into the future. Nicholas looked out, and saw not an archaic nation with a veneer of modernity draped over it, but a Nation that would soon become worthy of its Status. And with that thought Nicholas went back to his bed, and that night, his dreams were calm.
I like it!

The only tiny bit of a nitpicking is that the students of the General Staff Academy were not “boys”: it admitted officers of all arms of military service up to the rank of stabs-captain inclusive. IIRC, at least 2 years of an active military service as an officer had been required to apply for the entry exam. The course was taking 2 years and A. Svechin graduated in 1903. He was born in 1878 so at the time you are talking about (whichever is a precise year) he either just graduated from the 2nd Cadet corps (1895) or studying in Michailovsky school of artillery (graduated in 1897) or is serving in artillery brigade of Vilna military district (1897-90).

The only tiny bit of a nitpicking is that the students of the General Staff Academy were not “boys”: it admitted officers of all arms of military service up to the rank of stabs-captain inclusive. IIRC, at least 2 years of an active military service as an officer had been required to apply for the entry exam. The course was taking 2 years and A. Svechin graduated in 1903. He was born in 1878 so at the time you are talking about (whichever is a precise year) he either just graduated from the 2nd Cadet corps (1895) or studying in Michailovsky school of artillery (graduated in 1897) or is serving in artillery brigade of Vilna military district (1897-90).
Ah, Shoot, could've sworn it was 3 years at the Academy, which would've put him there, and as for the "boys" part, this is what I get for doing most of my writing at midnight and past.

Ah, Shoot, could've sworn it was 3 years at the Academy, which would've put him there, and as for the "boys" part, this is what I get for doing most of my writing at midnight and past.
As I said, these are the minor glitches (and the way to confirm your excessively flattering opinion of me 😂) which have no impact on narrative in general: in any scenario Nicholas is not going to promote Svechin into a fieldmarshal on the first meeting. 😂

Edit:

I did some digging and (short of the “boy” part 😂) it fits your initial narrative even better than I expected. Svechin started publishing his works from 1899. He was publishing his works of that period in “The Artillery Journal”: “Regarding “integration” of artillery” and “Rate of fire in the field batteries”. In these articles he provided a critical analysis of the existing practices and made practical proposals regarding integration of the newly-arriving field batteries with those already in a position (seems to be a novel idea because he stressed a need to practice it in a peace time) http://swetschin.narod.ru/others/Du..._Activity_of_Alexander_Andreevich_Svechin.pdf

Svechin did entered the Academy in 1900 (October 1900 - May 1903, he took an additional course; this was a source of confusion ). so there could be a meaningful meeting between him and Nicholas if Nicholas read the “Artillery Journal”, paid attention to these articles, got impressed and bothered to find out who “A.S.” (a pen name) is. So perhaps you can re-enter the relevant piece back to the chapter as an intentional meeting planned by Nicholas who wanted to have face-to-face conversation with a promising young officer.

(sorry for the confusion). 😢

Last edited:
Edit:

I did some digging and (short of the “boy” part 😂) it fits your initial narrative even better than I expected. Svechin started publishing his works from 1899. He was publishing his works of that period in “The Artillery Journal”: “Regarding “integration” of artillery” and “Rate of fire in the field batteries”. In these articles he provided a critical analysis of the existing practices and made practical proposals regarding integration of the newly-arriving field batteries with those already in a position (seems to be a novel idea because he stressed a need to practice it in a peace time) http://swetschin.narod.ru/others/Du..._Activity_of_Alexander_Andreevich_Svechin.pdf

Svechin did entered the Academy in 1900 (October 1900 - May 1903, he took an additional course; this was a source of confusion ). so there could be a meaningful meeting between him and Nicholas if Nicholas read the “Artillery Journal”, paid attention to these articles, got impressed and bothered to find out who “A.S.” (a pen name) is. So perhaps you can re-enter the relevant piece back to the chapter as an intentional meeting planned by Nicholas who wanted to have face-to-face conversation with a promising young officer.

(sorry for the confusion). 😢
Ah, No worries mate, and seeing as the next update i had planned to focus more on Military matters, it appears the universe has found a way to support me. Guess I know what to write about tonight as a likely mini-update or something.

Dominic Lieven's "The End of Tsarist Russia" is an excellent source on the last years of the Empire. It's especially good for your purposes as it doesn't consider the fall of the Tsardom inevitable, and so can give some insight in what should happen in your timeline.

Ah, No worries mate, and seeing as the next update i had planned to focus more on Military matters, it appears the universe has found a way to support me. Guess I know what to write about tonight as a likely mini-update or something.
Of course, there is a catch 22. In OTL Svechin, who was an artillery officer, joined the RJW as an infantry officer (with an attestation that he "almost ready to command a company" and resulting questions about his qualification) and developed some of his views based upon this experience.

Of what I know, it was a rejection of the generally enforced salvo fire, importance of the individual shooting practice and, an anathema at that time, a denial of Dragomirov's paradigm that the most important things are spirit of the troops and bayonet charge (*) with a resulting requirement that the bayonet was permanently attached to the rifle. Plus, there were some meaningful tactical observations regarding the war in mountains, tactical cooperation of the front-line units in offense and defense, field communications, etc..

Now, if as it seemingly following from your latest chapter, Nicholas is reversing the OTL policy of the aggressive expansion on the Far East, then there is no reason for the RJW happening and Svechin does not have the 1st hand experience. But there is a conveniently going on the Boer War which definitely can provide a valuable material regarding the well-aimed fire vs. bayonet and some other tactical issues (**). Some other ideas he can develop simply by applying a critical thinking to the existing practices; like deployment of the field phones (importance of having communications between the neighboring frontline units and a conclusion that the main flow of information must go from the front to the staff and not other way around) , artillery role as a supporting tool of the infantry, etc.

________
(*) If this was still applicable, Zulu and Matabele would be unbeatable (replace assegai with a bayonet and you have Dragomirov's ideal soldier). x'D
(**) Following the old wisdom that only a fool is learning from his own mistakes (which, actually was a traditional modus operandi of the Russian military).

But @alexmilman, he can also postpone the RJW and have a better supplied (and led?) Imperial Army, snagging up Manchuria. Then dump the Balkans as the dumpster fire they are. Though I'm not sure how viable the latter is regarding the public opinion

Edit: and double tracking would be great, but he needs to find a gold cheat or another fat wallet of cash somewhere to fund that. Mir mine 50 years early?

Edit2: Mmm Diamonds are cool and expensive, but don't have the bulk. We need some more funds from a different sort. Eg the other metals

Edit3: reread your complaints against the Manchurian annexation. I disagree because I feel that it would bring high quality farmland, even more natural resources and takes away the ability for Japan (pre ww2) & China (post-Mao) to grow as big as it did. But to be fair, that's all with hindsight, the famines and the wars contributed to that PoV.

Last edited:
But Alex, he can also postpone the RJW and have a better supplied (and led?) Imperial Army, snagging up Manchuria. Then dump the Balkans as the dumpster fire they are. Though I'm not sure how viable the latter is regarding the public opinion

Edit: and double tracking would be great, but he needs to find a gold cheat or another fat wallet of cash somewhere to fund that. Mir mine 50 years early?

Edit2: Mmm Diamonds are cool and expensive, but don't have the bulk. We need some more funds from a different sort. Eg the other metals
But if OTL Nicholas had a tiny bit of a sense (which is the case in this TL), why would he need the RJW at all? It did not serve any meaningful Russian purpose to start with because Russian commercial and colonial interests in the Northern China were not disputed by Japan. So, if there are no "irritation points" (Port Arthur/Dalnii (*) and Russian expansion into Korea), Japan has no reason for starting a risky and costly war.

Then, the Russian Army in Manchuria could not be realistically strengthened up to the level needed for a war on the equivalent conditions. Two army corps had been placed on a huge territory including Zabaikalie, Pacific coast and Manchuria and it was taking at least a month to get the new troops into the area while the Japanese needed approximately 3 days. Initial numbers in OTL (Russia:Japan):

Troops (thousands): 122:150 (375 after mobilization); artillery: 148:1,140; machineguns: 8:147. Plus, while Japan had a modern fleet, both Russian Pacific and Baltic fleets had a lot of the old ships, especially as far as the battleships were involved.

The TransSib in its OTL state would be hard pressed to deliver the needed extra troops, artillery and supplies (the participants had been referencing to the shortage of ammunition of all types). As far as the leadership is involved, even the TransSib would not help. x'D Kuropatkin was a very good staff officer and administrator but by his experience and personal character he was not suited for the role of an independent battle commander, being too cautious and lacking initiative. Linevich (his OTL replacement) was not better (and who of the available generals of a needed rank was unquestionably better?) and the underlying level of command was, in general, not up to date as far as the military developments were involved. Judging by the memories of Count Ignatiev who served as Kuropatkin's aid, the Russian army did not even had the maps of a theater of operation which was under Russian occupation for few years and the commanders still had been prone to the "Suvorov-style" orders (aka, a bayonet charge as an answer to all problems).

Postponing the would, of course, allow to increase the numbers and perhaps even to accumulate some supplies but Russian army still needed serious reforms before getting into a serious war with a chance of success. Of course, in this TL one huge handicap is gone: Russian Pacific Fleet (mostly useless, anyway) is safe in Vladivostok with a possibility to conduct the raiding operations on Japanese communications using light cruisers and the steamers of Dobroflot armed as the auxiliary cruisers. Plus, the resources wasted on Port Arthur could be used in a more meaningful manner.

But, as I already said, Russia simply did not have any reason for that war and, with the policy changes, neither would Japan. And to start a war with the main purpose being to get an experience would be slightly too bizarre even for the Imperial Russia. ;)

_______
(*) With the change of a policy coming in 1900, Russia would have to rollback some of the earlier activities: Russian-Chinese agreement regarding lease of Port-Arthur was signed in 1898. But Japan can be informed that Russia is not going to build the bases there and the whole lease can be dropped without raising any noticeable noise in Russia (only those expecting to get profit from a planed construction would be unhappy). Plan of the fortifications was confirmed only in 1900 so by the time of POD the construction did not start, yet, and the idea can be easily abandoned. Not to mention that a proposed plan of the fortifications would not stand up to any meaningful criticism. Due to the budgetary restrictions, the perimeter was to narrow and did not include the domineering heights and the fortifications themselves had been too weak to stand up to the modern heavy artillery. If Japanese did not waste time and energy trying to take it from the sea and concentrated on the land-side siege from the very start, Port Arthur would fall even faster.

Last edited:
But, as I already said, Russia simply did not have any reason for that war and, with the policy changes, neither would Japan. And to start a war with the main purpose being to get an experience would be slightly too bizarre even for the Imperial Russia. ;)
Well OTL Russia nearly won because Japan couldn't sustain the war, a better wake up call cannot be found. But let's go back to your premise that Russia didn't have a good enough reason. I actually agree with you, especially you could have divided it up with the Japanese as was suggested before in this timeline by @jessicajsscjs, but this time I've quoted from Wiki (as unreliable as that is)
Seeing Russia as a rival, Japan offered to recognize Russian dominance in Manchuria in exchange for recognition of Korea being within the Japanese sphere of influence. Russia refused and demanded the establishment of a neutral buffer zone between Russia and Japan in Korea north of the 39th parallel. The Japanese government perceived a threat to their plans for expansion into mainland Asia and chose to go to war. After negotiations broke down in 1904, the Japanese Navy opened hostilities in a surprise attack on 9 February [O.S. 27 January] 1904 by attacking the Russian Eastern Fleet at Port Arthur, China.
Dump the idiotic demand for the bufferzone and give Korea to the Japanese. No war needed.

Edit: Ps, I still think the mindset of the day makes a non ASB Nii go for the war. But if you can argue for no war (which makes sense) then I want my Manchurian resources 😉

Last edited: