~ The Scratch Project ~

The Scratch Project.PNG
Welcome to the Scratch Project; a collaborative mission to build our very own planet from scratch. We will begin from the ground up – from merely plotting our idea of Scratch’s outlines to designing a mosaic marvel of specific intricacies that make Earth so prodigious. All are welcome to participate.

Rules:

• This thread will not be just be a run of the mill create-a-map game, but creating an entire planet.
  • Don’t be too sensitive about your own work or other’s. We are all grown-ups here. We can take or give criticism. Don’t be harsh or rash, but honest.
  • If somebody's idea is not good, we just will not use it. It won’t mean they will be banned, barred, or ignored from the project.
  • All QCCC is welcome.
  • Call me Zach

We will have levels of progress, which are outlined here:

-1.0: Drawing (undetailed) maps of random regions.
-1.1: Detailing regions and coastlines
-1.2: Organizing the regions on a master map
-1.3: Adjusting regions as so you can see tectonic history
-1.4: Determining plates and fault lines.
-1.5: Plotting mountain ranges
-1.6: Plotting Rivers

-2.0: Determining Water Currents
-2.1: Determining Weather Conditions and Patterns
-2.2: Constructing Deserts, Grasslands, and Plains
-2.3: Constructing Forests
-2.4: Plotting Resources
-2.5: Determining arable lands

-3.0: Ballparking a Mitochondrial Eve-

The project will be similar to the Engineering a Planet Thread. Except it is only one world.

Pictures of Cars

The Scratch Project.PNG

Last edited:
C1.PNG
Part 1.0
Drawing (undetailed) maps of random regions.

This will be our first section. You don’t have to be an artist to enter your ideas, just a visionary. There is no need for detail yet. That will come in time.
For now, we will just do one region at a time, unless you already have a map you would like to submit.
Entering maps is half the battle in Part 1.0. QCCC is the other half. We must have input.

C1.PNG

My submission. My favorite types of regions to draw are archipelagos.
Remember, detail is not necessary yet.

S1.1.PNG

S1.1.PNG

Last edited:
Can we have more than one submissions?

This is just a segment of eastern coastline for a continent, with a rather large harbour (bay?) and a large freshwater lake, similar to Lake Superior in depth and retention time.

Byng Coast.png

I'm a fan of island chains too! Here's an island chain between two continents. Sleuvia/Xanades is incorporated at the bottom right. The central island would get lots of trade between the continents. Perhaps it will one day become the centre of a vast maritime empire!

the isles.png

Just an old (and to some extent failed) try to recreate the map of a German pen&paper rpg, which here never got any real attention, so I think this might be a relativly good contribution. For those who want to see the original, here it is.

Also, for those who can't read the text on the map, the continent is originally called Aventurien, or in English Aventuria. Not sure if we should/ could keep it, though.

scratch iserlohn continent.PNG

Last edited:
Could we have a tiny part of the planet be an OTL location?

Here's another (not OTL, the previous question is unrelated to this) region. Celababan

projectscratch.png

I'm a fan of island chains too! Here's an island chain between two continents. Sleuvia/Xanades is incorporated at the bottom right. The central island would get lots of trade between the continents. Perhaps it will one day become the centre of a vast maritime empire!

I was hoping Sleuvia/Xanandes could be bigger...

projectscratch.png

Could we have a tiny part of the planet be an OTL location?

I was hoping Sleuvia/Xanandes could be bigger...

Parts could be similar, but not the same. What did you have in mind?

Size isn't relative for now. Until we get enough regions, we won't focus on size or placement.

Try to be a bit more original. If you want to remold it, fine.
I don't think there's a need to do that since we're adding detail in the next step. As detail is added it will naturally differ from the real landforms.

Last edited:
Ah, I love these kind of projects.

Here's a world map I made once, people can feel free to pull inspiration or even small sections from it.
durmappanov01yi5.png

However, I would like to throw this map in, of my personal fictional nation, Lylybium, so that it can be fitted in somewhere.

novamapblank.png

A little island chain I whipped up. I'm not particularly good at drawing, but I'm good at editing. I'll tell you one thing though, this is based off something from our Earth, and I'll give a cookie to anyone who can figure out what it is.

(Its the Great Lakes)

Untitled.png

OK, may need tweaking, but I'm thinking continent (part) top right, with the main section being the intersection between a sort of Hawaian style (to top left) chain and an Aleutian idea (to bottom left).

Scratch 1.png