The Saudi states do not exist. What other countries could rise in the Arabian Peninsula?

The UAE expands to the rest of the Arabian Peninsula maybe?

That was my first thought. The British for so many reasons would want to influence Arabia and the Trucial States expanding throughout Arabia could be a game changer. Many of the now rich emirates were poor (Dubai for example, previously overshadowed by Sharjah).

What I would expect of the British copying this model is two large federations. One on the Red Sea and another on the south coast of the Arabian/Persian Gulf. The latter would be insanely oil rich, but the former the most populous. Which is a really interesting dynamic.

Potentially they may stay together, but I expect that the oil rich east would be reduced to an extraction economy for the populous west.

and the oil producing regions could possibly get snatched up by Iraq. This would cause quite a conflict as you now have a wealthy and powerful Shi'ite majority country sharing the peninsula with Sunni Hejaz.

This is a photo of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia. It is home to most of Saudi Arabia's oil production. Would the British really allow Iraq to snatch up all of that territory?

So, without the Wahhabism (and somewhat by extension the Saudis), we have a whole lot of butterflies to work with.

1.) There's a possibility that even without the infusion of Wahhabism that the Saudis could have still worked themselves up to be a regional power. While this form of a Saudi polity would be pretty different from our own, it could still come to influence Arabian affairs.

2.) Without the threat of Wahhabism, the Ottomans would be less likely to involve themselves with local Arabian politics. Muhammad Ali, ruler of Egypt, wouldn't campaign in Arabia, which could, in turn, influence his decision to ultimately rise against the Ottomans etc, etc, etc.

3.)Without the Saudis, the interior would remain a tribal patchwork, with the Rashids, Hashemites, Kuwaitis, and the Emirates each claiming their own peripheral segment of the Arabian interior. A clan-oriented conflict would probably default from Rashid-Saudi (as it had been for much of the 18th and 19th centuries) to Rashid-Hashemite. How that shakes out? I couldn't tell you, but without the Saudis, I think the mantle of a mini-Prussia-like unifying force falls to either the Rashids or the Hashemites.

4.) Come post-WW1, the Hashemites would have to deal with fewer threats, potentially ensuring the creation of 3 Hashemite-led states, two of which have large oil reserves and large Shi'a populations, both of which make for trouble in their own special ways...

Those are just a few that come to mind off the top of my head.

Muhammad Ali, ruler of Egypt, wouldn't campaign in Arabia, which could, in turn, influence his decision to ultimately rise against the Ottomans etc, etc, etc.

What did his campaign in Arabia have to do with his uprising against the Ottomans? What happened as a result of his uprising in OTL?

What did his campaign in Arabia have to do with his uprising against the Ottomans? What happened as a result of his uprising in OTL?

It gave him a lot of military clout, hardened the Egyptian army and gave him enough confidence that he could take on the Ottomans. He made it to Aleppo before being turned back. It was a greatly destabilizing experience for the Ottomans.

Last edited:

Deleted member 109224

Kuwait likely retains it's territorial claims on eastern Arabia. OTL they lost 2/3 of their territory at the Uqair Conference.

The Rashidis likely hold on to Najd.

The Emirate of Asir and Kingdom of Hijaz likely survive.

Deleted member 109224

upload_2019-2-14_9-48-43.png

This is a photo of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia. It is home to most of Saudi Arabia's oil production. Would the British really allow Iraq to snatch up all of that territory?

Not necessarily all of it. But without the Saudis, the Basra Vilayet might get enlarged, and then subsequently handed over to Iraq following WWI.