The Rise of the Dragon: An Altered History of the World Wrestling Federation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumably in this the UFC is butterflied away?

I would imagine so, unfortunately. But that's six years into the future at this point ITTL, so we'll see what happens.

I never knew there was a lost dub of Dragon Ball, but it's always nice to see some wider cultural changes at work.

Love your TL btw !

Thanks!

I didn't know it, either, until just last year. I can't find any Youtube vids or anything of the lost dub, but there are some sound bites from it here. (And may I just say: in retrospect, Barbara Goodson was a very, very questionable choice to voice young Goku in the lost dub. :()

Interesting butterflies. That hint of an altered Sailor Moon is also interesting too. I personally don't like Harmony Gold because they are the reason the US will likely never see a localization of Macross Frontier. [I love Shoji Kawamori's works].

Nice to see Wendee Lee mentioned. I'll have to look up some late 80s anime to see if there are any other ones that could become bigger in the West.

EDIT: 1987 had a few good series start. City Hunter's anime began April 1987, The first Bubblegum Crisis OVA was from February 1987(and with characters who were named after Blade Runner characters, I could see this being bigger). There is also Kimagure Orange Road which is also started April 1987. Saint Seiya was ongoing was well(started in 1986).

All of those anime you mentioned are probably roughly as OTL, but I have no plans to make any of them mega-sensations stateside. Stay tuned for future developments, though.

A note on the AWA: the start of Hulkamania was in the AWA, arguably.

At Super Sunday 1983, the fans wanted to see Hogan beat Bockwinkel (and Bockwinkel probably would have been happy to lose to Hogan, IMO), but Verne Gagne had Bockwinkel win in a reverse decision. The crowd almost rioted over this, and Gagne ignored this sign.

When he didn't get the AWA title, Hogan bolted to the WWF and the rest, as they say, is history.

The Super Sunday match is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFVWro5_umM

One of the dumbest decisions in wrestling (and that's saying something), and this was the beginning of the end for the AWA, IMO.

Ric Flair also got his start here, as did Shawn Michaels.

One of Gagne's major problems, IMO, was how much he refused to let go of the past and let newer, younger wrestlers hold the AWA Title (With the exception of Curt Hennig, who really only held it because his dad was friends with Verne).

Unfortunately (spoiler alert!): I don't see that changing much ITTL. :(

Interesting... Color me subscribed. How long until we see the Ultimate Warrior, Henning, and Shawn Michaels in TTL's WWF? (Or did I miss something?) Steamboat raising the game of the top tier will have some powerful butterflies. Only a few years to go until the Undertaker, too... :D

Interesting... Color me subscribed. How long until we see the Ultimate Warrior, Henning, and Shawn Michaels in TTL's WWF? (Or did I miss something?) Steamboat raising the game of the top tier will have some powerful butterflies. Only a few years to go until the Undertaker, too... :D

Welcome aboard!

At this point in the TL, Jim Hellwig is recently departed from World Class Championship Wrestling (where he was known as "Dingo Warrior"), and Hennig and Michaels are performing in Verne Gagne's AWA (where Hennig is the AWA World Heavyweight Champion, I might add!).

Rest assured, I'll definitely be devoting a post to Mr. Mark Callaway in a couple of years. ;)

Question: why do you think Vince wouldn't go with Piper-Steamboat as a stopgap, buying time for him to find a Hogan-type babybace who either could feud with Hogan when he returned, or take over for Hogan if necessary:

* Hacksaw Duggan, at this time working for Jim Watts in Mid-South Wrestling

* Kerry Von Erich, working for World Class in Texas

*Randy Savage, feuding with Jerry Lawler in Memphis.

(Maybe it's because those are the only options outside the WWF that McMahon thinks Steamboat-Piper 'might work')

What I'm interested in here, is what makes McMahon change his booking philosophy, and his change in mindset if this is to become the "Era of the Dragon".

The last post implied that Steamboat saw a golden opportunity for himself and took the time to sell the Piper match to McMahon. It also implies him going all-out to sell himself in the build-up and pay-off of the feud, as the top face in the company, hence the Rise of the Dragon.

KVE wouldn't be avaliable. He had just won the NWA title. He lost it quick, but Vince would know that it was due to drug problems. On top of that, World Class was thinking of going national. That said, if World Class remained part of the NWA, would they work more closely with UWF or Crockett? Guessing no and they'd still try to go national.

the Freebirds aren't an option either, Vince did use them a couple of times- but they didn't want to work for him because he wanted to split them up.

One name not mentioned who might work- Rick Martel. Another possibility is Sgt.Slaughter- both in the AWA. Might hasten AWA's demise. Is it too early for Bam Bam Bigelow- I could see him as a slim possibility as well.

Another name possibility that I could see doing well that never went to WWF- Chris Adams. He had his own demons though. Great babyface and very good heel in the mid-80s.

Steamboat is not really a possibility at this point, especially coming in this new with no build. My guess is most likely Slaughter gets the first shot in such a scenario.

Another thing, I wonder how WWF's transition to a more athletic wrestling-based style will impact the careers of certain mid-card talents (like your Mr.Perfects and your Rick Martels) and the success of other feds. Would UWF last longer, could it hurt or help NWA with Ric Flair (Flair and Steamboat as rivals now means a lot more)

I could see it hurting the muscleheads- hopefully that doesn't butterfly away Sting, because he was viewed as one even if he did develop into a great wrestler.

Would Vince try to recruit more big men, maybe "Baby Bull" Leon White aka Vader?

Last edited:
March-April 1987: The Unification of the NWA
The "Unification" of the NWA

owCN3Sq.jpg

March 19, 1987

At a TV taping for Jim Crockett Wrestling, Magnum T.A. makes his first television appearance since Starrcade ’86. He congratulates Ron Garvin for winning the United States Championship at the pay-per-view and wishes him well as champion, and also states that once he heals completely, he has his sights set on Ric Flair’s NWA World Title. Ironically, despite Magnum’s kind words about Garvin, the United States Champion is forced to defend his title against Arn Anderson later in the broadcast, and much to Garvin’s (and Magnum’s) chagrin, Tully Blanchard and Barry Windham distract the referee toward the end of the match, allowing Anderson to hit Garvin with a spinebuster and pin him to win the match and the U.S. Championship.

April 12, 1987

Jim Crockett Jr., owner of Jim Crockett Promotions and acting president of the National Wrestling Alliance, drummed his fingers on the table cautiously. “I understand your predicament, Bill, I really do…but I just can’t go that high.”

Mid-South owner “Cowboy” Bill Watts sighed. This decision to sell Mid-South Wrestling to Crockett and effectively have it absorbed into Crockett’s NWA territory was not one he had wanted to make, but now, it seemed like he had no choice. The oil price spike in Oklahoma had taken a serious toll on his gate receipts, and while his television program was still getting good ratings, they were nowhere near what they once were. It was like the old saying in the wrestling business went: if you can’t draw them in, you’re not doing your job. Thus, he frowned, and sighed heavily. “Alright,” he replied, looking across the table at Crockett. “If that’s the best you can do, then so be it…” [1]

Mid-South Wrestling commentator Jim Ross, acting as a mediator, nodded slowly, and lifted a small stack of stapled, hand-typed papers to his face before beginning to read them aloud. “This is to certify that Bill Watts’ Universal Wrestling Federation, formerly known as Mid-South Wrestling, is to be merged into Jim Crockett, Jr.’s Continental Wrestling Association…” He went on for a few more lines, skimming over some more unimportant parts, then placed the papers on the table. The soft ‘thud’ echoed throughout the conference room. “I guess all that’s left to do is to sign…go ahead.”

Crockett nodded, and picked up a pen beside him. He glanced to his right, seeing his son David Crockett, his head bookers Dusty Rhodes and Ole Anderson, and his acting champion Ric Flair sitting down the table from him. He twitched the corner of his mouth up in a faint smile to them, then, with little hesitation, signed his name neatly at the bottom of the page. He then looked up at Watts, and slid the document across the table to him.

Watts took the document from Crockett, and looked down at it. He scanned the writing on the page, every word of it, before his eyes were drawn down to Crockett’s signature. He then looked down the table at some of the men sitting on his side of it: Ted DiBiase, Terry Taylor, and the man who was probably the final UWF Heavyweight Champion, George “One Man Gang” Gray. The Mid-South territory had existed for over thirty years, and if he put his signature on this paper, it would essentially be gone forever. Still, his promotion, now officially known as the Universal Wrestling Federation (renamed by Watts himself partly to distance the territory from its “southern” stereotype) had lost copious amounts of money in the recent months. Although the television deal had helped its viewers and increased its popularity, the UWF’s gate receipts had plummeted. This was partly due to the oil price surge—people were in a major recession in Oklahoma. They were short on money, and weren’t coming out to wrestling shows like they had been historically. But ironically, the money losses were partly due to the television deal as well. After all, why would someone spend money to come see their favorite wrestlers when they could watch them on television for free? [2]

Watts hesitated as long as he could. If he signed his name on this contract, there would be no turning back. Still, he was at the end of his proverbial rope, and he had to be bailed out somehow. Besides, as per the contract, the UWF television show would remain on the air, and lots of UWF talent would be showcased and (hopefully) pushed by Jim Crockett Promotions. [3] In addition, the UWF Heavyweight and Tag Team Championships would continue to exist for the time being, possibly to be unified with NWA championships at a later date. Taking solace from these facts, Watts slowly put the pen to the paper, and signed his name.

Crockett nodded, smiling faintly as he took the contract back from Watts. He stood up from the table and leaned across it, holding out his hand for his former rival-turned-semi-partner. “Bill, I assure you: your territory is gonna live on through JCP.”

Bill cocked his eyebrow as he looked up at Crockett, then slowly stood up. “You’ll treat my guys well, won’t you? Most of ‘em are damn good guys.”

“Of course,” Crockett nodded, his hand still outstretched. “The Mid-South name is in real good hands.”

Bill Watts stuck out his hand and slowly shook hands with Jim Crockett, Jr. While his company was now effectively under Crockett’s control, he was looking forward to seeing how Crockett utilized the UWF talent.

Crockett smiled as he and Watts shook hands. His acquisition of the Universal Wrestling Federation brought him one step closer to national attention, just like Vince McMahon and the WWF had already done. With the acquisition of Watts’ territory, he also now had yet another television timeslot. The fact that he had almost doubled his territory’s roster with this acquisition was also thrilling. This was a step in the right direction to this new "unified" NWA catching up with the WWF, and in his mind, Crockett was just getting started…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] I’m not entirely certain how much money Jim Crockett bought Mid-South for IOTL, so for that reason, I’ve left the exact number out of the narrative. Needless to say, though, it’s for a lot less than Watts would like.

[2] You could argue that the WWE and indeed, even WCW in its heyday, were making lots of money with their ticket sales, even with television deals. But you need to remember that A) Mid-South was a local territory, while WWE and WCW were nationwide wrestling juggernauts, and B) Mid-South had no pay-per-view revenue to fall back on, so the Mid-South territory is in very dire straits at this point.

[3] At least, this was supposed to be the deal, but Crockett ended up burying countless numbers of men on the Mid-South roster in favor of his company’s wrestlers. Notable exceptions included Sting and the Steiner brothers. To Watts’ delight, Crockett will make better on his words ITTL—at least for a while.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m back! Sorry about my hiatus; there was a death in my family earlier this month, and family affairs ate up a lot of my time. Still, I won’t ever forget about this.

Coming up: we’ll delve back into the Newsletter, and two top WWF talents both meet with an unfortunate release…

May 1987: Pro Wrestling with a Dash of Cartoon Nostalgia
May 1987: Pro wrestling with a dash of cartoon nostalgia

paYPptG.jpg

1987 Spring Season of Saturday Morning U.S. network television programming [1]

Reruns in italics

ABC
8:00 AM – Star Wars: Ewoks
8:30 AM – Star Wars: Droids
9:00 AM – Pound Puppies
9:30 AM – Care Bears
10:00 AM – Flintstone Kids
10:30 AM – The Real Ghostbusters
11:00 AM – The Bugs Bunny Show
12:00 PM – ABC Weekend Special
12:30 PM – The Littles

CBS
8:00 AM – The Berenstein Bears
8:30 AM – The Wuzzles
9:00 AM – Jim Henson’s Muppet Babies
10:00 AM – Ricky Steamboat’s Rock ‘n’ Wrestling
11:00 AM – Pee-Wee’s Playhouse
11:30 AM – Teen Wolf
12:00 PM – Galaxy High School
12:30 PM – CBS Storybreak

NBC
8:00 AM – Kissyfur
8:30 AM – Disney’s Adventures of the Gummi Bears
9:00 AM – The Smurfs
10:00 AM – Alvin and the Chipmunks
10:30 AM – It’s Punky Brewster
11:00 AM – Foofur
11:30 AM – Lazer Tag Academy
12:00 PM – Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
12:30 PM – Kidd Video

May 4, 1987

WWF
McMahon is in talks with Sherri Martel to debut soon. Martel left the AWA last month in search of more money, and Jesse Ventura reportedly referred her to Vince. [2]

At a taping for Superstars of Wrestling on 5/1, a trophy was presented to the Hart Foundation for being WWF Tag Champions for a year. The Rougeau Brothers came out to “congratulate” them, but their only words were “One year is a really long time”, spoken by Jacques. I expect that a heel turn for the Rougeaus will occur soon, especially considering the so-so crowd reaction they get. [3]

The next Saturday Night’s Main Event is scheduled to air 5/24, and matches will be taped sometime next week. Early bouts that are advertised include Steamboat vs. Orndorff for the WWF Title, the Hart Foundation vs. Bundy and Studd for the Tag Titles, Jim Duggan vs. Iron Sheik, and Jake Roberts vs. Dino Bravo.

JCP/UWF
Early word is Magnum T.A. will be back in the ring sometime in the summer of next year. He might not make Starrcade, but expect him to feud with Ric Flair for the NWA Championship upon his return.

Crockett reportedly says a unification match for the NWA National Tag Titles and the NWA World Tag Titles will happen very soon … Because Arn Anderson is the U.S. Champion as well as half of the National Tag Champions, I expect the Midnights to walk away the ultimate winners of the belts.

The UWF television program continues to receive good ratings, and Crockett reportedly enjoys the publicity of all the new talent. Since most of the feuds appear to be wrapping up, expect JCP stars to start showing up on the program in the next few weeks.

AWA
Curt Hennig defeated Greg Gagne in a non-title contest at a house show on 4/30. After the match, Hennig continued to attack Gagne until Verne ran (or rather, hobbled) in to make the save. I groan that this could mean a Hennigs vs. Gagnes feud…

May 18, 1987

WWF
Both the Iron Sheik and Jim Duggan were released from WWF this past week. Reports say while traveling together by car on 5/12, they were stopped by the police, who discovered marijuana, cocaine, heroin, and alcohol in the car. Both men were arrested, and tested positive for both marijuana and cocaine. Sheik was reportedly very belligerent toward police, and Duggan “appeared high”. The two were scheduled to compete in a match at a taping for SNME about an hour later, and no-showed the event … Duggan and Sheik were both promptly fired by Vince McMahon after the show. [4]

JCP/UWF
UWF Heavyweight Champion George “One Man Gang” Gray has been contacted by Vince McMahon to wrestle for the WWF. No word on whether Gray has decided to join Vince’s company yet or not.

The Midnight Express defeated Arn Anderson & Barry Windham at a TV taping on 5/14 to unify the National Tag Titles with the World Tag Titles. There was surprisingly little fanfare when the babyfaces won … No word on who the next challengers to the new unified belts will be. [5]

AWA
As I previously feared, the Curt Hennig/Greg Gagne feud is official now. A rematch between the two is scheduled on a card sometime next week, and it will be televised. Hopefully, the two men don’t feud for the World Title…

[1] Just as IOTL, no new shows debut on Saturday morning network TV in the spring of 1987. What few changes occur from the previous season are as follows:
• On ABC, both Star Wars cartoons are cancelled due to low ratings. Reruns of the shows are moved back to 8AM, and all other shows are moved up an hour by the network to hopefully help boost each one’s ratings. Ironically, though, this puts Pound Puppies and Care Bears up against the buzzsaws that are Muppet Babies and Rock ‘n’ Wrestling, and though those two ‘toons still do quite well, ABC only wins two timeslots on Saturday mornings—one being Star Wars: Ewoks!
• On CBS, things are running smoothly for now, as the three “ratings kings” of Muppet Babies, Rock ‘n’ Wrestling and Pee-Wee’s Playhouse all score high ratings. Rock ‘n’ Wrestling is currently on hiatus because, due to the WWF superstars’ schedules, they can only record their voices sporadically. However, a new season will commence in the fall of 1987. As we saw in Post #35, the fall 1987 season will be Rock ‘n’ Wrestling’s last.
NBC is a mixed bag: its early morning and afternoon shows are its primary big hits, and the latter block is made up entirely of reruns. As such, the Peacock Network’s executives are heavily relying on their new brain trust: both Spider-Man producer Dennis Marks and Marvel Comics legend Stan Lee are contacted by NBC to do more Marvel-related projects, including a new Spider-Man cartoon, in hopes of drawing in kids. Marvel had fired Marks as a TV writer in 1983 (both IOTL and ITTL), but ITTL, due to pressuring from NBC higher-ups, he is rehired, and begins work on new programming right away. A new Spider-Man cartoon is green-lit first due to the surprisingly strong ratings for Amazing Friends, and work begins on it right away. After Marvel rejects ideas for cartoons involving the Incredible Hulk and the Fantastic Four, since they’ve been done before at this point, writer Rick Hoberg suggests a cartoon centered around the X-Men, which is green-lit by NBC pending development…

[2] Sherri Martel left the AWA for the WWF IOTL as well, also recommended by Ventura, but she didn’t debut until mid-July 1987. Here, with a lack of credible heel women in the company (with the exception of Misty Blue), Vince looks to Sherri earlier.

[3] A similar storyline occurred IOTL’s 1986 as a buildup to Wrestlemania 3: Hulk Hogan was presented a big trophy on TV for being WWF Champion for four years, and a week later, Andre the Giant was presented a much smaller one for being undefeated up to that point. One thing led to another, culminating with Hogan vs. Andre at ’Mania.

[4] Duggan and Sheik were also arrested in a very similar incident on May 26, 1987 IOTL for having drugs and alcohol in their car hours before they were scheduled to wrestle a match against one another. They did make it to the event, and carried their match out as scheduled, but both men were fired afterwards. Due to good relations with the company, Duggan was brought back a few months later, while the Sheik had to wait a year or so before being re-hired. Needless to say, both men were very lucky to get their jobs back. Since they go out on a much more sour note ITTL by no-showing the event, it’s pretty obvious that a return to the WWF for either of them is much more far-fetched.

[5] The NWA National Tag Titles were also unified with the NWA World Tag Titles in 1986 IOTL, but it happened about three months prior, in February of that year. Here, Crockett decides to keep the gold on the Four Horsemen longer due to their popularity.

And as Duggan and the Sheik depart the WWF in an unfortunate whimper, we get the makings of the feuds that will drive us toward a certain upcoming pay-per-view in the WWF.

Up next: back to Saturday Night’s Main Event, as the Steamboat-Hogan feud comes to a head, and Hogan gains a vicious new ally.

Are we going to get an update concerning TTL's movies?
Also, so of unrelated, but is there a Celebrity Deathmatch ITTL?

Last edited:
Are we going to get an update concerning TTL's movies?
Also, so of unrelated, but is there a Celebrity Deathmatch ITTL?

I'm actually working on an update about 1987 films, and hope to have it done pretty soon.

Honestly, I have no idea if Celebrity Deathmatch would exist ITTL...we'll just have to see when I get there. :p

Manson still wins.

With Duggan gone, who gets the cheese gimmicks?

Smarty pants! There were two Mansons in the first deathmatch: Charles and Marilyn! ;)

Oh, I have plenty of cheesy gimmicks lined up...don't worry about that.

May 1987: A Bodyguard for Hogan
May 1987: A Bodyguard for Hogan

acympmU.png

“Mr. Heenan made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. Hulk Hogan is a good friend of mine, and I was entrusted by Mr. Heenan as Hulk’s personal bodyguard! ‘Dragon’ Steamboat, you’d better watch your back, your front, and all around you…because if me and Hulk have anything to say about it, you aren’t gonna be champion for very much longer!”

Hercules Hernandez, Saturday Night’s Main Event, first aired on May 24, 1987

May 1, 1987

“I think it’s a great idea, Rick,” said Vince McMahon as he got up from his desk. “And I think I might have the perfect guy for the job. Wait right here.”

Ricky Steamboat half-smiled and nodded. He had pitched his latest suggestion to Vince McMahon, and was hoping that his boss would like the idea. Thankfully, it went over well, and now, McMahon was craning his head out his office door, searching for someone in the hallways.

“Hey Pat!” Vince shouted at Patterson, who was down the hall a good distance. “Could you send Hulk and Fernandez in here please?”

--

A few minutes later, top WWF heel Hulk Hogan and current-midcard heel Ray Fernandez, aka “Hercules Hernandez” [1], had gathered in Vince’s office with him and Steamboat. With both imposing men standing beside Vince’s desk, the already-small office now seemed more crowded than usual.

Hogan looked at McMahon quizzically. “You called, boss?”

McMahon nodded sharply. “Rick came in here earlier with an idea. Hulk, what would you say to having an extra accomplice? A ‘bodyguard’, so to speak?”

Hulk raised his eyebrows. His interest had clearly been piqued. “A bodyguard, huh? Who’d you have in mind?”

“Standing right next to you,” McMahon said, pointing to Hercules.

Hercules’ eyes widened, somewhat surprised at McMahon’s words. Hogan glanced at the equally large man next to him. He smiled half-excitedly, then turned back to McMahon and nodded. “Tell me more.”

Hercules nodded before cocking his head to the side. “I’m all ears too, McMahon…”

McMahon began to tell Hogan and Fernandez about Steamboat’s idea—one that involved a storyline of Bobby Heenan instituting a personal “bodyguard” for Hogan to keep the feud between Hogan and Steamboat fresh. Steamboat had suggested having some matches with said bodyguard to keep Hogan from wrestling Steamboat in all except the biggest shows, and it would also make the crowd hate Hogan more since he was using Hercules to seemingly do his dirty work.

“Since Jimmy and the Hart Foundation had a lot of guys ganging up on me, I figured the more guys we could put up against me, the better,” Steamboat chimed in. “Plus, other places are doing it, so I expect it'll work in this company, too.” Steamboat was mainly referring to the Four Horsemen-Dusty Rhodes feud, but indeed, other wrestling companies were employing the idea of ‘large heel faction vs. popular babyface’ as of late. The current WWF Champion turned to McMahon and smiled. “I think Ray as Hogan’s bodyguard is the perfect idea. You never cease to deliver, McMahon.”

Hercules smiled and nodded. “Sounds great to me too, personally. Honestly, I think I’d really enjoy it.”

Hogan smiled too, and chuckled a bit. “Count me in, too. Can’t wait to see how this goes.”

McMahon couldn’t help but smile as well as he started to discuss some details of the upcoming angle with his three employees. If all went well, this storyline could turn into something very good.

May 23, 1987

The WWF’s latest edition of Saturday Night’s Main Event, previously taped on May 12th, airs on NBC. The fallout from Wrestlemania 3 is the big story of the night, with several feuds continuing and several more beginning. After having his match at ‘Mania interrupted by Tito Santana, Hercules Hernandez gets a measure of revenge by squashing the popular Latino wrestler. Butch Reed wins a squash match against The Tonga Kid, and Davey Boy Smith, the last remaining wrestler under Jimmy Hart’s managerial services for the time being, scores a victory over Billy Jack Haynes. The Hart Foundation defend their Tag Titles against the gargantuan twosome of King Kong Bundy and Big John Studd. After brawling with the Heenan Family members outside the ring for a time, the Harts make it back to the ring, narrowly retaining their titles via a Count-out victory.

A match between The Iron Sheik and “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan is originally scheduled to occur on the show, but never comes to pass due to both wrestlers no-showing at the taping. Both men are fired from the WWF after the show when it is discovered they were arrested for traveling with drugs and alcohol; the time on the show set aside for the Sheik-Duggan match is instead filled by a replay of the Roddy Piper-Dynamite Kid match from Wrestlemania, along with the Hart Foundation’s babyface turn.

The big story coming from the show, however, is during the penultimate match, which sees WWF Champion Ricky Steamboat defend his title against “the Ugandan Giant”, Kamala. [2] Kamala has the advantage for the vast majority of the match, clubbing Steamboat with brute force. After Steamboat avoids a top-rope splash from the 380-pound behemoth, Hercules Hernandez rushes to the ring, causing a disqualification victory for Steamboat by beating down the WWF Champion. Hulk Hogan, Bobby Heenan, and the rest of the Heenan Family rush to the ring to aid Hercules in beating down the champion, leaving him a crumpled mess in the ring. In a post-match interview, Heenan introduces the world to the newest member of the Heenan Family and Hulk Hogan’s personal bodyguard, Hercules Hernandez. A few weeks later on an episode of Superstars, Slick turns over all managerial duties of Hercules to Heenan, officially making Hercules a Heenan Family member.

Saturday Night’s Main Event Results, 5/23/87
WWF Tag Team Championships: The Hart Foundation (Bret “Hitman” Hart & Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart) def. King Kong Bundy & Big John Studd (w/ Bobby “the Brain” Heenan) by Count-out (7:14)
Hercules Hernandez def. Tito Santana (2:06)
“Natural” Butch Reed (w/ Slick) def. The Tonga Kid (w/ King Tonga) (3:14)
WWF Championship: Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat (c) def. Kamala (w/ Kim Chee) [3] by Disqualification (7:28)
Davey Boy Smith (w/ Jimmy Hart) def. Billy Jack Haynes (5:44)
Archive: "Rowdy" Roddy Piper def. Dynamite Kid (w/ Davey Boy Smith & Jimmy Hart) (1:10)

[1] At this point IOTL, the WWF had dropped the “Hernandez” from Hercules’ name, only using it sparingly, if at all. Also, he had transitioned from a Roman gladiator-style gimmick to one where he wore a length of steel chains to the ring. ITTL, he keeps both the last name and the Roman gladiator gimmick.

[2] As IOTL, Kamala’s contract with the WWF is close to ending by this point. IOTL, he didn’t re-sign, and went to Jerry Lawler’s USWA (eventually, he returned to the WWF in 1992). We’ll see what he does ITTL later on.

[3] Kamala was managed in the WWF by King Curtis “The Wizard” Iaukea IOTL, along with Kim Chee (played by Steve “The Brooklyn Brawler” Lombardi under a mask). Here, Kim Chee does the talking for Kamala, as King Curtis is never re-hired by the WWF.

And I’m back! My schedule has been very busy these past couple of months due to family stuff and job-related tasks, but I am always going to come back to this timeline.

Coming up: we’ll take a little trip to the movies, where we’ll check out three films of 1987—all of which feature current or former WWF superstars!

An interesting idea could be that since Ricky Steamboat's whole gimmick is kung fu/karate, that WWF/E hires some Japanese wrestlers to increase its 'oriental flavour' for the lack of a better term.

That could be an interesting idea for a feud actually. Something like the Japanese wrestler could challenge Steamboat to who is the better martial artist or something.

I was trying to think of some Japanese wrestlers to use but the Great Muta is a great shout ! Someone from New Japan (because links with WWF), some experience in North America and probably good English skills for a proper feud. I was going to suggest Tiger Mask or Kuniaki Koboyoshi.

Can you imagine Muta vs Mick Foley !

Good update, looking forward to the next one

Hopefully you update soon man. Looking forward to the next update.

Thanks for the kind words! A new update is in the works, and will probably be up very soon!

An interesting idea could be that since Ricky Steamboat's whole gimmick is kung fu/karate, that WWF/E hires some Japanese wrestlers to increase its 'oriental flavour' for the lack of a better term.

That could be an interesting idea for a feud actually. Something like the Japanese wrestler could challenge Steamboat to who is the better martial artist or something.

We've already seen some of the knock-on effects of the WWF's milking of Asian gimmicks ITTL: the "Machines" gimmick, for example, still exists. Tiger Chung Lee is also employed by the company at this point, and while still essentially a "jobber to the stars" ITTL, he's understandably much more popular.

I will tell you that Vince has no plans to bring Keiji Mutoh on board, unfortunately. As for some other stars in Japan...keep reading!

Alt-Pop Culture: 1987 in Film - WWF Takes a Trip to the Movies
1987 in Film: WWF takes a trip to the movies

eCbgO0q.jpg
PuCIOQg.jpg
w3KtAz4.jpg

June 12, 1987

Predator (Film)
From *Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia

Predator is a 1987 American science fiction action film. It was directed by John McTiernan, and was distributed by 20th Century Fox. The film stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, Bill Duke, Jesse Ventura, and Kevin Peter Hall as “The Predator”. The plot follows an elite Special Forces team on a mission to rescue hostages from guerilla territory in Central America. Unbeknownst to the group, they are being stalked and hunted by a technologically advanced form of extraterrestrial life. Predator was written by Jim and John Thomas in 1985, under the working title of Hunter. Filming began in April 1986, and special effects were devised by Stan Winston.

The film's budget was around $15 million. Released in the United States on June 12, 1987, the film grossed $99,058,229, approximately $36 million which was from overseas. [1] Initial critical reaction to Predator was mixed, with criticism focusing on the thin plot. In subsequent years, however, the film’s criticism has waned slightly, with some people [who?] considering it a cult action film classic. A sequel, Predator 2, was released in 1990. [2]

Review from Internet Film Database (IFDb) [3]
Author: 80s Film Freak from None of Your Business
15 June 2006

“Predator” is probably one of the best (and best-known) ‘80s action extravaganzas—it has a great concept to it, the scenery is incredible, and it has aged pretty well compared to most of the overly-macho cheese that came out in the same decade. Director John McTiernan definitely knew what he was doing when he made this the “ultimate ‘80s movie”.

The plot is surprisingly strong, for an ‘80s action flick—army commando Dutch (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger) parachutes into the jungle along with his buddies, in what they think will be a political mission to rescue some hostages, but they end up fighting a strange, homicidal creature from another planet that kills for sport and likes to leave its victim’s skins behind.
While I’ll admit this movie can be kind of tough to watch at times due to several factors, it’s still a guilty pleasure of mine: mainly because of the excitement, the fight scenes, and the acting. I can hear some of you out there groaning at that last comment, but hear me out…

While they’re usually mostly played as cardboard-cutout action film fodder, some of the characters can be surprisingly deep and multi-dimensional at times. Schwarzenegger is, of course, bursting with his over-the-top machismo, but he also shows surprising heart in playing Dutch, coming off as a—well, a semi-likeable guy. “I don’t do this kind of work”, he says when he finds out his team has been tricked into attacking a rebel base under the guise of rescuing some hostages. He’s rightly annoyed, because he and his guys are in the business of saving lives, not taking them. It’s not shoved in our face, but it’s there, and it makes Dutch’s struggle against the Predator even better, as he has to pull a total 180 from his philosophy early on in the movie—adapting (and eventually killing) in order to survive.

The rest of the cast adds welcome flavor to the film as well. The two standouts (for me, at least) are Bill Duke as the fiery Mac and Jesse Ventura as the brash, blaringly-overconfident Blaine. Most of Ventura’s lines in the film are unapologetic and politically incorrect by today’s standards (you could NEVER get away with talking about chewing tobacco making you a “sexual tyrannosaurus” today), but in the ‘80s, you could get away with it, and in essence, it’s what makes Blaine so badass.

As the men are offed one-by-one by the creature, you’re hanging on the edge of your seat. And of course, the Predator itself is a vital part of the film—foreboding and mysterious as it sneaks through the jungle, and both breathtaking and horrifying when it actually reveals itself to you. Along with the aliens in “Alien”, it’s one of the most incredible movie monsters ever made. It’s kind of a shame nobody ever came up with a crossover between the two films—that would have been something to see. [4]

This is a go-to movie for many people of my generation, especially guys. I remember watching and re-watching it when I was like 10 (too young, I know!), fascinated by the incredible scenery, macho characters, and suspense that any one of them could be killed by the Predator at any second. Watching it today, that magic is still there. I highly recommend seeing this movie if you love action-packed, macho “man’s man” movies. If that’s not your cup of tea, by all means, skip it. But for people like me, who thrive on ‘80s over-the-topness and extreme action, it’s a definite must-see.

---

November 1, 1987

The Princess Bride (Film)

The Princess Bride is a 1987 American romantic comedy/fantasy/adventure film, directed and co-produced by Rob Reiner. The film stars Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Chris Sarandon, Mandy Patinkin, Andre the Giant, Christopher Guest, and Wallace Shawn. It was adapted by William Goldman from his 1973 novel of the same name. The story is presented in the film as a book being read by a grandfather (Peter Falk) to his sick grandson (Fred Savage), thus effectively preserving the novel's narrative style.

Released on November 1, 1987, the film was a box office hit, grossing $50,293,859 on a $16 million budget. [5] The film received high praise from critics, and continues to remain popular, with The American Film Institute ranking it as the 95th Greatest Film of All Time in 2007. [6]

Review from Internet Film Database (IFDb)
Author: Melissa from Pennsylvania
10 July 2007

Recently, I watched the 10-year, slightly-updated anniversary of the AFI’s countdown of the “100 Greatest Films”, where “The Princess Bride” ranked at #95. I only remembered parts of the movie from my childhood (I could only remember bits and pieces of the fight scenes, some comedic lines, and of course, ‘My name is Inigo Montoya’), and I got to thinking: was it REALLY as good as AFI thinks it is? So I bought a copy online and re-watched it. And after doing so, I have to say that it truly is a great movie.

The film’s plot is as follows: a farm girl, Buttercup (played by Robin Wright) and a stable boy (played by the vastly underrated Cary Elwes) fall in love. When the boy, Wesley, goes out to make his fortune, he is supposedly killed by pirates. Later, an egotistical Prince (good God, this guy is full of himself) decides to make Buttercup his wife. Buttercup is later kidnapped by a group of three ne’er-do-wells: Vizzini the con man, Fezzik the Giant (played by pro wrestler Andre the Giant), and swordmaster Inigo Montoya (played by the great Mandy Patinkin), who are helping the Prince start a war with another country. They are followed by a “Man in Black”, presumably the same pirate that killed Wesley, except that he looks an awful lot like him (you do the math). Fezzik and Inigo later have a change of heart after being bested by Wes—oops—the “Man in Black”, and join him to later attempt to rescue the lady from marrying the crooked Prince, all while getting revenge on the man who killed Inigo’s father in a pretty interesting side-plot.

The entire film is very well-made, but if I could nitpick for just a few seconds: the whole thing about the grandpa reading the story as a book to the little boy doesn’t really contribute anything to the film for me. It’s kind of sophomoric and cheesy. Also, I know the film is supposed to be a fairy tale, but the suspension of disbelief is kind of forced on me at times. I mean…giant, flesh-eating rats? Man-eating screaming eels? What kind of sadistic world is this?

On the other hand, the humor is positively gut-busting. Some of the better gems include lots of the conversations between Inigo and Fezzik, and the “to the pain” soliloquy by Wesley. Also, this film contains several hilarious cameos, like Peter Cook as the lisping priest, and of COURSE, Billy Crystal and Carol Kane as “Miracle Max” the healer and his wife. If these two don’t get you laughing, you need to check your pulse.

The set design, cinematography, and music are also very nicely done (and this is coming from someone who doesn’t really care for Dire Straits) [7]. The swordfights were also very entertaining, especially the one between Inigo and Wesley (screw it, you all knew he was the Man in Black anyway). Pretty much every actor in this film plays their part very, very well, and everyone just meshes with one another so fluidly—even Andre, who at times, you can’t really understand due to that accent of his. What is it, French? Polish? German? I’m not a wrestling fan, so I have no idea…

Final conclusion: this film is very, very good. While it’s nowhere near the legendary status of “The Wizard of Oz” or “Casablanca” (both of which were high on AFI’s list, obviously), it’s a great movie that I recommend to anyone. Love, action, comedy, fantasy—there really is something in “The Princess Bride” for everyone. This is one film that really and truly holds up.

---

November 13, 1987

The Running Man (1987 Film)

This article is about the 1987 film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. For the 1963 film of the same name starring Laurence Harvey, see The Running Man (1963 film). For other uses, see Running Man.

The Running Man is a 1987 American science fiction action film loosely based on the 1982 novel The Running Man, written by Stephen King (published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman). Directed by Paul Michael Glaser, the film stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Conchita Alonso, Jesse Ventura, Jim Brown, and Richard Dawson (in his final film). Director Andrew Davis was fired one week into filming and replaced by Glaser. [8] Schwarzenegger has been quoted as saying he believes this hurt the movie. Paula Abdul is credited with the choreography of the Running Man dance troupe. [9] The film, set in a dystopian America between 2017 and 2019, is about a television show called The Running Man, where convicted criminal “runners” must escape death at the hands of professional killers.

Although many critics praised Dawson’s performance, the film met with mixed reviews upon release. Nonetheless, the film grossed just over $46 million on a $27 million budget, making it a box office success. [10]

Review from Internet Film Database (IFDb)
Author: GeorgieBoy6 from Georgia
30 March 2006

From the mind of author Stephen King and director Paul Michael Glaser (“Miami Vice”), “The Running Man” is 1980s to the core. Several people have criticized this movie for being cheesy, over-the-top, uninspired crap, calling it one of Schwarzenegger’s worser films. But 16 years later, I can honestly say that the film is actually not that bad. Rather than just being a brainless action film, it works well as a parody of what the future could potentially become.

Ben Richards (Arnold Schwarzenegger) is a police officer working in a dystopian United States. The entire country is ruled by a totalitarian government, where food is scarce, the economy is crappy, and most music, literature and film is censored. (How and why the country got in such sorry shape is never mentioned, but I would indeed like to know just why the Home of the Brave has fallen, wouldn’t you?) The government keeps the public appeased by broadcasting sadistic game shows for them to watch, and the most popular one is “The Running Man”, hosted by the devilish Damien (sic) Killian (played by “Family Feud” host Richard Dawson). On the show, criminals and those who oppose the government are given a chance at freedom if they can outrun or outsmart the “stalkers”—professional killers armed with everything from flamethrowers to chainsaws to electrical suits.

When Richards refuses to shoot a group of innocent people, he is arrested, framed for the eventual murder of the crowd, and sentenced to prison. He and his buddies, which include Laughlin (Yaphet Kotto) and Weiss (Marvin McIntyre), escape and go on the run. Richards ends up kidnapping government employee Amber Mendez (Maria Conchita Alonso) and tries to flee to Hawaii (which should technically still be in the United States, but if you’re seriously trying to make sense of some of the stuff in this film, I pity you), but he is captured and taken prisoner again. This time, though, he’s forced to go on “The Running Man”. From here, it’s all “Ahnuld”, as he blasts through the “stalkers”, who are played by an array of muscle-bound hulks and pro wrestlers (no, seriously, two were actually former wrestlers!), attempting to win freedom along with Laughlin and Weiss, who are placed into the mix with Arnold just for the hell of it. Amber is also thrown in when she discovers a government cover-up about Richards, but the less said about Arnold and Maria’s onscreen chemistry, the better.

The rest of the movie is basically just kick-ass, loud, classic 80’s Schwarzenegger fun. There are a lot of really exciting fight scenes, really cheesy one-liners (like “Here is Sub-Zero, now PLAIN Zero”…ugh), and of course, the final face-off with Killian that makes everything Richards did worthwhile. Pretty much everything Richard Dawson does in this movie is pure gold—he plays everything with a virtual wink to the camera, and it’s safe to say this is my favorite thing he’s ever done in his career, “Family Feud” be damned. As a longtime sports fan, I also enjoyed all the cameos by former wrestlers and athletes, especially Jesse Ventura, who positively creams Schwarzenegger in one of the fights (OK, it’s actually a computer-animated simulation, but it’s STILL awesome to see The Body own The Terminator!) Also, watch for the cussing little old lady—she’s freaking hilarious.

If you watch “The Running Man” expecting to find the next “Citizen Kane” or “Star Wars”, you’ll be sadly disappointed. But if you want a great cheesy 80’s movie, then look no further.

---

Top Grossing Films of 1987 (U.S.)
Rank, Title (Studio), Actors, Gross

1. Fatal Attraction (Paramount), Michael Douglas, Glenn Close, $155,014,021
2. Beverly Hills Cop II (Paramount), Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, $154,693,034
3. Three Men and a Baby (Buena Vista), Tom Selleck, Steve Guttenberg, Ted Danson, $147,224,080 [11]
4. Good Morning, Vietnam (Buena Vista), Robin Williams, Forest Whitaker, $133,939,714
5. Broadcast News (20th Century Fox), Jack Nicholson, Holly Hunter, John Cusack, $113,050,372 [12]
6. Moonstruck (MGM), Cher, Nicolas Cage, Olympia Dukakis, $80,443,235
7. The Untouchables (Paramount), Kevin Costner, Sean Connery, Robert DeNiro, $76,443,207
8. The Secret of My Success (Universal), Michael J. Fox, Helen Slater, $67,329,102
9. Lethal Weapon (Warner Bros.), Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Gary Busey, $66,398,117
10. The Witches of Eastwick (Warner Bros.), Jack Nicholson, Cher, Michelle Pfeiffer, $64,011,597
11. Predator (20th Century Fox), Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, Jesse Ventura, $63,107,948
12. Stakeout (Buena Vista), Richard Dreyfuss, Emilio Estevez, Forest Whitaker, $63,099,475
13. Throw Momma From the Train (Orion), Danny DeVito, Billy Crystal, $56,703,446
14. Robocop (Orion), Peter Weller, Nancy Allan, $55,293,469
15. La Bamba (Columbia), Lou Diamond Phillips, Esai Morales, Rosanna De Soto, $53,993,782
16. Dragnet (Universal), Dan Aykroyd, Tom Hanks, Harry Morgan, $53,558,602
17. Outrageous Fortune (Buena Vista), Bette Midler, Shelley Long, $53,007,644
18. Dirty Dancing (Vestron), Patrick Swayze, Jennifer Grey, $52,998,297 [13]
19. The Living Daylights (United Artists), Timothy Dalton, John Rhys-Davies, $51,193,479
20. The Princess Bride (20th Century Fox), Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Robin Wright, $50,293,859 [14]

[1] Predator grossed about $60 million in the U.S. IOTL, along with an extra $38 million from overseas. ITTL, its revenues are roughly the same.

[2] Note that the article says nothing about the 2010 sequel Predators, or the two crossover films with Alien (Alien vs. Predator and Alien vs. Predator: Requiem).

[3] TTL’s version of the Internet Movie Database, obviously.

[4] Yep, the Alien vs. Predator films are butterflied away ITTL, for several reasons that we may or may not get into.

[5] IOTL, The Princess Bride only grossed about $30.9 million, good for 41st place overall for the year—not exactly terrible; it just had the misfortunate of running into the brick wall of Fatal Attraction in its massive 25-week run in theaters. ITTL, The Princess Bride’s debut is delayed for a couple weeks, which makes a big difference: its biggest competitions as far as opening films go are the thriller The Hidden, and the ill-fated Whoopi Goldberg vehicle Fatal Beauty. Needless to say, it wins out easily, and gradually picks up steam for a strong ten-week run in theaters.

[6] This TL’s version of the AFI’s “100 Years…100 Movies” list, for which The Princess Bride wasn’t even nominated IOTL. It did, however, make #88 on AFI’s “Top 100 Passions” list a few years later.

[7] As OTL, Mark Knopfler sings “Storybook Love”, the main theme from the soundtrack, and also as OTL, the song is nominated for an Academy Award.

[8] As OTL.

[9] OTL.

[10] IOTL, The Running Man only raked in about $38 million, making it a more modest success. ITTL, it does quite a bit better.

[11] IOTL, Three Men and a Baby was the highest-grossing film of 1987, making a cool $167.8 million. Here, it just falls a bit short due to being in theaters for a little bit less time.

[12] Another product of butterflies: IOTL, Broadcast News only grossed about $51.2 million, finishing at 18th place overall for the year. But if you look down lower on the gross list, you’ll see The Last Emperor, a superb movie which won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1987, not long after it was pulled from theaters after a less-than-stellar performance. After winning the award, theaters picked the film back up, and after a whopping 31 weeks at the box office, the film made a fairly impressive $43 million, good for 25th place for the year. ITTL, due to the “Asian” fad, the Academy figures it would be “too obvious” to choose The Last Emperor: they instead give Broadcast News Best Picture. The publicity pushes the movie into the Top 5 for the year, and The Last Emperor sadly becomes a forgotten (yet superb) classic.

[13] Slightly less than the $63.4 million for Dirty Dancing IOTL, due to a fair bit of competition from The Princess Bride.

[14] In case you’re wondering: The Running Man finishes in 24th place for the year ITTL, with a box office total of just over $46 million, and outranked by Planes, Trains and Automobiles (#21, $49 million), Eddie Murphy Raw (#22, $48 million), and Full Metal Jacket (#23, $47 million).

I hope you enjoyed this little side-trip to the cinema! It amazes me how many films—good, bad, and in-between—have featured current or former WWF wrestlers, and my timeline is no different. But as we diverge even further from OTL, the wrestlers in the films will almost certainly become more and more…well, divergent!

Coming up, it’s back to wrestling, where the seeds of a new pay-per-view are planted, and the Dragon comes to McMahon with a question that prompts some long-term changes.

May-July 1987: The Women's Champion, WarGames, and a Wild Ride to Survivor Series
Summer 1987: All good things must end...

0bdb1c9ffc9771c324e6f5433a1e44c1_crop_north.jpg

May 19, 1987

At a television taping, an interview with Wendi Richter by “Mean” Gene Okerlund is interrupted by a newcomer to the WWF: Sherri Martel. Fresh out of the AWA, Sherri is soon taken under the wing of “the Blue Belle” Misty Blue Simms, and would be dubbed “Scary Sherri”, due to her black ring attire and face paint. [1] Martel’s first official match in the WWF would see her win a championship, capturing the WWF Women’s Title from Wendi Richter on October 3, 1987 in the first of two shocking championship changes that night. [2] Sherri’s reign with the Women’s Championship would be seen as the start of a sort-of turning point of the WWF’s women’s division, as she would begin challenging women wrestlers from “all over the world” to take her on for the title. WWF would bring in several female wrestlers from Japan for this purpose, including Lioness Asuka, Itsuki Yamazaki, and Noriyo Tateno (the latter two which already teamed in the WWF as “The Jumping Bomb Angels”). [3]

--

July 2, 1987

The “United” NWA holds the first of what would be a series of shows on its Great American Bash 1987 tour. The Bash occurs at various venues all July long, and is held in numerous states in the Mideast and South, starting in Landover, Maryland, and extending over various cities like Atlanta, Charlotte and Miami. The show on July 4th, which emanates from the Omni arena in Atlanta, features the debut of a new type of match: the War Games Match. Billed as “The Match From Beyond”, the match features two teams of five men each, wrestling in two rings side-by-side, encompassed by a giant cage that covers both rings. The match begins with two men from opposing teams, and every five minutes, a new man enters the match based on pre-set stipulations, alternating between the two teams. Once all ten men enter, the match can be won by pinfall, submission, or forcing your opponent to be unfit to continue the match—as with all steel cage matches, there are no disqualifications. [4] The first War Games Match features the team of NWA Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair, NWA United States Champion Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Barry Windham and Mike Rotundo taking on the team of Dusty Rhodes, Ron Garvin, The Road Warriors (Animal & Hawk) and their manager Paul Ellering. The babyface team ends up winning the match after The Road Warriors hit Rotundo with a Doomsday Device. [5]

--

July 11, 1987

Excerpt from “The Story of the WWF” (2010)

Chapter 10: Survival of the Fittest

As the WWF ran up to Wrestlemania 3, it seemed the company could do no wrong. The Hart Foundation would defend the Tag Team Titles at the pay-per-view. Randy Savage would square off with Jake “the Snake” Roberts. Dynamite Kid would take on Roddy Piper in what would prove to be the final televised WWF match for both men. And Ricky Steamboat was to defend the WWF Championship against his new nemesis Hulk Hogan. The weeks prior to the event were tense, as Hogan cut several stinging promos on the Dragon, and Steamboat fumed to get even. Ultimately, the Dragon would come out on top at the show, toppling Hogan after delivering a bodyslam to his rival that is still among the most well-remembered moments in wrestling history.

Wrestlemania 3, like its two predecessors, was a resounding success, featuring several more memorable moments than just Steamboat bodyslamming Hogan. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper was sent off into the sunset after a resounding victory over the Dynamite Kid, and the Hart Foundation, after months of mistreatment from Dynamite, turned babyface on their former leader to the roar of the crowd in attendance. Andre the Giant racked up his third of four straight victories at ‘Mania, and Wendi Richter, with a bit of help from Cyndi Lauper, finally recaptured the Women’s Title after months of chasing the belt.

In the months following Wrestlemania 3, however, the winds of change began to blow in the WWF, both on television and behind the scenes. With Steamboat established as the #1 good guy of the company and Hogan as the #1 bad guy, the company had a great top feud to keep it going for a while. But on its run up to the next Wrestlemania, McMahon and his bookers wanted to test the idea of adding another pay-per-view to the company’s repertoire in addition to the yearly Wrestlemania. Several ideas were tossed around, such as a show based around steel cage matches or one in which prizes were given to viewers [6], but ultimately, McMahon was swayed by another idea.

On July 4, 1987, at The Great American Bash, NWA debuted a new match known as the War Games Match, where two teams of five men each fought inside two rings side-by-side, all while surrounded by a giant steel cage. McMahon and his team of bookers were intrigued by the idea, but not by the concept of the cage: by the idea of tag team wrestling. The decision was made to make most of the matches on the card of the WWF’s new pay-per-view tag team matches, using pre-existing feuds and intertwining them together, with teams of babyfaces facing off against teams of heels. Most matches would be 5-on-5 elimination-style matches, and a wrestler would be eliminated from a team when they were pinned or submitted. In later contests, this would often result in lopsided encounters, often with a lone babyface facing three, four, or even five heels at a time. [7]

Ever since 1983, NWA had run their annual show Starrcade, garnering great success with each show, and 1987 would be their inaugural year on pay-per-view with it. Vince McMahon knew that if he wanted to continue garnering nationwide attention, he’d have to try to kill NWA in its cradle. As such, McMahon chose to air his new pay-per-view on the very same night as Starrcade 1987: Thanksgiving Day of that year. He gave the television companies an ultimatum: broadcast his pay-per-view and not NWA’s, or he’d no longer offer his pay-per-views to the cable companies. Most cable providers met McMahon’s demands (only four chose to air Starrcade), and the WWF thus struck a strong blow to its opposition. [8]

But as the company drove towards its new pay-per-view, which would be given the name Survivor Series, the company’s top babyface had a dilemma. Ricky Steamboat’s wife Bonnie was expecting their first child, Ricky Jr. (AKA future WWF superstar Richie Steamboat), in the months after Wrestlemania 3. [9] As such, the WWF Champion wanted to take some time off to be with his wife and new infant son. To boot, Steamboat was getting burned out by all the matches he’d been required to wrestle as the WWF Champion. Initially hesitant due to his work schedule, he eventually confronted McMahon with his request for time off in June 1987.

“I was more than a little disappointed when Rick asked for time off,” remembers McMahon. “But after all the great publicity and matches he gave the WWF, looking back, granting him that small request was kind of the least I could do. The hardest part, in hindsight, was finding top babyface guys to keep the fans tided over until he got back.”

Although McMahon was initially upset, he soon calmed down, and agreed to let Steamboat have some time off: on two conditions. One, he would work the next two episodes of Saturday Night’s Main Event as the WWF Champion. And two, he would film some pre-taped segments that would be aired on WWF television that saw him training for his impending return. [10] Steamboat agreed, and plans were made for the upcoming loss of his title…

Saturday Night’s Main Event Results, 7/11/87
WWF Intercontinental Championship: Randy “Macho Man” Savage (C) (w/ Miss Elizabeth) def. The Honky Tonk Man (w/ Johnny V) (5:39)
Brutus Beefcake def. Koko B. Ware (3:17)
Non-Title Match: Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat def. Hercules Hernandez (w/ Hulk Hogan & Bobby “the Brain” Heenan) via Disqualification (9:46)
Greg Valentine def. "Magnificent" Don Muraco (w/ Mr. Fuji) (5:52)
The Fabulous Rougeaus (Jacques & Raymond) def. The Can-Am Connection (Tom Zenk & Rick Martel) (4:17) [11]

[1] IOTL, Martel officially debuted in the WWF on July 24, 1987, and was instead named “Sensational” Sherri (the “Scary Sherri” name later would be used, however, in a tongue-in-cheek fashion, when she transitioned to being a manager). Here, she’s put on TV a bit earlier due to a lack of credible women wrestlers in the company.

[2] Martel also won the WWF Women’s Championship in her debut match IOTL, on July 24th, 1987, from the Fabulous Moolah.

[3] The Jumping Bomb Angels are as OTL, except their reign as Women’s Tag Team Champions occurs slightly earlier—we’ll see it later in an excerpt from the Newsletter. Lioness Asuka only wrestled in one match in the WWF IOTL, at Survivor Series 1995, where she was part of a 4-on-4 elimination tag match in which she was eliminated in less than two minutes.

[4] These rules are similar to the rules of the WarGames match IOTL, with a few differences: IOTL, there are no pinfalls in a WarGames match, and a new entrant comes in every two minutes after the first entrant.

[5] IOTL, the first WarGames match featured the Four Horsemen (Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Barry Windham, and J.J. Dillon) going up against Dusty Rhodes, Nikita Koloff, the Road Warriors and Paul Ellering. The babyface team won this match IOTL also, when the Road Warriors made Dillon submit after a Doomsday Device.

[6] Both of these ideas were thrown out as possible concepts for early pay-per-views after Wrestlemania’s rise IOTL, but the WWF ultimately decided against using them—as you might recall from Post #45, the WWF has already given away a new Rolls Royce at a PPV.

[7] In other words: the very same rules of an OTL Survivor Series tag team match.

[8] McMahon did the very same thing IOTL, when only three providers chose to air Starrcade. Here, one extra provider chooses to side with the NWA due to butterflies.

[9] IOTL, Steamboat’s then-wife Bonnie gave birth to Richie on July 7th, 1987. ITTL, he arrives into the world a few months later.

[10] Many wrestling fans know the story of what happened at around this point IOTL: Steamboat, who had just won the Intercontinental Championship at Wrestlemania 3, asked for time off to be with his wife and son. Since McMahon had booked Steamboat to be a long-term IC Champion, this obviously didn’t sit well with him. Steamboat lost the Intercontinental Title, in a bit of an upset, to the Honky Tonk Man on an episode of WWF Superstars that was taped on June 2, 1987 (my first birthday, coincidentally!). Steamboat came back a few months later, and was pretty much buried for the remainder of his time in the WWF. Steamboat would leave the WWF in 1988, surfacing in the NWA a year later. Honky Tonk Man, of course, would go on to have the longest IC Title reign of all time, at 454 days. (Interestingly, Honky was actually a replacement for Butch Reed, making for another interesting “what if” scenario!) ITTL, due to his greater presence backstage and greater importance to the product, Steamboat is granted his request—with some conditions, of course. As for whether Honky will win the Intercontinental Title ITTL: keep reading!

[11] IOTL, Zenk left the WWF not long after Wrestlemania 3 due to an alleged contract dispute. Here, he sticks with the company through the summer, leaving in the fall of ’87.

And with that, the seeds of the newest WWF PPV are planted, and Steamboat’s second reign as WWF Champion appears to be coming to an end. Fortunately, I can say he almost certainly won’t be buried upon his return from hiatus!

Up next: we head back to the Newsletter, as we begin the drive toward both Survivor Series and Starrcade.

Status
Not open for further replies.