The Prince and The Painter (TL)

I know it's off topic, but there was a nation game with a communist A-H monarchy, and it lasted as long as long as you would expect and started a world war

interesting

i look forward to where this is going.

still it is only 1909 so the butterflies have plenty of time tom flap their wings

Interested to see where you go with this.

Dependin on how a war goes (and there will be a war, there are too many jingoists and too many disputes).

Germany and Italy are allied to Austria though the latter is obviously hostile/distrustful. However some sort of concessions (part of trentino and Gorizia?) And promises of gains contra France (Nice, Savoy, Corsica, Tunisia) could keep them neutral or aloied. A neutral Italy takes half a million soldiers off Austria's borders and breaks the blockade, and also dooms Serbia. Allied Italy is good for a short war but if Britain gets involved its a drain in the long run.

A renewed league of the Three emperors may be possible but Im not sure about Russia, they seem rather like a wolf looking on a wounded man, limping along...

France and Germany will be on opposite sides I'd they fight. The UK will be either neutral or against Germany, given the PoD, dpeneding on on how the mess starts and whether Russia is looking scarier than Germany. Ottomans may or may not stay out.

I have a suggestion: I used it in my timeline here.. What if Gavrilo Princip does shoot at the Archduke and his wife, but the stack of paintings in front of them shields them. Princip runs out of ammunition, and voila! No World War I.

I have a suggestion: I used it in my timeline here.. What if Gavrilo Princip does shoot at the Archduke and his wife, but the stack of paintings in front of them shields them. Princip runs out of ammunition, and voila! No World War I.

there is little chance of avoiding a major european war some time in the early 20th century.
too many interlinked treaty obligations and nations with clashes of interests

Sure it can be averted (In a timeline where a nuclear war over Cuba happens, the people there will say that it's inevitable. It is in fact not)!

The Moroccan crises were over. Persia, China and the Far East, etc. problems had been solved.

Every European country that went to war in OTL did so for they were "protecting" their status as a great power. For Example, Austria-Hungary wanted to prove itself after the Archduke was murdered. Without such a stupid casus belli, no war would have occured.

Germany and Austria-Hungary believed that in just a few years from 1914 Russia would surpass them in industrial and military power (and later on the USA. It was inevitable, for Russia had more resources and reformism was become more prevalent even after the setback during Alexander III's reign). If no war occurs by 1917, Germany and Austria-Hungary would be reluctant to go to war with Russia. Eventually they have to appease her.

"Russia is rapidly becoming so powerful that we must retain her friendship at almost any cost."

-George Buchanan, British Ambassador to Russia

I kind of remembered more quotes and the notion about expiring alliances, don't know which thread I got it.

With a possible solution to the Balkans problem, a peaceful 20th century will ensue.

I think everywhere tensions were solved.

Sure it can be averted (In a timeline where a nuclear war over Cuba happens, the people there will say that it's inevitable. It is in fact not)!

The Moroccan crises were over. Persia, China and the Far East, etc. problems had been solved.

Every European country that went to war in OTL did so for they were "protecting" their status as a great power. For Example, Austria-Hungary wanted to prove itself after the Archduke was murdered. Without such a stupid casus belli, no war would have occured.

Germany and Austria-Hungary believed that in just a few years from 1914 Russia would surpass them in industrial and military power (and later on the USA. It was inevitable, for Russia had more resources and reformism was become more prevalent even after the setback during Alexander III's reign). If no war occurs by 1917, Germany and Austria-Hungary would be reluctant to go to war with Russia. Eventually they have to appease her.

"Russia is rapidly becoming so powerful that we must retain her friendship at almost any cost."

-George Buchanan, British Ambassador to Russia

I kind of remembered more quotes and the notion about expiring alliances, don't know which thread I got it.

With a possible solution to the Balkans problem, a peaceful 20th century will ensue.

I think everywhere tensions were solved.

The problem here is that the crises in western Europe haven't been solved yet. Like the Franco-Prussian war, No matter what France and Germany will go to war again I can guarantee that. Also if Russia is left to grow stronger then it will look for new land to conqueror, with That there would be frictions over Alaska because the United States never paid yet (And still hasant) and from the Japanese-Russian War. No matter what Germany,France,U.S.A, and/or Russia will fight each other over some dispute.