The Post-Apocalyptic Picture Thread

journey_north_by_5ofnovember-d876338.jpg

http://blakez.deviantart.com/art/Journey-North-495770660

north_by_5ofnovember-d87b2er.jpg

7878fce8320a66779db01934905c2736.jpg

These images are fantastic. I'm currently writing a post-apocalyptic (economic collapse) story and these images sort of make me picture the world that my characters would be living in.

This is from a project I was making of a post-apocalyptic scenario where nuclear war devastate earth and leave the humans on Mars stranded for centuries to come.

marine_skirmisher_of_the_league_corps_by_colorcopycenter-d76m8w7.png

damn, I wish I could read French. :(

That said, they recently translated Le Transperceneige, if you want to read it.

20667039.jpg

(Which it's close to La Compagnie des Glaces when it comes to backround*, but have really different thematic and quite superior IMO. That said, La Compagnie is still quite good, but tends to be too long)

Compagnie-des-glaces005.jpg

* Basically, trains roaming on a new ice-age Earth.

Jeremiah is quite good as well, sort of a western/post-apocalyptic mix.
jeremiahrapaces-1.jpg

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Yep. "Les Roux" (Red-haired Ones)/ "Hommes Roux" (Red-haired Men). Basically the only humanoids able to live outside cities (heated vaults) at -40°C and actually a main plot of the books.

How do they get along with regular humans?

How do they get along with regular humans?

Companies consider them as animals (while mutation made them quite retarded intellectually, they're still a sapient and human race), just good for cleaning domes by scrapping snow and ice that cover them. Otherwise, they're shoot at without too much issue.

Outlaws (which can men actual raiders, marginals as well than opposition to Companies) tend to consider them more as humans, and relations goes from tactical alliances, mutual relationship to some inter-breeding.

QsJJvbx.jpg

- Simon du Fleuve -

One of best Comic about Post Apocalyptic world !
It's not Nuclear War or Pandemic or zombie apocalypse, simply the Civilization collapse slowly almost quiet.
The National States can not solve there Problems anymore during series of Financial, economic and resource problems
in end they solve the resource problems in conventional war and simply run out of fuel.

Decades later the anti Hero, Simon de Fleuve wanders true that was once France
he encounter the last remains of Civilization in form of City States rule by military dictatorship

Written and drawn by Claude Auclair, with five volumes published between 1976–1978.
A Visionary masterpiece of French comic art, sadly out of print since decades.

The 1980s comic "Le Transperceneige", was made into Movie called "Snowpiercer"

German comic series "Jeremiah" deals with USA after civil war devastate the Nation and follow by Civilization collapse (was made into TV series)

La Compagnie des Glaces is very popular french Sci-fi Book series, were Earth undergoes new Ice Age after the Moon was destroy.

Last edited:
A Visionary masterpiece of French comic art, sadly out of print since decades.
Tell me about it, I managed to get the first three tomes at less than 5 euros, but that's nothing short of a miracle.

Now, I won't call the Cities "civilization" : it's made quite clear they're barely militaries pretending to be states, and they're shown quite as barbarians and decaying (while not as much than raiders) in face of a new pastoral and spiritual civilisation (especially in "Les Pèlerins" and the last books)

German comic series "Jeremiah" deals with USA after civil war devastate the Nation and follow by Civilization collapse (was made into TV series)
Actually, the TV shows had really few common points with the comics, and is generally considered by fans as quite bad.

Tell me about it, I managed to get the first three tomes at less than 5 euros, but that's nothing short of a miracle.

Now, I won't call the Cities "civilization" : it's made quite clear they're barely militaries pretending to be states, and they're shown quite as barbarians and decaying (while not as much than raiders) in face of a new pastoral and spiritual civilisation (especially in "Les Pèlerins" and the last books)

Oh i have to explain this in detail.
in context of his time of 1974–1978. Simon du Fleuve was consider by critics as counter-revolutionary, even subversive in France and Belgium.
in 1970s Franco Belgian comic was still dominate the shining Hero, who save the day and rescue his Girl.
Simon is First total Anti Hero, he never finish his quest (Jason a hateful old man, manage that and died in crossfire)
The hero as pricks of conscience as he force to kill the bad guys. or try to talk soothing with Rockers, only to get almost killed.
manage not save his Girls, the Woman depicted on Previous Post picture is Simons fourth wife, the other are murdered.

Also feature the story strong critical of society, on politic like Vietnam war, on technology especial on nuclear and military. the "holy cows" of that time.
Volume 3 "Maïlis" was in 1975 prohibited to sell in France do it Anti Nuclear message (only Belgium Edition were Printed )

Claude Auclair not only demolish the shining Hero myth and give criticism on his time,
he also give character the chance to philosophizes about situation and introduce new society flourish out the ashes of collapsed old civilization.
yes, the Cities are not "civilization" they are last remains of Military, who try to keep "law and Order" there way.
they use Rockers to raid the new commune to control them by fear and enslavement them,
in order to keep the last remaining factory operational that supply the Military.
But in end of Volume 5 that system collapse finally and City N.W n°3 is burning as Simon and his Wife leave it.

Today Anti Heros are common, today Post Apocalyptic Comic are full of Pandemic or zombie apocalypse, that it became a cliche.
or they lack the criticism or philosophy, now focus more pointless action or shock moments. (there are some exception like "Y, the last Man")
In that context, "the Utopian-post atomic" Simon du Fleuve is today still subversive!