The Philanthropenos Restoration; A Late Byzantine Recovery

Marc

Donor
For what little it is worth, some years past I started to outline a supposing that had Philanthropenos helping to slow down the final geopolitical decay of Byzantium (socially they were entering Winter, but not quite there).
An interesting man who dealt extraordinarily well with what he had. Or at least we think so - like so very much, there is hardly any reliable source material.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...tury-byzantine-empire-and-the-balkans.355519/

Last edited:
Id like to find out if alexios army attacked the turks when he ordered or if his passing out stopped that. if they did battle I wonder what happened to osman because if he died in the battle the butterflies would be immense.

Note- Last Tuesday’s update was dismal. I have decided to rewrite it and break it up into two parts so it is less of a cataclysmic failure.

Late Autumn, 1295

Smyrna, Byzantine Empire

A blanket of warmth spread over Alexios, tugging open his eyes. He was lying in a different room, larger and more open. There was a Tourki looming over him, and a set of-

He kicked out, his feet striking bone and yelled for help. Alexios rolled out of the bed, dropping to the floor and skittering sideways towards the door. The Tourki has recovered and was running after him, screaming incoherently. Alexios staggered to his feet and snatched at the door handle, but it swung away from him-

“What on earth are you two doing?!”

Maximos was standing on the other side of the door, his face bright red and a scroll clutched in his hand.

“I was gone for three minutes! Three minutes! And you try to kill each other while I’m gone!”

He stormed in and set the scroll on the windowsill. He regained his normal placidity while his back was to Alexios, and when he turned around his voice was even.

“Alexios, this is Bey Alperen Sezen. Bey Sezen, this is basileus Alexios.”

The Tourki bowed, but his eyes never looked away from Alexios’ hands, and they were laced with wariness. "My bey numbers 6,000, 3,000 men of fighting age. We fled the Mongols, and I now ask to become a foederati.”

Alexios nodded. “Are you and your tribe willing to be baptized?”

“Yes.”

“Alright, thank you. Maximos’ll get started on the treaty. Now,” he turned to Planoudes, “When did the men proclaim me?”

Maximos paled. “How did you know?”

Alexios nodded to Sezen. “You introduced me to him as emperor. And I doubt Andronikos would make me kaisar. Oh, and Bey,” he turned back to him briefly, “Meet is at the Kaikos in three days, got it?” Sezen nodded and jogged out. Alexios watched him go, not yet trusting the man. Once Sezen was out of sight, he turned back to Maximos.

“Six days.”

“Crap. Get Sartana and Alexios in here, as soon as you can.”

Maximos darted out of the room without a backwards glance. He was around the corner in half the tine it took the Tourki. Alexios shut the door and plucked the scroll off the ledge, unfurled it and started reading. It wasn’t good. There were 18,000 men serving the empire, of which 6,000 were garrisoning various towns, and another 6,000 were in Europe, under George Mouzalon. He himself led 5,000, and there were another 1,000 men under Ioannes Tarkaneiotes in Bithynia that had yet to strike for anyone. Sezen’s men would give him an advantage, if they were loyal. On the sea, his brother Nikephoros is protosebastos and megas doux, so if he would join him, that would certainly better his position. In fact-

“Tarkaneiotes is dead.”

Alexios whirled around. It was Sartana Garco, his Italian spymaster, dressed in his standard black coat. With his wan face and dark dress, he seemed Death himself. And he had been, for many an enemy of Alexios or his father.

“Andronikos caught him three days back, just outside of Herakleia. Poison drink.”

“Ah.” Alexios nodded, eyeing the man’s belt. He trusted Garco, but he was one of the few non-Goths in the army with gunpowder weapons, “And in what state are his men?”

Sartana shrugged. “Mostly either dead or enslaved.”

“Is there anyway we could free some of the captured men?”

“No. The ex-basileus may be as intellegent as Basiliskos, but he was smart enough to get them out of the empire, fast.”

He tended and reached for his holster, whipping around as he did so to face the door, ricocheting a dagger off of Rallis-Raoul’s chest armor.

“Damn. I missed.”

The half-Norman glared at him. “What, were trying to blind both eyes with one throw?”

“No. Testicles. Would’ve disabled you but left you alive for questioning.”

Maximos skittered into the room.

“I-“

“Gentlemen,” Alexios waved, “Calm down.” He motioned for them both to sit down. Maximos stood.

“Alexios, what state are the men in?”

“High morale. Well fed. Not too many losses in the last battle, but we’d’ve lost less if the lines had kept straight when you blacked out. Otherwise, excellent.”

Alexios started pacing, doing mental calculations. They watched him in uncomfortable silence, due to the close proximity with each other. After a few moments, he stopped.

“Alright, what’s the quickest way to overthrow Andronikos?”

Sartana grunted. “Stab him.”

“No. That would make it worse.” Maximos said, “Konstantinos would succeed him. The people hate Andronikos. They love Konstantinos. If we do that, we all die.”

“We defeat him by military force.” Rallis-Raoul said, “We hair him over the strait, and destroy his army. We have 8,000 men, he can raise 10,000 at best, and Mouzalon is a poor general at best.”

“Yes, but to quote Sartana, he’s about as intelligent as Basiliskos,” Sartana gave a look of sarcastic shock, “I hear everything you say, but he’s not dumb enough to cross the Bosphorus.”

“Any other ideas?” Alexios asked. No response. “Crap. I’ll go talk to Nikephoros. Dismissed.”

They all crowded out of the room.

Alexios’ sandalos coasted smoothly through the Gulf of Smyrna, occupied only by himself. He hated sailing, the water always made him nervous, and would’ve preferred to just walk to the beach nearest the fleet and take the short hop over, but Nikephoros’ ships were anchored off Makronisi island. A score of ships were lying at anchor in a shallow cove, eight katergon and twelve phortegoi.
The sandalos bobbed between the ships, weaving its way towards the flagship, an ancient chelandion that seemed taken straight from the age of Alexios Megas. The small boat drew alongside the larger ship’s starboard hull and a ladder was thrown down from the deck. Alexios grabbed on and pulled himself up, pushing off of the wooden hull until he scrambled over the gunwale.
The deck was unusually clean, at least as far as he could tell. He’d little experience on sailing ships, but it seemed highly unlikely that a ship out of port should have its sails neatly taken down and lines coiled and laid against the gunwale. The crew was gone, as if disappeared into thin air. The only figure visible was hunched over a table on the leeboard side. Nikephoros. Alexios slowly crossed to him, scanning for the slightest warp or discolor in the boards that might indicate an ambuscade below decks.
Nikephoros Tarkaneiotes was three years older than Alexios, with thin black hair, spindly frame and sharp features, the product of their father’s first marriage. He was seated at a small table with two chairs, atop which sat a chessboard. It took a prolonged throat-clearing for him to acknowledge Alexios’ presence.
“Doux. What brings you here?” he put the last piece on the board, and gestured to the other chair. A fake veneer of hospitality covered his words, but Alexios knew his brother too well to not hear the chill undercurrent. He sat down.
“You know why I’m here.” Alexios couldn’t keep a responding sneer out of his voice, though he stifled most of it.
“I’m afraid I don’t.” Nikephoros pushed a pawn forward.
“If you didn’t know why I was coming, why did you order your men off the deck? You’d only do that if you wanted to be able to speak openly.” Alexios’ voice trailed off.
“No. My sailors are below decks to shelter from the sun. Your move.”
The ladder over the gunwale was gone.
“Your move.”
Think. Nikephoros has you trapped, but he isn’t striking, that means he’s waiting, for what? Either his men are being prepared for an attack, or he’s going to use me as a hostage or turn me over.
“Your move.”
“What? Oh, uh…” Alexios jumped a knight forward.
Nikephoros did the same. “How’s Mikhael?”
Alexios tensed, reaching for his sword. “He’s all right, second birthday in a couple of weeks.”
“It’d be a shame if-“
Alexios lunged at him, knocking Nikephoros to the deck. He jumped over the fallen chair and dropped on to him, pressing his drawn blade to his half-brothers’ throat.
“If you bring my son into this, I’ll personally tear your intestines out through the anus and hang you with them.”
Nikephoros tried to choke out a response, but was cut off by the blade pressing farther on his throat. A drop of blood welled along its edge.
“Do you understand?”
Nikephoros gargled. “Do you understand?”
Alexios pulled his sword away. Nikephoros coughed and frantically gestured to a discolored patch of wood.
“I… wasn’t…”
The patch lifted, a pair of eyes coming into view. Alexios looked back to Nikephoros. A foot fell on the deck. Ten paces to the patch, roughly. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Nikephoros was still, watching, breathing rapidly, Six. Seven. He shifted his grip on the sword. Eight. Nine. He sprung up and whirled around, his blade slamming into the assasin’s with a loud clang. The man yelped in shock and staggered back before charging back, the yelp changing into a war cry. Alexios’ sword struck again, sending its counterpart plunging to the deck. The man turned and ran, charging across the deck before jumping over the gunwale. He heard a faint splash as the would-be regicide hit the water. Alexios started to go after him.
“Don’t bother. He won’t reach Makronisi.”
Nikephoros had regained his feet and started to wipe the blood off his neck.
“Archers’ll pick the bastard off before he gets past the outer ships.”
Alexios nodded, then whirled around and pressed his blade to Nikephoros’ throat.
“You have two sentences to convince me not to gut you.”
“You can’t swim across the Hellespont, Theodoros Palaiolgos has three thousand men you don’t know about, and I want to kill him.” he gasped.
“Very well,” Alexios pulled his sword away. “Explain.”
“If you try to cross into Thrake with no ships, the only place you’ll be ruling is a graveyard.” He started to edge towards the stern of the ship. “There’re three thousand Genoeese mercenaries at Ephesus. And look,” Nikephoros grimaced, “When you’re being waterboarded in Konstantinopolis after this fails, you didn’t hear this from me. Theodoros is holed up in Ephesus, and he has Maria prisoner.”
“Who?” Alexios’ brow wrinkled in confusion. “I’ve never heard of a Maria.”
Nikephoros blinked. “Maria. You know, my wife of eleven years and mother of my two daughters. Your sister-in-law. You’ve met her four times.”
“I’m afraid I don’t know.”
“You talked to her last month! By God, you have the memory of a drunken Copt!”
“Don’t take the Lord’s name in vain.”
“I’ll show you taking the Lord’s name in vain,” he snarled. Instead of carrying through, cut himself off. “Look, this is beside the point. I need your help to free her and waste that motherfucker.”
“I sympathize with you, Nikephoros,” Alexios said, taking a diplomatic tone, “I really do. But I don’t think it would be in the best interests of the Empire.”
“Which one of us has a fleet?”
“You do, but-“
“Enough said. You can’t take Konstantinopolis without me. Though your men may try, they only win after you’ve been knocked out.”
Alexios threw his hands up. “Look, Nik, I can’t just drop everything and take Ephesus.”
“Yes, you can.” Nikephoros grinned. “You have 5,000 regular troops and 3,000 auxiliaries. I’ll board 4,000 akriti, Rallis-Raoul will go north with the others.”
“How did you know about the Turks?! I only made the agreement this morning!”
Nikephoros’ grin widened. “I have my sources. I take it it’s a deal, then?”
Alexios glared at him for a few minutes. “Fine.”
“The ladder’s behind that pile of rope.”

Last edited: