The P-38 with a P-51 type mounting for the radiators and coolers.

Forgot to respond to this one:
There is just enough room to put the housing on the top of each nacelle.
The issue with mounting the radiator inlet on the top of the boom, aft of the turbos, would be the exhaust which ejects through the wastegate piping and from the top of the turbine itself (ratio dependent on the how open or closed the wastegate is of course). Essentially, you'd be feeding the dirty and hot exhaust gasses directly into the radiator inlet--not a good arrangement as it would lead to poor cooling and the fuel and hydrocarbons in the exhaust would likely cause havoc with the radiator itself, not to mention any particulate matter building up in the vanes over time further reducing radiator effectiveness.

Forgot to respond to this one:

The issue with mounting the radiator inlet on the top of the boom, aft of the turbos, would be the exhaust which ejects through the wastegate piping and from the top of the turbine itself (ratio dependent on the how open or closed the wastegate is of course). Essentially, you'd be feeding the dirty and hot exhaust gasses directly into the radiator inlet--not a good arrangement as it would lead to poor cooling and the fuel and hydrocarbons in the exhaust would likely cause havoc with the radiator itself, not to mention any particulate matter building up in the vanes over time further reducing radiator effectiveness.

EverKing, my proposal would have had the rear of the housing, the radiator exit just forward of the turbocharger and waste gate. But anyway, I've concluded the entire proposal is flawed.

Agree that best avenue to reduce cooling drag (without giving up in-the -wing volume) is to increase the fineness of the four radiator fairings with di-con ducting, include boundary layer bleed, and wish that the front mounted intercoolers could be somewhere else. This latter, which would permit a return to the smooth spinner-cowl contours of earlier '38s, would (in the light of present knowledge) boost propeller installed efficiency measurably. Maybe intercoolers in the wing centersection, next to the engines or, alternatively water-alcohol injection when necessary in place of full time intecooling.

Slimmer boom entry and larger boom cross section behind pod would improve (inadvertantly) area rule contouring and raise critical Mach.

Dynasoar

EverKing, my proposal would have had the rear of the housing, the radiator exit just forward of the turbocharger and waste gate.
Oh, right, I forgot that is what you were proposing. Understanding that we've pretty all come to the conclusion that these modifications wouldn't gain much in comparison to the effort involved I still want to take a moment to examine a "radiator between the engine and turbo" installation.

First, you have the main gear which hinges down from exactly that location:
upload_2019-7-10_11-38-12.png

Then you have this, which nicely shows just how packed that area already is:
Temp.png

Plus, you are then exhausting hot air (from the radiators) over the top of the Turbos which may have a negative impact on effective turbine cooling resulting in possible turbine failure.

Plus, you are then exhausting hot air (from the radiators) over the top of the Turbos which may have a negative impact on effective turbine cooling resulting in possible turbine failure.

I'd considered that too but I don't know how to calculate how much an effect it would have, though it probably would not be a good thing. And that illustration of the nacelle showing how crammed it was already clearly shows that the only way to put a P-51 type rad housing on the top (or side) of the nacelle is basically everything would have to be bolted on from the outside. A ugly monster kludge that no doubt would introduce more problems than gains.

The Lightning would have ended up being called the Camel. Dromedary or Bactrian?

Last edited:
The Lightning would have ended up being called the Camel. Dromedary or Bactrian?
XDXD

It is times like this I really miss Just Leo. I would love to see his mock-up of a Lockheed P-38 'Dromedary' (or maybe 'Tricamel'...three camels together, one for each radiator bulge and a third for the canopy).

XDXD

It is times like this I really miss Just Leo. I would love to see his mock-up of a Lockheed P-38 'Dromedary' (or maybe 'Tricamel'...three camels together, one for each radiator bulge and a third for the canopy).

Yes, Just Leo is certainly still missed. I would have like seeing him tearing this thread apart with his dry wit. And what drawings he might have drawn of " Draconis's Dumb Dromedary." :)

Ya know, funny enough there really is a plane called a Dromedary. And a perfectly respectable plane it is too. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL-Mielec_M-18_Dromader Built in Poland. Check out the PZL version of the Wright R-1820.

1280px-South_Dakota_M-18B_Dromader.jpg

The sales rep in Canada is an old flying buddy of mine.

Last edited: