The NEW Our TimeLine Maps Thread!

Thande said:
@Imajin: Tlingit. My 1800 source materials consider that an independent state, though personally I know little about it.
As far as I know the Tlingit were Native Americans with no more formal state organization as any other Native American nation.

Thande said:
Next, a map for 1800 (they will follow in chronological order).
Could you prehaps erase solid borders (just the black lines) on depopulated lands to show it as frontier?

Straha said:
Can you do a pre congress of berlin map? As in 1883?
I'm guessing you could use the 1850 and the 1901 maps together to detrimine parrel but non-exact evolutions in African territory.

Straha

Banned
Othniel said:
I'm guessing you could use the 1850 and the 1901 maps together to detrimine parrel but non-exact evolutions in African territory.
That IS true but I'd like to be precise...

Thande said:
What sort of alliances? Realpolitick stuff like US-UK, or economic and related parterships like the EU and ASEAN?
Pretty much both. IT would be cool to have both the EU and the "CotW" on there...

Thande

Donor
Thanks to JHPier for his comments; the only one I can address right now is

JHPier said:
And didn't the Portuguese colonies get their independence in 1974? So why is Guinee-Bissao marked as independent and Angola and Mozambique not?

Guinee-Bissao became independent in 1974, but Angola and Mozambique during 1975, and as this map supposedly depicts 1 January 1975...

@Diamond - when I said I had a base map for 1750, I mean I have one on paper in a book...it'll take some time for me to transcribe it into gif format as I have the others here.

Thande

Donor
More replies to JHPier's comments (the ones I don't mention here, I have taken on board, and will be corrected in the revised maps):

JHPier said:
Did the US ever formally annex Haiti, Honduras or Nicaragua?
Solid colour means occupied as well as annexed territory, the two only being distinguished by the fact that there is a black border in between if integral/annexed and merely occupied territory is next to each other (e.g. in the 1942 map, Germany proper and occupied northern France are both dark grey, but there's a border in between) - you may have been confused here because the US-occupied territory is not contiguous with US territory proper so I couldn't put a border in between.

JHPier said:
And why don't both Koreas and Japan not boast white borders in the 1950 map?
In 1950 there were no Koreas IIRC, just the territory of 'Korea' of which the north was Soviet occupied and the south American occupied. Japan in 1950 had not yet come to the end of its US 'supervision' (for which I read 'occupation') until 1952.

JHPier said:
Shouldn't the Boer Republics get British stippling?
As in 'being absorbed' stippling?

great maps Thande. how far back do you plan on taking it? will you do more 'interval' maps, such as one during the Napolionic Wars?
what about keeping the pinkish colour for the commonwealth?:confused:

Thande

Donor
Scarecrow said:
what about keeping the pinkish colour for the commonwealth?

Why? How relevant is it in terms of political control? The Commonwealth ceased to have anything other than a cultural connexion with Britain in the 80s at the latest, probably more like the 70s.

Scarecrow said:
great maps Thande. how far back do you plan on taking it? will you do more 'interval' maps, such as one during the Napolionic Wars?

I hope to take it as least as far back as about 1600, beyond which world maps aren't all that much use considering how much of them is basically blank.

I also hope to do more Napoleonic ones, but may need assistance with any territorial changes outside Europe.

Thande said:
Why? How relevant is it in terms of political control? The Commonwealth ceased to have anything other than a cultural connexion with Britain in the 80s at the latest, probably more like the 70s.

yeah i guess. would be nice though:p

Thande said:
I hope to take it as least as far back as about 1600, beyond which world maps aren't all that much use considering how much of them is basically blank.

I also hope to do more Napoleonic ones, but may need assistance with any territorial changes outside Europe.

ah, ok. i look forward to them, but the question of all the minor german states. in some maps they just define it as HRE, and show the large states. on a map this size, most would be the size of a pixel or so...

Great work Thande.

Just one thing I spotted.

Tannu Tuva wasn't incorporated into the USSR until October 1944. Prior to that it was an independent state.

Thande said:
And, finally, here we are in 2006:

Er, for Italy from 1945 onwards, please use the same color as for the US with the marker around, just as for Soviet puppets. That we were and are: US puppets.

Diamond

Banned
basileus said:
Er, for Italy from 1945 onwards, please use the same color as for the US with the marker around, just as for Soviet puppets. That we were and are: US puppets.
Can I call you Pinnocchio? :D

More nitpicks: In 1850 half the Gold Coast shown British was still Dutch (until 1873).
France's Senegal colony was at that same date big enough to show on the map.

Rhodesia became a dominion, I think, at some point before WWII.

Last edited: