The NEW Our TimeLine Maps Thread!

I really do think the map I posted is correct. Here are some other related maps (which all seem to be from the mid-1970s) and also a map of the pre-homeland "reserves" from 1913:

http://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpressebooks/data/13030/d5/ft0489n6d5/figures/ft0489n6d5_00000.gif

(this seems to be before boundary changes were made to bophuthatswana, kwazulu, venda and the swazi homeland):

ft0489n6d5_00000.gif

http://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpressebooks/data/13030/d5/ft0489n6d5/figures/ft0489n6d5_00001.gif

(changes in Bophuthatswana):
ft0489n6d5_00001.gif

and three maps showing the reserves from 1913:

http://www.sahistory.org.za/pages/h...jects/grade11/lesson8/graphics/map-africa.jpg

map-africa.jpg

and some better ones:

http://www.sahistory.org.za/pages/l...oks/Luli/Gold-and-workers/Images/reserves.jpg

reserves.jpg

http://coronadocommonsense.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55417fcfd88340133ecb9a1a2970b-500wi

6a00e55417fcfd88340133ecb9a1a2970b-500wi

Note how the 1913 reserves area on the border with Mozambique agrees with the kwazulu border changes map I posted earlier.

Does anybody have a map of the provinces of Manchukuo in 1941? Please and thank you?

Don't think I can help you there, sorry. This Japanese-language map is the closest one to the 1941 situation which is readily available online. It shows the Manchurian Empire in its then-11 anto in 1937. At that point two more were just set to be created in the northwest which raised the number to 13.

Manchukuo.jpg

Don't think I can help you there, sorry. This Japanese-language map is the closest one to the 1941 situation which is readily available online. It shows the Manchurian Empire in its then-11 anto in 1937. At that point two more were just set to be created in the northwest which raised the number to 13.

Blah, that map makes my eyes bleed :D But thanks!

@Dr. Pervez Hoodboy,
Here's your 1948 World map request part one, the Old World. I have shown the approximate limits of Communist control in China as of late 1948 in the PRC pink. The rest of China, except Tibet is shown in the imperial China green. Tibet was de facto independent in 1948, and is shown as an independent state. In northern Xinjiang I have shown the Second East Turkestan Republic which existed from 1944 to 1949 w/ Soviet backing. The SSR borders in the USSR are as of 1948, the only differences is the existance of the Karelo-Finnish SSR, and a different alignment of the Uzbek/Kazakh border. The Uzbek/Kazakh border did not assume its present day alignment until the early 1960s. The red blip on the Finnish coastline just west of where the capital of Helsinki is located, is the leased port of Porkkala, which the USSR controlled as a naval base until about the mid 1950s. I will be posting a key to go along w/ the map to explain the rest of stuff.

Old World 1948.png

@Dr. Pervez Hoodboy,
Here's the key that goes w/ the maps. The Italian colonies in Africa, although at the time of the map were under British and French administration in the case of Libya, and British administration in the case of Eritrea, and the southern 2/3rds of Somalia are outlined in Italian brown to denote that they are still technically Italian colonial possessions.

1948 World Map Key.jpg

@ Qazaq:

Good map. One point though: it wouldn't be correct to display Japan as an independent power in 1948. It was under American military occupation until 1952 after all, while the Ryuku islands were under their direct administration as a seperate entity until as late as 1972.

Indonesia was also in the middle of the National Revolution against the Dutch colonial authorities, so some changes should be made there as well. Different parts of the country were under either Indonesian republican or Dutch governmental control.

Last edited:
Thank you, Qazaq. That will come in handy. Without belittling your work, there are a few corrections that I have to suggest:

(1) I think you tried to show the Julian March, but it was larger.

(2) Georgia's northern border was different, since it incorporated some territory from former administrative units which Stalin abolished when he deported their population. I know for sure they had annexed parts of the Karachay AO and Kabardino-Balkar ASSR and possibly the Chechen-Ingush ASSR. I've attached a map of the western Soviet Union in 1946 below.

(3) You might consider depicting the US-Soviet division of Korea.

dtc_139_tif.jpg

I've been looking but can't find one.

Is their a Q-BAM of the Interwar period, specifically one that shows the Weimar Republic borders?

Thank you, Qazaq. That will come in handy. Without belittling your work, there are a few corrections that I have to suggest:

(1) I think you tried to show the Julian March, but it was larger.

(2) Georgia's northern border was different, since it incorporated some territory from former administrative units which Stalin abolished when he deported their population. I know for sure they had annexed parts of the Karachay AO and Kabardino-Balkar ASSR and possibly the Chechen-Ingush ASSR. I've attached a map of the western Soviet Union in 1946 below.

(3) You might consider depicting the US-Soviet division of Korea.
Where did you find that map, and where is the rest of it? I have shown the situation in China as of mid 1948, but the extent of the Julian March I have shown is only approximate. You're right about the RSFSR/Georgian SSR border is off, it actually didn't attain its present alignment until the early to mid-1950s. As for the Korean Peninsula, I have shown it as a single nation, due to the fact that the DPRK/ROK split didn't take place until 1949, and you did request a 1948 map. I forgot to mention that I didn't show Kashmir as a disputed area, due to the fact that the Line of Control wasn't established until 1949, so I opted to show India and Pakistan w/ the borders in the area at the time of their independence from Britain in 1947, which of course, as we all know didn't last for very long, when the squabble over Kashmir started up, and which continues to this day. Actually, that map you posted of the western part of the USSR shows the area of Chechnya and Ingushetia as part of the RSFSR.

Here's a patch you can surgically attach to the map I just did for you, showing the border fix between the RSFSR and the Georgian SSR, that way I don't have to repost the entire map again.

Caucasus Region 1948.png

Here's another patch showing the provisional split of the Korean Peninsula, showing the DPRK/ROK border as a dotted line running along the 38th parallel across the middle of the peninsula. Of course you could look at that dotted line as a demarcation between Soviet and American occupation zones.

Korean Peninsula 1948.png

Last edited: