The M-BAM Main Thread

Mapping art need in realistic maps because serious inaccuracies in base map lead to loss of accuracy that is necessary for work with a high level of detail elaboration. Minor inaccuracies such as an inconspicuous discrepancy Robinson's projection is pardonable but serious distortions lead to a catastrophe

Most times I raise this issue though, someone inevitably says qbam/mbam is accurate enough for a-h purposes, or that we've already invested too much time making this inaccurate version to redo and switch to an accurate version.

My response last time stands: At the moment you do not have a map that anyone can actually use to produce historical base maps unless they put in about 10 times the time as using MBAM/QBAM/Worlda/whatever. That's a pretty significant barrier to getting acceptance.

Most times I raise this issue though, someone inevitably says qbam/mbam is accurate enough for a-h purposes, or that we've already invested too much time making this inaccurate version to redo and switch to an accurate version.

Dang, it's like I predicted these two objections in advance or something...

Dang, it's like I predicted these two objections in advance or something...

Because they're completely valid responses that you haven't actually ever done anything to address?

I mean lets take the example of something that I'm doing at the moment because you've raised this in a general manner. At the moment, I'm redrawing the rivers of China for QBAM. Now I'm having to do this somewhat roughly by combining some province river maps with province district maps online and then transferring to the QBAM by eye.

Now, from an objective point of view just having a Robinson projection map with a Robinson projection rivers/terrain map to accompany along the lines of your suggestion makes this step easier, but the problems are:

1. There isn't one, you've produced a Robinson projection map that's roughly similar in scale to MBAM but I can't find any occasion of you actually producing one for a QBAM equivalent scale.

2. Even what you have got done doesn't even have a modern political borders map in place, so that would need to be drawn.

3. And then having got some nice Chinese Rivers I'd have to redraw everything else.

Fundamentally, the long-winded, error-prone technique I'm using is actually quicker and easier than just adopting your preferred suggestion, because of the fact that there's already the existing infrastructure to drop it into. Especially considering that your QBAM scale projection currently exists as, well, a physical terrain map that needs tracing from scratch.

So, honest answer here are you actually prepared to do any historic basemaps if it would get people to swtich from QBAM to a strict Robinson projection? Even if it's just the easier 20th Century ones?

And I do mean Q-BAM scale here not 'massive scale which means that Canada is the size of the QBAM'

As it happens, the only Robinson projection map I ever produced (here) is 2008px wide, slightly under half the width of qbam. Not sure what this "Robinson projection map that's roughly similar in scale to MBAM" is that i am supposed to have made. My preferred projection is Kavraiskiy-7.

So, honest answer here are you actually prepared to do any historic basemaps if it would get people to swtich from QBAM to a strict Robinson projection? Even if it's just the easier 20th Century ones?

I can sincerely state with hand on heart that I have no plans to work on any Robinson projection maps unless someone pays me rather more than I would actually be worth. That is because I happen to dislike that projection.

As it happens, the only Robinson projection map I ever produced (here) is 2008px wide, slightly under half the width of qbam. Not sure what this "Robinson projection map that's roughly similar in scale to MBAM" is that i am supposed to have made. My preferred projection is Kavraiskiy-7.

I can sincerely state with hand on heart that I have no plans to work on any Robinson projection maps unless someone pays me rather more than I would actually be worth. That is because I happen to dislike that projection.

My mistake, so substitute Robinson for K-VII in the question then.

In that case, real-life permitting (because keeping body and soul together has always been my #1 priority), yes.

Well, I can't promise everyone else would be on board, but you'd certainly have a much stronger case with them in that case. Certainly a QBAM-scale map with integrated detailed terrain and rivers basemap would be the sort of thing that could be enough to bring people over considering that there are significantly fewer historic BAMs which don't need massive amounts of updating anyway.

I would love to have a map between Worlda and QBAM scale, really @Ashtagon - independent of the projection (I am no projection expert, though, and I just want to be able to use the map to show countries and their borders and subdivisions etc.)! Could some experienced mapmakers maybe revive the World-M project (see "Aiding and Abetting" thread)? Or, if you like that more, go for Kavraisky VII or whatever projection you want!

I would really love a map scale between Worlda and QBAM!

Guys why do you discuss projections over pages on this thread? Most people on here who will use a basemap just want to have a map regardless of projection and "projectional correctness".

There are few works that are so detailed and worked out that a projection would somehow matter

I When I see Ukraine on MBAM
15042651.jpg

It's Ukraine on actual MBAM
15071322.png

It's Ukraine on old MBAM (from page 89)
15025247.png

It's Ukraine on Google maps
15022173.png

Attached below left, the Ukraine region in standard qbam. Below right, the same region, nominally Kavraiskiy-7/Wagner-6 projection centred on 10° east, with width:height ratio adjusted to match qbam. In both cases, Malta and the edge of Sicily were used as reference points to fix the lower left corner (coastlines from g.projector internal data; borders from a re-projected hi-res plater caree map).

Ukraine 4.png
Ukraine qbam.png

Last edited:
I actually wanted to overlay those two Ukrain maps, but I was runnin late (real life issues for next few days will limit my ability to particpate). Someone with more time able to overlay those two, in order to better visualise the difference?

Judging by eyebal Mk I, it appears that Ukraine, and Europe generally, are stretched vertically in qbam (notice where Gotland is), plus a distorted Volga.

Sooo the trend of people going to vacation continues

I'll be in Scotland for the next 2-3 weeks meaning that I either can't work for this time on my claims (US, Aussie, Germany, Ukraina) or I can't even respond at all (depending if we have Webz connection)

Just sayin' that my inactivity isn't because I left and that my claims still stand.

However, if someone desires to do something, then you lads can do Romania or the stuff Hipster Stalin wanted to do as he appearently is ded