The Long National Nightmare: A Collaborative Timeline.

A while back, I started a timeline called "The Long National Nightmare." This is a revamp of the earlier timeline, but I am opening it up for contributions in the form of a collaborative timeline. There will be a few rules, of course, but I want to make it as expansive and as detailed as possible, so I will be welcoming any and all contributions.
  • As politics/elections are touchy subjects, I will be reserving the right as thread creator to have final say over the results. But I will only make such decisions after consulting the contributors and finding a general consensus. This doesn't mean that political contributions aren't welcome (quite the opposite), it just means that some may be vetoed by me if they violate the cannon.
  • I don't know a lot about certain aspects of culture, particularly sports, so any and all contributions related to movies, music, sports, Olympics, technology, etc, are really appreciated. The more detailed, the better.
  • We will be going on a month by month basis, with the aim of having each day filled with some kind of event/contribution. So feel free to get down to the nitty gritty when posting.
  • Infoboxes/maps/graphical/image contributions are also welcome.
August through September 1974 is now open!

Thursday, August 8th, 1974: President Richard Nixon announces in a televised speech from the Oval Office that he will resign from the Presidency in the face of certain impeachment over his role in the Watergate scandal. Vice President Gerald Ford is slated to ascend to the Presidency at noon the following day.

Friday, August 9th, 1974: After an emotional farewell to the White House staff, the Nixon family departs the White House. At noon, Vice President Ford is sworn into office in the East Room of the White House while now former President Nixon flies back to private life (and legal woes) in California. The new President – the first to never have been elected to either the Vice Presidency nor Presidency – spends his first afternoon in the White House with the leaders of both chambers of Congress, where he agrees to address a joint session of Congress in the coming days. Meanwhile, much of Nixon’s staff is axed, with Jerry TerHorst becoming press secretary after Ron Ziegler is fired. Two notable survivors include Al Haig, whom Ford retains as Chief of Staff on an interim basis, and Patrick Buchanan, who is offered a diplomatic posting to South Africa instead.

Saturday, August 10th, 1974: Pat Buchanan declines an offer to serve as Ambassador to South Africa and departs the White House to return to his career as a political pundit and columnist.