The Last Hanover: The Life and Reign of Queen Charlotte

So glad you like the post! There are some sapphire tiaras in the vault, don't worry - I'll post them with my next tiara post. The Britiah royal family is going to be known for their jewel collection ITTL.

Oooh, thank you!
The tiaras are not identical and Alix and Minnie wear them in a very different way...

(and I hope you have caught who my hints are referred to a specific tiara or better coronet)
(For me the fact who the two most beautiful tiaras designed by Albert for Victoria were allowed to go out of the main royal line is a crime)

Last edited:
(and I hope you have caught who my hints are referred to a specific tiara or better coronet)
(For me the fact who the two most beautiful tiaras designed by Albert for Victoria were allowed to go out of the main royal line is a crime)
I not only caught the hint, I'm running with it ;) I completely agree with you about the tiaras Albert designed, and I promise they'll be making an appearance. Leopold is a very generous husband who likes very shiny things.

Am seeing we've got the following generations atm.

- Charlotte I, m. Leopold of Belgium, r. 1830
- George?
- Poss son of George? prev. Duke of York, m. Dagmar of Denmark*
Unnamed King (ruling in 1955)
Unnamed King (ruling in 2021), m. Queen Alexandra
Deceased Prince of Wales, m. Sophie of Wurttemburg
Duke and Duchess of York
Charlotte of York

* Dagmar was born in 1847 which is far too late for her to marry a son of Queen Charlotte, so expect she must have married a grandson, but she is Queen by 1896.

Last edited:

- George?
Duke and Duchess of York
Charlotte of York

* Dagmar was born in 1847 which is far too late for her to marry a son of Queen Charlotte, so expect she must have married a grandson, but she is Queen by 1896
You've got some of it right! ;)

- George?
Duke and Duchess of York
Charlotte of York

* Dagmar was born in 1847 which is far too late for her to marry a son of Queen Charlotte, so expect she must have married a grandson, but she is Queen by 1896.
My guess is that George marries Sophie of Wurttemberg and Dagmar marries their second son (or possibly their eldest son as OTL George V was known as Duke of York during Victoria's lifetime so Charlotte could decide that her eldest grandson by George will be Duke of York).

My guess is that George marries Sophie of Wurttemberg and Dagmar marries their second son (or possibly their eldest son as OTL George V was known as Duke of York during Victoria's lifetime so Charlotte could decide that her eldest grandson by George will be Duke of York).
OTL George V WAS a second son who became heir after his elder brother’s death

OTL George V WAS a second son who became heir after his elder brother’s death
But he didn’t become Duke of York until after Eddy died.

What was your guess, out of idle curiosity?

My pleasure! :)

I thought so lol :) Dagmar helps usher in a very glamorous stage of English society. Plus, the original plan was always Alexandra in Russia until the Tsarevich fell in love with Dagmar instead.

So glad you liked it! This was just the tip of the iceberg - there will definitely be many more tiara posts in the future!
I thought what scuttled the Alix to Russia plan was that Bertie got there first. If Alix is available I think they’ll take her.

I thought so lol :) Dagmar helps usher in a very glamorous stage of English society. Plus, the original plan was always Alexandra in Russia until the Tsarevich fell in love with Dagmar instead.
Just a note, I think Dagmar would likely be called Mary in England, given her full Christian name, the xenophobia of the English, and the fact that Dagmar is not a very English sounding name.

I thought what scuttled the Alix to Russia plan was that Bertie got there first. If Alix is available I think they’ll take her.
I've heard of a couple different things happening around the same time - Alix didn't want to go to Russia, Bertie showed up, and the Tsarevich preferred Dagmar.

And with certain bridegrooms ages, Dagmar is gonna be the better bet.

Just a note, I think Dagmar would likely be called Mary in England, given her full Christian name, the xenophobia of the English, and the fact that Dagmar is not a very English sounding name.
I know, but I like Dagmar lol. Plus, Leopold, Alexandrina, Victoria, and Albert were all foreign names that the Brits adapted to pretty easily. And, we're due a lot of Marys and Maries, so I'm trying to keep everyone straight

Last edited:
And my personal favorite - the Amethyst Parure. The provenance behind this piece is fairly unknown - Sophie of Wurttemberg began wearing it during her widowhood, in keeping with mourning standards of the time. The set appears to have stayed in the vaults after her death - it was never seen again until the Queen debuted the set during a Coronation banquet in 1966.
Please, tell me we're going to get more of this story. There are quite a few story threads hinted at in this paragraph (4 story hooks, by my reckoning)
Hmm...
Emerald and Diamond Tiara? (left the family sometime between 1880 and 1896)
Ruby Strawberry Leaf Tiara? (left the family in 1885, to Beatrice), not to be confused with the 'Alice' Strawberry Leaf Tiara
Sapphire Coronet? (left the family in 1922)
(because what’s a family reunion without a tiara event?)
Well, every family has their own peculiar traditions. In my family, there's a subtle "cooking competition"/"one-upmanship". It goes like this: in the weeks prior to a family get-together, there will be 'casual' discussions about 'what' will be brought. At some point this will crystallise. Someone will declare 'I'm bringing X'. Sometimes that declaration sinks like a stone. Sometimes that declaration is the catalyst, and then suddenly everybody (everybody who is 'competing') is bringing the exact same thing. Past dishes of contention have included: Boston Bun*, Jelly Slices, Pumpkin Scones, Trifle, Mince Pies, Gingerbread Men, Sausage Rolls, Spanakopita (may or may not include spanakotiropita)**. It's not the only food at the get-together, but it's not unusual to have a number of plates with the same thing dominating the food table
*No, I have no idea why it's called a Boston Bun. More likely to have something to do with Lincolnshire than Massachusetts, but the precise origin of the name is lost to history.
**This might be a dead giveaway about just where I grew up, given the juxtaposition of a list of fairly Anglo dishes, and one Greek dish nestled there like it always belonged there. Historically, it didn't. Geographically, it does.

I don't mind who has babies or what they're called, as long as the section is called #SuchBabies #MuchMany - of that, I insist.

Please, tell me we're going to get more of this story. There are quite a few story threads hinted at in this paragraph (4 story hooks, by my reckoning)
You'll get just about all of it, pinky swear ;)

Hmm...
Emerald and Diamond Tiara? (left the family sometime between 1880 and 1896)
Ruby Strawberry Leaf Tiara? (left the family in 1885, to Beatrice), not to be confused with the 'Alice' Strawberry Leaf Tiara
Sapphire Coronet? (left the family in 1922)
The Emerald and the Strawberry leaf already exist ITTL, and the Sapphire is coming soon!

I am trying to get the #SuchBabies#MuchMany post out tomorrow but it'll be my third shift of three in a row, so Friday or Saturday are looking more likely unfortunately!