The Kingdom of Purity: A French TL

Hey everyone, I've decided to start up a timeline! This is my first TL on alternatehistory.com, so please do bear with me. I highly appreciate you guys pointing out any mistakes or leaving suggestions. Constructive criticism is welcomed just as much as praise is. By the way, the title of the timeline comes from the symbolic meaning of white in France. White represents the monarchy, and it was the national color of France before the French Revolution (much like you would associate red with Great Britain). The color white was also seen as symbol of purity in France.

Prologue

1765: Louis, Dauphin of France

[The people of France] should find it to be quite a miracle. With the Dauphin alive and recovering, [France] has a golden future. [The Dauphin] will most certainly lead [France] out of these dark times. Long live the Dauphin! Long live France!
-excerpt from the journal of Jean Masson, a French soldier

On the 18th of December, 1765, bells began ringing throughout churches and towns in the countryside of France. People started to celebrate in the streets and cheer for the good news. Louis, the Dauphin of France, was going to live! Following extensive care by his friends and family, Louis's symptoms of illness slowly began to disappear. The Dauphin was speedily recovering from his disease. The people of France, who thought that the much-beloved heir to the throne was going to die, celebrated and partied all throughout France. Louis was a promising man that seemed to be fit for the job of ruling France. The people knew that a man like Louis was needed to help steer France out of the dark times it was in.

Part I: The Late 18th Century

The Death of Louis XV

Nine years after Louis, Dauphin of France, survived through his illness, his father- Louis XV of France, peacefully passed away in the middle of the night. The death of Louis XV paved the way for a new era in France. Some would say that Louis XV was a great leader that brought stability to France. Indeed, during his reign, no foreign army was ever able to cross into France. However, most people would argue that it was because of his actions that France had slowly begun to become less and less important on a global scale. The disastrous loss of the French colonies in the Seven Years' War not only humiliated France on the world stage, but also weakened France internally. The French treasury was at it's lowest point in years.

On the 16th of May, in 1774, Louis, the beloved Dauphin of France, was crowned king. He was named Louis XVI, and thus began his eventful reign. His wife, Marie Josepha, became Queen of France with Louis's ascension to the throne. The people all across the country had begun to celebrate and party, reminiscent of what had happened nine years ago. People across France began to shout, "Le roi est mort, vive le roi!" (The king is dead, long live the king!).

Under Louis XVI, France slowly but surely began its recovery from the financial ruin that plagued France since the end of the Seven Years' War. Though the nation was still in deep debt, the stability of the country ensured that more money was being brought in passing day.

The American Revolutionary War: Part I: 1775-1780

For almost two years France slowly recovered from its decline. A calm period of time, during which Louis XVI became popular with the people of France. He was a religious and well-educated man, with a rather keen sense of morality. Faithful to his wife (and likewise, his wife was faithful to him), he was seen by many people as the ideal Catholic king.

In 1775, war broke out on the other side of the ocean. The high taxation and unfair treatment given to the Thirteen Colonies led them to unite and rebel against the British. Immediately, several prominent French figures took an interest into the war, but they said nothing, preferring to first watch the war. The Battles of Lexington and Concord, the Battle of Bunker Hill, the capture of Fort Ticonderoga; the show put on by the brave Americans was rather admirable. By this point, France had been secretly shipping weapons, ammunition and other supplies over to the rebel colonies. Louis XVI, however, was very hesitant about joining the war. Though the debt had substantially decreased, France still had a lot of debt to pay off.

For five years, the American rebels braved the storm, fighting a great number of battles against the British Empire. From 1775-1780, the war colonists kept on fighting. Various attempts by the British government to make peace and compromise with the colonies failed. In the meantime, Benjamin Franklin, a prominent American figure, had begun to gain popularity and favor from the French people. Many French people- nobles and peasants alike- wanted France to go to war with Great Britain and help the colonies. Despite this, however, Louis XVI still decided to play things a bit more cautiously, for the time being.

The Battles of Saratoga, in 1777, proved that with enough supplies, the Americans had a realistic shot at victory against the British. However, as the war dragged on, the Americans began to gradually lose to the British. Just supplies weren't enough for the Americans to keep the war going in their favor. Short on men and short on morale, the colonists lost a series of battles in 1789, crippling the Continental Army. The Thirteen Colonies, or the United States of America, were on the verge of total defeat by the British. The Americans were desperate now.

However, on January the 3rd, King Louis XVI saw an opportunity and took it. France formally declared war on Great Britain that day, and the news quickly reached the Americans several weeks later. The morale of the Americans instantly burst up, and the war effort was renewed. The United States of America was formally recognized by France, and newer, larger shipments of supplies were sent across the Atlantic. Soon, on January 11th, Spain followed their French allies and declared war on Great Britain, also recognizing the USA. After that, the Dutch Republic also declared war on the British on January 27.

Suddenly, the situation seemed to reverse itself. The British panicked, and Parliament renewed its attempts to compromise with the colonies. The Americans, now emboldened by their powerful new allies, vigorously refused to meet with the British representatives. Soon, the French and the Spanish would make Great Britain pay for the Seven Years' War.

Very excited about this TL. Congrats on your first! I'm looking forward to writing my first later today, as it happens!

Last edited:
While it is interesting what reforms did the King made for the french economy start to recover? And what are the goals France want to accomplish by going to war?
A new king does not mean the financial mess that France was in would disappear, and going to war without fixing it would just bankrupt the country no matter how loved the king is.

Last edited:
While it is interesting what reforms did the King made for the french economy start to recover? And what are the goals France want to accomplish by going to war?
A new king does not mean the financial mess that France was in would disappear, and going to war without fixing it would just bankrupt the country no matter how loved the king is.

I too am interested to learn just how France recovered, now that someone mentioned it. It's nice to do away with stuff by saying "and then it got better" but [usually] only with minor/less-than-relevant stuff that's too complicated to be worth spending a ton of time discussing.

1) The debt crisis/generally poor economic situation in France after the Seven Years' War and 2) its mismanagement by the hapless and out-of-touch monarchy and ruling class were together the WHOLE REASON for the French Revolution (and thus very major, very relevant). You've done a good job, danfrancisko, of butterfly-ing away the latter, but Xgentis has a good point about the former.

You said

For almost two years France slowly recovered from its decline

but never explained how. Color me excited, but this really could use some fleshing-out (at least say how the TTL Louis XVI did things better than OTL Louis XVI in an out-of-character author's note at the bottom---use an annotation or something). Keep it up!

Thanks for the replies guys.

While I can't exactly remember where I read about it, I definitely remember reading something about Louis XVI and how he put France into an even worse economical situation while they were recovering.

It said something about how after the Seven Years' War, France was in deep debt, however after a couple of years it was on its way to slowly and gradually improving. France's debt was being paid off bit by bit and no new debts were being made. France was still in a bad economical situation, but it was nevertheless recovering. Then Louis XVI intervened in the American Revolutionary War and the debt massively increased, and France didn't get a lot of compensation for their vital and crucial part in the war. So in this timeline, France delays on aiding the Americans for another two years, during which the French economy continued to slowly improve. The French intervention will no doubt cause more debts for France, but it wouldn't be as bad as OTL. Still bad; just not as bad.

While I can't exactly remember where I read about it, I definitely remember reading something about Louis XVI and how he put France into an even worse economical situation while they were recovering.

It said something about how after the Seven Years' War, France was in deep debt, however after a couple of years it was on its way to slowly and gradually improving. France's debt was being paid off bit by bit and no new debts were being made. France was still in a bad economical situation, but it was nevertheless recovering. Then Louis XVI intervened in the American Revolutionary War and the debt massively increased, and France didn't get a lot of compensation for their vital and crucial part in the war. So in this timeline, France delays on aiding the Americans for another two years, during which the French economy continued to slowly improve. The French intervention will no doubt cause more debts for France, but it wouldn't be as bad as OTL. Still bad; just not as bad.

Perfect, works for me. Keep going on yours and I'll keep working on mine ^_^

The American Revolutionary War: Part II: 1780-1782

An alliance between France, Spain and the Dutch Republic ensured that the American rebels would be able to fight on. French and Spanish relief forces were sent to the New World to help the Americans fight, as well as to help properly train and drill the Continental Army. Dutch convoys sent great amounts of supplies and money. Guns, ammunition, powder, food- they were being shipped over to the Americas. Britain, alarmed by the supplies that could quickly turn the war around, began raiding supply convoys and hijacking ships. The Royal Navy severely hampered the Allied effort to help relieve the Americans.

On the 24th day of March, in 1780, François de Grasse, a French admiral, was given the task of clearing the English Channel by taking out a British fleet that was blockading Calais. De Grasse arrived with his fleet of 36 ship-of-the-lines on the 4th of April. The fight began early in the morning of the 4th, with fog and heavy rain hiding the French ships. De Grasse's ships quickly moved in and fired upon the British ships, shocking and confusing many sailors. British admiral Sir Samuel Hood commanded a smaller fleet of 31 ship-of-the-lines. When Hood realized the French were attacking, he immediately ordered his ships to begin counter-firing. The British were in a bad situation, and Hood ordered his ships to begin sailing away to find a better place to fight. Suddenly, the storm took a turn for the worse when a great gale of wind blew the British ships to the north. As the British ships were pushed forward, they passed by the anchored, stationary French ships who fired broadside after broadside. As each British ship moved up, it got into the firing range of another French ship. Eventually, two British ships were sunk by the French, with sailors and seamen jumping into the cold and rough waters. One British ship succumbed to the pressure and surrendered. The fight continued on for another hour or so, adding to the British casualties. Finally, Hood's fleet retreated in disarray after being punished by the French and the storm. The French lost 3 ships and almost a thousand men, while the British lost 11 of their ships, losing more than three thousand sailors and seamen. The French won a decisive victory at Calais.

The defeat and retreat of Hood's fleet allowed French and Dutch convoys to continue sending supplies over to the Americans. In America, Franco-American attempts to push the British out of major cities such as Boston and New York succeeded. The British were totally defeated at the Siege of Boston, April 1780 to May 1780, and the Siege of New York, April 1780 to June 1780. The Siege of Pensacola, a Franco-Spanish operation, pushed the British out of West Florida, restoring Spanish control to all of Florida.

In India, the French lost several trading posts and cities, including Pondicherry. This led to Hyder Ali, the sultan of Mysore, to declare war on Great Britain. At this point, the French had only been sending small and medium-sized armies and relief forces to help the Americans. However, realizing the potential of the war between Britain and Mysore, France quickly agreed to help their Mysorean allies. The French sent a large army under Marshal Louis Nicolas, the Duc de Muy, to help the Mysoreans. Muy took around 12,000 men and landed in India in late August. Muy linked up with Hyder Ali and the Franco-Mysorean army laid siege to British-controlled Pondicherry. After only two weeks of bombardment, the British surrendered to the vastly superior Allied forces. With Pondicherry back in French control, the two marched through the British colonies in India, defeating the British garrisons and the East India Company in a series of decisive battles culminating at the Siege of Calcutta on August 27, 1781. On that day, Calcutta surrendered, and a large part of British India was effectively occupied by French and Mysorean forces.

French and Spanish attempts to take the British islands in the West Indies were repulsed. The two were able to score a couple of victories over the Royal Navy, but were unable to take any of the actual British colonies. Likewise, a combined Franco-Spanish siege of Gibraltar failed.

On the 5th of September, in 1781, de Grasse, the hero of the Battle of Calais, won another decisive victory over the Royal Navy at the Battle of the Chesapeake. The great French victory cut off Thomas Graves's fleet from sending supplies to General Cornwallis's army in Yorktown. George Washington and the Comte de Rochambeau won a resounding victory over Cornwallis, leading to the direct surrender of a whole British army. After the series of crushing defeats, Parliament began to press for peace talks. The British had lost Florida, all of its Indian colonies, as well as decisive battles at Calais and Yorktown. The peace treaty would be signed on April 25, 1782.

(AUTHOR'S NOTE: These updates have been pretty short so far, but that's only because I have been a bit busy over the past few days. You can expect longer and more detailed updates coming up soon enough.)

From what I know France economic problem are institutional. You have the nobility and the clergy who pay no taxes or very little. The french economy would need serious reform to avoid the stuation it was IOTL.
http://www.fsmitha.com/h3/h33-fr.html

From what I know France economic problem are institutional. You have the nobility and the clergy who pay no taxes or very little. The french economy would need serious reform to avoid the stuation it was IOTL.
http://www.fsmitha.com/h3/h33-fr.html

The thing is, it hasn't avoided the situation. I don't know if you misread my posts, but France is still in deep, deep trouble in their economy.

I'm trying very hard to remember where I read about it- but from what I know, the economy was nevertheless slowly, gradually recovering, and then the French intervention in the American Revolutionary War screwed everything over and after a bunch of bad harvests, the French were just like, okay, we've had enough. Prior to these bad harvests and the intervention in the war, France was just in a post-war period- bad economical situation and dissatisfied people.

Thande

Donor
Nice work so far, keep it up. Don't be discouraged if people make valid criticisms of your work--a lot of people take it on board and then later make a v2.0 with those in mind, but for now carry on with your scenario.

Treaty of Paris: 1782

Following the capture of Cornwallis's army by the French and the Americans in 1781, Great Britain began to press for peace talks. France, Spain, the Dutch Republic, the United States, and Great Britain would all come to an agreement on the 25th of April, signing the Treaty of Paris.

Dutch Republic

The Dutch were forced to cede Negapatam to Great Britain, due to their largely unsuccessful role in the war against Britain.

Spain

The Spanish gained British Florida and Minorca, after many debates and arguments with the British.

France

The French, who won a number of great victories and contributed the most to the war effort, were given back Quebec and the other Canadian territories that were captured by the British in the Seven Years' War. The French also bought Louisiana back from the Spanish. In return, the rich British colonies in India were returned to Great Britain.

United States

The Americans were recognized as an independent nation by every European power involved in the war. The Americans were also granted the land west of the original Thirteen Colonies up to to the Mississippi River, except the land around the Great Lakes- this was given to France to link Louisiana with Quebec.

Great Britain

The British lost a large amount of land as a result of the war, though not many Brits cared too much because the prosperous colonies in India were considered far, far more valuable than Canada. As a direct result of the war, the British gave up on their "first" empire in the New World, and began to focus on creating a "second" empire in Asia.

I can't tell, is this an anti-Britain or pro-France TL? Kidding; again, keep it up!

You say that like there's a meaningful distinction to be drawn. ;)

The bit about the French getting the Northwest seems like it could go interesting places: the French are still liable to wind up in dire financial straits eventually, so there's probably going to be some American purchases of their territory, but the French might be less willing to part with the Northwest if they feel like it'd threaten the viability of Quebec. Of course, that in turn hems in the States quite a bit. There may be a Franco-American war in the works here...

Interesting idea, I look forward to seeing where this goes :)

So just to clarify, did Britain lose ALL of Canada, or just the previously-French bits (i.e. Canada proper) while keeping the English areas such as newfoundland?

I can't tell, is this an anti-Britain or pro-France TL? Kidding; again, keep it up!

Heh, well I hate it in TL's when the rival nation of the main country becomes incredibly weak. The part about the "second" British Empire should foreshadow quite a bit.. ;)

So just to clarify, did Britain lose ALL of Canada, or just the previously-French bits (i.e. Canada proper) while keeping the English areas such as newfoundland?

I would love to make a map, but I'm bad at making those. To answer your question, France basically gained all of their old North American colonies back, with the exception of Newfoundland and Acadia- the only two places still held by the British.

Louis XV died from smallpox. I'm not sure his demise was entirely peaceful.

Eh, well a "peaceful" death in my eyes is one that happened naturally. AKA, not getting assassinated or killed in battle or falling off a horse or something like that.