The Jewish Republican Army

POD: 1945.

What if a significant portion of the worldwide Jewish community swears to never forgive Germany for the Holocaust and goes so far as to form a terrorist group called the Jewish Republican Army (modelled after the Irish Republican Army, of course) to wreak as much havoc as possible on Germany and German citizens wherever they may be in the world?

ITTL, the JRA has about the same strength as the IRA IOTL, but is much more irrational and fanatical (think Nazism in reverse). They violently oppose the 1973 admission of East and West Germany to the UN, and the 1989 reunification. They even assassinate Milli Vanilli, Claudia Schiffer, and Heidi Klum. :eek: (Assuming, of course, that such people and events even exist under this scenario....)

What effects would the JRA have on:

1. The Cold War?

2. The European Union and its predecessors?

3. The world in general?

This is ASB. Plain and simple. The ASBs would have to:

-- prevent the creation of Israel
-- cause explosive population growth amongst the Jeiwsh population
-- allow the Nazi party to be legal in Germany
-- prevent all Jewish immigration and force the entire Jewish population to Germany.

and a host of other things that would make this very difficult, even for ASBs.

POD: 1945.

What if a significant portion of the worldwide Jewish community swears to never forgive Germany for the Holocaust and goes so far as to form a terrorist group called the Jewish Republican Army (modelled after the Irish Republican Army, of course) to wreak as much havoc as possible on Germany and German citizens wherever they may be in the world?

ITTL, the JRA has about the same strength as the IRA IOTL, but is much more irrational and fanatical (think Nazism in reverse). They violently oppose the 1973 admission of East and West Germany to the UN, and the 1989 reunification. They even assassinate Milli Vanilli, Claudia Schiffer, and Heidi Klum. :eek: (Assuming, of course, that such people and events even exist under this scenario....)

What effects would the JRA have on:

1. The Cold War?

2. The European Union and its predecessors?

3. The world in general?
more like Anti-Fascist Zionism Army
1. If they attack both Germany, no major difference
2. Not too much. Ireland joined EU, right?

If Jews wastes so much energy "revenging" the Germans, they could lose their war against the Arabs
And earlier post-Nazi anti-semitism.

eidt:
It might try to revenge other countries with anti-semite history. Spain for example.
But this is kind of ASB

IIRC there actually WAS such a group that planned on poisoning German watersupply. It failed obviously.

MacCaulay

Banned
I think it's kind of ASB the way the person pitched it. But I don't think the idea is.

In real life, the Mossad spent a fair amount of it's time for the first few decades of it's existence in Germany and Argentina hunting down former Nazis and killing them.

What I'm wondering here is why you'd even need a different name when the Haghanah or the Stern Gang might be doing it, if they hadn't been drawn so skillfully into the mainstream of Israeli politics.

So that's what I'd go with: if the PoD was that the Haghanah hadn't been drawn into the mainstream and had stayed a paramilitary organization, then yes: I could see this happening. But not in some really high level way, like there were hundreds of Germans dying every year, and they were taking out members of the Wehrmacht and stuff. This would be similar to what they did in OTL, that is: taking out confirmed SS members who had been at the deathcamps, etc.

Except the Haganah WAS the mainstream in British Palestine/Israel, including all Jews who weren't either pacifists, archaic religious fanatics or members of the Irgun or the Stern Gang.

Which also makes clear why the Israeli government was able to put down the Irgun and Stern Gang so rapidly in 1948.

So that isn't a credible choice. Now, a splinter group such as the Irgun or Stern Gang, suddenly stripped of military power and condemned to the political wilderness for at least a generation...

Also, this isn't a fair comparison since I don't recall the IRA ever being dedicated to destroying Great Britain.