The Hot Worldwar: Upsetting Fallout

Lately, I've been reading Harry Turtledove's Korean War Era series, the Hot War, and it got me to thinking ...

What if the Race invaded that World, instead of ours?

While Progress has indeed Marched onward, it isn't quite the nightmare scenario, Atvar often envisioned, where a Thermonuclear Exchange was initiated, instead of just an Atomic one ...

And all the Race can do, is build up enough reaction mass to return to Home, would they fight for this World, and attempt to build their Colony there?

Figure the Race arrives in between the 1st and 2nd books, right after the *Spoiler*Nuking of Paris*Spoiler* ...

Is the Race detected entering orbit, or do they get a chance to watch and wait ...

Either way, what do you think the Outcome would be, Good or Ill and for whom?

B-29_Bomber

Banned
They had difficulty dealing with the WWII era.

They'd get their snouts beaten in during the early Cold War era.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
They wouldn't even bother fighting a conventional war. They'd nuke the superpowers, conquer Africa (perhaps parts of Asia) and call it a day.

Not necessarily. The reasons why they were hesitant to let the nukes fly with reckless abandon in canon are still valid.

Not necessarily. The reasons why they were hesitant to let the nukes fly with reckless abandon in canon are still valid.
That's one reason why I posted this thread, that and I've wondered about a Cold War invasion since the Worldwar Series debuted ...

Remember, the Race still has their Canon Mission, plus, the Colonization Fleet is still en route, as well!

So, how do the Human Powers re-act, is it War as usual, or do they also bury the hatchet ...

Even more importantly, is the Technology of the day, powerful enough, to detect the Race as they enter Orbit, or do they arrive un-detected?

B-29_Bomber

Banned
So, how do the Human Powers re-act, is it War as usual, or do they also bury the hatchet ...

Considering that there wasn't a war going on upon their arrival, I'd imagine that NATO forces would be fine working with WAR-PAC. I mean they were "fine" working with the fucking Nazis in canon and Post-Stalin USSR isn't nearly on that level.

I'd imagine that relations between the two will be "correct".

Considering that there wasn't a war going on upon their arrival, I'd imagine that NATO forces would be fine working with WAR-PAC. I mean they were "fine" working with the fucking Nazis in canon and Post-Stalin USSR isn't nearly on that level.

I'd imagine that relations between the two will be "correct".
Well, that's the fun of the Hot War Series ...

They ARE in a shooting war, just not one anyone actually wanted ...

MacArthur gets Truman's blessing to A-Bomb 5 cities in Manchuria, the Soviets do the same thing to Western Europe, and the whole Kerfuffle just kinda Snowballs from there!

That's why I put the Race's Arrival, or at least actual Military Involvement, at the end of the 1st book ...

Shit kinda just got Real, the Death toll has about reached World War II levels, and the Red Army has taken almost ALL of West Germany!

B-29_Bomber

Banned
Well, that's the fun of the Hot War Series ...

They ARE in a shooting war, just not one anyone actually wanted ...

MacArthur gets Truman's blessing to A-Bomb 5 cities in Manchuria, the Soviets do the same thing to Western Europe, and the whole Kerfuffle just kinda Snowballs from there!

That's why I put the Race's Arrival, or at least actual Military Involvement, at the end of the 1st book ...

Shit kinda just got Real, the Death toll has about reached World War II levels, and the Red Army has taken almost ALL of West Germany!

Oh. I thought this was OTL.

But they arrive during the Colonization series which took place in the 60s well after any war that involves Truman as President.

You're likely looking at the immediate post-war era.

Oh. I thought this was OTL.

But they arrive during the Colonization series which took place in the 60s well after any war that involves Truman as President.

You're likely looking at the immediate post-war era.
The idea is, the Race invades during Harry Turtledove's new series, the Hot War ...

Picture Atvar and Co. being 10 years delayed, for some reason.

The Colonization Fleet is still 20 years behind them, and although the European Theatre, is in the process of consuming large numbers of Tanks ...

The Race will still be facing, at the very least, the very same weaponry, that made them Sue for Peace in the Worldwar Series!

Add to this, at least 50 million dead due to the A-Bombs, partially on the American West Coast ...

But, counter-balanced by the Technologies of the early Space Race, that are just about to lead to this Timeline's Version, of Sputnik and Explorer ...

What will the Race do, if they Arrive, right before the start of the 2nd book, of the Hot War Series?

Last edited: