The Golden Dragon of Wales: A Glyndwr Rebellion TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guilty as charged. :p

Maybe I should create a conlang version of Welsh for this Tl... @Ivoshafen, you up for helping?

gladly! If you want the help.

Excellent, I'll have to do some digging first and then I'll get back to you. ;)

Having done some digging and found a nice list of 'proper' Welsh place names I might go back and put them in. It would make sense given the setting after all. ;)
I'm massively impressed you're doing this.:cool::cool::cool:

I don't actually find the anachronistic spelling too egregious in this TL as you're doing it for all the languages and thus is a translation convention.
But I do like that you recognise this.
Look forward to seeing the result!

I don't actually find the anachronistic spelling too egregious in this TL as you're doing it for all the languages and thus is a translation convention.
You're the fella that helped me with my Old English ages ago weren't you? Glad to see you here to be honest, Annwn is a good writer and I'm sure you'll enjoy his works

Having lived in Wales for a time, I thought it might be fun to what I can do with it all. ;)

It might take some extra research, but hopefully it will be worth it!

I'd actually prefer the anachronistic spelling, it helps the viewers get to know Modern Welsh a little better. I've certainly got some excitement out of reading place names and recognizing certain words :^)

I'd actually prefer the anachronistic spelling, it helps the viewers get to know Modern Welsh a little better. I've certainly got some excitement out of reading place names and recognizing certain words :^)
Interesting you should say that, I went through Chapter 1 and put in the Welsh names for various places and I noticed that several of the names that look Welsh are actually English derivatives, Llandovery for example. The modem names of places will still be in the chapters, so you know where everything is happening, but as footnotes where applicable.

So how does the POD siege play out differently from our timeline?
Well unfortunately, there is little information available about the proceedings of the siege itself so the precise change is not possible to detail. However, it is known that Glyndwr and his French allies came very close to capturing the castle so I don't think it is too much of a stretch for him to tip that over into actually taking it, as he did several other important English castles.

Last edited:
Any chance there will still be a llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch? I can't speak my Cymraeg apart from that haha :)
Given that that name was invented by the Victorians deliberately to be the longest place name in Britain, probably not. :p But a lot of places will use their 'proper' Welsh names so fairly long and confusing names are to be expected. ;)

Given that that name was invented by the Victorians deliberately to be the longest place name in Britain, probably not. :p But a lot of places will use their 'proper' Welsh names so fairly long and confusing names are to be expected. ;)

Wait a minute, for real?
The Victorians invented that Name because they wanted the longest Name?
I always wondered when I first heard it being spoken, why no one ever make it shorter.

Love your Thread by the way, so fantastic to read, here in Germany we don't know much about Welsh people and their History.
A shame really.

Wait a minute, for real?
The Victorians invented that Name because they wanted the longest Name?
I always wondered when I first heard it being spoken, why no one ever make it shorter.

Love your Thread by the way, so fantastic to read, here in Germany we don't know much about Welsh people and their History.
A shame really.
Yep, it's actual Welsh name is Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll. The long version was invented for promotional purposes and means: Parish of St. Mary in the Hollow of the White Hazel near the rapid whirlpool and the parish church of St. Tysilio with a red cave.

Thanks, I hope you continue to enjoy it.

I've actually learned more about many countries here than I did reading history books.
Agree, me too.
I was just lurking around for the last two years, till three days ago I finally joined but,it was always so good to read here.
It challenged me to dig deep in other countries history.

Status
Not open for further replies.