The fate of minorities in an Islamic State of Indonesia

Kokoda

Banned
Darul Islam was a major post-independence Indonesian political party which, from the late 1940s to the early 1960s, waged an important guerrilla war in West Java to impose Sharia law all over Indonesia. Let's suppose that Darul Islam somehow came to power, how would the Hindu, Christian and animist minorities of the Lesser Sunda Islands, Maluku and West Papua be treated? Would there have been violent persecutions and forced conversion programs? Or would the traditionally tolerant Islam in Indonesia leave them in peace?

Last edited:
In which years darui islam take powers also how would they be able to take power is it by using their military or because being elected

Kokoda

Banned
In which years darui islam take powers also how would they be able to take power is it by using their military or because being elected
Let's say that the Japanese occupiers favour Islamists over nationalists as collaborators, and Sukarno is executed during WW2. So Darul Islam is a natural choice when Indonesia gains independence. The Americans recognize the legitimacy of this new ultra-conservative government as a means of containing communism.

kholieken

Banned
- There would be more secesssion attempt.
- There no persecution or forced conversion, except in non-monotheist adat. All five Indonesia minority theoritically believe in one supreme god.
- Confucianism would not be recognized.
- Public funding to Islam would be even more overt,
- there would be mosque in most high school, minority likely abandon public school to private school
- there would be even more problem with blasphemy law.
- Permission for building new religious building would be even more difficult. Most new worship would be in 'house church'
- marriage of muslim women to non-muslim men would be banned.
- Muslim conversion would be banned

Kokoda

Banned
- There would be more secesssion attempt.
- There no persecution or forced conversion, except in non-monotheist adat. All five Indonesia minority theoritically believe in one supreme god.
- Confucianism would not be recognized.
- Public funding to Islam would be even more overt,
- there would be mosque in most high school, minority likely abandon public school to private school
- there would be even more problem with blasphemy law.
- Permission for building new religious building would be even more difficult. Most new worship would be in 'house church'
- marriage of muslim women to non-muslim men would be banned.
- Muslim conversion would be banned
How would Western missionaries in West Papua be treated? In the 50s, Papuans were still predominantly animist. Would the central government forcibly Islamize them (as in OTL Malaysia) before Christianity definitely took hold in the region?

Last edited:
Pakistan is already one of the world's most repressive and persecutory Islamic theocracies...

Very true. Killing of Christians and atheists is not uncommon. Even Iran offers better protection to its own religious minorities even if they are not completely equal with Shias.

Let's say that the Japanese occupiers favour Islamists over nationalists as collaborators, and Sukarno is executed during WW2. So Darul Islam is a natural choice when Indonesia gains independence. The Americans recognize the legitimacy of this new ultra-conservative government as a means of containing communism.
Well East Indonesia probably declare their independence, since they almost did it because of the old first verse of pancasila
How would Western missionaries in West Papua be treated? In the 50s, Papuans were still predominantly animist. Would the central government forcibly Islamize them (as in OTL Malaysia) before Christianity definitely took hold in the region?
Papua would probably remained with the dutch

Kokoda

Banned
Well East Indonesia probably declare their independence, since they almost did it because of the old first verse of pancasila

Papua would probably remained with the dutch
If the Netherlands refuses to give West Papua to Indonesia, a war between the two countries would be inevitable IMO. A war in which the USA would be unlikely to get involved. In the end, the Dutch would leave, just as they did in Suriname.

Last edited:
The vicious invasion of East Timor would be something to consider. Also, if Jakarta stands as a jihadi government, I wonder how the Philippines and a post-Cold War America would react to Evangelicals and Catholics alike being persecuted.

If the Netherlands refuses to give West Papua to Indonesia, a war between the two countries would be inevitable IMO. A war in which the USA would be unlikely to get involved. In the end, the Dutch would leave, just as they did in Suriname.
I kinda doubt that the Darui movement is even interested in Papua

Kokoda

Banned
The vicious invasion of East Timor would be something to consider. Also, if Jakarta stands as a jihadi government, I wonder how the Philippines and a post-Cold War America would react to Evangelicals and Catholics alike being persecuted.
Tensions could run high between the Philippines and Indonesia. But I sincerely believe that the American reaction would just be: "Do what you want as long as you don't support and finance movements that come to carry out attacks on our own territory".

Why not? Territorial nationalism (i.e. the concept of a greater Indonesia) isn't necessarily incompatible with a religious ideology.
because if the Darui movement were the one that ushered in the independence of Indonesia, it would be a different Indonesia than we have today, most of eastern Indonesia is probably independent and have a friendly relationship with the Dutch and most Western world, the old sultanate that still existed in Indonesia would probably declared independence also because the reason why they join Indonesia is because of the treaty they sign with the original government, this didn't even consider that even though Indonesia declared their independence in 1945 they still fought a war against the dutch until 1949, also the communist movement still around by this point of time and this could possibly lead a civil war

kholieken

Banned
I think Malaysia, Syria, and Egypt is better comparison than Pakistan. Malaysia is nearby and Bumiputra program likely copied with preferences to Muslim. Syria and Egypt both had large (10%plus) minority that respected and well established.

- I expect "old" communities (Catholic, Gereja Jawi, Balinese Hindus treated quite well. While foreign missionaries and new religion suppressed (Mormon, Pentacostal).
- what would be problematic is "diaspora" communities where non-Muslims living with majority Muslims. Javanese Hindus and Christians would be under pressure.
- Like Malaysia I expect some kind of ethno-religious identification : with Malays, Javanese, Atjeh, Maduraese, Banten etc considered to be all Muslims tribe. Some really old communities (Gereja Kristen Jawi, Tenggerese Hindus) might get exception or considered different tribes.
- non-Muslim areas / tribes might get treated well. There no interest to suppress Balinese Hindus, Papuans and Batak Christians, etc
- Chinese would be treated like Soeharto days, with holiday banned, I expect Christianity and Buddhist would be promoted in Chinese while traditional chinese religion and deities shrines banned and suppressed.

Tensions could run high between the Philippines and Indonesia. But I sincerely believe that the American reaction would just be: "Do what you want as long as you don't support and finance movements that come to carry out attacks on our own territory".
You say that, but consider Abu Sayyaf and how such a movement would be perceived in the light of a 9/11-style terror attack. America would turn on Islamist Indonesia as hard as they did on Afghanistan IOTL.

I think Malaysia, Syria, and Egypt is better comparison than Pakistan. Malaysia is nearby and Bumiputra program likely copied with preferences to Muslim. Syria and Egypt both had large (10%plus) minority that respected and well established.

- I expect "old" communities (Catholic, Gereja Jawi, Balinese Hindus treated quite well. While foreign missionaries and new religion suppressed (Mormon, Pentacostal).
- what would be problematic is "diaspora" communities where non-Muslims living with majority Muslims. Javanese Hindus and Christians would be under pressure.
- Like Malaysia I expect some kind of ethno-religious identification : with Malays, Javanese, Atjeh, Maduraese, Banten etc considered to be all Muslims tribe. Some really old communities (Gereja Kristen Jawi, Tenggerese Hindus) might get exception or considered different tribes.
- non-Muslim areas / tribes might get treated well. There no interest to suppress Balinese Hindus, Papuans and Batak Christians, etc
- Chinese would be treated like Soeharto days, with holiday banned, I expect Christianity and Buddhist would be promoted in Chinese while traditional chinese religion and deities shrines banned and suppressed.
As a Malaysian, I agree with you on the implications part(with the exception on the ethno-religious identification, considering the nature of the Islam being less emphasized in term of inter-ethnic relations when compared to inter-religions relations) but partly disagree with you with the comparison part. For context, the Bumiputera system is a bit more economic and nationalistic in it's nature, and meanwhile, syariah law in Malaysia (which is for the most part only relates to a few minor things really), is only applied to Muslims, while the most part, the (heavily British-influenced) civil law (like for the crime of theft for example)is still the law of the land. Even the first Prime Minister of Malaysia has stated that Malaysia is not an Islamic state and it must not be an Islamic state. This is in heavy contrast to what the goals of Darul Islam is, which is to make sharia law (in its entirety) the law of all Indonesians.

Meanwhile, I honestly think that Pakistan (more specifically the era before the first military coup in 1958) comparison is actually more appropriate than you might think, especially considering the time of which OP mentioned would when a potential Darul Islam goverment would formed, since before the instatement of new constitution in Pakistan, sharia law is not really the law of the land. I think that when @Whiteshore meant by this
Would this regime be a all-out theocracy or would it be “Pakistan: Nusantaran Edition” in its form of Islamic governance?
is more of a "is the regime became a all-out theocracy from the get-go or would the Islamization in Indonesia is more in "a gradual car that is changing gear (not smoothly though) in order to get reached it desired speed" way, in which IMO could be described for Pakistan.

Meanwhile there could be some parallels between both a potential Darul Islam Indonesia and IOTL Pakistan. Both would at least a noticeable Communist movement to content with, both would have some issues failures in regards to keeping the country as a whole, and both would have a country (that is secular and got its independence from the British) as a neighbour that is increasingly worried about the Islamic outlook of the aforementioned countries.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the Communists around would be a constant thorn in a DI dominated Indonesia. The moderate nationalists/militarists were able to leverage US backing and a political alliance with the Islamists to fight PKI and others but I don't know if DI would be able to do the same.

West Papua as then defined likely never gets attached to Indonesia. Portugal likely backs insurrection in western Timor.