The Fascist Republic of India: An alternate history of Independent India

I'm a little confused. Why would the Nizam of Hydrebad call his new 'empire' the Mughal Empire?
Mughal nostalgia and shred of legitimacy
The Nizam is a huge fan of the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb.
Given that he is a fanatic muslim, he wants re-establish Islamic rule. In his mind, the best way to gain the sympathy and support of Indian muslims(those that did want a separate nation) is to style himself as the successor of the Mughal state. Besides, it also satisfies his inflated sense of self. He is after all teenager with massive power.

However it should be noted that the Nizam's domains only extend to the Hyderabad State and nowhere beyond. Even though there are a significant number of his supporters across India(mostly Muslim league members who support him because Jinnah does) none of them hold any power to support the Nizam.
I wont call Nizam a Fanatic Muslim, adherent believer of the faith no doubt and empowering fanatic Muslims but he himself is not one of them both in OTL and ATL, though he is now by association

Mughal nostalgia and shred of legitimacy

I wont call Nizam a Fanatic Muslim, adherent believer of the faith no doubt and empowering fanatic Muslims but he himself is not one of them both in OTL and ATL, though he is now by association
The OTL Nizam was killed by Bill Morgan. His successor and son Azam Jah was murdered in the palace. The current ATL Nizam is Mukarram Jah. The new Nizam isn't out to convert or kill all Hindus but he certainly is running his kingdom on islamic principles. It is Sharia law in all but name.
Like Aurangzeb, he has decided to outlaw music in court. The nobility has been ordered to refrain from engaging the services of prostitutes. The state forces are also not being allowed to do that. The Razakars themselves are adhering to this. In addition, the Nizam, while not supporting or ordering any killings or prosecution of his Hindu subjects, has turned a blind eye to the provocations of the Razakars, who have destroyed several temples and killed a few dozen people.

He is not liberal like his father or grandfather. If upto him(which it is, at least in Hyderabad) he would even impose Jiziya on non-muslims(he hasn't done that due to the presence of the European and American mercenaries, who also flout his rules about alcohol and working women).

The OTL Nizam was killed by Bill Morgan. His successor and son Azam Jah was murdered in the palace. The current ATL Nizam is Mukarram Jah. The new Nizam isn't out to convert or kill all Hindus but he certainly is running his kingdom on islamic principles. It is Sharia law in all but name.
Like Aurangzeb, he has decided to outlaw music in court. The nobility has been ordered to refrain from engaging the services of prostitutes. The state forces are also not being allowed to do that. The Razakars themselves are adhering to this. In addition, the Nizam, while not supporting or ordering any killings or prosecution of his Hindu subjects, has turned a blind eye to the provocations of the Razakars, who have destroyed several temples and killed a few dozen people.

He is not liberal like his father or grandfather. If upto him(which it is, at least in Hyderabad) he would even impose Jiziya on non-muslims(he hasn't done that due to the presence of the European and American mercenaries, who also flout his rules about alcohol and working women).
Isn't Mukarram Jah 14-15 years old at this point ? It looks like hardliners have taken control and and implementing such policies,

Isn't Mukarram Jah 14-15 years old at this point ? It looks like hardliners have taken control and and implementing such policies,
He's had tutors who've radicalised him somewhat. He is certainly not running it all by himself, the Razakars do have control and he does what they tell him to do.

He's had tutors who've radicalised him somewhat. He is certainly not running it all by himself, the Razakars do have control and he does what they tell him to do.
Having a teenage running a Kingdom is a recipe for disaster, no doubt he is already somewhat fanatical and razakars are doing him no favors

Trouble Down South
Hyderabad
General Prem Kumar Sehgal had been given the go-ahead by Netaji to subdue Hyderabad as soon as possible without any worry about collateral damage. Sehgal had decided to take this command literally. He had about 20 Hawker Hart bombers at his disposal. These aircraft were from the erstwhile Royal Indian Airforce and were somewhat obsolete but Sehgal knew that Hyderabad did not have any anti-air artillery. Thus, as he approached Hyderabad from the west, he ordered a bombing campaign to commence all over Hyderabad. This terrified the Razakars who had no answer for it.

Sehgal's army opened ground hostilities in Osmanabad, one of the largest cities in Hyderabad. There the Razakars were holed up in historical Mughal fort of Naldurg. The Razakars were ill-armed and about 10,000 soldiers were manning the fort with swords and pikes and a few hundred odd guns. The guns too were the rusted 12-bore shotguns with ammo being scarce. The Razakars had also occupied the Secunderabad Solapur highway with a 1000 of their ranks and were confident of resisting any Indian attempt to cross. In fact they were waiting for the orders to move out of Hyderabad to attack Indian forces.

They were in for a rude shock.

Sehgal had brought excessive firepower with him. The Razakars had never in their lives seen the contraption rolling towards them. A column of 30 T-34 tanks were moving with 15,000 infantry troops. Some of the Razakars shot at the tanks but to no avail. The more foolish ones decided to charge the tanks with their pikes but were shot down. Within a few minutes, hundreds of them had been plowed down by tanks.

The troops continued to move across the highway whereas five tanks were diverted towards the fort. The T-34s stood with their cannons aimed towards the fort while the Brigadier, Ram Singh asked the Razakars to surrender. When their commander hurled abuses at him and refused, Ram Singh signalled the tanks to fire. Five simultaneous shots brought down the walls of the medieval structure and the Razakar commander with them. Ram Singh had been instructed not to take prisoners so as to not slow down their movement.

The Indian troops formed a file and began to rain down indiscriminate fire on the Razakars. All 10,000 were killed against as against 10 Indian troops sustaining injuries. One of the injuries was because of a stray Razakar arrow. The extent to which the Razakars were lacking modern weaponry surprised the Indian soldiers. The Hyderabad State Forces were a well-oiled professional fighting force but the Razakars were nothing more than an overcharged militia. They were simply no match for the Indian army.

The Indian troops next captured the town of Latur from the Razakars, once again without casualties. Another 10,000 Razakars here will killed. The Indian steamroller continued to roll towards Hyderabad.

Sehgal decided to push onto Aurangabad to fully take Western Hyderabad. Six columns assaulted the city from the south and west. The resistance between Latur and Aurangabad was cleared by the intense bombing campaign. With the news of the fate of the Razakars at Osmanabad reaching Aurangabad, the Razakars began to massacre the civilian Hindu population of the city. The Hindus in turn began to riot against the Razakars when they heard that the Indian Army was coming for the city.

The rioting was intense. Both sides had anticipated a fight and were well-prepared. As well-prepared civilians could be. Boxes full of kerosene had been stockpiled. Rods, pikes, swords and whatnot. The police too had deserted their posts and joined the groups of their respective religions. The Indians moved at a fast pace and the riots lasted for three hours before the army arrived in the evening.

About 500 people were killed before Sehgal arrived on the city's outskirts. The city was in full chaos to take notice of the entry of the Indian troops. The entry was too narrow for the tanks or for the armoured cars to enter. While the rioters continued to fight amongst themselves the Indian troops began to fire indiscriminately at everyone who stood before them- man, woman and child. By the time they reached the city centre, over 5000 people had been shot down. The Razakars were fleeing as were the Hindus. The army decided to arrest all of them and prisons began to overflow. The army cordoned off a block and stuffed the remaining prisoners into the houses(which also overflowed).

At the end of 20th September, 1946 the first day of what was termed Operation Cricket over 25,000 people had been killed and half of Hyderabad had fallen. Indian casualties were none. However the Indian army had not yet come into contact with the Hyderabadi state forces.

In the west, the local populations had rebelled against the Nizami administration. Both Warangal and Adilabad had rebelled and invited Indian troops for occupation. By 21st September both these cities were occupied by the forces of Major-General Jayanto Nath Chaudhary. The resistance had been minimal here. Muslims made for a small share of the population in both these cities and could not oppose the Hindu population who had decided to kill the Nizami rulers and awaited the Indian army. Chaudhary was welcomed as a liberator and when these two fell, western Hyderabad too had fallen, all within the space of two days. The Nizam had been fed false lies about the martial prowess of the Razakars. These myths were shattered within 48 hours as the army ran roughshod over them all over Hyderabad.

The Palace
The Nizam was understandably perplexed. Half of his so-called 'Mughal Empire's second coming' had been destroyed within two days and now they were coming for him. The Razakars had made him believe hogwash about their mystic powers and that they would be protected from Indian bullets by Allah's grace. Instead, thousands had been killed and many more arrested. Mukarram Jah now decided to summon General El-Edroos, the commander of the Hyderabad State Forces and asked him for council.

"What am I to do, General ?! The Indians are destroying us. They've already captured half of our domains."
"I am well aware, Your Highness. My original council to you was to not fight them. We cannot match them."
"Do you want me to surrender, General ? I don't think Sehgal would spare me."

El-Edroos had judged that the Nizam's Jihad enthusiasm had worn off and the boy was scared out of his wits. He decided to take control of the situation.
"I beg to differ, Your Highness. You are still 14. A child. Let me go and surrender to Sehgal on your behalf. I can convince him that the Razakars had control over the administration and did what they did without your consent. We can absolve you of all blame but I believe that you will have to surrender your kingship. If you don't Sehgal will do to you what you did to your father."
The little Nizam was on the verge of crying but was doing his best to hold back tears. He could not speak and proceeded to just nod.
The General nodded back and left the durbar.

The General had 20,000 well-armed men at his command and had two armoured brigades. He had them all posted in Hyderabad to defend the city. He knew he could give the Indians a hard time for day or two but it was simply impossible to win. He had served the Nizam's grandfather loyally and he detested the Razakars. El-Edroos knew the air raids would start tomorrow or the Indians would be outside the city. So he decided to move quick. He ordered a few hundred of his best men to go and arrest Bahadur War Jung, the head of the Razakars.

"What is the meaning of this, General ?! I will tell the Nizam!"
"Have you no self-respect, you dirty fool ? Threatening to tell on me to a bloody child."
"Boys, tie him up and gag him. Throw him in my jeep."
"Where are you going, sir ?"
"I am going to save your live, soldier. I want three cars with 5 men in each vehicle. I want a big white flag on each car."

The General and his men proceeded to the palace. There the Razakars tried to stop them but all of them were shot down by the state forces. They occupied the palace in the dead of the night. The General entered the Nizam's sleeping quarters and woke him up.

"Wake up, Your Highness."
"General ? What is the meaning of this wh--

THWACK!
The Nizam fell unconscious with the punch to his face. The General picked him up and carried him to the jeep, shooting at the two of his Razakar guards who tried stopping him.
The General, the Nizam and the head of the Razakars now left for Warangal, the city nearest that was occupied by the Indians.

Warangal was being held by Major General Jayanto Nath Chaudhary. The Indian troops posted outside the city flagged the General's convoy and were perplexed to see the military vehicles with white flags. The General got out of his vehicle and went to the commanding officer. His gait and refusal to raise his hands up made the soldiers nervous. He talked to the commanding officer and asked to be taken to General Chaudhary. After Chaudhary was informed of this, he contacted Sehgal for further instructions. Sehgal asked him to let El Edroos in and if he surrenders to provide him with appropriate facilities and if he is not then to shoot him. This was very unusual since even British officers and generals were spared during the war of independence. This could be credited to Sehagl having tasted blood. He even asked Netaji to not spare the Nizam himself and have him hanged publicly. However, Chaudhary refused the order to shoot him, much to Sehgal's annoyance.

"General El-Edroos, what are you doing here ?"
"Good evening to you too, Major-General Chaudhary. You are unpleasant but the news I bring you should make you happy."
"What is it ?"
"The Hyderabadi State Forces are ready to surrender on two conditions."
"What might they be ?"
"The soldiers who surrender should be allowed to leave with their lives and dignity intact."
"The second ?"
"You must spare the Nizam's life."
"Where is he ?"
"Will you spare his life ?"
"Did he send you ?"
"Will you spare his life ?"
"Did the Razakars influence him or did he act of his own accord ?"
"Will you spare his life, General ?"
"I am not an animal, General. I am not going to kill a 14-year old boy. I will spare his life."
"Very well then. We can sign the official surrender tomorrow morning in the presence of the Nizam."
"Where the hell is he ?"
"He's outside sleeping in my car. I've brought you another gift."
"I am scared to ask. What is it ?"
"Bahadur Yar Jung, the head of the Razakars, tied and gagged."
"How'd you manage that ?"
"Consider it a gesture of good faith on the Nizam's part. The Razakars no longer control him. Good night, Major general."

In the morning of 25th September, The last and 8th Nizam of Hyderabad, Nizam-ul-Mulk Khan Bahadur Mukarram Jah I, along with his Commander-in-Chief General El-Edroos signed the instrument of accession, in the presence of Major-General Jayanto Nath Chaudhary, thus dissolving the Princely State of Hyderabad and annexing it into the Indian Union.

200px-Op_Polo_Surrender.jpg

Major General Syed Ahmed El Edroos(right) offers his surrender of the Hyderabad State Forces to Major General Jayanto Nath Chaudhary(left) at Warangal. The young Nizam had been sent off to Delhi for his fate to be decided. He would be under house-arrest for the duration of the war.

220px-Operation_Polo_1948.jpg

The movements of the Indian Army during Operation Cricket.

Indian army tank Black and White Stock Photos & Images - Alamy

Soldiers of the 3rd Cavalry Regiment pose atop a tank in the Nizam's royal palace at the successful completion of Operation Cricket.

Public execution Black and White Stock Photos & Images - Alamy

Razakar leaders publicly hung in Hyderabad

The rebellion in the south was crushed with utmost and ruthless ferocity within a week.

Now it was the North's turn.

Looks like the first round of purges have commenced, though things would become even more dangerous when Northern rebellion is put down.

Looks like the first round of purges have commenced, though things would become even more dangerous when Northern rebellion is put down.
Out of the 2,00,000 Razakars, 25,000 have been killed. All the rest have been arrested, along with their families.
In the next update, I'll write about what is being done to the Muslim League workers across India.

Out of the 2,00,000 Razakars, 25,000 have been killed. All the rest have been arrested, along with their families.
In the next update, I'll write about what is being done to the Muslim League workers across India.
Muslim League in TTL has been curbed before it rose to OTL massive prominence due to Bose's successful revolution, as such they would be not that much trouble but a danger nevertheless.

Muslim League in TTL has been curbed before it rose to OTL massive prominence due to Bose's successful revolution, as such they would be not that much trouble but a danger nevertheless.
Probably any really outspoken political and civic leaders will be placed under police supervision during the current unrest.

It was curbed when Jinnah was coerced into joining the INC. When Jinnah declared his intention to secede the League workers also rebelled and began to riot. While its not morphed into full-scale rebellion the riots are destroying a lot of infrastructure and killing a lot of people.

Probably any really outspoken political and civic leaders will be placed under police supervision during the current unrest.
It was curbed when Jinnah was coerced into joining the INC. When Jinnah declared his intention to secede the League workers also rebelled and began to riot. While its not morphed into full-scale rebellion the riots are destroying a lot of infrastructure and killing a lot of people.
This will probably be used as an excuse to clear out opposition to Bose , Fauj and INC.

Right now, their biggest opposition are the Princely States and religious fanatics associated with them. With this rebellion, they have the justification to execute, liquidate or even just make them all powerless in India, leaving Bose, Fauj and INC completely unopposed.

This will probably be used as an excuse to clear out opposition to Bose , Fauj and INC.

Right now, their biggest opposition are the Princely States and religious fanatics associated with them. With this rebellion, they have the justification to execute, liquidate or even just make them all powerless in India, leaving Bose, Fauj and INC completely unopposed.
The princes are not only fighting due to religious reasons. That was only the Nizam's delusions. But the Muslim League is still a big problem.

Seeing as what happened in Hyderabad, several other prices have announced their intention to secede from India and rule Independently. The Muslim League has also declared that Punjab and Bengal are seceded from the union, even though they are both under Indian control.

At the same time, a few princes are still loyal to India. They believe that Bose will prevail and when the dust settles they want to be on the right side.

How are the Sikh opposition to Bose? Will they try to declare independence from India as well?
None. The premier Sikh Princely State, Patiala is very much supportive of Netaji's regime. Besides other major Sikh states like Kapurthala, Jind, Nabha etc. are also in support.

The British governor of Punjab ordered an attack on the Golden Temple, the most important Sikh shrine. Netaji, in order to get support of the Sikhs, made it a point of his campaign to avenge the attack. He got the Maharaja of Patiala to pay for repairs while tactfully claiming his own government did it. So, all in all the Sikh community is very well-disposed to Netaji. There also 3 Sikhs in cabinet,
Maharaja Yadavindra Singh
Sardar Swaran Singh
Rajkumari Amrit Kaur.

Netaji's most trusted General, Mohan Singh is also a Sikh.
Not really the Khalistani movement didn't take off until the early 80s
The discontent flared up in the late 70s and early 80s. Netaji is only 48 and in great health and his rule is stable. So the discontent preceding the Khalistan movement might not simmer as it did in OTL given how respected he is in the Sikh community. His successors though may face this problem.

Good Morning everyone,
The last post I made was about two and a half months ago. Since then I have not been able to post further updates due to certain family responsibilities. A relative was getting married and you know how long and drawn out these affairs are. Well that is now done with. I had also been hit with a writers block but I am over it now.
I will post a new update today about the war in the north.
Further the story shall focus on the peace treaty with the British, the civil war in China and India's relationship with the Americans and the Soviets.
NETAJI IS BACK!

So, it maybe a long time now but what are some of the goodies that India got for being allies with Germany and Japan? I think we got some scientists from the nuclear programs right?

My sincerest apologies to you, my dear readers, for such a delay in posting the next chapter. There was a death in my family and I could not focus on this timeline. However I've drafted an update and I am going to post it now.
I hope you like it.

My sincerest apologies to you, my dear readers, for such a delay in posting the next chapter. There was a death in my family and I could not focus on this timeline. However I've drafted an update and I am going to post it now.
I hope you like it.
Family comes first, we understand.