The Fascist Republic of India: An alternate history of Independent India

They just dropped the bomb
New Delhi
Bose was shocked.
Gandhi was shocked.
Stalin was worried.
Churchill was happy.
Truman was happy.

The United States of America had just dropped two atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Empire of Japan had announced its surrender and the Second World War had come to an end. The Soviets were mopping up resistance in Manchuria. With Japan's surrender, all its territories too had been liberated. Indochina was liberated and an independent Vietnam that was aligned with India had been established. Thailand had signed an alliance treaty as well. The Chinese Communists had now resorted to attacking Chiang's forces out in the open and were taking over what was formerly the Japanese Empire in China. One event that had been a sort of known surprise was the Indonesian declaration of Independence. The Dutch and their allies did not like it but Bose was quite happy with it. But he had other objectives. He wanted Indonesia to be in his sphere of influence. The country was too big and too far to be made a puppet but an ally was to be made. So he sent Shaukat Malik to talk to their leader, the one they called Sukarno.

Two important matters loomed on Netaji's mind. If the Americans could drop atomic bombs on Asia's premier power then India was not immune from it. There is an urgent need to build our own bombs he thought. If the Americans have it today, the British will have it tomorrow. And their wretched Victorian democracy, as he called it, could re-elect that madman Churchill back to power.
What if he decided to drop them on India ? Ambedkar had told him that there were rumours that Churchill was begging Truman to drop some on Kolkata. Little did he know that the Americans were building a base there. Apparently, Nimitz himself was going to inaugurate it. But India could not be at the mercy of the Russians or the Americans. It needed its own Brahmastra. Netaji had summoned Homi Bhabha to Delhi to tell him to start the process of building the bomb for India.
"Good morning Netaji, its good to see you again."
"Likewise Homi. Here have a seat."
"Thank you."
"I trust you've heard of the news."
"Ah yes. The Americans have really outdone themselves this time. Bloody atomic weapons."
"Today it is Japan, tomorrow-"
"It could be us. I realise that. I think I know why you've called me here."
"Good. You have all the resources you want at your disposal. Money, labs whatever the hell you want. How soon can you build it ?"
"30 months sir. Thats all I need."
"I will only ask this once. Are you sure ?"
"Hell yes."
"Good man. I have another gift for you."
"I love gifts. What is it ?"
"I think you saw the group of Japanese and German gentlemen waiting outside."
"Yes, I thought I recognised them."
"They are the premier nuclear scientists of the axis powers and the leaders of their atomic weapons program."
"Wow! What the hell are they doing here ? How the hell did they even get here ?"
"You don't need to know that. What you do need to know is that they will all be working under you. Choose a site for your lab and testing and get to work Homi."
"See you in 30 months, Netaji."

Homi chose the desert of Rajasthan as his test site. Kota to be exact. His team included the top Indian nuclear scientists, Piara Singh Gill, P.K. Iyengar, Swami Jnanananda, Raja Ramanna and Bhabha's student Vikram Sarabhai. General Gurbaksh Singh Dhillon was appointed as the head of the programme codenamed Operation Brahmastra. The scientists were told that the Thar desert would be their permanent residence until the bomb was built.

The second was the question of the islands in the Indian Ocean. Ambedkar arranged a phone call for the first time ever between an American President and the leader of independent India.
"Good morning, Mr. President.
"Good morning, Mr. Prime Minister. How are you ?"
"Doing quite fine thank you. How do you do ?"
"Great. How's independence treating you ?"
"Well, I do feel somewhat like George Washington."
"Hahaha that's great, Prime Minister. Now I have a matter of some importance that I need to talk to you about."
"Before you do sir, I hear you've disallowed the Soviets from partaking in the occupation of Japan."
"I, uh, yes, well it wasn't my decision alone, the whole allied war council weighed in."
"What did you want to talk about, Mr. President ?"
"Kolkata. You gave a port to the Soviets in Karachi. The US needs one in Kolkata. I understand you want certain islands in the Indian Ocean to be hated over to you from the British."
"That is right, those were parts of the British Raj and now that India is independent, they are under illegal occupation of the British Empire."
"Yes sir I understand. But you must understand my position here. I cannot organise a blanket transfer of power in these regions."
"The Kolkata deal hinges on this transfer, Mr. President."
"You have no navy, sir. How are you going to occupy it ?"
"That is not-
"Netaji, if I may, you've got to help me help you. I will help you get those islands back, but now is not the time. Take a while, build up your navy."
"Very well, Mr. President. I'll build up my navy. And we'll assist your operations in the Indian Ocean."
"Thank you, Mr. Prime Minister, I kn-
"But I am afraid that Admiral Nimitz would be unable to inaugurate your base at Kolkata. Perhaps his successor can. I will personally welcome him. Aboard an Indian battleship. Thank you, Mr. President, you have nice day now.

Then Netaji hung up.

He hoped that Bhabha would deliver the bomb on time.

Shimla
Lord Linlithgow had been staying in the princely state of Patiala, at the old winter capital of the British Raj. Lord Mountbatten was there with him. The security was fierce. 15000 guards of the Patiala Royal State Forces had been posted to protect them, along with 5 armoured cars. This was due to the fact that there were around 1,00,000 protestors outside the palace grounds who wanted the their heads on pikes. These protestors blamed them for the destruction that took place at the Golden Temple. This led to a few lapses in security, which allowed Private Bill Morgan to slip through into the palace.

Lord Mountbatten was sound asleep when he suddenly felt hand covering his mouth and restraining his hands.

"Wffa--
"Shhh sir. I am a friend. I am going to remove my hand now. Please do not shout."
"Who the fuck are you, boy ?"
"My name is Private Bill Morgan of the 1st Punjab Regiment, sir. 99 comrades of mine and I are engaged in a war against Bose's rebellion against the Crown. We intend to take back its jewel."
"I have to admire your gumption, soldier. But a 100 cannot fight against the teeming millions of these savages."
"We have sent a man to Tehran to notify the British commander to assist us. We have also managed to defeat the 150 man garrison in Peshawar and we have taken the city. We disabled communications so the Indians do not know as of yet but we do not have a lot of time."
"I wish I could help you, young man, but right now I am a powerless man. I am prisoner of the Maharaja and his boss, Bose."
"We realise the unfortunate situation, sir. 5 of my men are posing as Afghans and are protesting outside. We have a plan to rescue you. We will put it into action in a week."
"Only me ? What about Lord Linlithgow and his family ?"
"I am afraid only you sir."
"Very well. What can I do to help ?"
"You'll know soon enough sir. I'll take your leave now."
"God save the king."
"God save the king."

Just as the private was climbing out of the window he said
"Oh, and sir eat carefully."

Lhasa
Tibet was under the military administration of General Maharaja Sadul Singh. The train from Srinagar to Lhasa had been half-completed but the all-weather roads had been built and three military basis had been constructed. 40,000 troops were posted in Tibet to maintain strict military law. 24-hour curfews were imposed and all citizens were being ID'd. But the Indian military without its British intelligence was hopeless at maintaining such a strict order. And small rebellions had become common with shootouts and ambushes becoming regular affairs. Since the war was over, Netaji was looking to demobilise some of the troops and had rejected Sadul Singh's request for more troops.

Netaji now decided to reap the fruits of his magnanimity. At the Lhasa airstrip, three transport planes of the Indian airforce had arrived carrying around a 100 men. To the Indian soldiers they seemed like the Gora Sahebs but with atrocious English and Hindi accents. They were wearing the Khaki Indian uniforms but had an eagle emblem on their shoulders and caps. There were rumours going on but no one knew what they were here for.

Heinrich Müller, the former chief of the Gestapo had arrived in Lhasa.

Rangoon
Netaji had traveled to do a public tour of Burma in order to endear Indian suzerainty to its citizens. Gandhi was doing another one separately. While Gandhi went on to rant about non-violence and Indo-Burmese friendship, Netaji was meeting with another top ranking Nazi officer to come up with a plan to control Burma. The Burmese coast and the northern border region of Burma had been annexed into India. Ba Maw declared the Independence of Burma, with a brief constitution, part of which explicitly stated a perpetual state of alliance with India.

Ba Maw became the Prime Minister of an independent, but a much smaller version of Burma. This, while Netaji held long discussions with his friend Heinrich Himmler.

Heinrich Himmler in discussion with Subhas Chandra Bose at German  Headquarters, 1942 (b/w photo Stock Photo - Alamy

Bose with Himmler making plans for prevention of rebellions in Burma

Indian soldiers on patrol during the 1962 Sino-Indian border war.jpg

An Indian patrol at the Mansarovar Lake

Maharaja Sadul Singh Ji of Bikaner By Rohit Sonkiya | Royal family, Blue  bloods, Bikaner

Maharaja Sadul Singh photographed with his sons in Lhasa before a dinner party organised at his mansion in honour of Heinrich Müller.

World politics explainer: The atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

The picture of the atomic bombing of Japan, popularised in the Indian press. This was done on orders of the Indian government to get public approval for building their own atomic bombs.

Unless the Indians have a spy in the Manhattan project then there is no chance in hell of speedrunning a Nuclear weapons program.
The bomb will only be truly ready by the early 1950s is my best guess.

Meanwhile the Allies are going to be very suspicious of the missing scientists and the missing war criminals. Having Himmler escape and live a life of freedom with a friend who happens to be the dictator of India is very cursed.

There must be a suspicious number of mysterious German transport aircraft and U-boats hanging around India, its almost like all the missing Germans went there or something 🤔

Something tells me that India is on the road to becoming a pariah state... Also a lot of western and eastern spies and assassins may want to hang out in the nation.

Unless the Indians have a spy in the Manhattan project then there is no chance in hell of speedrunning a Nuclear weapons program.

Meanwhile the Allies are going to be very suspicious of the missing scientists and the missing war criminals. Having Himmler escape and live a life of freedom with a friend who happens to be the dictator of India is very cursed.

There must be a suspicious number of mysterious German transport aircraft and U-boats hanging around India, its almost like all the missing Germans went there or something 🤔

Something tells me that India is on the road to becoming a pariah state... Also a lot of western and eastern spies and assassins may want to hang out in the nation.
Yes he is right.... There is no way a nuclear bomb can be made in 30 months.

Yes he is right.... There is no way a nuclear bomb can be made in 30 months.
Starting from 1945 it took the Soviets around 4 years (with spies) to get the bomb operational and the British (without American help after 1946) around 7 years to get a nuclear bomb working.

So India having a bomb ready in 30 months is ridiculous to downright impossible.

30 months is unbelieveable for Nuclear bomb for India, but it can be completed and achieved by 1950s at the very least
I agree. Just because someone says it will take 30 months to build something doesn't mean it will get built in 30 months. Homi Bhabha only gave an estimate.

The annexation has not happened yet and all of Burma might not be annexed into India. Bose only wants the coasts secure to prevent a re-establishment of European presence in Burma.
Ok. I get the party line.
The government, to be rather frank, does not need to justify jack shit to anyone. Netaji is a popular dictator with close to zero opposition.
Sure. But such attitude leads to corruption and finally fall of regimes. His opposition is silent due to the new independence factor but with time become vocal. That man couldn't take a snub from Gandhi at Tripuri and resigned let's see what he does ITTL.
Rather than the Hindu code, think more along the lines of uniform civil code. Religion has no bearing on the policy making of the state. Hindus and Muslims will have to follow the same laws.
So what does Uniform Civil Code mean? Does this Uniform Civil Code imply mostly what Hindu Code was? In the name of uniformity impose Hindu rules on the minorities without saying so?
The Chagos Archipelago should definitely be on the list of things that India should take from the UK thanks to how important it would become for the US Military and the fact that awful things did happen to the native people of the Islands.
I don't see any way the British are giving up anything more than Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep.
30 months sir. Thats all I need."
It will take years to have a fully operational uranium mine. It will take years to build a reactor. It will take years to enrich enough weapons grade uranium. A timeframe of less than 10-12 even with full commitment is ridiculous.
Aboard an Indian battleship
Haha. Indian Battleship. India doesn't even have a shipyard for god's sake so no question of even building up a fleet except for obsolete foreign vessels. No one is going to sell us a battleship given our attitude ITTL. Harbouring Himler!? An early form of paperclip is well understandable but Himler and Müller. India is surely going to be a pariah state just left alone as it's not worth the effort.
This, while Netaji held long discussions with his friend Heinrich Himmler.
You say he has no opposition but it seems he needs more security from his fellow countrymen than even the British ever did.

I read about a railway to Lhasa being half complete. The technology needed to build across Tibetan permafrost doesn't exist. It took more than 20 years to reach from Xining to Lhasa and about the road from Srinagar to Lhasa you know that all weather broads to Srinagar doesn't exist. Even with war footing it took two years to build a road from Jammu to Srinagar and similar time would be needed from Muzaffarabad building a railway across the Pir Panjal would itself take years to say nothing about going to Ladakh across Zojila Pass and then the difficult route to Tibet.

Well this timeline is sure a Bose achievement wank. I never thought I would say such a thing 😭.

Agreed.
Discreetly getting Japanese and Nazi exiles (whose name is unknown to the general public) is one thing.
But with Himmler, yeah, India will be an international pariah and might even face blockade / embargo / asset freezing / airstrikes. And same for Tojo (who refused the offer but if he had accepted, that would have put India in hot water).

Keeping Himmler is a severe liability for India especially if he stays even after the full extent of the holocaust becomes know. It's much better to hand him over to Allies.

Also in hoping the 30 month figure for Nukes is due to ignorance of the Character because even the Soviets took about 5 years

Bhabha during his time was a sort of proud man who had a lot of belief in his capabilities. That does not mean that he can deliver. 30 months is unrealistic and when it will not happen it will manifest in Bose's attitude towards Bhabha and the other scientists. The difference from the OTL is that ITTL India will be pouring much more resources into developing nukes. India will have it well before 1974.

About Himmler:-
The Allies do not know where he is. They think he escaped but do not know that he is in India. Bose is going to use his 'expertise' to strengthen control over Tibet and Burma and if at some point it seems that it may be more profitable to turn him over to the allies, Netaji will simply say that India caught him. Remember, India had no qualms about declaring war on and condemning Nazi Germany.

Ok. I get the party line.

Sure. But such attitude leads to corruption and finally fall of regimes. His opposition is silent due to the new independence factor but with time become vocal. That man couldn't take a snub from Gandhi at Tripuri and resigned let's see what he does ITTL.

So what does Uniform Civil Code mean? Does this Uniform Civil Code imply mostly what Hindu Code was? In the name of uniformity impose Hindu rules on the minorities without saying so?

I don't see any way the British are giving up anything more than Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep.

It will take years to have a fully operational uranium mine. It will take years to build a reactor. It will take years to enrich enough weapons grade uranium. A timeframe of less than 10-12 even with full commitment is ridiculous.

Haha. Indian Battleship. India doesn't even have a shipyard for god's sake so no question of even building up a fleet except for obsolete foreign vessels. No one is going to sell us a battleship given our attitude ITTL. Harbouring Himler!? An early form of paperclip is well understandable but Himler and Müller. India is surely going to be a pariah state just left alone as it's not worth the effort.
You say he has no opposition but it seems he needs more security from his fellow countrymen than even the British ever did.

I read about a railway to Lhasa being half complete. The technology needed to build across Tibetan permafrost doesn't exist. It took more than 20 years to reach from Xining to Lhasa and about the road from Srinagar to Lhasa you know that all weather broads to Srinagar doesn't exist. Even with war footing it took two years to build a road from Jammu to Srinagar and similar time would be needed from Muzaffarabad building a railway across the Pir Panjal would itself take years to say nothing about going to Ladakh across Zojila Pass and then the difficult route to Tibet.

Well this timeline is sure a Bose achievement wank. I never thought I would say such a thing 😭.
1.)UCC does not imposition of Hindu law. Far too many muslims of OTL pak and Bangladesh in India now.

2.)Nukes estimate Bhabha is only an estimate.

3.)Indian battleship is not going to manifest out of thin air like you seem to think so. It is a euphemism for Bose wanting to establish a working navy so he could take those islands. This will be the source of conflict between the states and India. By the time Truman goes and the next administration comes, India will get closer to the soviets but as the Chinese commies win, both India and USA will have to reevaluate their choices.

4.)The railway line is not government project it is being undertaken by the Jammu and Kashmir princely state. India claiming that infrastructure has been built does not mean that it is reliable. In a conflict with the Chinese(who have a similar infrastructure), these roads and the rail line will play a crucial role.

Lastly buddy, I am greatly appreciative of constructive criticism. But if you are simply interested in disparaging my writing without any substantive suggestions for improvement, well I'd suggest that there is a lot of other content across this platform for you to pile on.

Last edited:
Bhabha during his time was a sort of proud man who had a lot of belief in his capabilities. That does not mean that he can deliver. 30 months is unrealistic and when it will not happen it will manifest in Bose's attitude towards Bhabha and the other scientists. The difference from the OTL is that ITTL India will be pouring much more resources into developing nukes. India will have it well before 1974.
The story arc in my mind is India having the capabilities to almost-but-not-quite build the nuke and both soviets and Americans courting India, offering their expertise in exchange for an alliance. India will have the bomb definitely before the Chinese do.

Also, if India wants deterrence against Britain and potentially the USA, the bomb itself isn't enough. There will be the need for intercontinental submarines, missiles and/or bombers (preferably all three).

As decolonisation happens, the new countries will look upto India even more than they did OTL. It will only have pariah status from the UK and some American factions. And the Nazis in India has not been much publicised. The spies would be there but everyone wants to have India on their side. The British had one card to play to weaken India and that was to divide it into many states. That has not materialised and now the erstwhile British Raj is under the heavily centralised rule of a dictator.

As decolonisation happens, the new countries will look upto India even more than they did OTL. It will only have pariah status from the UK and some American factions. And the Nazis in India has not been much publicised. The spies would be there but everyone wants to have India on their side. The British had one card to play to weaken India and that was to divide it into many states. That has not materialised and now the erstwhile British Raj is under the heavily centralised rule of a dictator.
One of the reasons I really like this timeline. This truely is an Alternate India. If you told someone from OTL that people like Himmler survive and escape to a country and that country is a sort of pariah but still a powerful countries, Odds are India would not be the one they would think of, infact it would be the last countries they might think of.

India's OTL image was carefully crafted as a Gandhian country by Congress for internal and external purposes. Here no such things would happen as such India being a aggressive Totalitarian Dictatorship would seem unthinkable to OTL. I wonder how many civil rights movements would be in TTL, as Gandhism would not be as popular due to how India became independent