The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting TL so far.

Thank you very much. :) I am so happy and overjoyed you've come over and took a peak.

Is there a map of the parts of Labrador and Ungava in possession of Greenland per chance?

Hmm, not that I know of. In any case, the only area that would be in contention for Denmark/Greenland would be Hans Island, which is nowhere near Labrador or Ungava.

As for British control - that, not exactly off the top of my head apart from what I wrote, but I can give some general direction. Here's a map of the approximate area of jurisdiction of District of Ungava as it stood in 1898; the hashed area was territory claimed by Canada that was disputed with Newfoundland vis-à-vis northern Labrador:
District-Ungava-1898.png

And here's an image of the boundary dispute on Labrador's southern border. Line A was the border drawn up in OTL by the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, and Line B is Québec's claim to the border.
280px-Labrador_boundary_dispute.png

So for the eventual border, I'd something akin to both Line B in the second map as well as the existing southern border of the District of Ungava. The boundary between Labrador and Ungava would be as per OTL, since both historically fell under different jurisdictions, with different laws, and so the distinction would be maintained.

Does that help?

Thank you very much. :) I am so happy and overjoyed you've come over and took a peak.

Hmm, not that I know of. In any case, the only area that would be in contention for Denmark/Greenland would be Hans Island, which is nowhere near Labrador or Ungava.

As for British control - that, not exactly off the top of my head apart from what I wrote, but I can give some general direction. Here's a map of the approximate area of jurisdiction of District of Ungava as it stood in 1898; the hashed area was territory claimed by Canada that was disputed with Newfoundland vis-à-vis northern Labrador:
District-Ungava-1898.png

And here's an image of the boundary dispute on Labrador's southern border. Line A was the border drawn up in OTL by the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, and Line B is Québec's claim to the border.
280px-Labrador_boundary_dispute.png

So for the eventual border, I'd something akin to both Line B in the second map as well as the existing southern border of the District of Ungava. The boundary between Labrador and Ungava would be as per OTL, since both historically fell under different jurisdictions, with different laws, and so the distinction would be maintained.

Does that help?

Pleasure's mine. Whoops on Greenland.

So that's absolutely a pretty sizable chunk of land being integrated into Great Britain.

Disregarding any other colonies, would anymore Canadian land be eyed? Baffin Island or anything?

I wonder if that's enough loss to Canada's land area to make the USA bigger than Canada?

North America is going to be a pretty wildly different place now.

Pleasure's mine. Whoops on Greenland.

That's OK - I perfectly understand.

So that's absolutely a pretty sizable chunk of land being integrated into Great Britain.

Definitely - all together, Newfoundland as a whole would be as large as the UK itself with a fraction of its population.

Disregarding any other colonies, would anymore Canadian land be eyed? Baffin Island or anything?

Probably not - this covers an existing boundary dispute that had to be resolved in any case. Everything else Britain already ceded over to Canada, so Britain has no other stake.

I wonder if that's enough loss to Canada's land area to make the USA bigger than Canada?

I honestly don't think so.

North America is going to be a pretty wildly different place now.

Oh, yes it probably will - but not in the ways one would expect.

---

A new post will be coming out tomorrow, most likely during the daytime here in North America. Stay tuned.

That's OK - I perfectly understand.

Definitely - all together, Newfoundland as a whole would be as large as the UK itself with a fraction of its population.

Probably not - this covers an existing boundary dispute that had to be resolved in any case. Everything else Britain already ceded over to Canada, so Britain has no other stake.

I honestly don't think so.

Oh, yes it probably will - but not in the ways one would expect.

---

A new post will be coming out tomorrow, most likely during the daytime here in North America. Stay tuned.

I wonder what the demographics of Newfoundland, Labrador and Ungava will look like a century later. Going to be interesting to see how you develop this!

There was a joke in the USA around the time of the last Quebec referendum that the only reason they wanted the place was because losing Quebec would make them smaller than the USA.

(pictures the UK in NAFTA) What a strange world this will be.

I wonder what the demographics of Newfoundland, Labrador and Ungava will look like a century later. Going to be interesting to see how you develop this!

Thanks! :) Even I don't know, which will be interesting in and of itself.

There was a joke in the USA around the time of the last Quebec referendum that the only reason they wanted the place was because losing Quebec would make them smaller than the USA.

Great one. :)

(pictures the UK in NAFTA) What a strange world this will be.

Who knows if NAFTA even exists in TTL? ;)

Irish "freedom" is a rather complex issue but generally it was the most industrialised areas that were the most unionist (including Dublin which was the main centre of Southern Unionism). Access to the much larger British and Imperial markets was also a major consideration for the industrial economy. Also, to a large extent, Irish Nationalism was based on a flawed (or at least outdated) economic analysis that "Britain was draining the country dry" and that freedom would mean greater prosperity. Independence occurred just at the point where the Union was spending more in Ireland than it was receiving in revenue from it. And five times as many Irish Catholics died on the Somme as participated in the 1916 rising. Not that there weren't strong nationalist sentiments, there were but a more "federal" approach might have made local devolution work without the Ulster Unionists fearing that they were going to be economically impoverished and culturally swamped?
True, issue is, the guy on the ground isn't seeing that, he's seeing his country ruled by some jackwagon who he can't select, and the idiots up in Ulster prancing around, knowing no matter what, London's got their back.

True, issue is, the guy on the ground isn't seeing that, he's seeing his country ruled by some jackwagon who he can't select, and the idiots up in Ulster prancing around, knowing no matter what, London's got their back.
Well by 1900 he had the vote so it was some jackwagon who he could select and indeed was keeping in office. And London was ruled by a Liberal government propped up by the IPP who were in favour of Home Rule and the Ulster Volunteers were planning to fight the British Government in order to stay British, a rather complicated position in which to find themselves! Problem is, Ireland had two economies at that point. A largely rural peasant population plus inhabitants of small country towns which serviced the same who had no vested interest in remaining within the UK/British empire (mainly Roman Catholic and seeing themselves as of "Irish" ethnicity) and the industrial city of Belfast plus numerous mill towns like Lurgan, Portadown, Comber, Banbridge, Coleraine, Ballymena etc. whose inhabitants worked in linen mills which supplied the UK or Empire Market, the Belfast Ropeworks which supplied the British mercantile marine, the two shipyards Harland& Woolf and Workman & Clark which supplied the British shipping companies and Royal Navy, the Davison Sirocco works which manufactured tea drying equipment for the Empire's plantations.... and the industrial workforce (who were mainly Protestant and saw themselves as of "Ulster Scots" ethnicity) were understandably less enamoured of cutting the links with Britain - they had been keen on this also in 1798 but had a complete volte-face by 1898. Their reasons were several and also included anti-Catholic sentiment but, while they might well be described as bigots, it's not realistic or fair to call them idiots. If the guy on the ground is a factory worker in NE Ireland, "Freedom for Ireland from the tyranny of the British Empire" = Poverty and unemployment for me and my family. Not amazing he wasn't supportive.
Northern nationalist opinion was also very different from what it is today. Before being radicalised by the Stormont years, the nationalists in Ulster were the most cautious and tentative in the entire island. For the same reasons, the Ulster protestants might have kept the cream of the jobs for themselves but even the less desirable jobs kept men alive and able to support their families.

10. The Gibraltar of the North Atlantic
Section 2: The Gibraltar of the North Atlantic

The Newfoundland Regiment’s participation in South Africa underlined an important and enduring dimension in Newfoundland’s history. For centuries, the military had played an important role in the development of the colony, and until 1824, the Admiralty ran Newfoundland, although mainly to keep its waters open as a training ground for new recruits and to keep the West Country fish merchants happy. The Island also served as a battlefield for competing English and French interests in the colony, resulting in several fortifications scattered throughout the Avalon Peninsula. By the late 19th century, however, even if St. John’s were to man these fortifications themselves, they were not only inadequate but also obsolete for the defence not only of the Island, but also of Labrador as well.

Generally, as it had done so many times in the past, the Royal Navy took the initiative, but this time the Army also got involved via the Newfoundland Regiment. This resulted in the construction of a handful of new bases all around the Island, plus additional bases at Cartwright (in Labrador) and Fort Chimo (in Ungava). On the Island, the primary bases bases were at St. John’s and Corner Brook, with secondary bases at St. Anthony (on the Northern Peninsula), Placentia (the site of several French bases in the past), and Cape Race, not far from the Marconi wireless station. [1] Construction of the bases provided work for Newfoundlanders, and thus a temporary boost in employment. As the old bases expanded and new ones were established over time, Islanders and Labradorians helped with their operations and maintenance. The sheer amount of fortifications established on the Island gave it the nickname “the Gibraltar of the North Atlantic”, with some justification.

But there was a problem in the operations of the new Gibraltar of the North Atlantic. Inadequate transportation immediately became a problem apparent in the base construction. Years of sectarianism and political acrimony meant that the road boards’ work was less than satisfactory. The bad state of the roads added a further impetus towards that long-standing dream in Newfoundland of constructing a trans-insular railway that would unite Newfoundlanders from coast to coast. This time, the railway would not be a vehicle for interior economic development, as its promoters believed in the 19th century, but would become the main artery of transport for the British military on the Island, enhanced by the recent American threats of annexation. [2] That it could also serve as a primary mode of transport for Newfoundlanders was an ancillary benefit to these plans, but priority would be for the military. Latent fears that the United States might use an opportunity to further their dream of manifest destiny, despite any indications to the contrary, led the military to make the crucial decision regarding track gauge. Newfoundland’s trans-insular railway would use a broad gauge – specifically, the 5’ 3” track gauge already used in Ireland – to discourage any attempt to link it with the continental North American rail network. Broad gauge also had an additional benefit – the unpredictability of the weather, combined with the harsh winters often experienced in Newfoundland, meant that a broader-gauge railway would be more stable than standard gauge and hence would use more powerful engines than conventional locomotives. [3] Since British companies already had experience supplying the Irish railways with equipment and rolling stock, this would not only cut down on costs but also add a factor of national unity and patriotism.

The story of the construction of the Newfoundland Railway has since passed into Newfoundland folklore, and with good reason, since it was built on the backs of a whole generation of Newfoundland labourers. Some aspects of the story, in the popular conception, dealt with the difficulties of constructing the railway: these included ever-infamous blackflies that were a constant nuisance to builders, and the difficulties of traversing through an interior that many Islanders barely knew existed. Other stories pertained to the public bond drive to help finance the railways, making up a significant contribution to railway finances. The railway’s construction, however, benefited from much experience elsewhere in North America and the UK so its planners knew what to expect. Only two main lines were constructed – one from St. John’s to Cape Race via Placentia, and another from St. John’s to St. Anthony via Corner Brook – which clearly showed the military purposes of the railway. [4] Little if any provision was made for branch lines, which were perceived to slow down the military’s use of the railway.

Nevertheless, when the railways were finally completed, the public was quick to take advantage of them in other ways. Usually it was as a faster alternative to sea transport, where passengers put up with spartan accommodations on board in exchange for the convenience of railways. Only much later did companies willing to participate in the economic development of the Island’s interior take advantage of the railways for freight usage. Though with one exception in the case of Grand Falls Station, where Alfred Harmsworth (also known as Baron Northcliffe) looked to its timber resources as an alternate source for newsprint for his Daily Mail and Daily Mirror newspapers in case of the impending war in Europe. [5] For once, the dream of a railway linking Newfoundland together would finally be achieved, which – combined with the predominant military usage to service the bases – formed a national strategic resource.

--

OOC Notes
[1] Some of those locations were also those which saw US and Canadian base construction during World War II in OTL. These OTL locations matching TTL locations were St. John’s (at the site of the modern airport), Placentia (at Argentia, where the village was flattened to facilitate construction), St. Anthony (which was a radar station, not a full-fledged base), and Fort Chimo (modern Kuujjuaq, where base construction was further impeded by the Arctic-like weather and limited winter transport). Additional bases were built at Gander (at the modern airport), Stephenville (near Corner Brook and in a heavily Francophone area of the Island), and Happy Valley-Goose Bay (the only base, AFAIK, in Labrador).
[2] Minus the latent fears, this was a main role for the Newfoundland Railway in OTL, and for the same exact reason of the bad state of the roads.
[3] These climate concerns were also raised in OTL in the 19th century, when certain New Englanders tried to persuade railway operators to use a broader track gauge – in particular the lessening impact of frost heaves. Stability issues also persuaded the British colonial authorities in India to adopt a broader track gauge for their railways – in particular, the ability to withstand monsoons.
[4] The St. John’s-Corner Brook line largely (but not exactly) follows the OTL Newfoundland Railway, with the reason for the differences due to the OTL usage of narrow gauge and TTL’s use of broad gauge.
[5] This also occurred from 1905 to 1909 in OTL; TTL follows more or less the same trajectory in this case.

---

Well, here we are, another update. :) Special thanks, once again, to Brainbin for his editing skill.

Now that this is done, we're close to temporarily ending our look at Newfoundland until we get to the Great War. I'm still soliciting any help for the British side of things, if anyone is interested. Apart from that - well, I was going to post this last night, and then because of the 90°+ (Fahrenheit) heat and other factors, we suffered an Internet outage for a while. So I'm glad that this managed to go ahead. (After all, surely one wants to know what happened to that bloody railway, eh?) Thus, until next time - thanks for reading this so far, and constructive criticism and feedback, as always, is very much appreciated.

Excellent TL. For the most part this is pretty accurate but I think you should make two small changes. The first one is the Labrador border. Unless the Privy Council decided for Canada that southern boundary should be the same as our TL.

The second thing I would suggest you change is the Bases in Labrador and Ungava to Newfoundland Ranger forts. There isn't really any purpose to having British troops along the border with Canada. It would be more useful to have Ranger Forts similar too the ones that were built in the NWT by the North West Mounted Police to keep order between the various tribes and settlers. Obviously that is going to cost a bit of money but you could just have Britain build the forts and then turn them over to the Rangers.

As I said at the beginning this is a great TL and i can't wait to see what you do in the future.

Excellent TL.

Thank you very much. :)

For the most part this is pretty accurate but I think you should make two small changes. The first one is the Labrador border. Unless the Privy Council decided for Canada that southern boundary should be the same as our TL.

The Labrador border bit (along with the extension) was actually part of an unofficial challenge set forth by a British AH.commer. I could do whatever I wanted, but that extension had to remain. But yeah - I initially thought about using the OTL boundary (in fact, I'm assuming that for TTL that was what the JCPC officially decided), and then I remembered about Quebec's claims along the southern border - minor changes, basically. So I went for that klutz, which I figured would be a messy compromise by everyone involved. But at least the border disputes would be resolved once and for all, without having them wait.

The second thing I would suggest you change is the Bases in Labrador and Ungava to Newfoundland Ranger forts. There isn't really any purpose to having British troops along the border with Canada. It would be more useful to have Ranger Forts similar too the ones that were built in the NWT by the North West Mounted Police to keep order between the various tribes and settlers. Obviously that is going to cost a bit of money but you could just have Britain build the forts and then turn them over to the Rangers.

You know what? I like that. Consider it now canon. :)

As I said at the beginning this is a great TL and i can't wait to see what you do in the future.

Thanks a bunch. Next up will be an update on an alternate take on the FPU, hopefully a few posts on the wider world (if I can get enough help for the British side of things - I somewhat have an idea for the US and Canada, but I'm not sure), and then we'll conclude Part B with the Great War and aftermath. (Yes, I know, spoilers, but I want to lay it all out.)

If you need any suggestions for this TL for the US and Canada, PM Jonathan Edelstein or TheMann (for starters); for Britain, just PM Thande (those are the names I could think of off the top of my head)...

Happy New Year, guys!

This is not an update - just letting you know that I'm not abandoning this TL yet; I still have a backlog to go through. Though with my new job things are going to be a bit precarious - but I can try. I have a post on the FPU and two posts left on the Great War and Newfoundland (which largely regurgitates OTL for those not familiar with the Island's history, minus one bit) and then I can focus on the next section. So stay tuned!

Finally managed to get around to reading this and several other timelines I've been meaning to for an absolute age. Certainly very interesting. Nice to see that you gave them Ungava, somewhat surprised that they're staying British rather than going independent but I can see why. Looking forward to reading more when life allows you. :)

Thank you very much, @Simon . :cool: Your comment means a lot to me, considering it was some of your ideas which gave birth to this TL in the first place. I do have a bunch of updates that I want to upload soon; unfortunately, things have been getting a little crazy on my end (and the weather ain't cooperatin'). But they will be up soon - the next "complete" updates will be about the Great War. Once I get through that, if you're willing to help out, I'm still trying to gauge the domestic reactions in the UK to adding Newfoundland to the UK - I already have the UK as a quasi-federal state (or rather, federalism British-style) so it would be interesting if there would be any changes in the UK itself.

Added threadmarks to the TL, so now it should be easy to navigate the existing bits. The FPU update should be up within the week; after that will be the Great War updates, of which I'm not sure when they'll be up, but that will close out this part. Next part will deal with the 1920s and 1930s, and also little bits and pieces of the wider world as they apply to Newfoundland - primarily the UK and the Americas.

11. The Fishermen's Protective Union
All right, it's been far too long, so before we start, a bit of a warmup from my sojourns on YouTube trying to recreate that Pure Moods CD from the '90s:
And with that:

---

Fpu.jpg

Source: The Maritime History Project at Memorial University, via Wikimedia Commons

Section 3: The Fishermen’s Protective Union

No description of pre-Great War Newfoundland would be complete without mention of one of the major political organizations in the outports. While the Fishermen’s Protective Union (FPU) may not have been directly successful in obtaining its goals, such was its importance that the FPU’s reform agenda became the Colonial Building’s policy during the 1920s. Even today, the effects of the FPU can be seen all over the Island and even as far afield as both Labrador and Ungava, and living daily reminders still exist in the form of the community of Port Union, located on Trinity Bay [1], and in the continuing work of the FPU today and in the University of Corner Brook. Its activities and history, alone, could fill an entire volume, as it was unlike other unions taking shape during this period. What follows is only a necessarily brief summary.

The banking crisis of 1894 had a devastating effect on the outports. Many fishing communities were dependent on a single merchant – often from St. John’s, though occasionally (and historically) from away – and the terms they dictated often determined the economic health of the country. It was the merchant who advanced credit to fishers in exchange for the seasonal catch. Prized among these was codfish, which could attract large markets. Yet during the late 19th century, the owners of the St. John’s merchant firms began reducing their investment in the fisheries. Stronger competition from overseas meant less incentive to focus on quality, while conservation measures – no matter how half-hearted and how often the merchants got around them – restricted the usage of certain types of equipment and what species of fish could be caught. This resulted in Newfoundland’s fish products earning a poor reputation, which restricted where it could be sold. More importantly for fishing families, the merchants also restricted the availability of credit – combined with the huge debt many families took on, poverty became widespread throughout The Rock, although it was partially offset by the winter and early spring Labrador seal hunt.

The end result was that the banking crisis threw rural Newfoundland into huge turmoil. Without access to banks, the merchants could not advance any more credit to families and were thus forced to reduce their operations. Indeed, many merchants went bankrupt, leaving whatever credit they advanced as useless. The Economic War exacerbated problems considerably, as the Whiteway Government found it difficult, if not impossible, to obtain the necessary finances to reopen the banks – at least not if Newfoundland could, and did, avoid joining Confederation. Despite the favourable coverage of Newfoundland in the American press, neither Washington nor Wall Street wanted to get involved with a basket case, as they viewed it. Furthermore, after the Economic War ended, the Bond Government preferred to focus on other priorities which potentially could strengthen Newfoundland’s position within the UK. This forced Newfoundlanders to turn to alternative solutions for survival. Those who lost access to credit – or did not have any credit to begin with – worked for those who did, which created a consolidation of merchant firms. Others turned to the towns, particularly St. John’s, where limited industrial output was taking shape as a result of the Government’s policy for industrial development as a vehicle of national survival, or took to the new timber camps.

Some scholars have compared the rise of the FPU to similar movements on the Mainland, in particular the United Farmers movement in Canada or the Populist Party in the United States. The comparison with the United Farmers movement in particular seems particularly apt, since – although under different circumstances – both had similar origins and goals. Both grew out of frustrations with dependence on merchant firms who had little idea of what was happening in agricultural communities. Both not only promoted the interests of their constituencies, but also were active promoters within rural communities of the co-operative movement. Although the FPU was neither as radical as the United Farmers nor did it ever form a Government, both also were engaged in politics and eventually were able to influence government policy towards their constituencies. Perhaps more telling of their continuing influence, once the FPU and United Farmers eventually got out of politics, they found a new lease on life (particularly the United Farmers of Alberta) as commercial groups, although retaining their co-operative ethos.

What made the FPU special was its radical departure from other fraternal organizations in 19th century Newfoundland. At the time of the FPU’s formation, most fraternal service organizations were organized on denominational lines, such as the Orange Order, the Star of the Sea Association (which was affiliated with the Catholic Church), and the Benevolent Irish Society. The FPU, on the other hand, had a membership which represented all denominations [2] and ignored distinctions based on merchant “loyalty”. Although the FPU’s main stronghold was in the northeastern areas of the territory, particularly Trinity Bay, in the conditions of the Economic War the FPU was able to represent most of rural Newfoundland and Labrador who were involved in either the fishery and/or the seal hunt. Part of its appeal was its community-based focus on improving the horrendous working conditions of the fishery [3] in reflection of how Newfoundland operated on family and community lines when it came to the merchants. Yet lest anyone had any ideas, from the beginning the FPU made clear that it disapproved of class warfare and looked at socialism with disdain. From a Catholic viewpoint, the FPU’s aims and goals could potentially help realize what Pope Leo XIII in his encyclical Rerum Novarum outlined back in 1891, and this sense of social justice was attracted Catholics to the FPU and also overcame initial opposition from the clergy.

There wasn’t much time to lose when the FPU began operations, as the Economic War had ruined Newfoundland’s economy and impeded any chance of recovery in the fisheries, resulting in persistently poor catches – compounded by continued political neglect if not outright hostility. Its political focus had not yet crystallized when among the first priorities of the new Union was finding a way towards financial security for the outport communities. In fact, the direct origins of the FPU lay in its provision of financial services, paralleling the beginnings of the Desjardins credit-union movement in neighbouring Québec – with one big difference. [4] Originally, the FPU’s branches were places where fishers could exchange merchant credit for vouchers similar to early labour voucher experiments in the 1830s in Britain. As the truck system was gradually abolished and more Newfoundlanders were paid actual wages, the vouchers evolved into the beginnings of a federation of credit unions. For rural people, the FPU was their first experience in banking and in particular conducting services without the middlemen that were the merchant’s agents. The FPU soon quickly expanded with the foundation of the Fishermen’s Union Trading Company (UTC), which in reality acted much like a complement to similar retail operations and the health care work run by the International Grenfell Association (IGA) in Labrador and northern Newfoundland. At a UTC store, fishers could purchase their supplies at lower prices than the inflated prices by the merchants’ agents, and the UTC also acted as a cooperative substitute agent and joint marketing body for its members. As an extension of the efforts towards teaching financial literacy to its members, informal “study clubs” were formed, forming the beginnings of a parallel educational system to the denominational schools; these clubs quickly took towards discussing their current situation and identify solutions.

From these study clubs came the idea that there were two ways to effect real change in the lives of fishers. One was to take direct political action, which the FPU did in 1908 with the formation of the Union Party – an important step considering the poor 1907-8 fishing season. However, members also realized that it was just as important to take direct action within the outports and politics was not simply enough. So community co-operatives were established as a response to solving local problems. The FPU launched a newspaper, the Fisherman’s Advocate, and even began operations of its own electric utility and shipyard. Concerned at the lack of schools in the region – and at the bad state of existing ones – the study clubs soon took the initiative and created their own free schools independent of the denominational system. These schools offered daytime education for children and night classes for adults and for children who had to work in the fisheries. On the Port au Port Peninsula, the local FPU study clubs pooled together money to invite teachers – primarily from France, but also from Canada – to teach local schoolchildren the French language, the Catholic faith, and assorted other subjects as an alternative to the existing Church-run schools based on those it ran in Ireland. [5] These Francophone teachers also taught adults how to read and write in their own native language, as well as the basics of English for interacting with the rest of the Island. Eventually, the idea came to pool money together to form a college to train future leaders of the FPU and to identify best practices in fishery management. The public land-grant colleges in the United States as well as the existing agricultural colleges in Québec would inspire this new college. In the meantime, FPU leadership would run an intensive training course for new members on co-operative principles, maths, accounting, economics, and public speaking.

The FPU’s political wing was based on the experiences gained from the various efforts made to improve the lot of outport residents, as well as the lessons learned from the study clubs. However, in the context of Newfoundland politics, the Union Party programme was radical. It wanted an end to the denominational system and locally controlled school boards, and by extension an end to all remaining vestiges of sectarianism, such as the road boards (which in effect, by that point, were similar to the poor law unions in the rest of Britain). It also wanted better fishery management, including an independent quality inspection process free of merchant influence. The Party also asked for an improvement in working conditions, such as pension reform and a minimum wage. It wanted reform to the conservation laws and the electoral system. Finally, it also advocated rural electrification. To demonstrate how such policies could work in practice, the FPU built its own town, Port Union – which also served as the Union’s headquarters. Although its policies were popular among the electorate, the structure of the House of Assembly was such that with the addition of the Union Party no one party could command a majority without forming a coalition Government. Sir Robert Bond initially refused to form such an alliance, until a string of Liberal by-election defeats finally convinced him to enter into an alliance with the FPU. The FPU rank and file, however, were disappointed when much of the legislation pertaining to their interests was half-hearted in trying to stake out a middle ground between the merchants and the Union. The FPU’s members, however, saw great hope in the formation of the county councils, and with elections to these august institutions the Union Party became significant players in local government and more successful in implementing their agenda (albeit without much success in ending denominational education). Meanwhile, the disappointments in improving the lot of ordinary Newfoundlanders led to the defeat of the Bond Government at a general election in 1913, exacerbated by a split several years earlier in the Liberal Party led by Bond’s own Attorney-General, Patrick Morris, forming the People’s Party. The People’s Party was his own political vehicle towards power, yet had a few problems of its own. It tried to mimic the FPU in its goals and priorities, but ended up splitting the Union Party vote in the Avalon Peninsula and the South Coast. Furthermore, although the People’s Party was officially a non-sectarian party, its vote share was largely sectarian in that it lured much of the Catholic vote.

From its beginnings in the Economic War, the FPU had grown significantly to the point where it became an authentic voice of the Newfoundland of the outports. It had taken the Government to task over clauses in the Government of Newfoundland Act, 1898, which required St. John’s to take full responsibility over its territory and thus pay attention to the needs of rural Newfoundland. At the same time, the FPU, though its many services, retained the support of many Islanders, despite public disapproval from the St. John’s fish merchants and – at first – even opposition from the Catholic Church. Yet its efforts to significantly improve the lot of their members at a national level ultimately proved futile, due to the reluctance of the Bond Government. For Sir Robert Bond, much like Sir William Whiteway before him, still believed that industrial development and not the fisheries was the key to Newfoundland’s future. The Great War delayed any chance of improving the economy or reforming any of the Bond Government’s legislation. After the War, a further split in the People’s Party led to that faction to merge with the Union Party and remaining Conservatives, along with some dissident Liberals, and form the Reform Party. [6] It would be the Reform Party that would fully implement the Union’s agenda, and thus transform Newfoundland in the process, alongside its traditional conservative focus.

---

OOC Notes
[1] Certainly better than the more interesting discovery of a nearly intact giant squid in the 1870s, which legend has it inspired the popular description of Captain Nemo’s enemy in Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea – and potentially served as an inspiration for H.P. Lovecraft’s creation of Cthulhu.
[2] In the case of Newfoundland, this is important. In OTL, because the FPU was overwhelmingly Protestant, it was distrusted by Catholics and was often accused of being linked with the Orange Order. In TTL, despite partially basing its organization along the lines of the existing denominational organizations for lack of alternate models (the Orange Order in the case of heavily Protestant areas and the Star of the Sea Association in the case of heavily Catholic areas) the FPU is extending the denominational compromise to bettering the lives of rural Newfoundlanders and Labradorians.
[3] This represents a fundamental departure from the original FPU in OTL. In OTL, William Coaker – one of the founders of the FPU – gave the FPU a more individualist self-improvement ethos. Because of the continuing Economic War in TTL, combined with an OTL banking crisis made worse in TTL which severely affected every facet of life in the outports, a more community-oriented focus is needed.
[4] This is a major departure from OTL, where William Coaker and the Union came first, followed by the trading operations – as far as I can tell, the FPU never really got involved in financial matters. In light of TTL conditions during the Economic War, however, the FPU has to create its own bank – or (if you prefer), in this case, its own credit union/building society hybrid. As can be seen, the FPU in TTL is a combination of the OTL FPU in Newfoundland and the later Antigonish Movement in Nova Scotia.
[5] This, of course, would lead in TTL to a different evolution of the French language in Newfoundland. In OTL, Acadian French co-existed with a nascent Newfoundland dialect that only really emerged in the 19th century as an offshoot of the dialect in St. Pierre and Miquelon, both of which largely evolved without any influence from a literary standard. Saint Pierre and Miquelon French, in turn, is similar to regional varieties spoken in the North and West of France, primarily found in Normandy and Brittany (and, to a lesser degree, the Basque Country), as well as intermediate varieties based on Standard French. In TTL, this hybrid of French, Québécois, Acadian, and local influences would make for an interesting mix that would be worth studying – particularly the Québécois influences, as before WWII the prestige dialect of Canadian French was based on the speech of Québec City.
[6] In OTL, the Union Party merged instead with the Liberal Party, creating the awkwardly named Liberal Reform Party (from whence I took part of the name for TTL’s new conservative party) under Richard Squires. Unfortunately, Squires was less than honest about his intentions, and the Liberal Reform Party was basically a corrupt patronage machine.

---

And here we are! :) The long-awaited next update to this TL, and one about an important part of Newfoundland history, given a twist for TTL purposes. Once again, a belated thank you to @Brainbin for keeping everything in working order.

This will, more or less, conclude the pre-Great War arc for this section. The next 2 updates - if and when they come - will deal with Newfoundland and the Great War. After that, I'll have to take a break in order to catch up with a few other projects I'm working on, as well as getting some updates written down. All I know is that up next will be the 1920s and 1930s, and this is when the butterflies will start doing their work, more so than the gradual limited development, paralleling OTL as much as possible, which I've been doing so far. So after the Great War, while there may be some similarities in some areas, in other areas I hope to plan on making things seem a little more different than OTL. And that's as much as I can say without spilling too many beans.

In conclusion, thanks for reading and for sticking by this TL for all this time. As always, constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Wonder how TTL's World War II will be affected by Newfoundland being in Great Britain...

Don't forget to mention in the 1920s-1930s updated the Grand Bank earthquake/tsunami...

Welcome back, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.