The Eugenic Wars (book)

Michael E Johnson said:
Wow Jon -I cant believe I forgot this but If you want a Star Trek book that touches on the Eugenics War and WW3-in a much better fashion than First Contact does in my opinion-then you have to read the novel Federation (if you havent already).
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...6/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-2802505-7876063

I've heard some good things about this one. Finally, something that goes over the Third World War, hopefully in some detail. I just picked up Star Trek Voyager: Homecoming, so after that, I'll order this one. Thanks for the info, Michael.

The new Enterprise episode, Demons was pretty good. The speech that Colonel Green gave was neat, although to be honest, I have no clue what he did in World War Three. The WW3 in First Contact said that 600 million died, and it took place circa 2053. However, the Colonel Green thing in one of TOS episodes said that 37 million died, and Green was behind it. Which one is canon?

Peter Weller's character in Demons said that the speech Green made was 3 years after WW3 ended. So that would be sometime around 2056. I'm surprised he wasn't killed by then.

The producers of Star Trek really need to fill in the gaps with some canon material regarding a lot of important events that are just briefly talked about.

I remembered something that Hoshi said in one Enterprise's episodes, I think in season two or three. It was that the other nations of the world were scared and very jealous that the Vulcan ship that landed on Earth in 2063 happend to land in the United States of America. I'm surprised that the American government didn't use this to their advantage and try to isolate the Vulcan technology from the other countries. The Earth was united yet, and old rivalries still existsed, I'm sure. The formation of the world government is still about 50 years away.

In my opinion, this leads to a lot of speculation. World War Three details are so vague almost anything could have happend. We know there was ECON, or the Eastern Coalition of Nations, and they fought the west, or at least the United States for sure. I would assume that ECON was dominated by China, or maybe even India, or something a little far-fetched, an Indian-Chinese alliance/single government.

It's obvious that the USA survived, and from a military stand point, won the war. According to canon Star Trek, the USA survives to at least 2079. What I want to know is, what was the damage to the globe. What was destroyed, which countries collapsed, how did the world change, who survived?, etc.
To me, it felt like World War Three wasn't so terrible, only becuase they never say what the hell happend. I know 600 million is a lot of dead, and is terrible, but it didn't feel like such a huge crisis, unlike a few other nuclear events in some other moves and TV shows.

Just my two cents. Random, I know.

Thande

Donor
Of course, the Grigari in Federation are radically different from the Grigari in the Milennium books (who seem to even scare the Borg :eek: ). The latter Grigari type also featured in a DS9 first person shooter, but I can't remember the name of it.

Raymann

Banned
You're thinking of 'The fallen' which is a third person shooter (the only one I've ever liked). The only 1st person trek shooters were the Elite Force games and a really old one called "Klingon Honor Guard", which was awsome for its time.

As for WWIII, here's how I see it, just from canon. It was an East vs. West war for the most part. Don't know the belligerents but its safe to assume the US was on one side and China the other. It was fought in 2053, 600 million died during the nuclear exchange. Looking at the state of the US in 'First Contact', I would assume there were no major offensive operations but Lily did say there was a ceasefire in place which assumes there is still a US government at least, however weak.

The international finational system collapsed and the official novelization of 'First Contact' (not canon but close) mentioned that Indonesia was the richest nation now (not that it was any richer, it just wasn't as bad off) and Cochrane was looking to make money from them, buy a tropical island with nude women. There were several subsquent conflicts over the world and in many places order compleaty broke down with kangaroo courts and mobs all thats left for justice and the such, remember the 1st episode of TNG 'Encounter at Farpoint'? Q had his little trial for humanity in the same setting.

Colonel Green, 'Danger' obviously makes him American; leads a campaign to bring order back to the world starting around 2056. One part of this is killing those affected by the radiation for two reasons; not to have them burden the rebuilding process and for future generations not to have to deal with the genetic defects. I can't imagine Green led a worldwide movement for this but he definatly got the idea in people heads and soon enough another 37 million people were dead. All of this could explain the inconstanties on how many people died during the war. Some counted just the war itself, others the entire 10 years afterward. So we have deaths ranging from 600 million to 800 million.

By the time 1st contact came, there probably was centralized government, at least in the US. It could have been very strong, we don't know. We do know that it didn't have much control over its people but that says little, in the West it could have reverted to the late 19th century like political situiation with a lot of atonomy for them, hell that may be the way they wanted it. The US has always been characterized as a weak state, strong nation.

New York and Washington were probably destroyed along with a few other cities, its never implied but I'd hate to see the situiation where San Francisco is the head of anything, much less Earth's military. And Paris as the capitol? France must have surrendered early on.

Does anyone know if the sequel to Homecoming (the first Voyager novel after the show ended) has come out yet? I can't seem to find it.