"The Emperor" Redux: The Empire of the Pacific

"THE EMPEROR"
Redux: The Empire of the Pacific

dIuM4qPLDKKIjNgizCdn_lxfAmc5O1v9T7BASLb9_uR6ajYFbfyrD4FriWIhupY1iklx29Y1giqoX5yP0fJlxSPqDt8gaWvx2s3K-E4EXbFZWDusQnJwYIlixBhXIRNGi6IF9T59

Hello everyone! This is a redux of my timeline, "The Empire of the Pacific", originally titled "The Emperor". We shall tell the story of Joshua Abraham Norton, self-declared Emperor of the U.S, and how that declaration grew into something else. I always wanted to flesh out this story for a while now and not just use bullet points, like my original timeline. Unlike my previous timeline, I have a general idea of what to do. This timeline is largely revamped to be more believable, although believable is the last thing you expect when seeing this timeline. One of the largest changes from the original timeline is no Confederate victory. I always thought that adding a Confederate victory cheated on the overall idea of this "Empire of the Pacific" and now I'll be getting rid of it. Even if I do not complete this timeline, as I did with the OG timeline, I do hope I can do justice on this wild idea I had.

1. The Steps To Majesty
1. The Steps To Majesty

17th of September, 1859. It was a normal day at the San Francisco Bulletin, as the beginnings of Autumn was in the air. The editor was in his office, working to spruce up something interesting. He leaned back. San Francisco was known for its interesting populace. Hell, the editor could write about a sacred order of his uncles-in-law and the readers would buy it. However, nobody had really gone there. To the point of being completely loony. Then, the door of his office swung open, and a man, in strange garment, would boom a voice of grandeur, demanding my services to publish his proclamation, which he held in his hands. One of the writers explained that he tried to stop him, but the editor ushered his friend away and asked the strange man to see his proclamation. Instead, the man went on to read his proclamation, as he filled his voice with compassion and presented himself in a royal manner.

"At the peremptory request of a large majority of the citizens of these United States, I, Joshua Norton, formerly of Algoa Bay, Cape of Good Hope, and now for the past nine years and ten months of San Francisco, California, declare and proclaim myself Emperor of these United States..." - Proclamation on San Francisco Daily Evening Bulletin, Emperor Norton I

Q58fppZeyvuHv5tpjh54QyF__Nx9iG2i1L26BTyJ1WVIAYeqAB0xlKLyowWysaPTjADsIwo80Efsv0ioFKsSmcE0Gh3zTR2-juFSi05lvYnGKXvQOymqfUor0mj1iL_U79RG5G5Q

Photograph of Joshua A. Norton, “Emperor of the United States”

This proclamation thrown out to the public was to be a one-off laugh to the public, but it would define a new character for Joshua Norton. Before he was Emperor of the U.S, Joshua Norton was an eccentric, wealthy businessman originally raised in South Africa, later moving to San Francisco. He began his career selling mining supplies during the California Gold Rush and later gained his wealth in real estate. However, bad investing and a flopped court case would bring the high living of Mr. Norton down to nothing, filing for bankruptcy and disappearing for some time.

With this new Joshua Norton, "Emperor of the United States", he was the talk of the city. Emperor Norton would often go around strolling, inspecting the sidewalks and cable cars to see their condition, even making sure policemen made their needed patrols to keep San Francisco safe. He would gather people in small crowds and discuss things like the state of American politics. Emperor Norton often discredited American elections, calling the title of President "an item to be auctioned". Although having personal beliefs, the imperial decrees he declared, which told to remove the current officials of the U.S government early on, would strengthen the character that was Emperor Norton I. Emperor Norton became so popular that young men often joined in on his strolls to talk to him, leading to newspapers justifying this patterning occurrence by calling them the "Royal Guard".

And so, the idea of the Royal Guard was born. Emperor Norton made an imperial decree to ask for volunteers for the Royal Guard. At first, these were just young boys, looking up to this charismatic character, to look out for trouble on the streets, but it soon grew into something more. It became apparent that Norton's Royal Guard became useful in spotting possible criminal activity and tipping Police of dangerous situations. Young men soon began bringing their pa's rifle or newly-bought revolvers to protect themselves, but that caused issues with the local police. To keep his Royal Guard out of police issues, Emperor Norton would make most of them up into a militia, or at the very least claim, they were a militia. Emperor Norton looked to work with the police, as well as better organize the Royal Guard. This sort of serious action taken to make the Royal Guard an integrated part of helping the police led to even grown men to join in part-time. Businesses, who loved using Norton as advertising, would even help fund for equipment like bikes and coats.

HFc-8wO_JgYun4qIz5IU9A-Veb4rJiUb0240kI7U-ShW1vJjgdrwzplTnTZ7ERemccojESWYffNfDPkFa-0bA-1P1KO-mVmg-WVeNrP1s4sJoJMVCVm5Cg9m4cfeC-zuLheQkewi

Norton's Royal Guard soon began dressing in similar attire to Emperor Norton

kRmHcOIGLupPbk4c0RfMfmAegyGi-vRtkG3Ay5CY5TL73xp2kosxj4frUDT4M7KnrUUs5HNfJYDuQqJzamZnDqfLBOn4I2plnC_et8kRUfgUvTqMkW52JtoEvEGKf0bYhcchQ8zy

The Three Bummers, By Edward Jump

However, another person was trying to take the thunder away from Emperor Norton. Spoiler, they were actually two of them. Spoiler again, they were stray dogs. Bummer and Lazarus were two stray dogs that became known for their skill in rat-killing, once killing 85 rats in 20 minutes. However, they gained their fame on how they met. Bummer had saved Lazarus from another dog. Lazarus was deeply injured in the leg, not expected to survive, but Bummer did not give up, urging his new friend to eat the scraps he brought him. Lazarus recovered within days, and the two dogs became a rat-killing pair. The two would sometimes accompany Emperor Norton in his walks, which had newspapers presume he adopted them. Although he debunked that statement, it was obvious that Norton had empathy for the pair, even calling them his "war hounds" from time to time. The trio that was Norton, Bummer, & Lazarus became a staple story for anyone visiting the Golden City.

jnKwYVDfbAOIz-HFfa7Jdgc8ZdtnfiKE2WzjbggcHJb51tP03IKdgheX-ns3hvJ4ndUWk1ua_08sMEV57mMCuoVpeXaMn6B6RdENEVQsNRpAjIzqnS9A_AVpz5hGisAsksVC__LX

George Washington Coombs on a Newspaper article

IBAxrymP5Wb75MC6mbK5KNYxd_Hwtqy8rvKyYqOgzw6uMqiqweXcapDXTOjClPCEe72Xrw3xeA0i4xnNC-r-UNJ5brCBmJvg0EvjuI4oDp_MdfBcaLQ-z5IOt135gFxS8Xa_91z_

Ambling along Montgomery Street, by Edward Jump

However, dogs would not be the only celebrities in San Francisco. It seemed the popularity of Emperor Norton drew in a few other eccentrics, but none more that could match being as preposterous as Emperor Norton, then George Washington. In reality, a man named Frederick Coombs, he was born in New York, being an accomplished photographer working in the West Coast. The story went that his friends said he looked like George Washington so much that he convinced himself he was, believing he returned from the grave. He soon found himself in San Francisco, and met the character that was Emperor Norton. Although not having that connection with Bummer and Lazarus that Norton had, which made him more popular, he still was a well-known San Francisco eccentric.

He soon declared Emperor Norton his rival, working on his Campaign in the American Revolutionary War, and also having proclamations. Some of Norton's Royal Guard had torn some posters Washington put up, but the police did nothing, saying nothing done was illegal. George Washington Coombs would tell a newspaper that Norton was "jealous of my reputation with the fairer sex" [1]. The newspaper dismissed George Washington Coombs, actually going against him, calling George Washington Coombs, an attention-seeker. However, Norton discredited the article, and made the boys responsible write a formal apology to George Washington Coombs. Ashamed of his actions against Norton, he wrote a formal apology to Norton, and on one day at Montgomery Street, George Washington Coombs would talk to Emperor Norton while on his daily stroll. George Washington Coombs would get involved with the Royal Guard to an extent, even giving them their motto: "And Still They Are Marching On".

9vEGxXJ4K3-xduaN9QdxH4g04GP5hGJXjgqCPIBF2jrO5dLPuOV6YS-O0IsP0eO-1doy_7RXVOpdaEFxSR-FFWoewevPoUHBUDLYtBQ6bawFxQ6jZukbyST3Adk7u8Lq8y0B4KpB

Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the U.S

After the Election of 1860, Abraham Lincoln was elected President, and soon after, Norton made a public statement congratulating Abraham Lincoln in being elected "leader of the government-in-exile". While some celebrated the first Republican being elected President, many sensed tension in the air. Then, South Carolina seceded, as well as other states, and on the 4th of February, 1861, these states would form into the Confederate States of America. However, way before the unification of the south, Norton urged military action before any real threat would emerge, rather than any political action taken, but nothing would be done immediately. Abraham Lincoln would be sworn in as President on the 4th of March, and soon, a conflict began at the Battle of Fort Sumter. The American Civil War had begun.

----------
[1] This feud did occur later on in OTL but was not sparked by Royal Guard’s tearing posters, but Norton doing it himself. In OTL, the newspaper disregarded both men, calling them insane. However, this timeline shows a much earlier conflict, which would have Norton not have much bad blood with Coombs, and so the two have forgiven one another and became allies. In OTL, Norton had Coombs practically ran out of the city.

2. Conflict With Confederates
2. Conflict With Confederates

"It is our duty to God and humanity to bring mankind into the modern, civilized age, and be rid of slavery. However, southern states have decided to go against modernization. They claim mastery over man, where only God is to do so. With that, I, Joshua Norton, Emperor of these United States, declare a state of war against the self-declared Confederate States of America." - Emperor Norton's declaration of war during the beginning of the American Civil War

lhwK56lY7HBhqhTCsGraN9CS7t6vLq6mD1KUq_hvLGRslZ48hUqyUB1WvrmO2IEy5i1-AIt3IcGEo47bMuMSBTCFaXLOgiBVlOWYccqpY1R8wtEh0BY-usGlltI-tVyfAZZxQhbu

Photograph of the Royal Guard

With the American Civil War kicking off, Emperor Norton made it clear to the people of San Francisco that he would be involved. Many thought little of it, but when Norton voiced his plans to send the Royal Guard south to join the fighting, people thought he lost it, which for Norton, didn't mean much. However, people still voiced their concerns, and Norton was open about what the people wanted. So Norton, with help from locals, would begin the transformation of the Royal Guard. Many of the members already planned for volunteering, but there were a few swapping the younger ones that were a part of the Royal Guard. From there, businesses helped fund for some needed equipment, and households donated their cooking supplies to have the Royal Guard be ready for any trekking that was to be done. With the help of San Francisco, Norton made his city scouts into a readied militia, and much of the discipline, training, and organization issues were better dealt with when the Civil War began. However, they did not march, as soon came Major William Scott Ketchum.

zmDUbWK6t_VDK35BJHUbdjQ0KqPRzUXQitigr4kVIjshtDeI-VGd3WAmZlyICT7LWPSOYuyZIzCOlTL_sKyy-FR3FQ6k9wWLT9H0-FLOsrLJibrNFVGjglopPXsB6Ymk8if93LYt

Major William Scott Ketchum

The Major commanded Fort Dalles in Oregon, protecting the settlers from Native American raiders. However, when the Civil War began, he was ordered to San Francisco to oversee. Although William saw the surprising organization of the Royal Guard, he urged Emperor Norton to stay at San Francisco, until further notice, and out of respect, Emperor Norton did as he was told. He did not want to be responsible for a massacre, so he stayed, and the Royal Guard helped garrison the city, which was the only city that had a garrison other than San Diego. Major Ketchum would polish the Royal Guard's rough spots.

The police and Emperor Norton were no military academy graduates, but Ketchum was. Accompanying Union officers called the Royal Guard "Ketchum's passion project", as San Francisco was beginning a process of fortification from any Confederate navy seeking to seize the gold and silver shipping point. Emperor Norton would take any advice from Ketchum, even having Ketchum invited to one of his public talks, and from these interactions, Norton learned the basics. Nothing amazing, but enough to keep his men together. The two men began to become friends, and all seemed to be quiet for the Royal Guard.

With San Francisco properly fortified, Ketchum saw the use of the Royal Guard better elsewhere. However, none of the men were properly volunteers of the Union. Although some wished to remain under Emperor Norton's command, Norton believed it was best to have the Royal Guard integrated into the Union army as volunteers. And so, the Royal Guard was formally recognized as the 1st San Francisco Volunteer Regiment. With respect for Norton, while his colleagues saw him as a nut job, Emperor Norton was allowed to accompany the 1st San Francisco Regiment, with main military command falling under a few selected officers to guide the unit to Los Angeles on July, where Confederate influence was becoming an issue for Union troops at the West. However, these officers would prove indecisive and it would, in fact, be Norton, who would do most of the commanding, as the officers took on a secondary command role. In San Francisco, a small number of Royal Guard remained to patrol the city, being captained by George Washington Coombs. However, this would not be the last time they would see Major William S. Ketchum, as when August came, Ketchum arrived at Los Angeles, being recently assigned the supervision of the counties: Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara, & San Bernardino.

However, Confederate influence within San Bernardino was strong, and when the 1st San Francisco Volunteer Regiment appeared quite near to the city, Confederate sympathizers believed the city was going to be subjugated and any Confederates weeded out of the city [1]. Lies and fear-mongering would largely have the city fear for their safety. Without giving a second thought, Confederate sympathizers within San Bernardino would make the first move, assassinating a Union officer, Clarence Edmund Bennett, Captain of the San Bernardino Rangers, a local militia force originally meant to deal with banditry. The San Bernardino Rangers had lost most of their members, with those defecting to join the Confederates, so when their leadership was gone, it was either flee or die. They chose the latter, retreating to Los Angeles, and the Confederate sympathizers of San Bernardino would seize control within the city. An issue would occur if the Confederates were to actually support the city with troops and supply, but Major Ketchum would see to that not occurring.

175px-Flagraise.gif

San Bernardino rebels raising the Confederate flag before the battle

iAHmEd9V0YvgeS9TM_7Bxr9mXVuOfMvVeL41DvQZPI9mLgdYvELXTD3Vx4ntMHS0RtZ3BW8KXPRl-_plMG5rpJswB2dWZE9pNFEwRiwaX3L-seuj27HIvVpomcTApDmUun8TjRin

Battle of San Bernardino

Major William Scott Ketchum, accompanied by Emperor Norton, would lead the 1st San Francisco Volunteer Regiment, although still calling themselves the "Royal Guard", and the San Bernardino Rangers, being fortified by Companies D & G of the 4th Infantry Regiment. They would rapidly march to San Bernardino, and the Battle of San Bernardino would begin when Confederate snipers would claim their first victims. The men rushed within the city, and with that, the unorganized Confederates knew they couldn't beat the Union on an even playing field, so they resorted to close-quarters, building-to-building shooting, but the Union organization stayed intact, as the Royal Guard kept pushing and pushing.

However, as each block they took, men would have to clear the firing nests of the Confederate rebels, being quite dangerous to pull off, but they were cleared. The San Bernardino rebels would lower their arms after some minutes of fighting. The Battle of San Bernardino was a victory, with small casualties. Later on, the forces of Major Ketchum would defeat more Confederate sympathizers at the Slaughter of Belleville, which was a gold-mining boomtown northeast of San Bernardino, who had followed the example made by San Bernardino and rose up as well. After Belleville, which saw a nearly complete decimation of Confederate rebels, no place dared to raise a weapon against the Union at the West.

----------
[1] San Bernardino was peacefully pacified in OTL, not feeling entirely provoked to openly revolt.

3. War, Blood, & Shoes
3. War, Blood, & Shoes

"I loved being with my sons-in-arms, as I saw and felt their victories and hardships, but hell, the sand kept getting in my shoes!" - 'An Emperor & His Men' by Emperor Norton

O3ZmHiIAb2TYF_ghEHTqHS4t4U1TUF7YhlwPyG01amvUO65SX3GJkFkzil4s-OaZqKpjIesycAuaA165Ko7qDiEYWRl7cSnSqaXaXJem1DDhpb5syzRc5H9C28Sqe8ksrp5PHlMh

Brigadier General James H. Carleton, commander of the California Column

After the battles that the 1st San Francisco Regiment fought, they garrisoned southern California, assuring no California uprising. With men losing morale, Emperor Norton assured that he was here with them through thick and thin. He provided the rations to his troops, said to have run up the tents holding dry bread. In addition, his great speeches of his majesty and grandeur, talking of the evil of slavery, even captivated the non-San Franciscans. All was dull for a few months. The Royal Guard was to join the California Column, a force of California volunteers to be sent to the New Mexico territory. They would begin their march on the 13th of April, many days after the victorious Battle of Glorieta Pass. They were to be the main part of the vanguard, with Captain William P. Calloway leading it and Emperor Norton accompanying. However, they would meet a confederate force. A mighty number of eleven men.

The "Battle" of Stanwix Station would be a short conflict, with the Confederates fleeing. However, the San Francisco Regiment would have a few men give pursuit, an order that had been urged by Norton and the men and was quickly agreed to, eventually killing five, injuring three, and capturing three of the Confederates. The four prisoners of war, with two injured men eventually dying from infections, would give some information on Confederate Arizona. From that interaction, their march would continue all the way to Tucson, the territorial capital of Confederate Arizona. Captain Sherod Hunter, the Confederate officer holding Tucson, was caught off-guard from the massed Union force that seemed to have suddenly appeared marching towards them. He had 54 men, but instead of turn himself in to meet the Union forces or attempt retreat to meet the Apache warriors, he would make Tucson a fortress. Temporary barricades, small trench positions, foxholes, even sniping positions littered Tucson to give the men a chance.

Confederate scouts had already spotted the Union troops hours before any real contact, with a raid done to the camps to ensure some sort of resistance, even with men like Captain Calloway killed in his tent. However, James Henry Carleton remained calm, or as calm as he could be. George W. Bowie, a Colonel under the command of Carleton, would lead a majority of the 5th California Regiment to demand Tucson to surrender. However, when he arrived, he was instantly met with gunfire. On the 20th of May, the Siege of Tucson would begin. The Confederates hid in their defenses, while the Union troops stood like sitting ducks, firing upon a hard-to-hit enemy while trying to march in. Cavalry was soon spotted flanking the regiment, and Bowie would quickly ready his men for the presumed cavalry flank. However, as the Union men against Tucson were dropping every moment, a soldier made the discovery that their horses were released to disorient the Union and presume it was a flanking force of cavalry. Bowie would pull back from casualties, with nearly thirty men killed on the Union side and no recorded casualties on the Confederate side.

This failure enraged Carleton, and to ensure no humiliation of the Union, Carleton would ready his entire force to Tucson on the next day. Carleton ordered Hunter to surrender. When he refused, he surrounded Tucson with his men, and led a charge within Tucson, knowing that steel in numbers would be the winning factor, not gunpowder. Although casualties were sustained, including the Royal Guard, men would storm the defensive positions within the town. The Confederates would eventually surrender, including Sherod Hunter, all becoming prisoners of war. The Siege of Tucson was done. However, the war was not done for the Royal Guard yet. Carleton planned to pass through Apache Pass to lead his men towards eastern Confederate Arizona. He sent a vanguard led by Captain Thomas L. Roberts with Company E of the 1st Infantry, a 22-man cavalry escort headed by Captain John C. Cremony, and the proven San Francisco Regiment accompanied by Emperor Norton.

4djzt0mPm4hUWoL0CEPQXKAPNd6lEKNYFN0LENUqQOfjUpiLivIEmhJlAb2Jg5hrtnGlzBmvrWLeeu1C2buyNWBz2u5Vq3ExS-7X1qay1GJkk_GWeFmnpSFJq4crvJKpc5bS0UWD

Apache Pass

They would approach the pass, but their stop to the nearby spring, but would be met by Apache warriors led by Mangas Caloradas, an Apache chief, and presumably the legendary Cochise. The Apache had around 200 more men that the Union troops had. A journey back to Tucson would lead to a loss of men, so Roberts decided to fight instead. However, the Apache had already built up defenses and even ambushed the Union troops behind local flora. Thomas L. Roberts had to think quick if his men were to survive. The infantry quickly took the hills above the pass, as Roberts ordered a small unit of howitzers that came with the vanguard into position.

With the Union troops firing above the Apaches, their defenses were way less effective. When the fire ending, as nightfall came, the Apaches began retreating in the darkness, when suddenly, Union troops fired volleys down the hills, a few yards away from the Apache warriors, and soon the Native American numbers just helped the Union hit their mark [1]. Emperor Norton had brought some of his militiamen down the hill to wait for an attempted retreat in the dark, and that move paid off, as the Apaches scrambled away from the fire. When morning came, the Apache casualties counted 142, including the chief Mangas Coloradas, who died from a shot to the head. The Battle of Apache Pass would be a Union victory.

This would be where the Royal Guard's story would end during the Civil War. With the multiple casualties made during battle, many militiamen either had to be absorbed by other militias or be disbanded. Most chose to disband, and the men would be given an escort back to San Francisco by a unit led by Colonel John Chivington, who had commanded during the Battle of Glorieta Pass. Emperor Norton and Chivington would quickly become friends, as they talked often on their way back to San Francisco. Chivington revealed about the issues he had been going through, including him being supposedly cruel to Confederate prisoners, the bitter retirement of being a Methodist pastor, and his suspension from the Freemasons, Chivington was facing issue after issue, and Emperor Norton stated that Chivington could "come to San Francisco anytime".

Bns6YWe2B78NPFHPIBsjYNKkvC9_CpbdUCM4Ln7F3-eDcZTxVjDVcIPh9Oq4RB2aZzG7qQqD_A33mlY15ui5p8EtAqMY4JXG16JzJpsW9zCW2vs8FSV7rDcEAObrDOUt5AgB6aEj

"Charge of the Emperor"

When Norton and the volunteers of the Royal Guard returned, they were hailed as heroes. The Mayor of San Francisco, Henry F. Teschemacher, even organized a small parade for the valiance of the Royal Guard on Montgomery Street, calling it the "Norton Parade". The press ate this story up for nearly a week, as they talked about the heroism of Emperor Norton to make buck, even saying how he led a cavalry charge, which inspired the painting, "Charge of the Emperor". At that point, the rumors even seemed into other cities, telling about the story of the Emperor who had commanded during the Civil War. When the year 1863 came around the corner, Emperor Norton published a memoir about his experience during the Civil War titled, "An Emperor & His Men", having an iconic quote of Emperor Norton talking about sand getting in his shoes. The book was bought in huge numbers by the San Franciscan masses, as well as other cities situated in northern California. Overall literature of Emperor Norton blew up. Emperor Norton became a celebrity of not just San Francisco, but much of California.

----------
[1] The Apache forces slipped at the cover of darkness in OTL, during the Battle of Apache Pass.

4. A War Made By Ink & Blood
4. A War Made By Ink & Blood

“So as the war was being tucked away, the Emperor was already back out there, beating down the scum of California.” - Frederick Low, Governor of California, talking about the actions of Emperor Norton after the war.

During 1863, Emperor Norton was growing his popularity in northern California. He visited many major cities in northern California, building popularity. Norton met up with many local politicians and supported them through investments he earned through his commercial payments given to him by businesses. He even began funds for Civil War troops relieved of duty but struggling in life. However, he wasn't entirely loved in the cities, as some people still saw him as insane, and even San Jose mayor, John A. Quinby, did not allow Emperor Norton to officially make a visit to the city, until nearly a year later.

iy6Da_KdcN5bjFlOfEutLYwgxPyyqIN5bq2CmznV8tT1wTVvuBNnTM3TA4K-qodm61327RF6ARl4LWhDdq9_wHKy989QEevyYhKPVQ88VK9bzFOYRVN9Qp4Fa3sUbEZSVJLVZCyl

Funeral of Lazarus, By Edward Jump

However, there was also some sad news in San Francisco. Lazarus, in the dog duo of Bummer and Lazarus, had died, presumably due to being kicked by a horse of San Francisco’s fire engines. Many people mourned Lazarus’s death, including Bummer. A funeral took place for the hound, being buried amongst great men of San Francisco [1]. However, Bummer was still lamenting the death of his companion. Emperor Norton then decided to take care of the mourning dog, and from that day forward, Bummer became Norton’s “Royal Hound”.

SH_s4nvLx_Xsb4sMJ2jSuC51Gd9zejrQParrC9vni-4Ird9FlpJGIWfJEmfYiJOaYMujW92HBI0YdHKTltR1-Xx1YRKNGQqkRKc9rnP6JkY-OmkXOEyp_Gaiauv10gZ4w-dR4q_q

Firefighters at the burning San Francisco Bulletin building

Even with all that, no blood had been spilled over those who saw Norton as a war hero and those who saw him as a lunatic. That statement would soon be proved wrong. In 1864, Emperor Norton soon tried to branch out his character in southern California, as he tried to instate relief funds as he did in the north. In the city of Los Angeles, newspapers called him the "Emperor of Insanity & Madness". San Francisco newspapers were quick to fire back, calling the newspapers bashing Norton, "lesser ink boys", as well as call out the Los Angeles Star, who was most vocal, calling them a "confederate mistress-paper", putting out there that their founder was pro-slavery. Then, the San Francisco Bulletin building had caught fire. Although no major damage was done, tons of equipment needed to be replaced, and papers ready to be published, were now ash and set back the newspaper. They claim the L.A. Star was involved, with them denying the allegation. A fortnight later, an L.A. writer would be found in an alleyway dead. This was the beginning of something, a war at opposite ends of a golden state. Locals coined the conflict the "War of Ink & Blood".

The L.A. Star pinned the blame on the San Francisco Bulletin, but they denied any wrongdoing. Los Angeles police arrested a few suspects, but nobody clearing pointing the finger to anyone in San Francisco. However, the L.A. Star still thought it to be the work of the San Francisco Bulletin, claiming the crooks were paid by the newspaper. With the law not joining their side, some who worked at the Los Angeles Star tipped off sympathetic crooks against San Francisco, in hopes to destroy the powerbase of the San Francisco newspapers. It was not just the L.A Star. Many Los Angeles newspapers saw the newspapers in San Francisco as obsessed with strange characters, such as Emperor Norton. When word got out that an L.A. writer was killed, many thought that San Francisco was to blame. So the crimes began.

thguvKBi0KzmL9yNXgITK-zcZTp_6HyBFp0HOLMd66TFaCEV8uGm1bomqS3oBtrsO39ZiKJ78fyyDewqx4edHglsegwZMQukFeMAEDI2Sk83xrpIMNwRK9fLDazBtb5vGi1U_j_f

Photograph of presumed San Francisco Redcoats

They started off small, muggings and a few killings not specifically directed to the Bulletin, but many were working in newspapers in San Francisco. However, the San Francisco police thought it wasn't the newspapers in Los Angeles doing the work, and even Emperor Norton believed that the crimes were just committed by common criminals. However, like some of the writers of Los Angeles, they fixed their problems on their own. The writers at San Francisco would hire small local gangs, eventually unifying into a secretly-sponsored gang known as the San Francisco Gang. This inclined the Los Angeles ruffians to organize themselves as the Black Star Mob. War across the Golden State would begin, the most famous being when San Francisco crooks broke into a writer of the Los Angeles Star's home, killing him, as well as his wife. The men were dressed up in wonky-fitted, fancy clothes, and the incident would nickname the San Francisco Gang as the San Francisco Redcoats, which would be a name they would adopt.

Major crimes reported connected to the “War of Ink & Blood” (in order):
- Shootout at the Catalina Verdugo Adobe (modern-day Glendale), 11 casualties
- Attempted arson of the Bell Block (Los Angeles), 4 arrested
- San Francisco reporter found dead near the Golden Gate (San Francisco), 1 dead
- Home murder of L.A. Star writer and wife (Los Angeles), 2 dead
- Several executed thugs in a warehouse (Sacramento), 3 dead
- Shootout in Montgomery Street (San Francisco), 9 casualties, 6 arrested

Even when the newspapers pulled out of the crimes, due to allegations of involvement, the gangs still continued. The issue got so bad that the Governor of California, Leland Stanford would be involved at crushing the gang activity. However, no Union troops would be available for the issues at home, so the Royal Guard would make a comeback. Emperor Norton would be at the forefront of crushing criminal activity. The Royal Guard would be roaming across the entire State of California, hunting down Redcoat and Mob hideouts. This would prove effective in crushing crime, even taking down unrelated gangs while seeking the complete their task. As the year of 1864 ended, the Redcoats and Mob were a shell of their former selves, later dying out.

46M9mCMr4t4KzFVVcgkRnFESP_1xdVM3udUrSgaADdYD-5KMR1PwJk8VS7KRvpF-d_2mF3s3E45evE__W8cCTryXixBjYwn6GjjEdADLh2NAmWnFtT52HFs0oFgwm8YMwLz2BJu-

Henry Perrin Coon, Mayor of San Francisco

This would leave people who thought Norton as insane, as the minority opinion. With Norton helping to end crime within California as the Civil War was finishing up, Leland would personally meet with Emperor Norton at Sacramento, and after their exchange, both parties wrote letters to each other, discussing mostly the Civil War and what was to come after it. Emperor Norton became a state phenomenon, and after his work was done ending crime, Emperor Norton announced his candidacy for the Mayor of San Francisco. Emperor Norton tried to appease both local tycoons and commoners, balancing his pro-business and pro-worker policies. Many stores helped fund Norton's campaign, seeing an economic benefit to them if he won. Norton would be running against current mayor, Henry P. Coon, who was one of the few that hated Norton and saw him in the way of his power. However, when he called Norton the "Mad Emperor" in a speech, it backfired and he had to be escorted out of the public, as they threw sticks and stones at him. Norton would be assured victory when Leland Stanford voiced his support for the Emperor of the U.S, and as the year 1865 came to be, Emperor Norton was elected the 12th Mayor of San Francisco.

Emperor Norton would do quick work. He began to ease up on San Francisco businesses, but Norton would ensure rights to the worker. He would meet the founder of the Bank of California, William C. Ralston, after proposing Montgomery Street to be extended to the South of Market area. Norton would agree to this plan, and Montgomery Street would begin construction for an extension [2]. Norton would make plans to build a bridge from San Francisco to Oakland, wishing to call it the Norton Bridge, but those plans would soon be put in hold [3]. When the Civil War would finally end, a large influx of veterans headed west looking for work, largely at the Transcontinental Railroad. Norton believed that the veterans of the war should be given fair wages, with that idea eventually extending to all of the workers at the railroad. However, these proposals were largely ignored, including Leland Stanford, who was involved working on the railroad, much to Norton's dismay.

D8gY3xgIwj4zlxc6K7vGxV3O536NADoKRCOidJAOH2TvDtpUwvH9XZEXlJHNperV26_zVB_bdeoWDFnSRTXRocCKafNR3JUPcmzwBke1krIpuhElNPUKmzAi4UVYsJUYUXb7AwBl

Frederick Low, Governor of California

However, Norton power didn't just extent within San Francisco. The new Governor of California, Frederick Low, was an associate with Norton at San Francisco and that influence allowed Norton to begin some ideas that he brewed to the entirety of California. One of the more effective plans was to end banditry and overall crime within the State of California. Many saw the effectiveness of a force other than the police stopping crime. Not just some bounty hunters, but actual volunteers fighting crime. Low would bring to effect this plan, and many men signed up to help make the Golden State a little safer.

During Low's governorship that the idea, being called “state-supported militia” by supporters, was in effect, much crime was being stamped out and most criminals found it easier to move east for their endeavors. This also gave a small salary to those who wished to participate and additional reward for effectiveness. As the years would go on, many men would turn out to be Civil War veterans after the Civil War. Emperor Norton's opinion of the Civil War was overall positive, but he did believe that Reconstruction was an ineffective system in the Civil War's aftermath. Emperor Norton joined to ranks of the Civil War's strange stories.

----------
[1] Lazarus would actually be stuffed by some saloon owner, IOTL, to be displayed in his saloon.
[2] Under the second mayoral term of Coon in OTL, the proposition by Newton Booth was rejected.
[3] IOTL, Norton did have an idea to make a bridge from San Francisco to Oakland, a plaque of Norton is at the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge for having the idea originally.

Let me guess: it involves the Peshawar Lancers PoD…

In all seriousness, though, good TL so far and waiting for more...

5. The Savior of San Francisco
5. The Savior of San Francisco

"Men were befallen by the might of God at San Francisco, and one man would raise them up again." - John Chivington on Norton's work during the Great San Francisco Earthquake

cxw8zNQoi048lV2v2yj7WoFBoll2u0RIUShnpKJk61lBEJ14yoIu5VLm_WKSuqEpVLQ2lPZVPCrO66laSOCSaFNsj8L0o66T8d1UIYMpcF0ASAyDeDUK-XwhDNOxCtX-x85eNEoK

Louis Norton, deceased older brother of Emperor Norton

Then the persona of Norton, Emperor of the United States, evolved when a few new characters entered the scene at San Francisco. Being the Mayor of San Francisco, Norton was planning on a new Norton relocation [1]. Norton was actually a second-son, with his older brother, Louis Norton, dying the same year his mother left her mortal coil. Joshua never really had the wealth to relocate his literally distant family to meet with him in San Francisco, but now that same man was mayor of a major city. So during the year 1865, Emperor Norton had much of his family move to San Francisco, being mostly nephews and some of his brothers. Soon, the "Norton Family" boosted the popularity of Emperor Norton and showed all of his family members how successful he had become. Emperor Norton eventually had his family move into a small estate that he had purchased.

Norton sat comfy at his mayoral seat and was surprised to see John Chivington at San Francisco. After being the perpetrator of the Sand Creek Massacre, which killed multiple Cheyenne and Arapaho. He would flee to San Francisco after being hated by many, hoping that Norton would welcome him. Surprisingly, Emperor Norton did, although with some dismay by locals. Chivington stated that his stress got the better of him, and due to that, people were dead. It seemed that Chivington was looking for redemption. It was said by locals that Chivington would be heard by all, giving prayers and asking for forgiveness in the middle of the night. However, it was likely a fake tale made by Norton-supporters to try to redeem Chivington. Social pressure probably forced him into obscurity, and here he found himself in San Francisco.

wtqw6ZDL_8poqY_AD7tvnrVSRT3vIDc0FykMbICV92KDYYnz8R-o5PTGXJGc5nZ0j8DebFoFJw6A0s-ZM_ZPf2r0JA7ob4EoF6Fa0oWu0lUgiVXziLx2Urla37_QIiLflqzaTsqj

John Chivington, founder of God’s Church

As the months passed, Chivington integrated with the city and maintained his relationship with Emperor Norton. He would even open up his own church with Norton's help, God's Church, in San Francisco. Teaching largely Methodist beliefs, the church soon gained traction from Emperor Norton's support, often found amongst the listeners of Chivington's audience. Although he was no longer an official pastor, this didn’t stop him from performing sermons to his listeners. Norton once said that “If any man seeks to defile the reputation of a man of God, be it that the Holy Land shake with vigor below him in chaos.” In the most unpredicted moments of coincidences, the ground would begin to shake during the 8th of October, 1865 at no other places but the city of San Francisco. This coincidence led to many superstitions of Norton's words, and even believe that it was divine prediction. This was further speculated as the iconic Montgomery Street suffered no damage. Although, Norton would not confirm those words were of that intention.

Emperor Norton did quick work to help the city that put him up a pedestal. He contacted the Governor of California to help send relief funds, and he went across the Golden State fundraising, while also organizing reconstruction efforts. It was even said Norton extorted some wealthy businesses using his connections to pump out some funds. Either way, Emperor Norton would do his best to have San Francisco recover, and recover it did. By 1866, the city's damages were all gone. At this point, Norton was called the "model servant of God" by Chivington and his church, which gained more and more support as Chivington adopted bombastic rhetoric in his sermons and organized connectivity with the San Francisco community, although some would consider it "cult-like".

Ei8CDIqS461_jVV3zNyrDxHk0frGK-NFuzCtkfh5y1ZMjg8XH-mWXNKJhkOFSE4v4NO6aX4qKKru_xUfr4VrZk6pLT-cemGVFmpiZKpoZDzluBztu9IrbX2ch5eDRF_1xUEiszXw

God's Church, San Francisco

Emperor Norton would continue to be a Golden State favorite, and John Chivington would find success in starting construction of a new church in Oakland. However, there were still some who despised Norton, continuing to call him a lunatic. This hatred would boil over when Emperor Norton announced he would run for Governor of California. If there was a single city that could be said that hated Norton, it would be San Jose. John A. Quinby, Mayor of San Jose, very much disliked Norton, and he even supported Henry H. Haight, a Democrat who was against Lincoln. However, Norton would just have too many advantages. Much of California saw him as a war hero and the previous Governor, Frederick Low, would give his full support to Norton. Those who were against Norton had already gained a bad rap. He ran as a Republican, the dominant party in the US, as he found support outside of California as well, being more popular than their other candidates for Governorship, although he did not agree with the principals of the Radical Republicans, leaning more on the moderate side. Either way, Norton was assured to be Governor, however, that possibility split into violence.

oQD63CoXk91wfE-IZYrPf2cgheZMNlEwYsZnu-3ZMxfZRXLIEC1X31cD0Rg_gSAWD1CoAgsqv2--2ONGkLEnL4WFKGtSSoLCh-fN5aejJQ34u-wz1XUFpnCXFyF0hsioDYHDGNDu

The Haight Estate Burning, Alameda

On the 2nd of December 1867, Emperor Norton was arrested by a San Jose officer, Armond Barbier, who formally did his work at San Francisco, but transferred to San Jose. Much of California saw this as a crime, while others saw this as justified. Either way, Frederick Low saw this as undemocratic. Henry Haight attempted to brush it off as Norton used bribery and corruption to win the election, but that just rubbed off as the other candidate being associated with the arrest, and on the day Norton would've assumed the role as Governor, the people of Alameda went to Haight's estate with pitchforks and torches, burning the building, with Haight in it, unable to escape. A day after the Haight Estate Burning, Norton's Royal Guard led by Frederick Coombs, and a mob of San Franciscans marched to San Jose, with intentions to free Norton.

Quinby had no intentions to back down and called for some policemen and militias to defend San Jose. The two sides began off as non-threatening, but as things got more violent, like when rocks were beginning to be thrown and rioters armed themselves with large sticks and shanks, a shot was fired. In moments, bullets followed like dominoes, and death would occur. Soon, Frederick Low called up some Federal troops and sent them to San Jose to bring order. The San Jose Massacre would be what it would be called, as 16 deaths would have occurred from the fighting, mostly from the San Franciscans. Quinby would be forced to relinquish his mayorship of San Jose or face trial for arresting a political candidate. When Norton would be able to finally take his spot as Governor of California, he pardoned the perpetrators of the Haight Estate Burning.

Emperor Norton would then pressure the San Jose City Council on who elected the next Mayor, to favor him or face consequences. In turn, they elected Henry F. Teschemacher, the former Mayor of San Francisco and supporter of Norton. He had supported another loyalist of his, Newton Booth, to become Mayor of San Francisco. Norton would begin his term buffing up the idea of "state-supported militia". At this point, some eastern politicians thought this was California practically owning an army, which was not allowed, but Norton ensured they would only be used for the safeguarding of the American people.

----------
[1] The first Norton relocation would be to South Africa, originally from Britain, being a part of a government-backed colonization scheme.

6. Taming The West
6. Taming The West

XutEbxa0DDNpQsrUBZlRsQzTo9LtjSLSdV5-gcc-u31Pv7cK-B3j7J11OxBOygLgo1bWMUkDWuqskndMy3-wtEGw-gms8i-9En_xw_fMETCRi3uTx4ds3io1NWkwT4lKNDZL3Eba

Norton's Royal Guard facing off "Confederate Latewackers" in the Battle of Fort Tejon

Emperor Norton was eager to see what he could do as Governor of California. The former Governor of California, Frederick Low, would be his Lt. Governor. Norton would crush the outlaw environment in California, sending his militias across the state to put crime down. Not only that, but the Emperor of California was writing letters to the Hawaiian monarch, Kamehameha V, as they began getting closer and Norton would even visit Hawaii on behalf of the U.S later in 1868, where the friendship between the two men was strong and solid, having Norton making visits to Hawaii once every year. Back home, using the San Jose Massacre as a pretext, Norton would claim some mayors supported the death of those Americans, calling for them to be impeached, and rigging councils that were to impeach those mayors to remove them. New elections or a council would be held to determine the next mayor, Norton always had his influence within them so that the candidate he wanted would win. This trickery, however, would hurt the relationship between him and his Lt. Governor. The Democrats in California, many of them supporters of the deceased Haight, believed that California installed a dictator, and many of them, with their 2nd Amendment Right, promised by the constitution, held up arms against the Governor. This would only give Norton more of a pretext to remove his enemies, claiming them to be Confederate supporters and framing the people who held arms against him, late Confederate bushwhackers, and the eastern politicians believed him, even sending in troops from the occupied South to help.

The opposers, nicknamed "Latewhackers", roamed the south, assaulting cities and towns with mayors Norton installed. However, many skirmishes with Norton's militia and the military forced them from open conflict. Latewhackers pleaded any opposing politician of Norton to demand his impeachment, but those who were, either were too scared or already out of power. The last major battle before the Latewhackers resorted to guerilla tactics would be the Battle of Fort Tejon, where California militiamen on horseback massacred a Latewhacker force trying to storm Fort Tejon. Latewhackers soon had to stay on the run, as any town that supported them was not spared. The Latewhacker Uprising, as it was called, would only last three months, ending in January 1869. With the fall of the Latewhackers, Norton had complete control over California. The myth of Emperor Norton was consumerized by California businesses, with many shops selling Norton dolls and hats. A nephew of Joshua Norton himself, John Robert Norton, would make a name for himself, even fighting Latewhackers in the Latewacker Rebellion.

oRQ_ALQFqbQMy75fF2xUvCxoN-OrFTz6fG7iEtY7mNOaSHtg10q3gh8cxvl8QXm05b2TXK_zRUCjhnw3q0pKY3YsHLhrq9hXMKt2eJWzKrIrJGftqYZjUZZNZehBMitX_204oC3V

Photo of a young John R. Norton

John Robert Norton would enter the U.S at the age of 21. He found a new role model in Emperor Norton, with his father deceased by the time John was 3. While his family members had to adjust to what they saw as a crazy uncle or brother, John Robert Norton embraced the persona, addressing Emperor Norton properly. John was very involved with Joshua Norton's bid to be Governor of California. He traveled to many different cities, meeting with mayors and the common people to build-up Norton as a legendary figure, setting up his meetings as well. It was even said that John commanded a large part of the Royal Guard to San Jose, where he routed much of the enemy before being overwhelmed and injured in the shin. However, John's involvement in Norton's campaign pales in comparison with his involvement in the Latewhacker Rebellion. At this point, the state-supported militias have only been handling criminals during the age of the Wild West, never an actually formed militia, minus those of the Civil War. While many had much experience fighting in the Civil War, the militias themselves were not equipped to fight such forces on higher ground.

John rallied the gun industry in California to make higher quality weapons, raising funds from taxing loyal towns and raiding unloyal ones. He eventually supplied the entire Royal Guard with horses, even wagons for some, which were devastating during the Battle of Fort Tejon, where John's brother, Joshua Davis Norton, was killed. Filled with rage, John R. Norton led the Royal Guard to pillage the unfaithful towns, razing them to the ground, either killing or taking prisoner the entire town's population. After the uprising, John R. Norton practically set up a personal military dictatorship under the Governor of California, of the remaining towns. He set up rigged trials, killing many sentenced with treason by firing squad. He was given the nickname, "Red Robert" by many military officers. With the end of the Latewhacker Rebellion and the end of Mayor Teschemacher's term, Emperor Norton would seek to put the San Jose mayor somewhere else to fill a gap he wished to fill, and when the question was brought up who would be the next mayor of San Jose, emboldened by the fall of his enemies, nepotism was put into front stage with Red Robert being made Mayor of San Jose, where he injured his shin. While the city feared the man, with the history he had with the city, as well as his actions, John was rather laid back in his mayorship, allowing his underlings to do all the work for him, while he would seek to cooperate with other mayors to set up "Royal Guards" in other cities.

uVRRv9q3WctBjgDL3EkftWVRO1WNdGTXg6hbMT9Q6cvIv-vLgacN2DhhMLDzlZT-yyZyqVPPWhqv1L_RaLx0ScbT_ymo7Hona2J_3Kbx-GKUZFIKYiZRKh2EFb83H7OCK8DLlZXC

Jefferson C. Davis

For the other two years of Norton's first term, Emperor Norton would be involved with the Department of California, the military sector responsible for what is now California, Nevada, and Arizona, even having their headquarters at San Francisco. Joshua Abraham Norton used his political influence to buy loyalty to many California fortresses and even wasn't completely influence-based after Joshua Norton sent militiamen to help part in the Hualapai War in Arizona. The militia was even able to decimate the last rebellious tribal band led by Chief Sherum, where he would be killed. It wasn't only the Department of California Norton was dipping his feet in. He followed the same tactic he did with the Department of California, with the Department of Oregon, responsible for today's Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Norton would even befriend the former and first Commander of the Department of Alaska, Jefferson Columbus Davis, not to be confused with Confederate President, Jefferson Davis. Davis fought in the Civil War for the Union, but when he killed a General after a nasty, argumentative relationship with him, and although he wasn't put on trial due to the need for commanders during the Civil War, he never was able to gain a real promotion during the Civil War, until he eventually was assigned as Commander for the Department of Alaska.

Norton would soon easily win a second term for the Governor of California in 1871, easily beating opposing candidate, William Holden. Emperor Norton highlighted the importance of Californian unity under God and the effectiveness of the state-supported militia. Businesses were booming under Norton, and the people wanted more of the Emperor from San Francisco. In addition, Chivington would find success expanding all over California during Norton's first term as governor. Circuit riders from San Francisco spread their message north, all the way to Oregon. This spreading of the word's effectiveness was amplified by the fact that California militias were helping the Oregon populace with the natives, even the Emperor helped the Oregon governor, George L. Woods, make their own state-supported militias. God's Churches sprung up all overpopulated Oregon as churches for the most pious, devout followers of God. Norton would even help one of his old supporters, Newton Booth, to become the next California Senator, who defended the work done by Norton when some members of Congress questioned the rising influence of the Emperor, and by the end, the issue was put aside by both Congress and the President, many who saw Norton as helping develop and protect the American west.

Captain_Jack.jpg

Kintpuash "Captain Jack"

The first year of Norton's second term was really to secure good relations with the military, help funding for better conditions at the frontier's forts, where he even visited Fort Bragg and Humboldt during the Holidays. He integrated American veterans with the forts to give them fair employment again by being trainers, acting as captains and officers as well. The Emperor had the frontier's military and people on his side. Oregon and California militias would assist the Washington population against natives. A native uprising would occur in 1872, with members of the Modoc Tribe led by a native man nicknamed 'Captain Jack' revolting. The Modoc had a long history of conflict with the U.S and this won't change that. Captain Jack would soon set up a natural fortress, now called 'Captain Jack's Stronghold', where they were able to withstand an American force eight times larger with two howitzers. Peace talks were established, but the first meeting with Captain Jack turned violent, as he would kill General Canby, who was a part of the peace commission, as well as others, which caused the peace talks to end. A second battle would occur at Captain Jack's Stronghold, where the Modoc band were forced to retreat from their position. In the end, a U.S force led by Jefferson C. Davis was able to rout the Modoc forces and the Modoc War would end on 1873.

220px-Panic_of_1873_bank_run.jpg

The Great Depression (Panic of 1873)

Jefferson Davis wished to execute the Modoc leaders where he stood, but the War Department called for a trial, so they had to wait. While waiting, it was discovered that there were large numbers of silver in the U.S and European colonies, devalued the silver standard in many global nations, including the United States. Sooner or later, banks that invested in railroaded weren't able to pay for bonds, and many would soon fail. Banks runs would occur, and soon, the Great Depression (Panic of 1873) would bring chaos to the U.S. While the east instantly faced the problems of the economic downfall, the west was effected more slowly, with news of the panic coming before the effects. Emperor Norton, who since his Imperial reign, sought to truely rule a nation. Be it he was a madman or a conniving genius, he sought power. The first thing he did strangely was to intercept the message from Grant to allow for Jack's execution. So, on the 12th of November, Emperor Norton with a band of supporters, including Jefferson C. Davis and multiple Californian and Oregon politicians, declared the attempted coup made to Ulysses S. Grant to take over the U.S and the Empire of California, taking the lands of California, Oregon, and later Washington in the 14th when soldiers led by Davis forced the Governor of Washington out of power with support of some Washinton militia.

----------
Yeah...I'm not sure if I'll keep writing for this TL. It's been a LONG while. I've only really come back to at least end this chapter on a decent cliffhanger if it were to not continue, but let me hear what you think!

I imagine that every area outside of California (which I would think isn't entirely stable either) under Norton's control is going to be ripe with unrest and rebellion.

Please continue, this is amazing!

But now seriously speaking, Norton has proven himself to be a damn good politician, his switcheroo with letters even resembles the one done by Bismarck to star the Franco-Prussian War in 1871

7. War on Liberty
7. War on Liberty

"Grant brings the nation in ruins by pointing rifles at Senate! The death of liberty is upon us! May God spare us all! May Norton save us all!" - One of many Californian newspapers spreading conspiracy theories and propaganda to the western populace.

unknown.png

"Confederates Back At The Doorstep" by Thomas Nast
While the second secession of American states would occur in the U.S's history, the Californian War, as it would be called, would not be taken seriously by eastern politicians at first. Grant and other Senators could barely believe that Americans would rally behind a self-declared Emperor against their homeland, but not only that, they had pressing matters that seemed more important. For one, the resurgence of the violent race relations in the South. The Ku Klux Klan may have been disbanded, but the White League remained strong, and although politicians saw the Western secession as a joke, Southerners catching wind of this made many think it was the South's time to rise again. It would blow up with the Assault on Hamburg when former Confederate General, Matthew C. Butler, would lead a white militia to attempt to bully the African-American populace out of the town of Hamburg out of a show of strength. When most residences refused, at night, the militia masked themselves and killed multiple Blacks at the cold of the night. Butler would eventually be arrested, but his actions would lead to Southern insurrections nicknamed by the people as "The Butchery".

Little to none Southern politicians and former commanders supported these insurrections, but many Southerners did. Towns supported militias the best they could in their war against Blacks. By March 1874, the White League were even able to seize New Orleans, preventing Federal soldiers to assist by using guerilla tactics to wear them out. Under the control of their leader, Frederick N. Ogden, the Southerners would execute a large number of African-Americans, being called "Ogden's Wrath", no matter their age or sex, many Blacks were executed, even babies, in which it was rumored that they were smothered to death in front of their mothers. Federal troops would eventually retake New Orleans, giving capital punishment to Ogden and his men. The Butchery was seen as a national emergency by the Government, who would spend much time into bringing order to the South. Although businesses were used to help, which also helped the economy, it didn't reach to a scale in which it reversed the effects of the Depression, where militias often raided some businesses who assisted the government. However, there weren't only Southern militias. Many Northerners blamed either the government or the South for the Depression, and with many men without a job, some formed militias and often raided Southern towns to make ends meet.

175px-Brigham_Young_by_Charles_William_Carter.jpg

Brigham Young, President of the LDS Church
While Grant was occupied by Southerners, he was startled to hear that the Mormons were causing trouble. Bringham, with multiple Mormon militias, seized Salt Lake City and the Governor of Utah Territory, George L. Woods, the man who was formerly Governor of Oregon and was helped by Norton, fled the area for San Francisco. Telegraph lines were cut, having the U.S lose an easy connection to the West Coast. Seeing the Mormons more of a threat than Norton, Grant sent out troops by railroad to hopefully reach Salt Lake City and deal with this mess. However, Brigham was going to let the fight come to him, he was going to come to the fight. He ordered the railroads to be torn off and men camped out in the night to wait for the troops. Soon, a train would barrel towards their direction and topple over. Mormon militiamen rushed the train, firing upon it, leaving the surprised soldiers caught off guard, with many of them forced to surrender or die. The Great Train Blunder as it would be called would lead to Grant losing much support, as a hundred Union soldiers were now prisoners of the Mormons.

220px-Lunalilo_%28PP-98-15-018%29.jpg
220px-John_M_Schofield_by_CM_Bell%2C_c1860s_%28cropped%29.JPG

King Lunalilo of Hawaii, Major General John Schofield
Emperor Norton spent the first few months consolidating his power. Although the military loved him, their leader, John Schofield, was appointed during Norton's second term and was not enamored by the character of Norton, even calling him crazy. Luckily, Schofield was on a mission in Hawaii, who's purpose was a mystery. The current King of Hawaii, George C. Lunalilo, was supported by Norton when he was elected and grew to new the Governor of California during his visits to Hawaii. Letters were sent by Norton, as well as other politicians, claiming that Schofield was actually there to cause the white population at the Hawaiian Islands to depose the King. Fearful of this possibility, Schofield was seized by Hawaiian officials, in which he was supposed to be sent to San Francisco to be held for trial by the newly-named Empire of California, but he would suspiciously die on the way due to food poisoning. By January of 1874, the populace of Arizona and New Mexico Territory would depend on the Empire of California. Cut off by Southern lands, the only protection could come from western troops. Not only that but the legend of Emperor Norton during the Civil War had spread in the area, and the negative opinions stirred towards Grant, pressured these lands to submit to Norton and his men. Californian militias would be sent to help with the rising native and Southern raids.

Guns would not be the only things used to seize lands. Californian newspapers would seep across borders, as editorials and headlines released would muster conspiracy theories about the military coup made by Grant and the nation being in chaos, although the latter would actually be true as the months passed. The Nevada population would be dominated by Californian news. Politicians in that area were already favorable to the political sphere of Emperor Norton, but with the rising Nevadan support due to these misleading articles, none could deny the Californian influence of Nevada. However, this is where the first resistance began. Frederick Low, the new Governor of California under Emperor Norton, attempted to fold California back into the Union. Allying himself with the Nevada Governor, Lewis R. Bradley, who was also leading a media war against the Californian newspapers with local newspapers, tried to seize Norton with a small anti-Norton militia. However, the Royal Guard would be able to prevent this, and as Low and the militia tried to flee, the San Francisco crowd caught him and brought him to Norton, where he ordered his former friend's execution, as well as the captain of the militia.

300px-Lynching-of-casey-and-cora.jpg

"Death To Traitors!", An illustration on multiple newspapers after the execution of Frederick Low
After the attempted coup by Low, Norton wasted no time ending any bit of dissent in his Empire. Protesters were fired upon. Militias against Norton would be hunted down and brutally executed. This would be when the populace of Washinton fully submitted to Norton's rule, willingly or unwilling. While the Emperor crushed dissent and grasped his power over the media, he called for the invasion of Nevada. It wasn't really an invasion, more of a coup of Governor Bradley. Nevadans, believing in the lies spewed by the news, held up arms against the government. While some formed militias of hopes to stop this, the supporters of Norton easy outnumbered them and Bradley would be captured and imprisoned. At this point, California held lands from the borders of Texas to Canada, but one place would put it's foot down against the rule of Norton. Idaho.

Disconnected by the influence of Norton, the people of Idaho were not willing to leave the Union, even if they were on the other side of the Rockies. Newspapers didn't strike through the Idaho masses and the Idaho government refused to get help from California from Mormon raids. Jefferson C. Davis, with the permission of Emperor Norton, planned an invasion of the territory. In June 1874, Low with militias mustered from Oregon and Washington would march into Idaho, their goal to take the capital of Boise. However, the Idaho Governor was no pushover. Thomas W. Bennett led troops during the Civil War, even brevetted to Brigadier General. He formed his own militias and used guerilla tactics to wear down Davis's troops, and when reports came that Idaho militias were starting raids in Oregon and Washington, Davis was forced to pull back, but that wasn't it. Bennett would personally lead a militia force to intercept Davis's main force, able to beat them at the Battle of Lewiston, forcing Davis to retreat back to Washington.

After the failure at Idaho, Norton wanted to lift war support back up, so he sent Jefferson C. Davis to deal with Alaska. The Empire of California was lucky to be able to take control of the Pacific and Asiatic Squadrons, as most crews knew little of Norton, but Davis was able at the beginning of the war to call all ships back to the coast in hopes to find a former Confederate spy. Some of the crew were seized and imprisoned but the rest were able to be influenced by the conspiracies of the newspapers, and the open spots would be filled in by loyal men to Norton. Jefferson Davis would send letters to the Alaskan officers, saying that the US is in turmoil, Grant a traitor and that Alaska must be assured of loyalty to Norton. While most Alaskan garrisons there knew little of Norton, they knew much of Jefferson C. Davis, their first Commander of Alaska, so when ships were sent, claiming that the newly appointed George B. Rodney Jr. was a supporter of the traitorous Grant, many outposts sided with Davis and they eventually seized all Alaskan outposts. With Emperor Norton's realm ready to face the chaos of Grant's America, all the build-up is waiting to happen. So then, where will the first battle arrive between the two? The Mormon-infested land that is Utah.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention this in the chapter and it may seem obvious, but I'll to recontinue this TL, maybe put in a chapter every one or two weeks. Anyways, hope you enjoy!

8. Down With The Red, White, & Blue
8. Down With The Red, White, & Blue

gKPD_401V_BftDBZUic953bzFtdyu6FnE3MEhMP2St35SRiO6vZIz_IX6Zm6qRFi3oBEwd3N_m7Sfz1-AfsKHIt5Kl_loJrZNQpPxg2_W13IHHX76X6a7mLGKUTiXOB8ksuUpvoh

A Josephite-Morrisite force charging down Loyalist Mormon defenders

The rising power of the Californian Empire and the chaos happening in the United States, it seemed that the playing field was leveled. However, one thing that was in the pain in the butt for both opposing sides were the Mormons of Utah. The situation in Utah grew wild, as Brigham attempted to remove the Morrisites, a sect of the Latter Day Saints formed by Joseph Morris. Also known as the Church of the Firstborn, the Morrisites were at war with the Utah government during the Civil War, losing but pardoned. Young sought to destroy them once and for all. While most of the Morrisites lived in Montana now, their new leader, George Williams, often lived in Salt Lake City. The Mormons would attempt to arrest Williams but failed. Seeking vengeance for the Morrisite War, Williams returned to Montana to rally his followers and formed a fighting force, marching back to Utah. However, Williams would also find more support in some Mormons. Brigham grew more and more radical, as his war progressed, especially making a grip hold in the Mormon government, and many traditional Mormons were against this change, who still supported theodemocracy. One of them was the nephew of Joseph Smith, Joseph Fielding Smith.

After Williams and his band arrived, Brigham justified suspending the Council of Fifty, which angered many Mormons seeing Young going against the teachings of Joseph Smith. Soon, Smith and Williams met up with one another and agreed on their cooperation against Young. The Mormons splintered into the Josephite Mormons and the Loyalist Mormons. In early July, a Morrisite-Josephite force would lead a raid in Salt Lake City, where Brigham's son-in-law, Charles E. Johnson, and his daughter, Ruth Young, went against Brigham and sided with Smith. The firm hold of Utah by Brigham was crumbling, as Salt Lake City constantly became a warzone, even allowing US captives to escape and rally in southern Utah to fight the Mormons. Grant and Norton both saw the weakness in Utah, and readied their forces to crush the Utah threat. In October, both sides entered Utah and crushed any Mormon forces, on either side. Jefferson C. Davis would quickly take Salt Lake City with the organized Army of the Applegate from Oregon, Nevada, and Washington. A U.S force led by Steward V. Vliet, who fought in the Utah War, would enter in the east and make a path of destruction in their wake. The Josephites and Morrisites would flee north to the Morrisite home of Montana, while Loyalist Mormons would flee to the Utah wilderness. Brigham would be found killed by his multiple wives in central Utah. However, when the U.S and Imperial forces met, Davis quickly assaulted Vliet's forces at the Battle of Emigration Canyon, where Imperial forces on horseback ran down the encamped U.S force, and believing it was a Mormon counter-attack, Vliet called for a mass retreat to Fort Bridger to regroup.

-c1KuoRXp2o7v55tEmYiQ-gB6vxBaqkT6nQJUY_U9qSH2NiBzYEnKmgMp7gJg9wSMCopjvhEJjlDIrVw1WKHCN_XnZSOp_sPw7PTOo_0RHpHX_E4JKKZYI9TF22QdqzbFtIj7C-T

Brigadier General Steward Van Vliet

When it was realized that the force they faced were soldiers under Emperor Norton, people on the east realized the danger of the self-proclaimed Emperor, with one enemy at the west replaced with another. In November, Grant called for reinforcements for Vliet's army, now being called the Army of the Missouri. However, most U.S forces would still be dealing with Southern insurrection, who resorted to guerilla warfare to stay a threat. The Butchery was out of it's bloody, war-like state, but it wats still a place where if a Yankee was wearing blue, he would be shot when taking a few steps into Virginia. Vliet would attempt to do a counterattack at Emigration Canyon, where most of the Imperial forces were at putting down Mormon insurrection. Reinforcements coming from the Dakota Territory, Vliet marched but were surprised to find Emigration Canyon abandoned. All the way to Salt Lake City, there were no Imperial forces stationed. All of Utah was abandoned. Vliet would station the Army of the Missouri around Salt Lake City, but it was soon figured out why Davis and his men left. Even if there was no Mormon forces on the field, militias would constantly harass the soldiers and the supply lines.

The Empire of California, however, would finalize the equipment of their soldiers. With the Long Depression occurring after the Panic of 1873, Canadians, especially on the western side, were struggling. It came to the point where Canadian businesses were secretly selling to the Empire of California who quickly recovered from the depression by gearing their economy to support the armed forces. "Overborder" businesses would form, making and selling weapons and supplies to sell to the Californian Empire. While Canadian officials tried to crack down on these businesses, these attempts were soon slacked off when it was apparent that these businesses gave back jobs. This strained relations with the Americans and Canadians. However, it wasn't only Canada doing that. Mexican mercenaries would sprout at the border, employed by the Imperial forces and soon the U.S forces later on. Although in the beginning, they were inexperienced, their struggles would mold them into soldiers. Spaces that needed to be filled were often done by Mexican mercenaries. These mercenaries would soon wither away and cracked down on by the newly-risen President Porfirio Díaz in 1876.

It would take a month to secure safe-zones to allow supply lines to flow through and supply the U.S troops, so in December, Vliet would enter Nevada in hopes to crush the enemy. However, at this point, the march was very rushed, with little time between subduing the Mormons and going on the march. When the U.S captured Elko, Nevada, the Imperial forces would soon cut off the supply lines using their native allies, including the Modocs who were pardoned. Without their supplies, Vliet attempted to supply his forces by doing raids, but this only alienated any U.S sympathizers in the Empire, especially Nevada. Just before Christmas Day, Davis would skirmish the U.S forces effectively, and on the day after Christmas, where Vliet tried to boost his soldiers' morale by caroling, Davis would use howitzers taken from the western forts and fired near Elko, not meant to fire at it. These howitzers scared the oblivion out of the Yankee force, and when Californian soldiers marched to the town, the U.S put up a poor fight. Only troops led by Lieutenant Colonel George A. Custer put up a hard fight, but Vliet again called for a retreat, now to Salt Lake City, to reinforce their supply lines again.

"The gold miners have picked up rifles!" - Vliet's report to President Grant, where the rebel nicknamed "gold miners" came from

unknown.png

The official flag of the Empire of California was accepted in early January 1874
With the new threat being Norton and his Empire of California, Grant would attempt to shut down this rebellion quickly. The main front, being called the Nevada Front by the Californian military, seemed to be the main focus of the enemy military. Grant would organize another force in Texas, coming from stationed forces in the South, as the Butchery was in its dying weeks, led by recently promoted General George Armstrong Custer, who was a highlight in the Siege of Elko. On late February, as the Californians were sieging Salt Lake City, Custer entered the New Mexico Territory with the Army of the Rio Grande. Custer would make headway, able to organize supply lines through New Mexico and subjugate the rowdy populace. New Mexico militias had to face the ground and horse-backed units of Civil War veterans. However, Custer would be stopped in Arizona when faced with a new army and an old face. William S. Ketchum, the man who trained the first San Francisco Regiment during the Civil War, was spending most of his time in California, as Norton was becoming a good friend and his rising popularity allowed Ketchum to get good posts in the west. During the Californian War, Ketchum had been training men in Los Angelos from California, Arizona, and New Mexico, calling them the Army of Los Angelos. He would utilize the bands of Mexican mercenaries and even some Hawaiians that shipped themselves off to California to help out the men of Norton.

unknown.png
220px-Custer9.jpg

General William S. Ketchum (Army of Los Angelos), General George A. Custer (Army of the Rio Grande)
When news came up that Custer was making a rampage in the deserts of New Mexico, Ketchum made quick work to rally his men at Fort Yuma under the new flag of the Californian Empire, beginning the march. By March, Custer was trying to siege down the forts along the Rio Grande. So by following the Gila River, the Army of Los Angelos was making its way into New Mexico. In April, the first battle would arrive at the Battle of Fort Craig, where Ketchum and his men assaulted the sieging Americans led by Custer. Although without many steeds compared to Custer's forces, the besieged garrison of Fort Craig would sally out. Although Custer pushed for his cavalry to attack the exposed garrison, most troops thought that there were way more numbers on the garrison's side, maybe a flanking force some officers thought. it wouldn't help that Custer would be shot in the leg, injuring his muscles. Unable to clearly give orders, his inferiors called for a general retreat to Fort Thorn. After this battle, Custer called for Grant to begin conscription, especially for Southern states to "have reb's kill other reb's". However, the population was very unconvinced of the severity of this war. Buffalo, New York would be where a large protest of conscription would take place, however, it would turn violent when soldiers strolled in to put the protest down. Protesters soon threw rocks, bricks, any objects. Finally, one soldier would accidentally fire their gun when threatening a protestor. Soon, the conflict became lethal. Fifty people would die and twenty would be injured during the Buffalo Massacre. Followed by more incidents in Baltimore and even New York itself, may God have mercy on these United States of America.

m11-hay1-1877-480[1].jpg

The Buffalo Massacre, 1874

9. A Blood End
9. A Bloody End

"We will not allow some gold miners and some lunatic destroy the Union!" - General George A. Custer

unknown.png

Group of Texan "Gold-reavers"
As the American states were trickling in riots and death, the government was in a mess. Many Senators were tired of war since the Civil War and sought a peaceful resolution, while some, mostly being Radical Republicans, sought to crush these rebels as they had done before. The loudest voice for continuing the war was John Charles Frémont, the Pathfinder. Being heavily involved in the state of California, Frémont demanded a "great army to quickly sweep away these heathens". However, the public was very much anti-war, especially on the east coast, who very much belittled the western threat. The only citizens who actively seemed threatened by the enemy were the boarding states: Texas, Idaho, etc. The Texan people were more open to conscription, but still apprehensive to comply with Yanks. The injured Custer was able to replenish, even bolster, his numbers with Texan conscripts, personally calling them "Gold-reavers", while the Californians nicknamed them "Ogdens", referencing Frederick N. Ogden and his massacres at New Orleans. No matter their name, these Texans would be the bulk of Custer's army.

In May, a coordinated attack from the American Armies of the Rio Grande and the Missouri would march into the Californian territory and an Atlantic naval force would prepare a journey to the Pacific Ocean. Vliet strengthened his supply lines heavily, able to push into Nevada. Vliet was able to surprise the garrison at Elko, crushing them at the 2nd Siege of Elko. Jefferson C. Davis would attempt to expel this force, but the Army of Missouri would lead another surprise attack at the Battle of Winnemucca, where Vliet was able to use bands of mounted soldiers to flank and force Davis's men to flee or die. Davis and his army would be forced to traverse west to avoid the army's destruction, eventually bunkering up at the new city of Reno in June, while the Army of the Missouri was forced to slowly make its way west, being constantly harassed by Nevada militias. In New Mexico, the Army of the Rio Grande went up the Rio Grande's forts again. He would sacrifice Gold-reaver militiamen to quickly take a fort. The Army of Los Angelos was meanwhile distracted by Native American turncoats that raided nearby towns. The conflict would finally begin after the capture of Fort Craig in June. Ketchum and the Army of Los Angelos would march south, but Custer would use mobility to his advantage. Horse regiments would be able to bypass Ketchum's army and seize Albuquerque swiftly. Seeing that he was being surrounded, Ketchum was forced to flee to Nevada, so he marched his force to Fort Ketchum, formally Fort Grant, after he was able to flee from the Battle of Valverde, not to be confused with the American Civil War's Battle of Valverde.
After the forces of Ketchum was able to rally at the fort named after him, Custer wasn't willing to give the Californians an inch. During July, Custer was on his way to defeat Ketchum once more, as he may be bound to a horse, but his soul was untamed. Although his commanders recommended for Ketchum to bunker up at the fortress, and he did that without pause. He surrounded the fort with barricades, stakes, and cannons. However, Custer arrived with an unexpected slowing. The man was confident that any reinforcements coming would be too small or too far away. He wished to simply have Ketchum surrender or be starved out. Not wishing to be captured by some Yanks, Ketchum decided to constantly harass the American force with cannon fire and sallying out "death squads" to inflict heavy losses on the Army of the Rio Grande. The straw that broke the camel's back would be when one of these "death squads" would kill George Custer's youngest brother, Boston. Filled with rage after hearing this news, Custer called for an all-out assault. Custer's mounted infantry would quickly be found in the night and fired upon. Ketchum would constantly move the stake formations surrounding the fort, and at this night, unaware of these changes, it would be quickly found out when whole platoons of cavalry would smash against the sharp stakes. Grapeshots would prove deadly as the clustered infantry would kill hundreds at a time. This night attack would prove the death of the Army of the Rio Grande. By morning, Ketchum would call for a mass sally before a constant barrage of cannons. The remnants of Custer's force would flee back to Fort Craig, with both General and men broken.

Grant_Ulysses_GLC00559-01_med.jpg

President Grant meeting with Emperor Norton at Salt Lake City
In the international community, American favor was slipping. After the Siege of Fort Ketchum, the Kingdom of Hawaii would officially recognize the Empire of California as a nation. In addition, the Emperor of Brazil, Pedro II, would do the same. In 1867, Emperor Pedro first met Emperor Norton in San Francisco, intrigued by the man's character. The two spoke for hours and then maintained relations between both of them. When the Californian War erupted, Pedro was apprehensive to recognize or assist Emperor Norton, but when news came that the American lost a big fight at Fort Ketchum, formally named Fort Grant, it was such a disgrace in the views of the international community, Pedro II recognized the Empire of California. Russia would even open up trade with the Empire of California on their Siberian Coast. In August, the British and Russians would eventually force the Americans to do peace talks with the Empire of California, in hopes to end this conflict. The first meeting would happen on August 28th in Salt Lake City. However, combat would still continue. Norton made it clear that the Empire of California would not be absorbed by the Union, while Grant tried to make the negotiations meaningless so that Vliet could quickly defeat Davis's army and hopefully get better terms, maybe even defeat the Army of Los Angelos and be done with this mess.

The Army of the Missouri would finally arrive at Reno in late August and besiege the city. However, Davis was ill at this moment and his inferiors squabbled on what to do. In early September, Vliet would order a mass assault and overrun the wounded Army of the Applegate. Forced out of Reno, Vliet soon capitalized on the moment and beat the Californian army at Carson City, taking Nevada's capital. While Vliet's underlings recommended they rest, so they make the march south to beat the Army of Los Angelos and win the war, Vliet believed that Davis's Army of the Applegate could no longer exist. The American army marched down the Sierra Nevadas chasing Davis and his men. They would win another decisive battle at the Slaughter of Red Rock, where thousands of Californians were killed and hundreds were executed later. The Californians would eventually be cornered off at Nopah Range, where Davis set up artillery and his men for a "final stand". Vliet demanded for the Californians to surrender Davis and they would be spared, but not thought of a moment to do so. Reports came that there were some raiding parties on the American army's outskirts, but Vliet overlooked that.

"The Bloody Nopah!" - Final words of General Steward Van Vliet

1201-mpr-622x330.jpg

The Battle of Nopah Range
The Californians were outnumbered three to one, but their morale was hard as steel. It was said that soldiers made lewd drawings in the dirt of General Vliet and caroled Christmas songs in the night before. The morning after, Vliet gave the word and the around two-thirds of the Army of the Missouri charged down upon Davis's men. Grapeshots and the smoke of musket fire were in the air. The Americans soon reached the Californians in melee combat and were trying to push through, but were stuck. When Vliet sent the order for the other third to charge as well, while they were preparing, the Americans were soon met with fire from behind. After the Siege of Fort Ketchum, William S. Ketchum marched his force straight in the direction of Reno to assist, and when he heard news of the fall of Carson City. Davis and he sent messengers back and forth to plan a ballsy move. The Americans were soon taking fire from both sides, and the men panicked. Vliet was soon downed by a shot to the arm, later dying from infection. The Army of the Missouri soon fell into disarray, and the slaughter commenced. Thousands were killed until the men were finally spared. The Battle of Nopah was a miracle compared to what happened at Fort Ketchum.

upload_2018-11-9_18-12-57-jpeg.419673

The Farley Flight

After the Battle of Nopah Range or the Battle of Bloody Nopah, as the Californians called it, many more events would occur. Raids along the New Mexico-Texas border would become frequent and a Native American uprising in Idaho, called the Bannock War, would begin in late September. The Atlantic fleet was stalled by Brazilian ships in the Maceió Incident, where Brazilian ships fired upon American ships, thinking that the ships were seized by Paraguayan veterans of the War of the Triple Alliance. Although everyone didn't believe in the story, the losing war with the Empire of California made America give a pass on Brazil. These ships eventually made it to the Pacific in December and met the Californian ships near the Mexican island of Cedros. At the Battle of Cedros, Californian ships, although not exactly up to date with the Atlantic ships, were way more organized than the low-morale American ships. Smaller vessels were able to maneuver around the Atlantic ships. Some of the fleet would be destroyed or boarded, as the whole thing was a huge blunder. The Bannock tribe would wear down Idaho militias, the whole conflict being very costly. At the turn of the year, James T. Farley would fly a hot air balloon over San Francisco, leading a huge morale boost to the Californian people. America's politicians demanded an end to this.

A formal armistice is signed by the U.S President, Ulysses S. Grant. After much debate, mainly over the territory of Utah. California demanded the U.S controlled Utah, while the Americans refused to do so. It would finally end when a Californian politician said: "we can end this peace, wait a month for our boys to take this Mormon country, and that'll be it". The Americans would agree to concede Utah to the Empire of California for exchange in Californian involvement in the Bannock War, where the Americans were unable to send troops and the Bannock's were recruiting men from other tribes as well, being nearly a thousand strong. On the 26th of January, the Treaty of Salt Lake City or the Treaty of Salt Lake for short, would end the Californian War. The Empire of California would control: California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Alaska, & Utah. The Transcontinental Railroad would be shared between the two nations, with the costs to repair it is shared between the two. Finally, the Empire of California would war with the Bannock people in the Bannock War. The man had done it. A madman destroyed the Union.

10. Building An Empire
10. Building An Empire

"How High The Eagle Has Fallen!" - Headlines in San Francisco

unknown.png

Illustration of Ulysses S. Grant after the war ended
The American people were splintered. Americans on the east and west side blamed each other for losing the Californian War. Democrats seized on the opportunity to blame the Republicans for the lost war. If anything was certain, all of America blamed Grant. Newspapers ridiculed President Grant for running the war poorly, as well as multiple other scandals during his Presidency. Southern uprisings, although not to the scale of The Butchery, would resume the black-white violence. However, these uprisings would pale in comparison to the North. Riots calling for Grant's resignation, payment to those affected by the war, or a raise in pay. Grant was apprehensive to use military force, fearing rising bloodshed to occur. Ulysses S. Grant would consider resignation, but many Republicans thought it would be underhanded and irresponsible to the nation to give the Presidency to an ill Vice President, so Grant would not do so. The riots would eventually die down, but the Republicans' fates would still be sealed. Henry Wilson would be assassinated by Preston S. Brooks, the son of House of Representatives member, Preston Brooks. It would be ironic that Preston S. Brooks's father would challenge Wilson to a duel to which he refused. The Vice Presidency would not be filled, until the next election.

Many politicians called for the embargo of the Californian Empire, in hopes to restrict their trade to Europe. The building of the Northern Pacific Railway was paused due to the war, but now it was officially canceled. However, this would prove fruitless, as Canada allowed the Empire of California to pass through their territory in exchange for support in funding for their own railway connecting west to east. You see, the Californian War would very much negatively affect the world, especially Canada. Funding for the Canadians' railway was transferred to help the struggling economy. Emperor Norton agreed to help in any way that he could. Grant's Presidency would not better as the former General of the Rio Grande, George A. Custer, would lead a coalition of Californian War veterans and side with the Democrats, calling Grant's inability to rally America and splintering the American people as the reason they lost the way. Although Republicans tried to paint the loss at the Battle of Fort Ketchum as Custer's fault, Custer's opinion would be more prevalent.

185px-JamesGBlaine.png
185px-SamuelJonesTilden.jpg

Senator James G. Blaine (Republican nominee), Governor Samuel J. Tilden (Democrat nominee)
As the year passed into 1876, many were eager to see the next election. Both Republican and Democrat National Conventions would take place in June. For the Republicans, one of the possible nominees, Senator Blaine, seemed to be the next successor. With all the mud that the Republican Party was going through, Blaine was untouched by this. In hopes to win back Americans to the Republican Party and hopefully win the election, Blaine was quickly made the nominee of the Republican Party, with Rutherford B. Hayes being made Vice-President in hopes to win over the important state of Ohio. During the Democratic National Convention, the same thing would essentially happen. One of the possible nominees, Governor Tilden, was enthusiastically named the Democratic nominee on the 2nd Ballot, with Thomas A. Hendricks being made Vice-President. There were also other parties that named nominees for President & Vice-President: William Allen with Samuel Fenton Cary for the Greenback Party, Green Clay Smith with Gideon Tabor Steward for the Prohibition Party, & Jonathan Blanchard with Donald Kirkpatrick for the American National Party. However, Blanchard would refuse to run and so the small party decided name James B. Walker, the Mayor of Flint, to be their nominee.

The campaigns between the Democrats and Republicans were very messy. Both sides were mud-slinging against one another. Democrats were giving the Republicans a tough time by blaming the Grant Administration for the failure in the Californian War and the Long Depression. On the other side, we see the Republicans "waving the bloody shirt", trying to sprout up Confederate fears and brought up the atrocities in the South done during the Butchery. However, when the Greenback presidential nominee, William Allen made a statement to an Ohio newspaper: "These Republicans are blaming the Democrats for these horrid atrocities when it was them that was in power, not the Democrats." This simple statement by a separate party had the Democrats spinning The Butchery on the Republicans, which would definitely lose them votes. However, the Southerners would not be blameless in violence in the South. The White League and the newly-formed Red Shirts would break up Republican power in the South with violence, yet there was little Republican support in the South other than freedmen, due to the failures of the Grant Administration during The Butchery.

unknown.png

Republican (red), Democrat (blue), Greenback (green), Territories (grey)

It would also be a surprise to find the success of the Greenback Party. With both the Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates being from Ohio, they would be able to build a base of support there. Rutherford B. Hayes's influence there would actually be hampered, as many saw the Republicans as corrupt and the farmers supported the Greenback Party trying to repeal the Specie Payment Resumption Act, which would cause inflation, allowing the farmers to sell goods at a higher rate and payout their debts, that being the theory. With the Greenbacks taking over rural Ohio and the Democrats being involved, the Greenback Party would be able to make the Republicans lose in Ohio by a slim margin and win the state, as well as being influential enough in Kansas for the Democrats to win. This only made the Republicans look more idiotic, with Democratic Vice-Presidential nominee, Thomas A. Hendricks, calling Hayes a "failed conqueror of Ohio". With all these Republican blunders, in the first time in many years, there would be a Democrat winning the election.

"The Lord has chosen which men are righteous and which are not! Bless the Emperor!" - John Chivington

Z.png

Liberation Day in Los Angelos, 26th of January, 1876

With the end to the Californian War, the Empire of California, setting up their capital at San Francisco, had to quickly change. After the Californian Army assisted in putting an end to the Bannock War, the financial administrator of the Empire, Newton Booth, planned on industrial plans to modernize the underdeveloped areas, which helped bring the empire out of the Long Depression. Generals Davis and Ketchum would be the major administrators over the Empire's territory, basically making a stratocracy under the monarchy of Emperor Norton. However, many international monarchies were still apprehensive. It would help that Brazil and Hawaii recognized Emperor Norton as a legitimate monarch, but many European monarchs were still on the fence. Theories that Norton was the son of former Emperor Napoleon III were ridiculed but opened up to the possibility that Norton had some noble blood, possibly from England, where his parents came from. Although not clear indication that Norton was a legitimate monarch, Norton still claimed the right of conquest over his territories and some religious leaders in the Empire of California made statements that he was given divine right to rule by God, the loudest of them being John Chivington.

With California taking over the west coast production of oil from America, they gain much income from selling their oil to East Asian nations, mostly Japan. Although the Empire took everything over in the Pacific from America, including their navy, the United States refused to change the Treaty of Wanghia, a treaty with China, from American to Californian interests, and the Chinese Empire refused for a recently-independent power to be given access to these western rights in China. Land bought by the U.S, although robbed a naval force, was still U.S land. American missionaries were very much against the Californian supremacy over the west coast. Caleb C. Baldwin was a loud voice against Emperor Norton. However, religious leaders in the Empire of California fired back, saying that the American missionaries "spread the word of God, but do not spread the love of God". Norton and his government made it very clear that Asian immigrants were welcome to immigrate, seeking to populate his Empire, like Oregon and Norton (formerly Washington), especially Utah in hopes to drown out the Mormon population there. By the end of the U.S 1876 election, Chinese workers were personally hired by the government. Many whites were against this, seeing this rise in cheap Asian labor as a way to flush out the white workforce, so Norton made sure that payment to these Chinese by businesses was heavily regulated by the government, and led to the path of these companies practically being government-owned. These reforms allowed the steady stream of Chinese laborers to build up and work in factories without heavily beating out the white workforce.

ENS=Emperor Norton's Ship
ENS Nopah (USS Benicia)
ENS California (USS Monocacy)
ENS Ketchum (USS Palos)
ENS Lunalilo (USS Saranac)
ENS Sacramento (USS Narragansett)
ENS Oregon (USS Cyane)
ENS Jack (USS Comanche)
ENS Victory (USLHT Shubrick)

300px-HMS_Devastation_%281871%29.jpg

HMS Devastation

The Empire of California would also work on its naval capabilities. The Asiatic and Pacific fleets were a start, but not sizeable. With China not taking the Empire of California seriously in its attempts to build influence in the Pacific, Norton sought to bolster the Californian Navy as a potential threat in the Pacific Ocean. The desire for not just more ships, but ones of advanced design. Norton personally thought that ironclads had the potential to be a dangerous force in the waters. Multiple Canadian ship designers were hired, and influenced by Britain, settled for ship designs similar to the new HMS Devastation, but smaller in size to be more mobile and cost-effective, as well as cylinder-shaped boilers. The idea of mastless ships to allow for battery turrets sparked the imagination of Californian naval commanders. Using the money from their recent oil selling to Japan allowed for the first ship to be made in mid-1876.