The Eagle and the Bear (Or, What if Paul I Survived?)

CHAPTER 1: A Warning in the Night (PoD)

THE EAGLE AND THE BEAR

Chapter 1: A Warning in the Night (Our Point of Divergence)

Paul 1 Russia.jpeg

Paul I of Russia

The Warning Approaches

It was the 12th of March, 1801, around 10:00 at night. Paul I, Emperor of all Russia, was winding down for the day, trying to sleep despite his insomnia. His bed faced the door. The image of its imposing ornamental canopy and the garish yellows and golds in the room’s design invoked a certain uneasy cheeriness, like a canary in a cage being led to its death. The palace of which this bedroom was a part was, too, like a cage. A squat, octangular structure which sat on an artificial island, carved from the rest of Saint Petersburg by rivers and canals, Saint Michael’s Palace resembled a cross between a fairy-tale castle and a military fortress. It fit; Paul was obsessed with legends of chivalry even more than ideas of shadowy plotters. In fact, his fairy-tale fortress was only reachable by a password-protected drawbridge.

Suffice to say, if Paul didn’t want to see someone, he would not be seeing someone. At least, that was the theory. In reality, his bewildered sentry guard had lowered the bridge for the middle palace gate. A visitor was approaching. He was not alone. [1]

Grand Prince Alexander, first son of Paul I, marched hurriedly down the halls towards his father’s bedroom, accompanied by Admiral José de Ribas and a small band of loyal Imperial Guardsmen sourced from Paul’s old Gatchina regiments. The grand halls and foyers of the palace echoed emptily with so many footsteps. They must have still smelled “new,” as much as a grand imperial palace can ever smell new. The building was, after all, completed just two weeks prior to this night. Alexander must have been nervous. Although he never mentioned his personal feelings about the incident in his memoirs, we do know he dreaded dealing with his father from a young age. Erratic, prone to fits of rage, and never one to give up a grudge, Paul was seen by his son as a petty tyrant. “Russia,” Alexander is famously quoted as saying, had become a “plaything for the insane” under his father’s thumb. However, he had been spurred into action by his companion the Admiral, and his message was urgent: there was a plot to depose the Emperor of all Russia.

The Conspiracy That Could Have Been

If Alexander did worry about his father’s potential reaction to the news, he was right to. After all, he had been in on the plot, and had reason to believe that Paul had known about his involvement. Peter Ludwig von der Pahlen— military governor of Saint Petersburg, governor of the Baltic provinces, close advisor to the Emperor, lead organizer of the plot to depose said Emperor, and many, many other things— had months earlier been forced by circumstance to reveal his plot. He had managed to convince Paul that he was a trusted servant, merely keeping an eye on the affair to warn him if it develops into something serious, but in doing so he had betrayed that Alexander knew of the plan. We have no way of knowing what Paul planned to actually do with that knowledge in regards to the succession, but it was a sticky situation for Alexander. Paul’s own explicitly irreversible decree had transformed Russia’s succession laws into a strict, semi-salic primogeniture system. With both that and the history of Romanov heirs in mind, Alexander had legitimate reason to fear that Paul was seeking to do something about his troublesome heir.

But Alexander and Pahlen hadn’t plotted alone. Count Nikita Panin, the Zubov brothers, and Admiral José de Ribas— the man beside Alexander that night— were among other important heads of the conspiracy, each man wary of their fortunes under such an eccentric ruler. The plan itself was simple. The conspirators were to lead an armed group of dismissed officers down through one of the palace gates, to Paul’s bedroom. They would be let in the building by disloyal officers of the Imperial Guard angry at constant drilling, strict oversight of their financial activities, and the inclusion of the impoverished, "low-status" Gatchina regiments in their ranks. Among many of the officers, their families had paid heavy sums to land them this position, and discontent was common even if the troops under their command generally liked Emperor Paul. Pahlen knew the passwords for the drawbridges, anyways, if any officer got cold feet. Once inside, the conspirators would force Paul to sign documents abdicating the throne in favor of his son, Alexander. They would rough him up if need be, but regicide (officially) was not in the cards. But, by the night of March 12, not everyone involved was quite so sure on that last part.

Poison is Only a Murderer's Tool

Months earlier, in December of 1800, de Ribas had been forced to have second thoughts. Before the plan could be carried out, he caught a particularly bad fever. He was visited by various members of the conspiracy to reschedule the timing and settle some details. However, after a visit from the Count von der Pahlen during which he was given warm tea, his symptoms became horrifically worse. He reported in his memoirs falling into a sort of heavy confusion the night after the visit, and described convulsions and a brief period of vomiting blood. Miraculously, he survived [2]. Historians debate whether or not Pahlen actually poisoned Admiral de Ribas, but the Admiral certainly believed so. Specifically, de Ribas believed that Pahlen had attempted to poison him out of fear that his fever may cause him to leak secrets about the conspiracy. It was weak logic, but he was sure that he was poisoned, and could not think of another reason.

De Ribas developed a personal vendetta against Pahlen, and quickly became convinced that the coup attempt was, in reality, an assassination. Nobody involved but himself and Grand Prince Alexander, he insisted to his grave, ever really expected the prideful, hot-tempered Emperor Paul to abdicate without a fight. He called for Alexander immediately after he recovered while feigning his continued illness, and told him of his fears. To Alexander’s credit, his stance on the plot seems to have completely shifted when he heard what de Ribas had to say [3]. It would seem that, while he believed his father should be deposed, killing him in cold blood was unthinkable. Either that was never Alexander's intention, and he was genuinely misled as to the nature of Romanov power struggles, or he got cold feet upon hearing the news from de Ribas. Either way, him and de Ribas both found themselves in a strange situation. Afraid for their lives if they tried to break up the conspiracy themselves (and knowing it had far too much momentum to stop now anyways), they hurriedly made plans to inform the Emperor in person.

The Warning Arrives

And so here they were. When they reached the bedroom and found Paul awake, de Ribas remarks in later writing that “[h]is eyes lit up at once with fiery indignation upon seeing his son and myself, but were set only to sad betrayal upon seeing [his Gatchina regiments].” It took a lot of convincing to ensure Paul that this wasn’t the deposition he had been fearing, but once he was informed of the reason for their visit, he was shaken to his core. De Ribas had brought extensive documentation implicating many of those involved at the highest level, including himself. However, he neglected to mention many figures we now know to be key to the plan, such as General von Bennigsen, and even Count Nikita Panin.

This neglect would be his doom. Though Paul (a fetishist for noble sacrifice if there ever was one) was lenient with him at first, offering him only exile, he was later imprisoned for many years on discovery of the whole truth. As for Alexander, the Emperor’s immediate response was shocking to everyone involved. The Grand Prince suffered no consequences in the slightest— no arrests or anything. While it is true that Alexander had put his own spin on events (claiming, for example, that Pahlen had lied to him and roped him in entirely against his will), the conciliatory response was still shocking to everyone involved.

The "Ides of Paul"

What wasn’t so conciliatory were the arrests made in the weeks after. Upon his return to the palace as part of his duties, Pahlen was captured by the Imperial Guard and thrown into prison. He was soon joined by fellow conspirators, including Count Panin, General von Bennigsen, General Yashvil, the Zubov brothers, officers of the Imperial Guard, and a great deal other important military men and statesmen of the court. Some of these men, such as the young Valerian Zubov, were only tangentially related to the plotters, without any currently-existing evidence linking them to the conspiracy, but were otherwise rivals of Paul. The Imperial Guard itself was also purged of dissent, and the Gatchina regiments rose even further in rank and importance.

These mass arrests, known to historians as the “Ides of Paul” or “Pauline Ides” (coined due to many of the arrests— especially those among the inner court circle— occurring on the 15th of March), were followed by long periods of torture, before the inevitable executions. Paul was determined to rat out any and all accessories to the crime as planned. Though many of the men were executed, Pahlen himself was strangely sent to far off Siberia instead, where he was sentenced to hard labor in the katorga system. He would die only two years later, from an unknown disease. Some say he was poisoned, either by de Ribas or perhaps even Alexander himself, as an act of revenge or fear that he would continue to spread word of Alexander's true involvement as a conspirator. Most historians believe this is an apocryphal myth meant to tie a pretty bow around loose ends, but the possibility remains intriguing (even being famously presented as truth in the French opera La femme du Tsar).

After extensive torture, Nikolay Zubov (one of the Zubov brothers together with Platon Zubov— Catherine the Great’s former lover— and among the most prominent masterminds of the plot), shouted that the British ambassador in Saint Petersburg— Lord Whitworth— was involved in the plot as well [4]. Zubov claimed that the ambassador had provided the plotters with all the necessary funds to allow the conspiracy to operate: funds provided directly from the British government. It is a matter of historical debate as to whether or not Whitworth really was involved, and if so, to what extent. It is well-documented that Nikolay and Platon Zubov’s sister, Olga Zherebtsova, was Lord Whitworth’s lover. And, it is known that most if not all of the planning and decision-making for the deposition was made at Zherebtsova’s house. However, the involvement of the British government itself in the plot is still unknown, and no documentation has been recovered to prove Whitworth’s financial involvement, though his romantic involvement with Zherebtsova is agreed upon as true by most historians.

Despite the lack of hard evidence, Zubov’s confession under torture was enough proof for Emperor Paul. This confirmed all of his worst suspicions. Ever since Horatio Nelson refused to surrender Malta to the Knights Hospitaller (of which he was the protector and Grand Master) after the British reconquest of the island from Napoleon’s clutches, he had treated the British with suspicion at best [5]. In September of 1800, he had cut off all diplomatic ties with the British and imposed an embargo on all two-hundred English ships stationed in Russian ports. And now they send assassins for his head? This new affront against his rule, and potentially even his life, settled things. Not only was it a diplomatic breach, but it was a decidedly unchivalrous one.

For Paul, the days of Anglo-Russian friendship were over.

paul winter army parade.jpeg

A military parade in St. Petersburg under Paul I. Soon, parades would be a rare sight once again.

[1] You might think this is the PoD, but not quite. Hold your horses.
[2] Still not quite the PoD, but it kind of sort of is— maybe. I’m assuming a lot of things here, leaning towards the more scandalous and… fun assumptions. There’s a lot of mystery surrounding the assassination of Paul I, and one theory holds that de Ribas really was poisoned by Pahlen to shut him up. This being true isn’t really necessary for the actual PoD, or for the TL in general, but I thought it was a much more dramatic and fun way to go about it.
[3] This is the PoD! What I am fairly sure of in all the mystery surrounding the assassination is that, despite later Romanov propaganda, Alexander was pretty deep in the mud during the course of the plotting. While he might have only been tangentially aware of it, I struggle to believe that. He had every incentive to depose his father, and no incentive not to— that bit about Pahlen informing Paul of the plot against his rule is OTL.
[4] I’m less sure of whether or not Whitworth or the Birtish government was involved. While it does seem pretty open and shut to me that he was the lover of the Zubov brothers’ sister (who was instrumental in helping to organize the plot), his actual financial involvement seems iffy, much less any financial involvement that the British government itself actually knew of. So, I’m leaving that bit very open to interpretation— Paul certainly interpreted it in a very specific way!

[5] The role appealed to his romantic sensibilities about chivalry and his earlier childhood fantasies, and he took his role as Grand Master seriously. When he was ceremoniously inducted into the order as Grand Master, historian Evgeny Karnovich wrote that observers saw “tears of pleasure” in his eyes. He even installed the Maltese cross in the Russian Empire’s emblem! The island’s seizure had been the reason he had joined the alliance against Napoleon to begin with, and the refusal to return it to the Knights had been among the reasons he left, alongside other disputes.

Last edited:
If anyone has any feedback, critiques, or suggestions feel free to add! I'd love to hear even if you just like the idea, getting comments is always encouraging for wanting to continue a TL. :)
(EDIT: Oh, and if someone could explain threadmarks that would be really baller, i have no idea how that's supposed to work but I know they're super useful to sort through TLs).

The scope of the timeline is going to be exploring a world where the Napoleonic Wars as we know them don't occur, and instead where the European continental order is completely thrown on its head (by France and Russia, of course, if the title isn't clear enough haha). I plan to hop around in focus across Russia, France, Britain, the US (and other places like Haiti or China when appropriate). I don't have a hard end date planned, especially as it's a TL that's going to try to explore the long-term knock-on effects of something like this for the world order, not just geopolitically but also culturally, technologically, and ideologically.

No promises on regular updates, but I'll try. This will give me something to do with some free time I've had lately. Anyways, hope you enjoyed! Paul surviving is going to be a bumpy ride for Russia, that's for sure. (Not to even mention poor Britain!)

Oh I am very much looking forward to this...gotta say, I'm not incredibly knowledgable on this part of Russian history, but you seem to have put alot of effort and thought into your PoD. Looks solid to me!

Paul is going to be a spanner in the works, that's For sure!

Can't wait to See the French and Russian Empires working together!

If anyone has any feedback, critiques, or suggestions feel free to add! I'd love to hear even if you just like the idea, getting comments is always encouraging for wanting to continue a TL. :)
(EDIT: Oh, and if someone could explain threadmarks that would be really baller, i have no idea how that's supposed to work but I know they're super useful to sort through TLs).

The scope of the timeline is going to be exploring a world where the Napoleonic Wars as we know them don't occur, and instead where the European continental order is completely thrown on its head (by France and Russia, of course, if the title isn't clear enough haha). I plan to hop around in focus across Russia, France, Britain, the US (and other places like Haiti or China when appropriate). I don't have a hard end date planned, especially as it's a TL that's going to try to explore the long-term knock-on effects of something like this for the world order, not just geopolitically but also culturally, technologically, and ideologically.

No promises on regular updates, but I'll try. This will give me something to do with some free time I've had lately. Anyways, hope you enjoyed! Paul surviving is going to be a bumpy ride for Russia, that's for sure. (Not to even mention poor Britain!)
Very interesting. If you want a comment, the story about the soldiers being mistreated seems to be mostly a post-Paul propaganda: there were contemporary comments about him actually being liked because food in St-P garrison greatly improved and, while drill was there, the soldiers were not necessarily worse off than in CII times when the officers tended to treat them as their own serfs and had been stealing everything that was not nailed. BTW, Paul introduced the winter coats instead of the capes inherited from Peter.

As for a bumpy ride, AI made it much bumpier than Paul and the surviving French alliance would eliminate quite a few of the biggest bumps like losing few hundred thousands able-bodied males, impoverishing country by the expensive unnecessary wars and saddling RE with Congress Poland.

Oh I am very much looking forward to this...gotta say, I'm not incredibly knowledgable on this part of Russian history, but you seem to have put alot of effort and thought into your PoD. Looks solid to me!
Its always to see a thread about Russian Empire. Subscribed dear author!
While I am of course going to focus on the Russian Empire in some chapters (and quite a lot of them at that), I hope to explore the world in general from the PoD. This is honestly mostly an experiment in a “Napoleonic victory” timeline where the wars as we know them don’t even occur. That said, this PoD definitely have huge immediate effects for Russia specifically. Paul was an… interesting character, and his position on the throne is still not safe or secure, not in the slightest. Things will get bumpy.

Very interesting. If you want a comment, the story about the soldiers being mistreated seems to be mostly a post-Paul propaganda: there were contemporary comments about him actually being liked because food in St-P garrison greatly improved and, while drill was there, the soldiers were not necessarily worse off than in CII times when the officers tended to treat them as their own serfs and had been stealing everything that was not nailed. BTW, Paul introduced the winter coats instead of the capes inherited from Peter.

As for a bumpy ride, AI made it much bumpier than Paul and the surviving French alliance would eliminate quite a few of the biggest bumps like losing few hundred thousands able-bodied males, impoverishing country by the expensive unnecessary wars and saddling RE with Congress Poland.
I hoped you might like it! That's interesting about the soldiers— most of the sources I read seemed to either include that detail or not mention them at all. How else did the plotters plan on entering the palace without the soldiers' assistance? I agree that Paul's army reforms in general were more heavily-maligned than they should have been, but I wasn't aware that the Imperial Guard itself was mostly happy with him.

And yes, it will likely be smoother internationally for a short while. I just do not believe that the French alliance was built to last. But I was also referring to Paul's domestic reforms and personal safety, which both remains precarious. It is interesting to think how he might have behaved if his worst fears came true— lots of ways to potentially go with this.

Last edited:
Hopefully Paul will hold on through those bumps, and i cannot wait to see his interactions with Nappy!

Last edited:
While I am of course going to focus on the Russian Empire in some chapters (and quite a lot of them at that), I hope to explore the world in general from the PoD. This is honestly mostly an experiment in a “Napoleonic victory” timeline where the wars as we know them don’t even occur. That said, this PoD definitely have huge immediate effects for Russia specifically. Paul was an… interesting character, and his position on the throne is still not safe or secure, not in the slightest. Things will get bumpy.

I hoped you might like it! That's interesting about the soldiers— most of the sources I read seemed to either include that detail or not mention them at all. How else did the plotters plan on entering the palace without the soldiers' assistance?

The soldiers “assistance” was not required. They were trained to act upon orders of their commanders without thinking. The only episode when one of the plotters tried to make a speech almost ended in a disaster: the soldiers started rumbling because Paul was popular. So the officer in question just started commanding and they followed the orders. Most of the plotters were active (not retired) officers of the Guards including those guarding the palace.
I agree that Paul's army reforms in general were more heavily-maligned than they should have been, but I wasn't aware that the Imperial Guard itself was mostly happy with him.

Soldiers but not necessarily the officers. The officers during the reign of CII had a free ride but this almost automatically means that the soldiers were mistreated and the money for their upkeep misused.

And yes, it will likely be smoother internationally for a short while. I just do not believe that the French alliance was built to last.

Why not? The French and Russian economic and geopolitical interests mostly were not mutually-contradictory. A potential problem was that they had little in common either. What’s unlikely is a prolonged Russian-British confrontation because the mutual economic interests were quite serious. But, with Sweden being a part of the 2nd Neutrality League, situation becomes very “interesting” for Britain leaving it without two main suppliers of the critical strategic materials and continued Nelson’s activities on the Baltics would make the problem worse in a long term if he managed to piss off both Russia and Sweden on a national level with the idiotic attacks.

Of course, the interests were mutual but in OTL between Tilsit and 1812 Russia survived just fine and even had a noticeable bump in the domestic production while the lower classes benefitted from the lower bread prices.
But I was also referring to Paul's domestic reforms and personal safety, which both remains precarious. It is interesting to think how he might have behaved if his worst fears came true— lots of ways to potentially go with this.
Indeed. One of the possibilities is that, with the plot failed, a new one becomes simply impossible because you are going to replace Paul with whom? The only legitimate option is Alexander and he is now out of question. Paul, as one option, may get assured that the Deity is personally watching for his well-being while another option is a complete paranoia. Then again, these attitudes would predominantly impact the immediate surrounding and who within it was not a complete scumbag without any outstanding talents?
OTOH, even much (and to a great degree justly) maligned Arakcheev was a professional who greatly contributed to improvement of the Russian artillery in the early 1800s. So the pros and contras are a rather grey area.

The soldiers “assistance” was not required. They were trained to act upon orders of their commanders without thinking. The only episode when one of the plotters tried to make a speech almost ended in a disaster: the soldiers started rumbling because Paul was popular. So the officer in question just started commanding and they followed the orders. Most of the plotters were active (not retired) officers of the Guards including those guarding the palace.
That makes a ton of sense, actually. I'll make a few minor edits (this obviously doesn't change the PoD itself much, if at all).

Why not? The French and Russian economic and geopolitical interests mostly were not mutually-contradictory. A potential problem was that they had little in common either. What’s unlikely is a prolonged Russian-British confrontation because the mutual economic interests were quite serious. But, with Sweden being a part of the 2nd Neutrality League, situation becomes very “interesting” for Britain leaving it without two main suppliers of the critical strategic materials and continued Nelson’s activities on the Baltics would make the problem worse in a long term if he managed to piss off both Russia and Sweden on a national level with the idiotic attacks.

Of course, the interests were mutual but in OTL between Tilsit and 1812 Russia survived just fine and even had a noticeable bump in the domestic production while the lower classes benefitted from the lower bread prices.
Oh, for sure. Part of the impetus for this TL was my realizing that Russian and French interests at this time really had a lot in common, and it was just ideology and existing alliance networks and the like that kept it from happening, alongside Russian leadership's worries about exported "Jacobinism." But what if these old alliances were shattered, and what if ideology mattered less, at least for a time? I just don't see ties too strong with France going over well with the already-testy nobility, especially so suddenly and on the tail end of violent arrests of many prominent nobles.

I agree on the unlikelihood of a realistic prolonged conflict with Britain under Paul— Russia's economy was heavily reliant on British friendliness to trade, and I don't think he would be in as strong a position as his son was IOTL to start and continue a war that the nobility would be so hostile towards. But you're on the right track mentioning Sweden, Nelson, and the North Sea in general. Diplomatic exchanges from Britain with the North Sea powers were very tense at this time, for obvious reasons. Copenhagen calls...

Indeed. One of the possibilities is that, with the plot failed, a new one becomes simply impossible because you are going to replace Paul with whom? The only legitimate option is Alexander and he is now out of question. Paul, as one option, may get assured that the Deity is personally watching for his well-being while another option is a complete paranoia. Then again, these attitudes would predominantly impact the immediate surrounding and who within it was not a complete scumbag without any outstanding talents?
OTOH, even much (and to a great degree justly) maligned Arakcheev was a professional who greatly contributed to improvement of the Russian artillery in the early 1800s. So the pros and contras are a rather grey area.
I don't think Alexander is entirely out of the question, but any plot will certainly be wary from now on to include him in any decision-making. If there is another, the Grand Prince will be last to know about it. But again you may be right— another plot would be far more difficult, especially since Paul's policy towards the nobility after the plot was discovered has so far been draconian and paranoid, arresting even people who weren't directly involved according to Alexander and de Ribas.

I was under the impression that Arakcheyev was already fired and disgraced at this point after the financial scandal involving his brother? Sure Paul was mercurial about these sorts of things, and there are some openings he could fill, but I can hardly imagine he trusted Arakcheyev very much at this point (and trust has become very important in Saint Petersburg).

Last edited:
The idea of an alliance between Napoleon and Paul always interested me but I never had the knowledge either of Imperial France or Tsarist Russia to do it justice; glad to see this tl explore it

A better-off Napoleonic empire would have massive butterfly effects, especially in Portugal-Brazil (Assuming Napoleon still invades Spain)

So Paul stays in Power in Russia, this is interesting as this more, or less butterflies away Napoleonic wars in favour of prolonged Franco- British conflict , or maybe not because before Paul died British and League of Armed neutrality were kinda on war footing.

Tensions with the British were on the rise even before the assassination attempt, i believe Nelson was on a way towards Reval before Emperor Alexander made peace after he took the throne. Now this might change and significantly so because after attack on Denmark Prussia (member of League of armed neutrality) attacked Hannover in retaliation, this was of course stopped by Alexander, but with Paul still in charge and with relationship deteriorating even more quickly it's quite possible that we see Russian support towards Prussia in their endeavor.

Now I don't see Russia being directly invested in this conflict (because of significant trade with the British), but what I see is diplomatic support for Prussia, maybe even sending some limited military expedition (but nothing significant as Russia doesn't have a lot to gain in such a war) and Prussia is perfectly willing to do the dirty work itself (for obvious benefits).

Last edited:
So Paul stays in Power in Russia, this is interesting as this more, or less butterflies away Napoleonic wars in favour of prolonged Franco- British conflict , or maybe not because before Paul died British and League of Armed neutrality were kinda on war footing.

Tensions with the British were on the rise even before the assassination attempt, i believe Nelson was on a way towards Reval before Emperor Alexander made peace after he took the throne. Now this might change and significantly so because after attack on Denmark Prussia (member of League of armed neutrality) attacked Hannover in retaliation, this was of course stopped by Alexander, but with Paul still in charge and with relationship deteriorating even more quickly it's quite possible that we see Russian support towards Prussia in their endeavor.

Now I don't see Russia being directly invested in this conflict (because of significant trade with the British), but what I see is diplomatic support for Prussia, maybe even sending some limited military expedition (but nothing significant as Russia doesn't have a lot to gain in such a war) and Prussia is perfectly willing to do the dirty work itself (for obvious benefits).

Intresting. How do you expect things going with Sweden? In OTL Alexander I went war with Sweden for enforcing the country to participate continental blockade of Britain. Would Paul try same? If so Russia probably still would win this war.

That makes a ton of sense, actually. I'll make a few minor edits (this obviously doesn't change the PoD itself much, if at all).

Of course, the only serious game changer (besides personality of some modern jack of all trades being suddenly implanted into Paul’s brain) was him being saved by the Russian general Bonaparte but the book with this scenario is already written. 😉
Oh, for sure. Part of the impetus for this TL was my realizing that Russian and French interests at this time really had a lot in common, and it was just ideology and existing alliance networks and the like that kept it from happening, alongside Russian leadership's worries about exported "Jacobinism." But what if these old alliances were shattered, and what if ideology mattered less, at least for a time? I just don't see ties too strong with France going over well with the already-testy nobility, especially so suddenly and on the tail end of violent arrests of many prominent nobles.
To start with the end, arrests of the plotters would do no damage to the regime because they would be expected. Those uninvolved, including the close relatives, would try to distance themselves from the plotters and, look at this from a practical perspective, there will be open vacancies to fill. Russian nobility during period between between Peter I and Paul I developed very flexible backbones and the reign of CII, with its change of the favorites, was cherry on the top. For example, certain general Michael Kutuzov was making the morning coffee to Platon Zubov.

The French and Russian mutual interests in the terms of trade were minimal: Russia was buying some luxury items and France was buying close to nothing. The traditional contention points were: (a) PLC - gone and (b) Ottoman Empire - Bonaparte did everything in his power to spoil traditional relations and did not yet restored them. So no conflicts there. Ideological issues gone after Paul declared that “France got a monarch in everything but name”.

As for the old alliances, by the end of the 2nd coalition Paul (and Russian public opinion) was pissed off with Austria, accusing it in a betrayal, and relations with Britain soured as well; not only around Malta but because of the mistreatment of the Russian troops which participated in a failed Holland expedition: the Brits were accused in not supporting the Russians on a battlefield and for holding them during the winter in the terrible conditions on one of the Channel islands.

The only meaningful relations with Britain were economic based upon mutual interests but if certain British admiral tried to attack Kronstadt, then, at least for quite a while the national outrage will be a prevailing factor.
I agree on the unlikelihood of a realistic prolonged conflict with Britain under Paul— Russia's economy was heavily reliant on British friendliness to trade,
I’m afraid that you are slightly misplacing the priorities. For Russia trade with Britain was profitable but for Britain it was pretty much essential because Russia and Sweden had been responsible for the most of supplies needed for the navy: iron, timber, flax (and sailcloth), hemp (and the cables), tar, fat, etc. Britain was selling either colonial goods or some manufactured items which Russia could and did produce domestically (like fabrics). Big part of the exports could be consumed by the domestic market, which to a noticeable degree happened after Tilsit: within few years domestic textile production sharply increased. Trade with Britain was producing a positive balance but it amounted to a limited percentage of the state income and hardly was helping Russian economy because it was killing domestic manufacturing (even AI had to come with a protectionist tariffs). It was providing the landowners with an income but:
(a) A big part of this income had been routinely spent on purchasing the “luxury items” of which the main supplier was … France.
(b) Even by Paul’s time a majority of the Russian army and navy officers did not belong to the landowners families (by 1812 this category became minuscule) so the interests of this group were not critical for them, except for the Guards, and Paul was on a right track by transferring many of his Gatchina officers (mostly social nobodies) to the Guards.

So you can figure out who needed whom more.

and I don't think he would be in as strong a position as his son was IOTL to start and continue a war that the nobility would be so hostile towards.

See above about “nobility”. Not that the landowners were unimportant but their opinions were not excessively relevant except for those few in the court. And most of those at the court tended to consider the imperial power as the main source of their well-being: very few had been independently wealthy to a degree allowing them to be fully independent and even then, life outside the court meant that person in question and his children are losing a chance for a social advance. Pretty much as was at the court of Louis XIV.

Now, as far as nobility serving in the army was involved, war (if one is lucky to survive) was the best chance for getting promotion, be awarded with an order and even with a estate.

But you're on the right track mentioning Sweden, Nelson, and the North Sea in general. Diplomatic exchanges from Britain with the North Sea powers were very tense at this time, for obvious reasons. Copenhagen calls...

Yes. And besides being idiotic militarily, Nelson’s declared intention to attack Russian Baltic fleet at Kronstadt (you can easily find pictures of Kronstadt’s naval fortifications of that period), the action was moronic diplomatically: even ASB-backed attack on St-Petersburg (I doubt that without their help he would get there) would not produce the same effect as Copenhagen bombardment. Actually, the effect would be opposite.

I don't think Alexander is entirely out of the question, but any plot will certainly be wary from now on to include him in any decision-making.

Look, the plotters got lucky once and mostly because they had been lead by a person responsible for capital’s security. Paul was intelligent enough to make the arrangements preventing repetition of this scenario and a moral effect of the failure would most probably prevent the repetition anyway.

If there is another, the Grand Prince will be last to know about it.

Like in the Russian proverb, “got me married without me knowing”. 😂 Unlikely, especially taking into an account that the conspirators were, since the coup of Elizabeth, quite lousy in keeping their intentions secret (heavy drinking was a mandatory part of a process). It was always government’s unwillingness to pay attention and to act.

But again you may be right— another plot would be far more difficult, especially since Paul's policy towards the nobility after the plot was discovered has so far been draconian and paranoid, arresting even people who weren't directly involved according to Alexander and de Ribas.

This would be fine with a public but I’m afraid that you are missing something important about Paul’s character: he was obsessed with justice so I’d not expect any wide-spread repressions. The suspects could be arrested but they would be released and perhaps even compensated. Torture part is, AFAIK, outdated at least for the nobility.
I was under the impression that Arakcheyev was already fired and disgraced at this point after the financial scandal involving his brother?
Yes, in 1800. But he was already demoted in 1798 and reinstated in 1799 so I would not make too much of it. AI restored him in 1803.
Sure Paul was mercurial about these sorts of things, and there are some openings he could fill, but I can hardly imagine he trusted Arakcheyev very much at this point (and trust has become very important in Saint Petersburg).
Irrelevant: I was talking about his qualifications as artillery specialist.