The Dream That Changed The World

It even took several generations for God to be named “God” as the old creator god; “Nzambi Mpungu” had a strong following to simply fill the Christian God spot (missionaries and Kongo clergy put an end to that by 1250).​

??? named "God"? In Latin? or Engish? I don't understand. Usually when Christianity went into a new location, it used the local word. "God" in English, "Bog" in Russian/other slavics, (Gitche) Manitou (various Algonkian languages), etc. What is the problem here?

Congregations would often sit on the ground or on logs, a far cry from the orderly straight-backed pews of Europe.
Oops
http://www.articlesbase.com/spirituality-articles/church-pews-history-and-spirituality-514757.html said:
Pews were non-existent in the medieval times and since then they have gradually evolved.

They were not in existent as in those times congregations were held standing. The important feature of churches in those times was their dome at the top. This was part of the centralized architectural plan of the architects of those times. The church designers usually based their plans solely on one structure or shapes like circular, polygonal or square shaped.

Gradually the pews came into existence and in the period between 1600 and 1800, when everything was about social stature, pews were also used to distinguish between the various social classes. They were a dominant feature in the church just to serve this sole purpose.

The alters, chalices, and crucifixes, often the only pieces of gold or art work in many European villages, were little more than wooden cups on crudely carved rocks (though Kongo goldsmiths would make great fortunes creating African chalices and ornamentation).
rural churches in Europe might be much the same, if there wasn't a lord funding it. Lots of wood carving, say, if the peasants could do that.
Grape based wine was impossible to come by for communion and was substituted with palm based wine traditional in Kongo society known as malafu ya ngasi, or just malafu for short.
I'm not sure what measures were taken in e.g. Anglo-Saxon England or e.g. Novgorod, but I doubt communion was necessarily done in Grape wine there. Moreover, RCs usually do communion in 1 kind (i.e. just the host), (at least for the parishioners).

For instance in late 1173, King Nwene Mbata took the name King Thomas Mbata at the insistence of Charles to take a Christian name. Truthfully, by this time Charles was meeting hundreds if not thousands of Kongoese a year and made it a point to remember names, not an easy task for a German monk to learn hundreds of traditional African names. He figured, in a shrewd move, that if Mbata took a Christian name many Africans would do the same; something he would prove correct.
But while Charles was merely interested in religious affairs, King Thomas had to deal with the tribal chiefs and consolidation of his own power in his kingdom.​
While many missionaries demanded 'Christian' names, others didn't. Look at Scandinavian lands or Ireland, where the old names totally overwhelm the 'Christian' ones. It may have in part depended on how much political power the missionaries had. So, one could go either way here.

??? named "God"? In Latin? or Engish? I don't understand. Usually when Christianity went into a new location, it used the local word. "God" in English, "Bog" in Russian/other slavics, (Gitche) Manitou (various Algonkian languages), etc. What is the problem here?

The problem here is that this isn't pagan Europe, this is arguably the world's first overseas missionary expedition of this organization and caliber. Charles and the gang recognizes that you can't have half the still animist population of the Kongo worshiping a creator god while the Christians worship their new God, but using the old god's name. It's just asking for trouble so Charles puts an end to it by using the Latin name.

Now if the latin name for God isn't God, then my apologies. I'm under the impression that God is the name used in the romance as well as Germanic languages, not just english.

Oops indeed. Am I really supposed to know the history of the pew?

rural churches in Europe might be much the same, if there wasn't a lord funding it. Lots of wood carving, say, if the peasants could do that.

I'm not sure what measures were taken in e.g. Anglo-Saxon England or e.g. Novgorod, but I doubt communion was necessarily done in Grape wine there. Moreover, RCs usually do communion in 1 kind (i.e. just the host), (at least for the parishioners).

True, but many of these monks come from central europe and France. I'm under the impression that these were the richer churches that did have ornate objects and access to grape wine. So lack of shiny things and grape wine would be a bit of a shock to them, though not necessarily a bad thing for spreading the faith in the Kongo.

While many missionaries demanded 'Christian' names, others didn't. Look at Scandinavian lands or Ireland, where the old names totally overwhelm the 'Christian' ones. It may have in part depended on how much political power the missionaries had. So, one could go either way here.

Again, this isn't pagan Europe and Charles and the monks are operating under a tiny bit of an early imperialists mindset in that Europe and Christianity are better than what the Kongo have. Also as I mentioned, Charles' decision to ask the Mbata for Christian names is largely selfish in that he no longer can keep track of hundreds of different strange African names.

Chapter 6
To the River Kwilu

With consolidation largely complete but tenuous nonetheless, King Thomas Mbata needed something to prove to the other Kongo leaders and chiefs that he was worthy of his title and a hereditary dynasty. As with much of history, the best way to accomplish such goals was through conquest and glory.

However Mbata needed a target. The Teke where to far to the north and enjoyed relatively amicable trade relations with the Baka who were nominal Catholic allies of the Kongo. They also inhabited the thickest parts of the jungle which would make warfare a disaster and the spoils expensive to maintain and the land relativley worthless. Distant missions into Mongo territory along the Kongo River by a few monks and some Kongo clergy was proving very successful and besides this land was to far away as well.

The obvious target would be the Yaka and Luba peoples that inhabited the rich Kwilu and Lulua River basins. In addition to historic tensions between the two peoples, the Yaka and Luba were not converting fast enough to satisfy both St. Charles and Mbata. However the Luba and Yaka would fight together in such a war and the Luba had extensive blood allies, especially with the Lunda of the upper Kwilu River and the Chokwe of the upper Zambezi River.

Thomas feared that this might be a case of him biting off more than he could chew. Despite access to crude knockoffs of European technology and tactics, which gave him a some advantage, much of this war would come down to manpower. The Luba-Yaka would be able to put more warriors on the ground and more directly threaten the confined Kongo Kingdom than the other way around.

After some thinking, Thomas realized he had an ace in the hole by chance. In early 1176, near the ten year anniversary of the European arrival, a monk and three Kongo clergymen arrived at the capital of Mbanza Kongo with tales of conversion success amongst the Mbundu peoples to the nearby south. Seeing an opportunity for an alliance, Thomas pledged several dozen new clergy to the Mbundu to completely bring them into the Catholic fold. Thomas had to continue patiently waiting and hoping the Kongo chiefs didn’t rise up against his position.

While the long and tricky process of converting was underway at fever pitch to the south, Thomas kept himself busy at home consolidating his kingdom and the House of Mbata. It was during this time that Thomas began to make some reforms to the kingdom with the intention of elevating his people from mud and huts into something that would rival a European kingdom when the time to reestablish contact came. A shrewd move considering that contact was coming sometime in the future and his kingdom would need aces in the hole when it came to dealing with the Papacy.

The biggest initial reforms came with land reforms and the institution of Kongo nobility.

Over the years the chiefs, elders, and kandas (houses) of the Kongo people had caught up with Thomas’ rapid rise to prominence. All had adopted Catholicism, their warriors were beginning to be equipped with crude European weapons, and their lands were becoming more centralized under their various kandas in a rough form of African feudalism. Of these, several kandas, the Kziliu, Mvika, and Lazani all came to be real rivals of the Mbata kanda. These kandas had achieved their current powerful status way back in the late 1160’s when Thomas united them under his kingship and granted them levels of autonomy. In European terms (which would be imported later as the situations grew more complex) they became essentially ducal houses; lower than the House of Mbata on the newly budding nobility scale but still quiet higher than the counts and minor nobles below. It is amazing to see that how, almost as soon as the monks left the boat, the fracturing and complexities of the region that would characterize it for decades began to be laid down.

Regardless of the internal complexities, by late 1178 the conversion of the Northern Mbundu was largely entrenched. Family alliances and deals between their leaders and Thomas proved fruitful. Warriors had been pledged and an army raised. In early 1181, the Catholic forces of the Kongo and the MPemba tribe of the Mbundu people entered Yaka tribal lands and war had begun.

1178Map.png

The Situation in the Kongo on the eve of the First Kongo-Yaka War.
NOTE: Marq. of Kziliu and Mvika have been changed to duchies.

An amazing timeline you have here!
And a very original concept, too.
I'm already looking forward to the next installment.

Very neat stuff. Developing Sub-Saharan Africa will be cool in and of itself, but the European butterflies should also be pretty substantial.

@Dathi: the Slave posts had about 30% per annum death rate amoung europeans, which they mitigated by reducing staff at the worst times of year.

As to the TL, if the monks stay at the mouth of the Kongo (which isn't actually an important area at all due to the marshes and how terrible the river is up to Pool Malebo (after which it starts to be useful for transport) the Luezi River mouth is vastly more important to the Kongolese), they'll be dead within months as its a pestilent hell. However if they quickly relocate to M'Banza Kongo and the other highlands, which are elevated and drier, they'll be quite comfortable and a good bunch of them will make a few decades (And a few luckily resistant ones will survive to old age).

The problem here is that this isn't pagan Europe,
But weren't your monks coming from north Germany where they would have been heavily exposed to the stories of the conversions of the pagans just a couple of centuries ago to their north and on-going at the moment to their east?

Now if the latin name for God isn't God, then my apologies. I'm under the impression that God is the name used in the romance as well as Germanic languages, not just english.
Ummm... No.
Deus in latin, Deo (IIRC) in most Romance tongues, Dieu in French ('cause they have to be different).
I know several instances of missionaries using the local word for God in their evangelization efforts, I do not know of any instance where they didn't.

Oops indeed. Am I really supposed to know the history of the pew?
Only if you refer to it in your TL:) One of the ?joys? (depending on how one takes correction), is the vast amounts of obscure knowledge that people on this site have. My own TL has had to shift course a couple of times when someone says 'But according to the XXX Act of 1739, ...'

Actually, when I found out about this (a local church was doing some remodeling and removed its pew, and made a comment about 'well of course this is how they USED to do it') I was pretty amazed.

True, but many of these monks come from central europe and France. I'm under the impression that these were the richer churches that did have ornate objects and access to grape wine. So lack of shiny things and grape wine would be a bit of a shock to them, though not necessarily a bad thing for spreading the faith in the Kongo.
Oh, grape wine, certainly. I THINK you'd be surprised to see what a period church in a peasant village looked like, even 20 miles from Paris.

I had the distinct impression your monks were from North Germany (my image was from Hansa cities), not from Central Europe or France. Not that that really affects this argument, but it does the earlier one. (Of course, my impressions have been known to bear little relation to what was actually written on occasion.)

The Latin is Deus. For Christ, it is Iesus Christus, and for the Holy Spirit, it is Spiritus Sanctus. Tex, this might be helpful since this time line is in the High Middle Ages and liturgical Latin is king:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Whitaker's_Words

Or just ask someone on the board who knows the language. Should be quite a few *hint hint*.

You're absolutely right; in fact, there were major issues in Malaysia when a Catholic Newspaper used the word Allah in reference to the Christian God. But yes, Catholic's tend to use the name of God in the local language, except if the Latin Mass is being celebrated, of course (which will be standard in Africa for the next several centuries, ITTL).

Overall, I am liking the idea, both its originality and the direction it is heading. Onwards, spread Christendom across sub-Saharan Africa.

Overall, I am liking the idea, both its originality and the direction it is heading. Onwards, spread Christendom across sub-Saharan Africa.
True, true. The fact that some of us are finding picky details is a GOOD thing (as much as it might not feel that way). It means we want the TL to be plausible and work.

This is a very original PoD, and you're doing good stuff with it. Keep up the good work.

I love everyone involved. This is excellent, not enough Africa threads and it's refreshing to see one.

@Dathi: the Slave posts had about 30% per annum death rate amoung europeans, which they mitigated by reducing staff at the worst times of year.

As to the TL, if the monks stay at the mouth of the Kongo (which isn't actually an important area at all due to the marshes and how terrible the river is up to Pool Malebo (after which it starts to be useful for transport) the Luezi River mouth is vastly more important to the Kongolese), they'll be dead within months as its a pestilent hell. However if they quickly relocate to M'Banza Kongo and the other highlands, which are elevated and drier, they'll be quite comfortable and a good bunch of them will make a few decades (And a few luckily resistant ones will survive to old age).

Thanks for pointing that out Nugax. I’ve actually be retooling some things (they’ve yet to be posted but the effort is made) after Dathi got me thinking that I might be taking a few to many liberties with European resistance to disease. Right now the main European clergy and Charles are at Mbanza Kongo, an elevated drier place in northern OTL Angola rather than the Kongo mouth swamps. The first while they had to spend at St. Victor will do a good job at rooting out those monks who might not have the resistance to survive Africa, leaving around 20-25ish (effectively halving the expedition). 10 of those guys would now be at Mbanza Kongo with the other 15ish out and about in the region.

Now I do have something in store for St. Victor, its just a spoiler if I say it now.

But weren't your monks coming from north Germany where they would have been heavily exposed to the stories of the conversions of the pagans just a couple of centuries ago to their north and on-going at the moment to their east?

Nah, I haven’t given thought to individual backgrounds to these 50 guys (40 monks, 10 sailors) outside of Charles and I believe one other who comes along later. Charles is from Soissons then walks south to Rome after deciding to go on his dream. Most of his monks will be along that southward route from western Germany-eastern France-northern Italy. Perhaps I’ll post a map with Charles’ walk to Rome. Now one or two (maybe 3) of these guys would probably have background in northern Germany but they wouldn’t have enough say to turn this into a Scandinavian conversion situation just in Africa (no matter how applicable such processes might be).

Ummm... No.
Deus in latin, Deo (IIRC) in most Romance tongues, Dieu in French ('cause they have to be different).
I know several instances of missionaries using the local word for God in their evangelization efforts, I do not know of any instance where they didn't.

Do’h! Of course. Must have had a brain fart or something. Then they would probably go with Deus over the old god for reasons I stated before. Just something Charles would push especially with the population split between Christians and old animist beliefs.

Only if you refer to it in your TL:) One of the ?joys? (depending on how one takes correction), is the vast amounts of obscure knowledge that people on this site have. My own TL has had to shift course a couple of times when someone says 'But according to the XXX Act of 1739, ...'

Actually, when I found out about this (a local church was doing some remodeling and removed its pew, and made a comment about 'well of course this is how they USED to do it') I was pretty amazed.

I suppose so, its just so random it hurts. What did Europeans sit on back then I wonder? Did they even sit? Where they even allowed in the church!? :confused::p

Oh, grape wine, certainly. I THINK you'd be surprised to see what a period church in a peasant village looked like, even 20 miles from Paris.

I had the distinct impression your monks were from North Germany (my image was from Hansa cities), not from Central Europe or France. Not that that really affects this argument, but it does the earlier one. (Of course, my impressions have been known to bear little relation to what was actually written on occasion.)

And in regards to the second statement, Charles is from Soissons which from my understanding is one of the grandest churches in the region at the time. And a good number of these guys would be from Italy and a few of the big churches in Germany. A religious culture shock to half and regular ole culture shock to the other half? :p

The Latin is Deus. For Christ, it is Iesus Christus, and for the Holy Spirit, it is Spiritus Sanctus. Tex, this might be helpful since this time line is in the High Middle Ages and liturgical Latin is king:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Whitaker's_Words

Or just ask someone on the board who knows the language. Should be quite a few *hint hint*.

You're absolutely right; in fact, there were major issues in Malaysia when a Catholic Newspaper used the word Allah in reference to the Christian God. But yes, Catholic's tend to use the name of God in the local language, except if the Latin Mass is being celebrated, of course (which will be standard in Africa for the next several centuries, ITTL).

True, true. The fact that some of us are finding picky details is a GOOD thing (as much as it might not feel that way). It means we want the TL to be plausible and work.

This is a very original PoD, and you're doing good stuff with it. Keep up the good work.

I love everyone involved. This is excellent, not enough Africa threads and it's refreshing to see one.

An amazing timeline you have here!
And a very original concept, too.
I'm already looking forward to the next installment.

Very neat stuff. Developing Sub-Saharan Africa will be cool in and of itself, but the European butterflies should also be pretty substantial.

I do thank you all for the comments and kind words. And your criticism, suggestions, and knowledge are most welcome. I’m just a little crabby and unresponsive at times with school starting to shift into high gear.

But I am very happy that everyone is enjoying this and I hope to keep things rolling! :p:D

Chapter 7
A House For All Africa

Excerpt from “The House of Mbata: A House for All Africa” by Dr. Henry Renault; University of Paris Press, © 1979

…What is most impressive about the House of Mbata in the early Kongo Empire is its ability to manipulate Kongo society and its environs almost unilaterally in its efforts to consolidate power. No aspect of the empire was safe from the house’s vast influence, religion, language, traditions, customs, even cuisine all saw changes lead by the Mbata with the sole purpose of gathering as much power as possible. Indeed the political maneuverings were so skilled and complex that historians today, including myself, are unsure if the Mbatan monarchs were brilliant, lucky, or victims of extremely unlikely circumstances.

The best answer seems to be all of the above. Thomas I used the random happenstance arrival of the European monks and St. Charles of Africa to become the champion of the faith and the new Kongo society in a gamble for power. He played his enemies off against each other and used the church as his medium for attacks or rewards for enemies or allies. As Thomas I’s cultural revolution in the Kongo region began to take hold it found itself fueled by three district groups each with their advantages and disadvantages.

The first group obviously is the European monks and Charles himself. These monks needed a leader and strong ally like Thomas to pave the way secularly for their spiritual work. The second group are those Christian converts that acted with great zeal that many newly converted people often do. These people fanatically supported Charles as he was virtually the only secular leader in the region who embraced them instead of pushed them away. Of course we know today that Thomas embraced them tentatively in the long run because their zeal often alienated moderate and more cautious Kongoese, but they made a good initial base for Thomas’ rise to power. The final group were those Kongoese who joined Thomas because he represented an immediate springboard to power. Kongo culture at the time was extremely traditional and conservative and the political aspects were dominated by elders that many young Kongoese saw as a roadblock to progress and wealth. Thomas represented an outlet to bypass the traditional routes to power and many young ambitious Kongoese took that bypass; so what if they had to swear fealty to Thomas as the new Manikongo, at least they would no longer have to wait in the wings for old backwards chieftains to die before being able to accomplish anything. And along the way many of these ambitious but moderate Kongoese would convert to Christianity and embraced Thomas’ counterculture as those aspects became the fad of the day and the religion and culture themselves maintained their Kongoese appearance and feel instead of acting as European cultural imperialism, a worse case scenario many Kongoese were afraid might come to fruition.

So through these distinct support bases Thomas was able to cultivate a cultural revolution in Kongo society. Using new schools of thought imported from the Europeans when it came to war Thomas was able to back up his efforts with military victories when necessary and brilliantly maintained a defensive image instead of that of a conqueror; once again staying moderate and making sure not to play to people’s fears of a de facto European invasion.

But the real impacts of the House of Mbata’s will came once Thomas I took the throne and was confirmed by his supporters and chieftains as the Manikongo. It is also interesting to see how the various members of the House of Mbata played their roles in changing Kongo culture. Thomas I acting as the foundation layer, dabbling in many aspects of Kongoese society but not going overboard on any one area. Thomas II proved to be a champion of the judiciary, laying down codified Kongo Law and enforcing a civil law of the land. John the Great would take this further and expand legal reforms and codification into the realms of land ownership and political hierarchy, two areas that remained contentiously vague until John’s reign.

We will start with the foundations laid down by Thomas I. While the legal proceedings and issues surrounding land ownership and reform didn’t occur until John the Great’s reign, Thomas I did actively practice a crude version of European feudalism with the concept of land ownership at the center. Until the arrival of the Europeans Kongoese lands, and indeed many lands in sub-Saharan Africa as a whole, were tribal in ownership and reflected the realities of low population density. A family unit would own a shelter and perhaps a garden in a village made up of several kandas (houses). All of the villages that were tribal Kongoese constituted the Kongo region. The forests and lands in-between were tentatively shared, but often times conflicted over, by the tribe as a whole for hunting, gathering, etc. Even in the village unit as is traditional in Kongo society, hospitality and closeness as of great importance so for many years personal property was a loose concept.

It was Thomas who used his power to reward supporters with land and confiscate property from enemies. In addition to their new lands Thomas delegated some powers and used these new nobles to run a region and raise supplies and warriors. It was at this time that the power structure of Kongoese nobility began to be established. The House of Mbata was at the top holding the title of Manikongo, below them were the three power houses of Lazani, Mvika, and Kziliu; the three houses Mbata would make ducal by granting extensive privileges to the heads of those houses as dukes. Below those three special houses lie several dozen barons awarded with some powers (though not as extensive as the dukes) and lands. At the bottom were those Kongoese that now resided on some nobles land and now owed an annual in-kind tax, normally a share of yams or some chickens depending on the harvest that year. These commoners owned unofficial fealty to their feudal lord but the most service they owed at first was giving themselves or a son to that nobles’ service when Mbata called on his nobles for warriors. In fact the system was so vague and new that the concept of being tied to the land didn’t yet exist and it wasn’t uncommon for commoners to shift from one noble’s land to the next depending on growing conditions and the severity of the tax.

Tithes and taxes in general were also loose concepts. The House of Mbata, theoretically as the holders of the Manikongo position, had the power to call on supplies and often exercised this privilege during times of war, which during the early days of the Kongo Empire was almost all the time. This in effect forced the nobles to up their calls for supplies from their commoners, thus this early in-kind tax was loose and constantly in flux and in very few places was the tax unreasonable. In addition the only people that owed a tithe to the church were the nobles themselves and even this was an unwritten code of honor to support the church and its effort and no one followed the rule of one-tenth; some like more traditional Barons barely gave a third while the rich House of Mbata frequently gave more than fifteen percent. This is highly contrary to Europe where everyone paid the tithe and it was required by law. The early Kongo Catholic Church, especially under Charles, was not strict on calling for tithes, indeed the church didn’t even truly have the structure to enforce or calculate such things early on nor very far from St. Victor, Mbanza Kongo, or an abbey.

In later chapters we shall discuss Thomas I’s brilliant use of European tactics to revolutionize African warfare and seeing as we have already covered the initial founding of the Kongoese Catholic Church, this is a good place to transition to the reforms of Thomas II…

And a final note for the day. I tried to go back and make some edits to Chapter 5 but the editing period has timed out. For those who care (I'm looking at you Dathi and Hunam :p), here were the planned changes...

There was also a big controversy over the name of God. There was tradition in Europe and elsewhere among Christians that the name of God often kept with the old name of a god that the newly converted people had used. An example being the name “Bog” in Slavic Russian regions for God. However many of the monks had no experience in converting pagan masses and Charles saw a real controversy and problem in having a portion of the Kongoese population use the name of the old creator god “Nzambi Mpungu” while the Christian population worshipped the Abrahamic God except using that same name. So Charles and the monks stressed the use of the name “Deus”, Latin for God and the word used in Rome proper, when referring to the Christian God. It was an accidental unprecedented move at the time by inexperienced monks operating in a remote part of the world, but it did work to an extent in separating Kongo society into the old animists and the new Christians. It would also set the tone for later missionary activity in Africa and elsewhere.

Early Kongo churches outside of the St. Thomas Cathedral at Mbanza Kongo and the abbey at St. Victor, were little more than crude wooden chapels. Congregations would often sit on the ground or on logs, a far cry from the relative order of a European church. The alters, chalices, and crucifixes, often the only pieces of gold or art work in many European locales, were little more than wooden cups on crudely carved rocks (though Kongo goldsmiths would make great fortunes creating African chalices and ornamentation). Grape based wine was impossible to come by for communion and was substituted with palm based wine traditional in Kongo society known as malafu ya ngasi, or just malafu for short. It truly was life on the frontier. Some monks from poorer marginal regions were used to this but for monks like Charles and a dozen others that were used to slightly more grandeur...it was culture shock ontop of the shock they were already in.

I suppose so, its just so random it hurts. What did Europeans sit on back then I wonder? Did they even sit? Where they even allowed in the church!? :confused::p
They stood, mostly.

Sitting for worship is relatively modern, especially for praying.
Think of some favourite hymns
"Sit on your duffs for Jesus, ye soldiers of the cross..." or
"Fall on your rears, oh hear the angels' voices...":):)