The Doughboy's Sweetheart.

Here's an idea that's been rattling around my skull. Worth continuing?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sho Sho Sweet – A look back at the M1917 “Chauchat”, the Doughboy’s Sweetheart.

Part 1. The Arsenal of Liberty.

As we approach the centenary of the entry of the U.S.A. into the Great European War, we are taking the time to examine some of the most iconic symbols of that war. Though US military involvement in the war only lasted some 628 days – April 6, 1917 to the Christmas Armistice in 1918 – it’s economic involvement began almost before Archduke Ferdinand corpse cooled. While it wasn’t the world’s biggest economic power in 1914, the agricultural and industrial might wielded by America was nonetheless impressive. From blankets to beans, shoes to shovels, trucks to tinned beef, the Entente soon beat a path to the “Emporium Americain”.

It was no surprise, then, when American gunmakers began to contract with the belligerents to supply rifles, handguns, and ammunition to supplement their increasingly strained domestic production. While America’s military arsenals only produced 25,000 rifles in 1914, Winchester alone churned out nearly 65,000 of their lever action rifles alone – not counting single shots, automatics, shotguns and smallbore rimfires. And they were not alone. New York and New England was full of arms companies - Remington, Marlin, Savage, Hopkins and Allen, Harrington and Richardson, Stevens, and scores of smaller manufacturers - many of whom were running at reduced capacity as a result of the Recession of 1913. In short, there was a demand for gun, and American industry was willing and more than capable of fulfilling it.

While a great deal has been written about America’s pre-war participation in the GEW, popularily referred to as the Arsenal of Liberty, we’re going to concentrate on the unlikely development and success of one of the most iconic weapons of the war, and it’s role in the following decade of turmoil in North America. By most accounts, the Remington-Chauchat M1917 should have been a complete failure. The original French Fusile Mitrallieur 1915 CSRG was at best problematic – the generally poor workmanship by non-gunmaking subcontractors and poor materials exacerbated some intrinsic design flaws. An open sided magazine allowed a direct path for mud, dirt, dust and debris to enter the weapons action – which was itself fairly complex. Heat treatment for many components was sub-standard, leading to premature wear and failure. Poor quality control in manufacturing led to a mass-produced gun that ironically required a great deal of skilled hand-fitting. Perhaps the most persistent design flaw was related directly to the gun’s long-recoil action.

Broadly speaking, automatic weapons can be broken down into three categories based on the method used to cycle the action. Blowback actions simply allow the weapon’s bolt to be pushed back by the same gas pressure that is pushing the bullet out – with some sort of delay to prevent the bolt from opening too quickly and exploding. Gas operated actions tap a small amount of the gas pushing the bullet out of the barrel to mechanically unlock and cycle the action. Recoil operated actions used the Newtonian reaction of the bullet being pushed out of the barrel – recoil – to mechanically unlock and cycle the action.

Recoil operated actions can be further broken down into short recoil mechanisms, where the recoiling parts only travel a short distance to unlock the action, the weapon relying on inertia of the working parts to complete the cycle. Long recoil actions, on the other hand, are fully locked for the entire first half of the firing cycle. Barrel and bolt travel together, locked, well over the length of the cartridge during extraction. At the fullest travel, the bolt is latched to the rear, and the barrel is pushed forward by a spring – exposing and ejecting the spent shell. Once it returns to it’s home position, the bolt is unlatched and is pushed forward by it’s own spring, stripping a fresh cartridge out of the magazine as it passes before locking.

The long recoil mechanism used in the Chauchat has some advantages, such as it’s relative insensitivity to ammunition quality and power. The long travel of the mechanical components absorbed a great deal of the recoil felt by the gunner, and the long travel also resulted in a very sedate rate of fire. This was a benefit, not only for control by the gunner, but because it mitigated the weapon’s horrendous tendency to overheat. The Achillies heel of the Chauchat was the bushing that supported the barrel at the front of the weapon. It needed to be fitted closely to the barrel to fully support it and assure some degree of accuracy. But during firing, the barrel would expand from heat and invariably sieze into the bushing, often in as few as 300 rounds. The Chauchat would be jammed solidly, until the barrel cooled enough to shrink to it’s original size. Early reports from French service describe soldiers urinating on the gun to hasten the cooling and get weapons back into action.

In spite of the faults, the CSRG 1915 did have two redeeming qualities. It was cheap, and it was easy to produce. As the saying goes, “Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.” And while far, far from perfect, cheap and plentiful firepower certainly looked good in 1915.

This probably would have been the Chauchat’s legacy – good enough, but never good. However, in late 1915, France sent a contingent to America to secure production of their Mle 1907/15 Berthier rifle. A simpler and more modern design than the Mle 1886 Lebel rifle, the Berthier rifle was in full production at French arsenals. Even so, attrition on the Western Front meant continual shortages of rifles – so much so that the French had purchased some 100,000 single-shot Rolling Block rifles from Remington to arm second-line troops and free up serviceable rifles for combat. Impressed by the quality and price of the Remington rifles, the French sought to have the Berthier rifles manufactured once the Rolling Block contract was filled.

The French contingent was made up of purchasing agents and government officials, along with armorers familiar with the Berthier design. Their job was to assess the capability of the American gun factories – fearful, perhaps, that making guns for combat was too much for makers of guns for cowboys. And so, in 1915, Colonel Charles Sutter – the “S” in CSRG – found himself touring Remington’s plant in Illion, New York. A last minute substitution, Sutter was never part of the Berthier commision. But he was a well-regarded senior armorer, and when the original armorer selected to travel to America was incapacitated by gout, Sutter was sent in his stead. In hindsight, it was serendipity.

During the tour of Remington’s plant, Sutter saw gunsmiths manufacturing hundreds of the Model 8 rifles and Model 11 shotguns. Designed by American gun designer John Browning, the Model 8 and Model 11 were the first truly practical semi-automatic sporting arms manufactured en masse – and they were the long-recoil operated. Indeed, Louis Chauchat had borrowed features from both during development of the CSRG 1915. Sutter immediately realized the implications – here was a firearms maker, fully familiar with automatic arms, mass producing them with exceptional quality. Immediately, he began to push back against having Remington contract to built Berthiers. “What will more quickly win this war?” he wrote, “200,000 rifles for 200,000 soldiers, or 200,000 machine rifles that equal 2,000,000 soldiers?” It was perhaps hyperbole, but the point was undeniable.

Despite resistance from some parts of the French ordinance department, Sutter returned to Remington in February of 1916 with blueprints and samples of the Chauchat. Initially, Remington’s engineers were lukewarm to the idea. As it stood, the Chauchat was actually below Remington’s ability to produce. It made extensive use of stamped parts and commercial tubing, neither of which Remington had much experience in. However, the allure of a lucrative military contract was enough for Remington to commit it’s best designer to the project: John Pedersen.

Immediately, Pedersen began to work with Sutter (through a translator) to “Americanize” the Chauchat. In a reversal of the normal scenario, forged parts were designed to replace stamped, and frame pieces were milled from solid steel instead of welded and brazed tubing. Metric dimensions were translated to English, and by April, Pedersen and Sutter had 50 pre-production samples ready for testing.

The prototypes overheated and jammed. The magazines were easily bent and damaged. Dirt constantly found it’s way into the gun, requiring frequent stops for cleaning. In short, it performed like a Chauchat, though they proved more durable and required much less hand fitting. Sutter was delighted. Pedersen was less so. The two argued about whether to improve the design, and delay it’s introduction to service, or start churning them out and fix the problems on the fly. In the end, good enough won out. By June, 12,000 CSRG 1915/R machine guns had been shipped to France, and hundred rolled out of Remington’s plant each day. They were well received by the French Army, being significantly more durable and reliable than the domestically produced Chauchats. As time went on, the influx of Remington Chauchats allowed the French to slow domestic production and improve the quality of the home-grown products. But these were always regarded as less desirable by line units, and the feeling was shared by the High Command. Evidence of this is borne out by the fact that, after the war, the when the French Army was discarding large numbers of surplus weapons, it kept the CSRG 1915/R for regular issue, and sold off the French built models entirely. By the end of the war, 300,000 Chauchats had been delivered – 210,000 of the Remington 1915/R, and the balance by various French manufacturers.

This could have been the end of the story, had it not been for some nosy Russian officers who was also in Illion purchasing rifles. Faced by worse shortages than the French, the Imperial Army was already contracting with Remington to manufacture the Mosin Nagant Model 1891 rifle – along with similar contracts with New England Westinghouse for the same rifles, and contracts with Winchester for their Model 1895 lever-action rifle, chambered in the Russian 7.62mm cartridge. At some point during early May of 1916, the Russians expressed interest in having Remington produce the Chauchat for them. At first, they were willing to simply have a portion of the French production diverted to them, but Pedersen saw an opportunity to improve the design. The Russians were skeptical at first, but when they saw Pedersen’s proposed improvements they enthusiastically agreed. By mid-June, the Russian prototypes were ready.

The most recognizable improvement was to the magazine. The open ports on the side were eliminated, thicker steel was introduced, and stiffening ribs stamped into the steel. The distinctive half-moon shape of the magazine was retained, because of the similar shape of the Russian 7.62mm cartridge to the French round. However, the slightly smaller diameter of the Russian shell allowed the magazine capacity to increase to 22 rounds, up from the original 20. 7.62mm barrels were chambered in the Russian cartridge, and the barrels were made slightly heavier with had longitudinal flutes to better dissapate heat.

Pedersen’s best improvement was hidden out of sight, but made all the difference. The problematic barrel bushing was redesigned, and the jams from overheating were almost eliminated. Pedersens new bushing still supported the barrel fully, but instead of being a basic cylinder in shape, it had two semi-spherical knobs in it’s inside bore, oriented to the top of the gun. A a third knob was located in the bottom of the bushing, centered between the upper knobs. The bottom knob was spring loaded, and put constant pressure on the barrel upwards. This centered the barrel consistently between two fixed points, yet was able to accommodate the swelling of the barrel when heated. The semi-spherical bushings reduced friction in the mechanism, and similar relief cuts elsewhere reduced drag throughout.

The design improvements worked beyond anyone’s expectations. The reduced friction resulted in a slight increase in rate of fire – 270 rounds a minute for the Russian Model, compared to 250 rounds a minute for the standard CSRG. The closed magazine kept dirt out, and a spring-loaded dust cover kept the action covered when not in action. The new bushing actually improved accuracy, though extended firing would still see a change in point of impact because of heat distortion. The combination of the bushing and the fluted barrel that resulted in an elimination of heat seizures. The low rate of fire, small magazine capacity, and reloading time meant that heat buildup was less overall than similar weapons like the Lewis. It still wasn’t perfect, but it was a lot closer than before.

The Russians enthusiastically embraced to improved gun, and adopted it as the автомат Педерсен1916 (Automatic Rifle Pedersen 1916) or AP16, completely ignoring the French origin of the weapon. While it cost three times more than a Mosin Nagant and took three times longer to produce, the Imperial Army immediately ordered 50,000, and quickly increased the order to 200,000. Only a fraction of the Russian contract, perhaps 20,000, actually made it to Russia. By all accounts, the AP16 performed well on the Eastern Front. In spite of it’s complexity, it performed well in freezing temperatures. It was easy to operate, easy to transport and gave the Russian soldiers a much needed edge over their German and Austrian enemies. However, Russia was a mess by 1917, and the February Revolution dragged the country into chaos. Shipment of the remaining AP16’s, along with hundreds of thousands of Mosin Nagant rifles and millions of rounds of ammunition, was halted because of non-payment.

This proved a godsend. By April, America - whose entire army had only 600,000 rifles and 600 machine guns - was at war.

"Pedersen’s best improvement was hidden out of sight, but made all the difference. The problematic barrel bushing was redesigned, and the jams from overheating were almost eliminated. Pedersens new bushing still supported the barrel fully, but instead of being a basic cylinder in shape, it had two semi-spherical knobs in it’s inside bore, oriented to the top of the gun. A a third knob was located in the bottom of the bushing, centered between the upper knobs. The bottom knob was spring loaded, and put constant pressure on the barrel upwards. This centered the barrel consistently between two fixed points, yet was able to accommodate the swelling of the barrel when heated. The semi-spherical bushings reduced friction in the mechanism, and similar relief cuts elsewhere reduced drag throughout."

Good stuff! So where did you get the above bit? In fact, the whole is relatively technical for this board and the source of info has me curious.

The idea of a functioning Chauchat is interesting. I'll admit I've never thought about it because of the inherent advantages of gas operation over almost any form of recoil operation for military purposes (knife-style bayonets don't work if the barrel has to move, for example).

For the future, I personally doubt that long-recoil will become a larger factor in military weapons, although I do like the idea that a passable light machine gun could be introduced onto the Western Front early. I also don't see much of a move to adopt smaller calibers before the 1940s simply because contemporary powders weren't up to the necessary standard.

"Pedersen’s best improvement was hidden out of sight, but made all the difference. The problematic barrel bushing was redesigned, and the jams from overheating were almost eliminated. Pedersens new bushing still supported the barrel fully, but instead of being a basic cylinder in shape, it had two semi-spherical knobs in it’s inside bore, oriented to the top of the gun. A a third knob was located in the bottom of the bushing, centered between the upper knobs. The bottom knob was spring loaded, and put constant pressure on the barrel upwards. This centered the barrel consistently between two fixed points, yet was able to accommodate the swelling of the barrel when heated. The semi-spherical bushings reduced friction in the mechanism, and similar relief cuts elsewhere reduced drag throughout."

Good stuff! So where did you get the above bit? In fact, the whole is relatively technical for this board and the source of info has me curious.
The tri-lobed bushing? I made that up.

My dad was a metal shop teacher, part-time gunsmith, and voracious reader. Growing up, our house was overflowing with books – the old man would load up boxes with the discards from the high school and city libraries. There were always rifles being repaired in his shop, and the shelves were filled with books about the subject. I know a fair bit about the subject, although I confess I quickly lose interest with anything involving plastic, aluminum alloys or composites.

I work on diesel fuel systems now, and the level of precision is astounding. I work with parts that are fitted with 0.005mm clearances and have to operate under 26,000+ psi pressures… Good design and the right materials are key for any manufactured good.

The Chauchat has an awful reputation, which is not entirely undeserved. But a lot of the criticism comes from those old books, which I have found often have a jingoistic slant. In reality, it was good enough. Good enough to be pressed into service in the biggest military quagmire in human history. Good enough to be manufactured to the tune of 250,000 units during the war. Good enough to have special tactics devised to take full advantage of the portability. Good enough to become the most common machine gun in allied service (probably – I can’t figure out how many Vickers guns were actually made, but for some reason 200/week stands out in my memory).

As I alluded, the main failings were a combination of poor construction and compromised design. The long recoil system is nothing like ideal for a machine gun, but the basic mechanics of the design are adequate. The tri-lobe barrel sure seem plausible way to address heating and alignment issues at the same time.

Last edited:
I've actually a germ of a story going, a lot of it still pretty technical. Let's just say the 20's are still going to roar, but perhaps at a more sedate pace...

Well I hope that the germ will breed and grow. Best wishes when you may have time to write more.

Ah, I thought you had a background in weaponry. I was a Gunnermate (Ordnance Mechanic is the civilian term, although that doesn't nearly encompass all we did) for a couple decades. IIRC, the French managed to at least make the Chauchat useable, whereas the US ones were not nearly as good. I will try to remember where I read this, but no promises. I have to wonder if it has something to do with the conversion from metric to standard, as the Moisin Nagant's we made for Imperial Russia were also not terribly reliable when our troops tried using them during the Intervention. Many switched their rifles for Russian made Moisin's.

Part 2. A Bird in in the Hand...

On April 6, 1917 the Congress of the United States of America voted almost unanimously to declare war on Germany. The lead-up to the war is a story best left to another time, but it is without debate that America was entirely unprepared for the conflict it was about to join. The total size of the Army was less than 200,000 soldiers – around half of whom belonged to the Reserves or National Guard. 600,000 of the M1903 Springfield rifles were in armories, and production at the government arsenal in Springfield, Massachusetts was around 1000 rifles per month. In contrast, at this same time Remington, New England Westinghouse and Hopkins and Allen were producing a combined total of 3000 Mosin Nagant rifles for the Russian Imperial Army per day, in addition to around 2000 of the Chauchat-derived AP16 machine guns per week. By this time, the future of the Russian contracts was uncertain – the Czar had been deposed, and frankly nobody knew what who was going to replace them or if they would stay in the war at all. More to the point, nobody was actually paying for the equipment. In this light, the offer made by Remington and New England Westinghouse to supply Mosin Nagant rifles to the US Army at was only slightly self-serving.

Initially, the Army rebuffed the offer. It would take months to conscript and train an Expeditionary Army, and the arsenals at Springfield and Rock Island would be able to ramp up production by then to supply M1903 rifles to the army. There was some interest in purchasing rifles on hand to use for training and non-combat roles, but beyond that the Russian rifles were not considered desirable. Indeed, by May the Army arsenals had quadrupled their output, and work was in progress to put a modified British Pattern 14 rifle into production at Winchester and Remington, chambered in the American .30 cal cartridge.

However, in the early morning hours of Sunday, May 13th a fire began in the stockmaking building at the Springfield Arsenal. News reports blared headlines of German sabotage, and cast suspicion on anyone and everyone of German descent. Spies were reported everywhere, and mobs in New York broke windows out of hundreds of shops with names that were even remotely German sounding. While the true culprit was a linseed oil soaked rag that missed the refuse bin and spontaneously combusted, the end result was the same. The stockmaking building was badly damaged, most of the stockmaking machinery was destroyed and hundreds of thousands of seasoned walnut stocks and blanks had gone up in smoke. Three firefighters were killed when a portion of the brick wall collapsed and showed them with bricks and stone, but the fire was contained before it could spread to the other buildings at the Arsenal. It would take many months to begin producing rifles again.

In the course of one day, America’s feeble military production was halved. Production was increased at the Rock Island arsenal to make up for the loss, but it was nowhere near enough. Worse yet, by June reports were surfacing of high numbers of Rock Island manufactured rifles failing during proof testing or during training. In the haste to build more rifles following the disaster at Springfield, inadequately trained workers were botching the heat treatment process of the rifles receivers, leaving them brittle and prone to shattering with the shock of firing. In the wake of the reports, doubt began to set in that America could actually arm and field modern army at all. Congressional hearings were held while newspaper editorials lambasted Army leadership, specifically the Ordnance Department. In an editorial in the New York Times, a British General proposed that the American Army send soldiers to England and Canada unarmed and untrained, where they could simply fill up the ranks depleted by the slaughter in France. The idea was rebuffed, but not dismissed out of hand.

So when the presidents of Remington, New England Westinghouse, Winchester and Hopkins and Allen once again offered the Russian Contract weapons to the Army and were met indifference from the Ordinance department, they were disappointed. When the Army put forward a proposal to shut down all Russian contract production and re-tool to produce M1903 rifles instead, they were dumbfounded. Switching production over to M1903 rifles would take 6 months to implement, 6 months in which no rifles were produced at all. Arguing the point was fruitless – the Ordinance department insisted they would have M1903 rifles alone, or no rifles at all. This point of view was not shared by all members of the Army. General Pershing, who would be leading the AEF in France, was quoted as saying “I don’t give a damn if our boys shoot Germans with Russian rifles, and the Germans won’t either.” A full page ad in the New York Times placed by the rifle manufacturers stated

On one hand, we can manufacture the Ordinance Department’s favored rifle six months from today, and produce 2800 each day. On the other, we can supply today nearly 1 million new rifles, 100,000 machine rifles [referring to the Russian Contract AP16’s] and 25 million rounds of ammunition. In intervening six months, we can supply an additional 500,000 rifles, 75,000 machine rifles and millions of rounds of ammunition. These are not fanciful projections, indeed they are based on our current rates of production. These are not unproven or unserviceable weapons, leftover relics or rejected equipment. These are proven designs, in service with the largest army in the world, baptized in battles from the Arctic Circle to the Ottoman Empire.”

The ad caught the public’s attention, as well as that of members of Congress and, ultimately, President Wilson himself. A great deal of political wrangling occurred in the weeks after the fire and the Time’s ad. The yellow journalists of the period had a field day, publishing stories about recent draftee’s training with broomsticks substituting for rifles. The public was incensed by these stories, and pressure was brought to solve the “Rifle Crisis”. Ultimately, it was an open letter from Senator Frances Warren of Wyoming, a Civil War veteran, Medal of Honor winner, and (perhaps not coincidentally) General John J. Pershing’s father in law. In very blunt terms, he spelled out his ambivilance towards war, his acceptance of the Congressional vote, and his furor that bureaucratic ineptitude was keeping the army from being adequately armed. In one line, he stated

I have held and fired these “Russian Rifles.” While I find them a poor substitute for our own Springfield pattern, they have one quality that redeems them above reproach – they exist at this moment. Better we send our boys to battle with an imperfect tool they have trained on and are familiar with, than no tools at all and hope for the best.”

Senator Warren was less ambivalent towards the Russian Chauchats available.

There is no doubt that the European battlefield is dominated today by the Machine Gun, and to send our boys to battle without them be as negligent as to send them into a fight carrying the same broomsticks that they’ve trained with. A machine gun is worth its weight in gold. The Army currently possesses fewer than 650 machine guns of all sorts. Buying the Russian Contract weapons would increase this number a hundredfold overnight, and our New Army could prepare for the battle of today, not that of their grandfathers.”

In the end, it was required a direct order from President Wilson to initiate purchase the Russian Contract and begin general issue of the weapons as “substitute standard”. There was a great deal of resistance at first, but Senator Warren was also Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee and his clout and seniority went a long way towards making his and Wilson’s wishes become facts. By the end of June, the Russian equipment was being issued to troops in training camps around the country. It was General Pershing himself that ordered that the Russian equipment be issued to the AEF in France exclusively. Pershing had practical field experience in battle, and realized that issuing weapons chambered in multiple calibers would be a logistical nightmare. The Army had more weapons chambered in the 7.62mm Russian cartridge than any other, and the choice was obvious.

The Mosin Nagant 1891 rifles became the “Rifle, 7.62mm, M1917”, the AP16 machine guns became the “Machine Rifle, 7.62mm, M1917,” the Russian spike bayonet became the “Bayonet, M1917,” and so on. Almost immediately requests for modifications were made. They were for the most part simple and straightforward. The sights on all rifles and machine guns, graduated in Russian “Arshins”, were replaced with ones graduated in yards. The sling slots cut into the Mosin Nagant stock were replaced with sling swivels so the standard M1907 sling would be compatible. Similar swivels were added to the Chauchat. The single biggest change was to the Mosin Nagant rifles, which were shortened to match the length of the 1903 Springfield and had new bayonet made to accept the standard M1905 bayonet, rather than the Russian spike bayonet. These modified weapons were given designated “M1917A1”, and changes were phased into new production almost immediately. Existing stock of the M1917's were issued as they were for training, and everything left over was modified to the new standard. The majority of the modifications were made at the Springfield Arsenal, the machine shops having escaped the fire. With the exception of perhaps 15000 rifles and 1500 Chauchats that went overseas with the very first contingents of American soldiers, almost every weapon was cycled through the modifications and brought to the M1917A1 standard before going overseas. Unaltered M1917 equipment is very rare.

The Mosins and Chauchats, as they invariably became known by the soldiers, were joined later in 1917 by the “Rifle, 7.62mm, M1917 (English Pattern)”, which was a modification of the British Enfield .303 Pattern 1914 rifles that Remington, Winchester and Eddystone (a subsidiary of Baldwin Locomotive Works) had been manufacturing under contracts. The British rifles were being geared up for a .30 caliber version, but this was halted in favor of keeping a common rifle cartridge for all substitute standard arms. The rifles were rechambered for the 7.62mm cartridge and the re-calibrated to match the ballistics of the new cartridge. The Enfields, as they became known, were issued in huge numbers, and became the second most common rifle in service. A prototype Berthier rifle modified to use the 7.62mm cartridge with most of the “A1” features was also by put together by Remington, but was rejected as unsuitable because of it’s en-bloc clip loading and lack of a manual safety. Winchester continued to manufacture the Model 1895 lever action rifles, including a "saddle ring" style carbine, that they had built for the Russians. Even though no large Army contracts were ever made, they 1895's were popular with state militas, especially in the western states. Perhaps 30,000 of the carbines were procured by the Army for Military Police and non-combatant guard duties stateside. Many of these ended up in the hands of US Cavalry elements in France through unofficial channels.

The Remington Mosins were better-made than Russian Mosins, but the Springfield, which was based on the Mauser 1896 system, was a far better rifle. The problem here is that the Army is sticking with 7.62 mm Russian, which is a rimmed cartridge similar to .303 British. Maybe without the glut of .30-06 that stuck around until the beginning of World War 2, the Army won't be as hesitant to move to a smaller cartridge for future battle rifles and light machine guns.

well, worse guns = more dead soldiers seems a pretty solid bet, although artillery was the big killer on the western front.

well, worse guns = more dead soldiers seems a pretty solid bet, although artillery was the big killer on the western front.

The differences between pretty much all of the standard issue bolt-action rifles in military service in WW1 were extremely marginal, which is something to keep in mind when people talk about how "awful" one particular type is compared to another. The fact that, say, the M1917 had a weak extractor somewhat prone to rusting compared to a Mauser, isn't going to have any really noticeable impact on the casualty numbers from the war.

Last edited:
It seems that the “Russian Three-line Rifle, Caliber 7.62 mm. (.3 inch)” is going to have a wider use than IOTL. Interesting.

An interesting aside is that the Pedersen device (which might not exist ITTL, due to him being potentially pre-occupied, though someone else might successfully lead the development program) was compatible with the Mosin-Nagant, with only minor modifications.

The Remington Mosins were better-made than Russian Mosins, but the Springfield, which was based on the Mauser 1896 system, was a far better rifle. The problem here is that the Army is sticking with 7.62 mm Russian, which is a rimmed cartridge similar to .303 British. Maybe without the glut of .30-06 that stuck around until the beginning of World War 2, the Army won't be as hesitant to move to a smaller cartridge for future battle rifles and light machine guns.
Um, no, I don't find that a likely scenario at - jeeze, quick, look over there! Something distracting!
It seems that the “Russian Three-line Rifle, Caliber 7.62 mm. (.3 inch)” is going to have a wider use than IOTL. Interesting.
Unteroffizer Knopf: Hey, Sarge, we captured a squad of Ami's during that trench raid. Look what we found!
Feldwebel Doppelpunkt: Huh. This is a Russian rifle. They all had these?
Knopf: Yeah. Had a couple of those junky French machine guns too.
Dopplepunkt: Are you sure you raided American trenches, Knopf?
Knopf: Dunno, Sarge. It was pretty dark. Maybe they were Russians after all.
Dopplepunkt: Did it smell like beets?
Knopf: No, Sarge, cigarettes and coffee.
Dopplepunkt: Yeah, definitely Americans then.