The Discord That Follows

Springtime for Heidler, and Austria

FT-17_French_WWI_tank_woods.jpg
A German box crew near Schweinfurt: April, 1920​

The winter did not see many large-scale actions in Europe, but it was far from tame. In Poland, Russia succeeded in finally destroying the last stronghold of the Polish Resistance in Lodz, but not without heavy loses. While the Russian papers wrote that Józef Piłsudski had been captured and shot, in reality he had been smuggled out of the city in the chaos of the Russian breakthrough. Currently he was making his way south towards the frontlines, while his followers continued to fight a bushwhacker campaign throughout Polish majority regions in both Russia and Germany. In Galicia, Austrian troops were advancing slowly against the Russian’s, with fighting more akin to the German Wars than anything else. The Austrians also held their own against Italy in the mountains, where wave after wave of Italian soldiers perished on the slopes to maxim gun fire and frostbite. In the Balkans, Serbia, Ottoman and Bulgarian troops unloaded on each other in vicious trench warfare. Surprisingly, Bavaria was mostly tame. There were very few actions to report, and the leading cause of casualties on both sides of the lines was not fighting but in fact things like frostbite and trench foot. Many papers would simply add at the end of their reports on the war with, “and all is still quiet on the Western Front.”

This would not last. As the cold retreated, Austrian troops readied for what its commanders believed would be a knockout blow to Germany. The attack would come in two stages. First was the distraction. There would be a sizeable attack into South Germany, to bring more German troops down to repel the invaders, and also hopefully to gain the support of the German Catholics in the region. The second attack would be the coup de grace. This would come from North Bavaria, a large hooking maneuver that would take Nuremburg, and then turn west, heading straight to the Rhine and trapping the German Army Group in the South. They would use speed and the help of Motor Infantry and Boxes to achieve surprise.

There was also a political motive behind the gamble. Secret negotiations had begun with France since the middle of the winter to join the war on the side of the Allies. Many considered it an unholy alliance, Austria had long been opposed to National Syndicalism, as did the United Kingdom. But more thought it was a necessary evil in order to restore the balance of power to Europe.

And so, on March 20th, Fall Ernte (Operation Harvest) went into effect. Landings at points along the Lech river resulted in the capture of border cities like Augsburg, Lansberg and Schongau, and German army units were soon screaming for reinforcements. By the time the second stage of Fall Ernte went into effect, the initial attack still had not been stopped as it thought it would be.

The second stage came a little less then two weeks later, on April 1st. This attack was overwhelming, led by now General Johann Heidler’s armoured columns. They captured Nuremburg almost without a fight, capturing thousands of terrified German prisoners. From there, the army turned to the west and the Rhine, with the main objective being Frankfort and Wiesbaden. Although the German army was routed at first, there were real attempts to stop the Austrian juggernaut. They almost succeeded too. During the Franconia campaign, German reinforcements taken from the fighting in Sudetenland were thrust at the northern flank of the advancing Austrians. This caused a fair amount of confusion, stalling the advance elements of Heidlers columns due to the danger of the flank collapsing under German pressure. However, Austrian troops stopped the counter-attack at Schweinfurt along the Main River, leading to an intense battle that lasted several days. With the front stabilized, Heidler resumed his advance, but the cost of those few days allowed the German reinforcements to regain their composure and dig in around Frankfort.

The Battle of Spessart lasted almost as long as the initial stages of the Kerndruck (central pressure) maneuver. The Germans knew if Frankfort was lost the Rhine would be opened up to Austria and would make continuing the war effort extremely difficult. And so in order to protect the city, the German Army dug in the low lying mountains to the east of the city, in order to stop the Austrians from breaking out into the fertile low-lands where Austria’s armored forces had an advantage. While General Heidler’s boxes and armored wagons could still function in the terrain, they weren’t as effective, and finally it seemed as though Germany had stemmed the tide.

It was not to be. The next blow would not come from Austria, but from France. On May 5th, the Valois-Grey Pact was signed in Caen, and Clemenceau announced that France would join with the Allies against Germany and Russia. Troops that had been placed at the border over the last few months, numbering over one million men, quickly defeated the skeleton border force and raced to meet the Austrians. With this, the defending Germans in the Spessart lost hope. Many retreated, some never to return to the frontlines. The defenders of Frankfort held out until the end of the month, finally surrendering due to lack of ammunition and the endless bombing raids from France and Austria. The two forces met a few weeks later farther north on the Rhine at the city of Koblenz.

The effects of this campaign could not be overstated. Not only did it revolutionize warfare, it brought France into the Allied camp and seriously injured Germany’s war effort. One of Germany’s largest Army Groups was surrounded by what General Heidler called a “Ring of Iron,” while much of the industrial strength of the Ruhr was out of commission. Even Cologne was now within striking distance for France and Austria. Germany was in dire straits, and things would only get worse before they got better…

FT-17_French_WWI_tank_woods.jpg

Last edited:
SilverSwimmer

Now that makes it very interesting. Also reversing the traditional expectation of Austria only producing at best mediocre forces in this period. An Austria that is holding off Russia and virtually every other neighbour and simultaneously launching an offensive that seriously hurts a pretty much united Germany. Now that is AH!:D

The only question, if it looks like the allies are going to win is will the Us decide it must intervene to preserve its view of the balance of power?:( If not this could be over fairly quickly and with relatively little further bloodshed, provided both sides see sense. [But then we're talking about humans in war here.:mad::mad:].

Steve

Kind of hope things don't better for Germany.

This will also affect American views of the war, as I assume they still like France, the French are also likely to want Americans to make them stuff, which makes Americans money, which makes them less likely to want to go to war with France.

edit: Shouldn't it Austria not Germany in the title?

One more thing; will Germany now ask Russia for more help? Either a diversionary attack on Austria or troops in Germany it self.

Last edited:
SilverSwimmer

Now that makes it very interesting. Also reversing the traditional expectation of Austria only producing at best mediocre forces in this period. An Austria that is holding off Russia and virtually every other neighbour and simultaneously launching an offensive that seriously hurts a pretty much united Germany. Now that is AH!:D

The only question, if it looks like the allies are going to win is will the Us decide it must intervene to preserve its view of the balance of power?:( If not this could be over fairly quickly and with relatively little further bloodshed, provided both sides see sense. [But then we're talking about humans in war here.:mad::mad:].

Steve

Well Austria is a little different and a lot more lucky than OTL. Its much more united, has a lot of experience from the German Wars, and its luck comes from the fact that Russia, its biggest enemy, has been worried about three other fronts, Poland, Central Asia, and the Pacific. The German Army wasnt in the best shape either.

Not sure whether the US will join, still deciding :p. But I can say that the war will not be over shortly.

Kind of hope things don't better for Germany.

This will also affect American views of the war, as I assume they still like France, the French are also likely to want Americans to make them stuff, which makes Americans money, which makes them less likely to want to go to war with France.

edit: Shouldn't it Austria not Germany in the title?

One more thing; will Germany now ask Russia for more help? Either a diversionary attack on Austria or troops in Germany it self.

The view of France is actually mixed since the ascension of Clemenceau. The US government is wary of National Syndicalism, and there is a sizeable Fleur French population (not as big as Mexico's but still vocal).

Yes ill edit that.

Ill be going over the aftermath of the offensive soon, but it is obvious that Russia will have to act soon or risk losing its biggest ally.

Hey when did the Philippines Fall?

edit, just read it, will France fight in Africa?

And is France NOT at war with Italy if so why?

Is Japan planning an offensive against Qunidong (I assume that is what the Germany dot in China is) or are they looking towards Port Author?

Also are Britian and France looking towards America to make weapons? I don't think Mexico has built up it's industry to come close to the US, so the US Business could just charge them a lot of money for their services. Also, maybe I missed it but when did the US acquire Alaska?

Any more Fleet action, or is Germany going to keep it's fleet close?

Also you forgot Malaya and Singapore, which are British

Finally I really like the idea of a US/British Cold War, you just never see that.

Last edited:

Free Lancer

Banned
Also are Britian and France looking towards America to make weapons? I don't think Mexico has built up it's industry to come close to the US, so the US Business could just charge them a lot of money for their services

Doubtful their looking to the US for arms. the US hates Britain due to the huge list of problems the two nations have with one another and the number one reason of course being that the British blockade of the CP not really going to do business with a nation that prevents you from doing business with the other nation.

And i don't think the US is to thrilled with Frances style of government and ideology and past actions.

So yeah the US has most likely raised the tab on the arms market to unsuitable costly levels for Britain not sure for france.

Doubtful their looking to the US for arms. the US hates Britain due to the huge list of problems the two nations have with one another and the number one reason of course being that the British blockade of the CP not really going to do business with a nation that prevents you from doing business with the other nation.

And i don't think the US is to thrilled with Frances style of government and ideology and past actions.

So yeah the US has most likely raised the tab on the arms market to unsuitable costly levels for Britain not sure for france.

It depends how desperate Britain and France are for stuff. The US exacted a large toll in both OTL's World Wars for their help so if they feel desperate enough they may pay the price.

Or Far more likely they pay Mexico to make stuff, as with France and a stronger Austria the Brits may not feel as pressured.

Also Silver will the British, French and Austrian Navies look to blockade Italy? It would cut them off from Tunis and open the way for an invasion of Corsica, Sardinia or if they feel bold enough Sicily it self. Maybe Force Italy to terms and free up some troops.

Spengler

Banned
I noticed Greece hasn't joined and Bulgaria still holds Thessalonikia, while I do not doubt Greece holds no love for the Ottomans they certainly also want what would many advocates of Megali Idea would consider "traditional" Hellenic lands back, and now is as good as time as any to take advantage. Also giving the alliance more problems in Europe could balance out any possible American entry.

What is the Vietnamese take on the war at this point?

Last edited:

Free Lancer

Banned
It depends how desperate Britain and France are for stuff. The US exacted a large toll in both OTL's World Wars for their help so if they feel desperate enough they may pay the price.

Or Far more likely they pay Mexico to make stuff, as with France and a stronger Austria the Brits may not feel as pressured.

Maybe but even desperation will not make you buy armaments from a nation who's price tag is twenty time higher then the other nation like Mexico and Brazil and i believe Argentine is very friendly with the British who's price's will be very lower.

I did not realise that the Philippines had fallen but I just cant see Germany and Italy lasting too much longer unless Russia starts deploying forces to assist them. The Ottomans and French will crush Tunisia and Britain will eventually take all of East Africa. France probably will land on Corsica and push through the alps soon, Austria might do so as well and the British could attempt a landing somewhere itself

We may see an Anglo-Japanese landing in the Far East of Russia.

I could see England putting troops in either the African Fronts or through France.

Also how powerful is Argentina? How much industry could it build up due to British war orders? Could we see a rematch with Chile as a result?

I did not realise that the Philippines had fallen but I just cant see Germany and Italy lasting too much longer unless Russia starts deploying forces to assist them. The Ottomans and French will crush Tunisia and Britain will eventually take all of East Africa. France probably will land on Corsica and push through the alps soon, Austria might do so as well and the British could attempt a landing somewhere itself

zeppelin247

Possibly, although if they had any sense I think the allies would be best off concentrating on Germany. Other than by sea, which is difficult in terms of amphibious assaults, Italy has decent defences and also lacks the industrial muscle to be a major threat. A lot could probably be done via blockade and possibly also occasional naval bombardment. For instance how is Italy getting coal imports to power its factories?

Steve

Maybe but even desperation will not make you buy armaments from a nation who's price tag is twenty time higher then the other nation like Mexico and Brazil and i believe Argentine is very friendly with the British who's price's will be very lower.

Free Lancer

I get the distinct feeling that, with a markedly more nationalistic and interventionist government, the worse relations with the US and the bloodier recent history Britain probably has a larger industrial base than OTL. Also with Austria and now France to do a lot of the heavy lifting Britain possibly might concentrate more resources the traditional naval role and on producing stuff to supply them rather than a mass army as OTL 1914. It would depend on how long the war lasts, or possibly initially on how long governments thinks it will last. [Presuming the OTL relatively small professional army if they think the war will be short but intense that would be a better use of resources than spending a lot of effort training an equipping a mass army that would need 18-24 months to really come into play].

Steve

zeppelin247

Possibly, although if they had any sense I think the allies would be best off concentrating on Germany. Other than by sea, which is difficult in terms of amphibious assaults, Italy has decent defences and also lacks the industrial muscle to be a major threat. A lot could probably be done via blockade and possibly also occasional naval bombardment. For instance how is Italy getting coal imports to power its factories?

Steve

So what a Blockade with some low intensity attacks to keep Italy guessing?

An amphibious assault on Sicily, could bring Italy to Terms. Getting rid of Italy frees up some Austrian Troops and gives the Allies a new supply lines to Austria as well.

As to Germany, where is the rest of it's industry?

Germany and Italy can be brought to terms, the real issue is Russia, hell Germany and Italy could surrender now and war could easily go on for nother three years as the Allies try to defeat Russia.

So what a Blockade with some low intensity attacks to keep Italy guessing?

An amphibious assault on Sicily, could bring Italy to Terms. Getting rid of Italy frees up some Austrian Troops and gives the Allies a new supply lines to Austria as well.

As to Germany, where is the rest of it's industry?

Germany and Italy can be brought to terms, the real issue is Russia, hell Germany and Italy could surrender now and war could easily go on for nother three years as the Allies try to defeat Russia.

jeckl

Sorry, I misses this earlier. I think that would be the best policy with Italy. Hit their relatively weak economic base and the occasional raid to tie down forces and possibly undermine desire for the war. Threats to Sicily and Sardinia and their colonies, which would be vulnerable to allied naval dominance.

Good question on Germany. Looks like the Austrlan attack comes close to if not includes part of the Rhur so that may be affected. They still have Silesia and some other areas in the north so probably OK at the moment. However depends on how much they have to rebuild forces.

On Russia I think if Germany was defeated Russia would probably make peace. It would be pretty isolated and while an advance on Moscow would be unlikely and probably dangerous the allies could hurt the Russian empire a lot by operations on the fringes. Securing an independent Poland, driving them back in the Caucasus and destroying their influence in the Balkans, plus whatever the Japanese get up to in the Pacific region. Not to mention that the Russian economy is still dependent on a lot of foreign imports and simply heavily dependent on grain exports for cash, which are going nowhere at the moment.

Steve

I would like for Germany to Surrender nowish and just have Russia move occupation troops in and have most of the fighting take place there.

'Goot Morgan, ya Sausage eating Surrender monkeys'.

:)

The War in Asia

With the capture of Formosa and Sakhalin, along with the utter destruction of the German Pacific Fleet, allowed the Allies to set their sights on their next set of targets. In the south, this included the Philippines, which the Japanese had coveted for years, while in the north, the Russian ports of Dalny and Port Arthur on the Liaodong peninsula was crucial to cutting off Russian power projection in the Far East.

The invasion of the Philippines kicked off in early March of 1920. British and Australasian troops landed in the Davao Gulf on the southernmost island of Mindanao, only to find token resistance. This was because a bulk of the remaining German forces were located up north, on Luzon, where the Japanese would land only days later. While one beachhead formed on the northern tip of Luzon, while another attempted to break into Manila Bay in order to strike directly at the capitol of the territory. This did not go so well. Fort Wilhelm on Corregidor Island, which sat in the middle of the entrance to the bay, succeeded in making it impossible for the Japanese to break through towards the capitol of the territory. Instead, a heavy bombardment began of the island, and a few days later, Japanese troops landed there under heavy fire. Fighting over the next few days was heavy, but eventually the German garrison simply ran out of ammunition.

300px-Corregidor_gun.jpg

Japanese troops celebrating on Corregidor

While the Japanese were victorious on Corregidor, the delay allowed the remaining German units to organize a defense of Manila. Units in the north of Luzon used hit and run tactics on the advancing Japanese troops, while the Manila garrison held strong against the force that landed south of the city. The Germans also scuttled their remaining ships that had survived the first part of the war, so they would be of no use to the Japanese. Again, lack of ammunition and men worked against Germany. Eventually, by May, the Japanese from north Luzon had succeeded in reaching the northern edges of Manila, completing the ring around the city. Many starved to death in the weeks following, with the added terror of enemy air raids that were becoming more and more common around the world. Thousands more died during the final assault of the city, many of whom were civilians. The German garrison finally surrendered on June 1st, 1920.

With Germany out of the war in the Pacific, all eyes turned to Manchuria. The Russian fleet, while defeated, was not gone. It still was holed up in the Korea Bay, near the port of Dalny. And so in July, the Japanese rolled up into the Bohai Bay, miraculously skirting around the Russian fleet, and landed during the dead of night farther up the peninsula. That morning, Russian troops were shocked to find that they have been effectively cut off from the rest of Manchuria. The remainder of the Russian fleet was scrambled in order to intercept any reinforcements or supplies, while the Russian reserves in Manchuria, which weren’t many, were sent south. In Dalian itself, Russian soldiers worked tirelessly to prepare defenses. When the attack finally came, the Russians were certainly ready. Able to bottleneck the advancing Japanese, the Russian maxims mowed down soldiers in designated kill zones. Sensing the attack would be a disaster if continued without a stable supply of reinforcements, the Japanese command called off the attack. The battle would be decided on the sea.

While the Japanese were quite confident of their ocean supremacy, and had a lot to back it up, the Russians did have a few tricks up their sleeve. The Russian Pacific Fleet was certainly damaged from the year before, but were still a force to be reckoned with. It had been outfitted with wireless technology given to them by the Germans, which had been their downfall in the last battle with the Japanese. In the Battle of Korea Bay, this was to be very crucial.

On the morning of July 11th, the protected cruiser Izumrod located Japanese supply ships escorted by some Japanese destroyers entering the bay. This meant the main Japanese fleet was somewhere nearby, hoping to destroy the Russian fleet in order to allow the free flow of men and supplies to the peninsula. The Izumrod fired upon the supply ships in order to make itself known, damaging one before fleeing the destroyers. By the afternoon, the entire Japanese fleet had taken the bait, following the cruiser to what they though was the main Russian force.

In fact, they were not there. The Izumrod was leading them towards the actual port. The main Japanese force did not see where the Russian Pacific Fleet was until they were being fired on – from behind. The wireless had allowed the ships to contact each other the coordinates of the Japanese fleet, and allowed the Russians to surprise them. Taken by complete surprise, the Japanese went into a panic. To make things worse, as the Japanese turned to face their enemies, the much smaller Russian fleet, led by the Izumrod and consisting of mostly torpedo boats, flanked them, firing into the scrambled mess the fleet had become. All in all, by the end of the day, more than 2,000 Japanese had met their fate, and reinforcements to the Liaodong beachhead were put on hold.

tumblr_lz1h9t3RlE1r65o3qo3_500.jpg

An illustration of the Battle of Korea Bay

The beachhead didn’t survive much longer either. By the 18th of July, the Manchuria reserves had arrived, making the attackers the defenders overnight. The First Battle of Dalny ended with the surrender of Japanese forces on the Liaodong peninsula. The Allies would have to find another way to take the port.

battle of korea bay.png