The Death of Russia - TL

(Technically related since End of Evangelion inspired me into writing)

Hey all, just posting here again to say I'll restart writing tomorrow. I'm doing my Japanese Language Proficiency Test early in December so I'll probably be writing at a slower pace for a time but I still hope to finish the timeline before December 31st.

Mercifully, since I think I fully elaborated on the depth and uniqueness of the evil of both the Petrograd and Stalinist regimes, I don't think I need to do them again in a non-military sense so I doubt I'll need the short break as before. As I said before, I'm fine, but I realised that it was getting harmful to keep reading about these topics and took a brief respite. I'm recovered now.
F*ck we’ve reached Evangelion’s levels of insanity? 😨😨😨

Nice Boat

What in God’s name is Evanglion?

It's referring to the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion, which by 1995 would be just debuting to critical acclaim and would pretty much define the mecha genre alongside the Gundam franchise.

I'm only familiar with Evangelion through osmosis but the general reputation is that it's rather psychologically dark. That's the general gist of it.

Last edited:
It is a very obscure niche reference, and scarcely relevant to the storyline.
That said - nothing can top the Russian Civil War though, not some producer's depression being projected onto a humungous mecha anime with teenage pilots (or can it? Well, I won't be surprised if the current developments will affect Anno's rewriting of the later episodes and EoE, however).

Again, I don't know too much about NGE but what I do know is that Anno was already depressed after some prior projects he was in charge of under performed IIRC. Evangelion could potentially be darker if the 2RCW affects his mental wellbeing, the total collapse of a world power isn't really something one can just tune out ya know, and it might affect Evangelion's direction even subconsciously.

That said, pop culture doesn't seem to be too radically different if Berserk still goes into the modern day (and Miura's untimely death might be butterflied but its impossible to tell from his brief mention) but with the NSF's rise and the 2RCW, you still see Russians being the bad guys for the most part. From the top of my head, pop culture wise you got small things such as Air Force One possibly being retooled to at least not have the main bad guys being Kazakh commies, to moderately sized butterflies such as STALKER taking place in the ruins of Moscow instead of somewhere in Ukraine. There's definitely more though, but nothing too extreme IMO.

In a kinda related fun fact, Tetris is actually a-ok. Pajitnov's been living in the US since 1991.

Last edited:
pop culture doesn't seem to be too radically different
Both Star Trek Undiscovered Country and The Next Generation had a message of hope - that rivalling powers can mend their rivalries and cooperate. That's why they had a Chornobyl-like accident with the Praxis moon, Starship captains interfering in the election of Chancellors. ATL, the rivalling power fell and destroyed itself in the most horrendous ways imaginable in the late 1990s in the developed country. At least Star Trek would be changed, as the message of hope just got crushed by genocides and war crimes.

Also, Stargate's Colonel O'Neill will be more anti-Russian than OTL.

Also, MegaTraveller or Traveller The New Era could be more popular, with the whole dissolution of a once mighty empire.

Would this too affect to James Bond movie GoldenEye since it mostly takes place in Russia?

Just wondering would this affect to Star Wars prequels.

Nick P

Donor
Can it be long till the NSF start selling off the Faberge eggs and other artworks from Petrograd in exchange for food and weapons?
Or would they rather see their people starve than lose the crown jewels of Russian craftmanship?

Can it be long till the NSF start selling off the Faberge eggs and other artworks from Petrograd in exchange for food and weapons?
Or would they rather see their people starve than lose the crown jewels of Russian craftmanship?

The latter.

Depraved, sinful people are temporary; Holy Mother Russia is eternal.

These nationalists are indeed insane enough ratherly letting their people to starve than selling tsarits crown jewels.