The Death of Russia - TL

Wonder if a certain cult in Japan (Aum Shinrikyo) is going to get WMDs as a result--I'm having flashbacks to A Giant Sucking Sound, where they get WMDs and destroy the city of Nagoya with a nuclear weapon (on the upside, if there is any, this leads to an earlier shutdown of the Fukushima nuclear power plant and butterflies away that disaster)...

Wonder if a certain cult in Japan (Aum Shinrikyo) is going to get WMDs as a result--I'm having flashbacks to A Giant Sucking Sound, where they get WMDs and destroy the city of Nagoya with a nuclear weapon (on the upside, if there is any, this leads to an earlier shutdown of the Fukushima nuclear power plant and butterflies away that disaster)...

But do the cult have the resources to even get one? It's not like they got the expertise to nab one out of Russia themselves and nukes ain't coming cheap.

If anything, I'd consider Osama being able to escape with one more likely.

Last edited:
Nukes aren't the only thing Osama and Aum are likely to want, IMO--there's also chemical weapons (or biological weapons)...

And Aum did try to get a nuke, IIRC...

I am not sure if Aum Shinrikyo is able to get nukes if then someone rogue war lord doesn't sell one to them.

Al-Qaida might have anyway capacity to get nukes. And perhaps too chemical and biological weapons.

I did the air force bombing the Kremlin because the Parliament actually suggested OTL, but in retrospect limiting it to just tanks is probably better. I've also edited the segment to explain the upcoming segments better, because without spoiling too much, some people wanted Yeltsin alive and others wanted him dead, but to be fair, since it's Grachev, no one knows if he was malevolent or just incompetent.
Actually, as a Russian I don't get the "Grachev's defection" part really. The Supreme council had their own cabinet and recognized Achalov as the only legitimate minister of defence. Basically, they should've forced Grachev to publically resign or capture him as state criminal.

Actually, as a Russian I don't get the "Grachev's defection" part really. The Supreme council had their own cabinet and recognized Achalov as the only legitimate minister of defence. Basically, they should've forced Grachev to publically resign or capture him as state criminal.

Yes, this remains correct, Grachev's arrival is more to give a visual that the army had sided with Parliament and Achalov will become the provisional defence minister, although there is more to the story going on behind the scenes.

Yes, this remains correct, Grachev's arrival is more to give a visual that the army had sided with Parliament and Achalov will become the provisional defence minister, although there is more to the story going on behind the scenes.
The story mentions that it was Grachev who proposed to shell the Kremlin (which is a way to mirror the shelling of the White House by connecting this all to Grachev and not using the desperate appeal of Rutskoy to his Air Force past calling to bomb Kremlin)

The story mentions that it was Grachev who proposed to shell the Kremlin (which is a way to mirror the shelling of the White House by connecting this all to Grachev and not using the desperate appeal of Rutskoy to his Air Force past calling to bomb Kremlin)
It was his suggestion (that had backing among certain people in the Parliament group which will be elaborated on shortly) that was ultimately agreed upon, not a case of him ordering the group around.

It was his suggestion (that had backing among certain people in the Parliament group which will be elaborated on shortly) that was ultimately agreed upon, not a case of him ordering the group around.
Yea, but still Grachev acts here as the source of similarities with the IRL 1993 crisis. Overall, the question of what Supreme Soviet would have done if ousted Yeltsin remains uncertain. First of all, there was a slogan "Yeltsin's gang on trial!" ("Банду Ельцина под суд!") but IRL it became more popular by mid-to-late 90s and OTL only a Duma's pardon saved the Supreme Council supporters from jail. So, it looks possible that Yeltsin might have been tried and received a life sentence if the Supreme Council won.

The second possibility is that the Supreme Council might have taken a softer line and guaranteed a "Golden Bridge" for Boris. Yeltsin is ousted and then he flees Russia. After all, he ends up like Gorby but in UK or US rather than in Germany.

And the third option is presented in your TL.

Last edited:
definitely following this, after your triumph with FOM
you could give this an alternate title , like “Bootstomp of Russia” or “Curbstomp of Russia,” in keeping with the foot themed titles.😀