The Death of Russia - TL

With Russia collapsing I wanted to see how will this affect India because Russia is a major weapon supplier to India. Would India distant itself from Russia and closer to the West and Pakistan getting more isolated busy in Afghanistan? Also what will happened to Iran?

By this decade, in terms of historiography, what historians would view the disastrous events in the 1990s and 2000s because a second fragmentation is similar to what happened to Kyivan Rus' which existed at the time of the Vikings before disintegration into splinter and princely states before the Mongol invasion.

Can fragmented North Asia/Russia affect or impact the language development of such Russian dialects in the Urals and Siberia where these dialect could either absorb or merge to possibly form their own separate language within the next centuries?

How likely do you see Siberia seeing something akin to what happened in the Americas where the British and Spanish colonists saw themselves increasingly as "Americans" and not Britons/Spaniards who happened to live in the Americas and the birth of a "Siberian" national identity as a result?

Maybe in a couple hundred years. Don't forget that the American identity came about as a consequence of major geographic and cultural isolation. If it takes six months to mail a letter, and going to America meant you'll probably never see anyone you knew again, you might develop a new identity over time. With trains, planes, the internet, or even just telephones, ethnically Russian Siberians will be able to hold on to what little of their previous lives were left once the power gets back on.

Russian Siberia lacks the population to effectively change as it will probably get very little immigration from outside the world and if it does it will most likely be from China and Russia proper. More importantly if it does break from Russia it might as well call itself Russia as majority of it's people would be Russian and there would be nothing stopping them from claiming that right. It's not like Germany stopped calling itself Germany after WW2.

Many, including the teenagers, had their decapitations filmed, with the VHS tapes sometimes even sent to their loved ones by finding letters from their family or girlfriends on their corpses. The decapitations were often with blunt knives, sometimes even with pens.
What? How? The pens I use are not that strong! (as I have found out the hard way when writing with my terrible dexterity) Also, filming it is exactly the type of messed up thing I can see these dastards doing.
For this chapter, I had to read a lot about Russian (and Jihadist) war crimes in Chechnya, plus other war crimes committed by the Red Army historically. Consequently, this is the hardest thing I've ever written.
Oh boy. Seeing the previous chapter, that's a big red flag. Let's see how bad this is...
Houses and other shelters clearly marked with ‘Children’ or ‘Hospital’ would inevitably be the most shot up and shelled. In early July the village of Samashki was burned to the ground with flamethrowers and grenades from drunken and drugged Russian soldiers with the residents inside, killing several hundred, the majority being children, some even ethnically Russian. Some of the dead children’s skulls were used as ornaments for the unit’s tanks with the name of the village written in marker on the bone. The Russians also ‘pioneered’ the use of public rape of both women and men in villages with the residents forced to watch while bound. It was an astonishingly brutal instrument of revenge and humiliation in the conservative Muslim society they were in. Many of the victims, regardless of sex, would kill themselves from despair soon after. Then came the single most horrifying incident of the conflict, the Vedeno Massacre. On September 14th, the entire male population down to roughly twelve years old in the village of Vedeno was executed before most of the remaining females were raped. Tear-ridden ten-year-old boys would try hopelessly to save their sisters, sometimes younger than them, from being raped and were shot in response. Female Russian nurses at the scene looked on and laughed, even encouraging the violence. It remains one of the two national days of national mourning in Ichkeria today stemming from the conflict, the other needing no explanation.
What the actual fu-
1666101488187.png

[1] - The targeting of children sites and hospitals was well documented during Putin's wars. The Samashki Massacre actually happened OTL essentially as described. The Vedeno Massacre is fictional, but a combination of Srebrenica and a real incident that happened in 1945 to German women and children in a refugee column by the Red Army, including the part about the Russian army women laughing.
Wait, all of this shit happened IOTL?! I know from academic studies that humanity is capable of doing truly horrible stuff (and it was, if anything, the default before 'the state as a monopoly on violence' was invented) but seeing the visceral details laid out in writing makes it all the more devastating.
In order to resolve the now chronic manpower issues, conscripts from the farthest reaches of the country were called up, often with the brunt of the enlistment on ethnic minorities and rural peasants. While much has been made of the former, the latter perhaps held an even greater role in Russia’s dissolution. The scarcity of resources that was exacerbated by the knowledge that the country was on the brink of famine led to the various regions of Russia stealing resources for themselves, often with superiors picking favourites, and sometimes literally who would live or die.
I see you're taking notes from OTL!
The lines were broken, the supplies were gone, and collapse was no longer coming, but happening. People were going to die, their wives were going to die, their husbands were going to die, their girlfriends were going to die, their boyfriends were going to die, their friends were going to die, their kids were going to die, everyone was going to die.
This line hit hard. Well written, you glorious bastard.

I'm going to go cry now.

Last edited:
Kaliningrad still runs that, as well as most embassies around the world.
On that note, how much of a navy does Gaidar have under his control considering Kaliningrad was and is a major naval base of the Baltic Fleet? A few frigates, missile boats, and submarines and maybe a destroyer?

Last edited:
“On October 27th 1994, Russia itself would die.”

This is terrifying because of the consequences of such. The total collapse of central authority and a massive Warlord period is not going to be good for anyone- Russian or not.

Regardless of anything else this is a ‘country’ with nukes, though I wonder even if the order is sent is there anyone in the bunkers to launch?

Messy, messy, messy.

Its even worse than that, as Europe will probably have to deal with whatever criminal empires and warlords pop up without any central authority to actually make deals with so violence is probably is going to be near constant. Also something tells me the support for Jihad is going to backfire really hard in the next decade. Also Armenia will probably not exist at all in the coming decades as well.

Actually looking back at a previous comment I made, I can see a divide being formed between Eastern and Western Europe on the treatment of refugees, the treatment of Russian allied/puppet states, and attempts to bring some form of a unified Russian state. I mean Germany and the rest of Europe would probably like Russia to reunite if for no other reason than the cheap gas and minerals they could trade with while Eastern Europe will try to stop it or make any potential state as weak and dependent on them as possible.

Actually looking back at a previous comment I made, I can see a divide being formed between Eastern and Western Europe on the treatment of refugees, the treatment of Russian allied/puppet states, and attempts to bring some form of a unified Russian state. I mean Germany and the rest of Europe would probably like Russia to reunite if for no other reason than the cheap gas and minerals they could trade with while Eastern Europe will try to stop it or make any potential state as weak and dependent on them as possible.
I can already see the irony considering Russia's recent behaviour IOTL.

Basically to help keep track of every Russian Warlord no matter how small and how unrecognized, and give a brief play by play following updates that introduce new players or major territorial gains.

The term "Russian Unifier" isn't accurate as the point of this TL is balkanized Russia, but that's to keep track of whoever declares themselves the legitimate Russian state, again no matter how small and how unrecognized they are.

TFCaG5b.png
Errrr....Isn't that the map I made? It certainly looks like you used my map (albeit edited) or at least the color I used for Russia. If you used just the color that's cool, but if you used the map shouldn't I be credited for making the original?

Errrr....Isn't that the map I made? It certainly looks like you used my map (albeit edited) or at least the color I used for Russia. If you used just the color that's cool, but if you used the map shouldn't I be credited for making the original?

I realize now that I forgot to source you properly and for that I sincerely apologize. Give me a moment to edit the post to reflect that.

I assume nuclear terrorism will be possible since the records of Russian nukes will be destroyed and will be unaccounted when the calmer period starts.

I assume nuclear terrorism will be possible since the records of Russian nukes will be destroyed and will be unaccounted when the calmer period starts.
It takes a lot of effort to maintain and launch a nuclear weapon. Unless we're talking about nuclear bluffs, the warlords are highly unlikely to go nuclear because they'll be simply incapable.

Not to mention that thermonuclear devices need upkeep and maintenance; the tritium in them has to be replenished with some regularity, for instance.

Even the Cartels don't have the money for that, and even if they did, the effort required would be a giant neon "RAID ME" sign.

IIRC, Gaidar has the entire Baltic Fleet.

Those that aren't already rusting in port, I guess...

It takes a lot of effort to maintain and launch a nuclear weapon. Unless we're talking about nuclear bluffs, the warlords are highly unlikely to go nuclear because they'll be simply incapable.

Not to mention that thermonuclear devices need upkeep and maintenance; the tritium in them has to be replenished with some regularity, for instance.

Even the Cartels don't have the money for that, and even if they did, the effort required would be a giant neon "RAID ME" sign.
Aint OTL there were clandestine cleanup project in Kazakhstan or something conducted by the West (with the cooperation of Russia) after the Soviet Union broke up? I can see the West conducting something similar ITTL, but on steroids, up to 11, since the whole place is not just abandoned as in OTL, but actively crashing down and no Russian cooperation (at least no central government they could rely on anymore) this time.

Aint OTL there were clandestine cleanup project in Kazakhstan or something conducted by the West (with the cooperation of Russia) after the Soviet Union broke up? I can see the West conducting something similar ITTL, but on steroids, up to 11, since the whole place is not just abandoned as in OTL, but actively crashing down and no Russian cooperation (at least no central government they could rely on anymore) this time.
Yeah, I can see NATO and such rolling in a fair few NEST members accompanied by some Tier 1s. Maybe also reaching out to the local garrison commanders to keep their nukes safe. Offer fair market value and tickets out, in exchange for the warheads, arguing quite reasonably whatever their idealogy, they don't want to see the world on fire.