The Death of Russia - TL

Will the Russian Federation/ Kaliningrad one day reclaim Russia or be mroe of a government-in-exile like Taiwan, maybe even join NATO later on?
After all said is done I don't think anyone would want to move in the inferno that is former russia, if anything, Kaliningrad might develop their own national identity, like us.

Another thought I didn't add above. The Civil War is bound to have massive effects on the demographics of many post-Soviet states. Between Russian minorities not going back to Russia for obvious reasons and Russian refugees coming in through relatively porous borders. We could be looking at Kazakhstan retaining a population of 6 to 7 million Russians TTL instead of it sharply reducing.
Russian refugees are guaranteed to pour in significant numbers into Ukraine and Belarus too. There are too many mixed families which can find ancestry from these regions for it not to happen. Sure, both countries may be selective in terms of whom they admit. But there will be Russians going West. Most of the 2 million Russian-Germans who emigrated to Germany after the fall of the USSR did so on the back of having only a single German grand-parent or parent after all.

I am not sure that we should be celebrating or cheering what will is inevitably going to follow in the next chapters. The overall death toll of the 2nd Russian Civil War could easily be 10 to 20 million. There is nothing "fun" about a major country with 150M inhabitants collapsing into a failed state of truly epic proportions.
Oh I'm not celebrating it, just thought with the looming catastrophe to come that'd be an appropriate quote.

I have many Russian friends, nearly all of whom now live in the West. I dread to imagine what their childhood would have been like during these alternate 1990s.
I am not sure that we should be celebrating or cheering what will is inevitably going to follow in the next chapters. The overall death toll of the 2nd Russian Civil War could easily be 10 to 20 million. There is nothing "fun" about a major country with 150M inhabitants collapsing into a failed state of truly epic proportions.
Well said

Considering how everything will occur would Ukraine have more land and control the coast around the sea of Azov more? Also independent Siberia is my jam and yeeeeees we're getting that! Russia really is falling apart.

I mean Siberia would just become a Chinese puppet state and there is nothing stopping the country from just becoming another corrupt corporate state. Plus it's not like Siberia will just see the natives take over, the Russians still make up the majority of the population.

I mean Siberia would just become a Chinese puppet state and there is nothing stopping the country from just becoming another corrupt corporate state. Plus it's not like Siberia will just see the natives take over, the Russians still make up the majority of the population.
Honestly I can see the Chinese Siberian Puppet State becoming a Far-Eastern Republic 2.0

In name but China will never let them get powerful at all. A corrupt state that is easy to control would make the most sense assuming Siberia doesn't brake apart further.

The US would have to be foolish to let all of Siberia and its resources go to China. Most likely the Far Eastern and Siberian theaters of the 2RCW are mostly between US and Chinese backed warlords with ethnic separatists caught in the middle.

October 1994 Map
dffr8lh-bbb695ed-0674-4a78-9c5e-916fa6499734.png

A map of the situation in Russia on October 27th 1994, the last day of Russia's existence.

@Sorairo I think you should threadmark the maps so they be easier to find to the readers.

Last edited:
How likely do you see Siberia seeing something akin to what happened in the Americas where the British and Spanish colonists saw themselves increasingly as "Americans" and not Britons/Spaniards who happened to live in the Americas and the birth of a "Siberian" national identity as a result?

How likely do you see Siberia seeing something akin to what happened in the Americas where the British and Spanish colonists saw themselves increasingly as "Americans" and not Britons/Spaniards who happened to live in the Americas and the birth of a "Siberian" national identity as a result?
I think this depends on how Siberia shatters. If its most intact I definitely could see a Siberian identity derived from Russian slowly develop. If it's a free-for-all for everyone with a gun and the charisma to lead a group of bandits, I doubt that society would be stable enough develop any kind of national identity.

Japan might actually have the most positive idea of Russia post breakup mostly on account that they have the least terrible history with them compared to the rest of the other western developed states.

As for invasion from Japan they might just support a puppet state instead. We might see Russians become an immigrant group to Japan like the Philippinos in OTL.

Basically to help keep track of every Russian Warlord no matter how small and how unrecognized, and give a brief play by play following updates that introduce new players or major territorial gains.

The term "Russian Unifier" isn't accurate as the point of this TL is balkanized Russia, but that's to keep track of whoever declares themselves the legitimate Russian state, again no matter how small and how unrecognized they are.

TFCaG5b.png
Looking at the map you'd think that the guys in charge of Russian infrastructure would have developed alternate routes that don't all go through a few regions, then again I don't think they could have foreseen the events of this timeline.

My apologies, I've just remembered, Kaliningrad has nukes as well.

Can I help you @Sorairo to build up by publishing infoboxes and maps? In what events should I make for wikiboxes?
Anything you want and I can make corrections.

Tatarstan and Bashkorostan are not attempting to be ethnostates - the Russian population there is not interested in the NSF's madness over finding something to eat. The Tatarstan and Bashkorostan republics have been radicalised by economic conditions, the openly genocidal attitude of members of the government, an influx of disgruntled politicians expelled from Moscow due to their race, and what has been happening in the Caucasus to ethnic groups of similar description. Udmurtia hasn't been taken over, only that partisans have made the road dangerous.

Another thing about Japan is that they would be the biggest destination of Russian refugees in east Asia as China is China and would not want any major destabilization from immigration, Korea is not that immigrant friendly and those they get are mostly made up of the Korean diaspora, leaving Japan as the best option.

As for Eastern Europe I do not see the Russian immigrants/Refugees being treated well due to the history but also a lot will probably be forced to move back to whatever rump Russian states form especially as they will see them as a fifth colum.