The Death of Russia - TL

IIRC, the situation that led to him turning against them was that the NSF treated him poorly in Transnistria, so there’s that.
Still, if Grachev and others went with the NSF, so would he follow them, even if in extreme reluctancy, because his army reforms vision was something the NSF would agree on.
Still, doesnt changes the fundamental part that his Siberian separatism is pulled out of nowhere, and that, again, once the bombs fall, he would quickly try to seize everything in the West, or rejoin the government in Kaliningrad as quickly as possible.
He was a hardcore anti-Nato skeptic and a Russian patriot, you could argue that some other interests like the business would get hold of him, but I'd object in that he has the total army control in the chaos, and again-can make a deal with them, as he often did during his tenure as the governor of Krasnoyarsk.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s me but I personally saw the transition to madness in the Russian government believable. Things were already going back for Russia in OTL that something like a fascist putsch wouldn’t have been completely out there.
Personally I always found the whole Dugin, Barkashov and the "Nashis" thing to be more something along the lines of "every stupid AMERICAN Reddit's cringey and edgelord meme about the Russians is true to a fault", seasoned with backward projection of opinions and 2020 views than something based on, you know, reality.
TBF those guys are very wacky in OTL to say the least. We just haven’t seen them get actual power thankfully. So their portrayal in this story isn’t totally unbelievable.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s me but I personally saw the transition to madness in the Russian government believable. Things were already going back for Russia in OTL that something like a fascist putsch wouldn’t have been completely out there.
Knowing Russia I think its more that any possible outcome for that situation would be way out there
This is the world's largest feudal empire turned communist autocracy, its already a bizarre state and things were bound to only get weirder from there

Knowing Russia I think its more that any possible outcome for that situation would be way out there
This is the world's largest feudal empire turned communist autocracy, its already a bizarre state and things were bound to only get weirder from there
I understand why people complain about things getting too crazy in AH stories. This one though had a good build up and involved very crazy people to make it real.

I'm not opposed to things getting crazy but there always need to be some sort of build-up and the right people need to be involved.

I think the problem here is that what we're seeing is more of a case of:

"let's take this obscure, completely unknown guy, who is hated by his own comrades* because they think he's a crazy guy who keeps writing creepy nonsense, and who would do It would be a huge favor to the rest of the movement if it would just shut the fuck up.
Turn the fringe, delusional opinions of said crazy person that no one knows into the dominant opinion within the organization, and then give this group of crazy people free rein."

rather than a description of something that could realistically happen.

That's why the criticism of "things going crazy."

*Here, "comrade" is defined as meaning that "NOMINALLY they share the same ideas, but in practice they do NOT, and they are much more likely to spend more time fighting each other than standing together."
Basically, when the trope of "the friend no one likes" is extended to politics.

I think the problem here is that what we're seeing is more of a case of:

"let's take this obscure, completely unknown guy, who is hated by his own comrades* because they think he's a crazy guy who keeps writing creepy nonsense, and who would do It would be a huge favor to the rest of the movement if it would just shut the fuck up.
Turn the fringe, delusional opinions of said crazy person that no one knows into the dominant opinion within the organization, and then give this group of crazy people free rein."

rather than a description of something that could realistically happen.

That's why the criticism of "things going crazy."

*Here, "comrade" is defined as meaning that "NOMINALLY they share the same ideas, but in practice they do NOT, and they are much more likely to spend more time fighting each other than standing together."
Basically, when the trope of "the friend no one likes" is extended to politics.
I mean we’ve seen obscure unknown guys be able to find ways to get power before in real life. The NSF’s rise looked like a well written case of it.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
We now have a couple pages talking current politics.

I suggest that folks cease and desist. Otherwise it will be necessary to either take actions on a number of posters, or alternatively. close the thread altogether

HARD times calls for HARD MEN to make HARD CHOICES while HARD. The average AH member is not hard enough to make those hard choices while hard, nor comprehend the circumstances under which those hard choices must be made.

"Did you really have to go 500km out of your way to burn down that orphanage?"

Bruh don't ruin my hard character moment!

Since @Sorairo will be leaving on 15 April, I decided to make three maps showing the year of 2024 in the world of his three timelines, since this was my favorite TL by him, this is the map that I put the most detail in.

The only thing that I am completely unsure of, is whenever if the Pashtun-majority areas in Baluchistan are a part of Afghanistan or not, for convenience, I assumed that the Taliban seized the Pashtun-majority regions from Baluchistan, and thus, Baluchistan only claims the territory without controlling them.

Edit: Given the rampant depopulation of the post-war Russia, I have decreased the number of the total Oblasts in European Russia, using the pre-2018 Economic Regions of Russia as a base, I have furthermore updated Serbia and Montenegro having equal status.

The colored dots in Brazil, Bolivia Peru, and West Papua are isolated tribes.
ND0PJ6c.png

rp1Htdh.png
Here are the final world maps I made for Bush vs. the Axis of Evil and The Footprint of the Mussolini, as a final goodbye letter to the Sorairoverse.
The Next-Gen WorldA islands update were made by @iori, I also planned to add some fixes by @Library of Alexandria but I forgot to, I am also too incompetent to know how to properly add Iori's pacific islands coastline revamps, so the ones you see here are the default ones.

Insurgencies, isolated tribes, etc. - Constantly-updated OTL Q-BAM map with all conflicts, insurgencies, de-facto militia control, and isolated tribes, by YeastCartography on DeviantArt

All of the artworks featured in this map are by the Russian Nationalist painter Ilya Glazunov (1930-2017), they are:
Eternal Russia (1988)

The Mystery of the 20th Century (1999)

The Market of our Democracy (1999)

The "computer menu" is actually the contents inside of the "Cheget" nuclear briefcase (Ядерный Чемоданчик) featured in this story.

I took some liberties in choosing the flags of the Russian Republics involved in the Second Russian Civil War, I for example, chose the Tatar Nationalist flag instead of the flag of OTL Tatarstan, pre-1993 flag designs, etc.

Last edited:
Hey @athgtq16129 can you not use the word "autistic" here? Besides the fact that it's not how the word is supposed to be used here, it is incredibly insulting towards autistic people like myself.
I have removed it, I am autistic myself also, and I used it to refer to all of "my" psychedelic acid trip amateur "art", not referring to other autistic people, but I still understand it and have removed it.

Thanks for understanding. I really appreciate it. Didn't know you are autistic as well.
On this topic of some people replying to my comments including the maps, I may or may not keep sporadically updating them as time goes on (for example: I previously amalgamated Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands as a single state, so I had to break them up in an update), so the maps that you see on the replies may not be the most up-to-date and accurate ones.

That said, it is useful to mention that I personally do not like neither the WorldA nor Q-BAM projections, the XK-BAM is my thing and the map that I most spend time working on as a hobby, but given that the WorldAs are the most simple ones to make, and I already previously did a big The Death of Russia map series last year, I decided to just make a fixed and up-to-date version for all of the three Sorairoverse stories, I also might update the previous complete map series of this timeline that are very incorrect and outdated, I may not like the WorldA projection, but I also cannot tolerate making incorrect maps, so I feel an innate need to correct them.

Since @Sorairo will be leaving on 15 April, I decided to make three maps showing the year of 2024 in the world of his three timelines, since this was my favorite TL by him, this is the map that I put the most detail in.

The only thing that I am completely unsure of, is whenever if the Pashtun-majority areas in Baluchistan are a part of Afghanistan or not, for convenience, I assumed that the Taliban seized the Pashtun-majority regions from Baluchistan, and thus, Baluchistan only claims the territory without controlling them.

The colored dots in Brazil, Bolivia Peru, and West Papua are isolated tribes.
vxoDewt.png

q3onp72.png
Here are the final world maps I made for Bush vs. the Axis of Evil and The Footprint of the Mussolini, as a final goodbye letter to the Sorairoverse.
The Next-Gen WorldA islands update were made by @iori

Insurgencies, isolated tribes, etc. - Constantly-updated OTL Q-BAM map with all conflicts, insurgencies, de-facto militia control, and isolated tribes, by YeastCartography on DeviantArt

All of the artworks featured in this map are by the Russian Nationalist painter Ilya Glazunov (1930-2017), they are:
Eternal Russia (1988)

The Mystery of the 20th Century (1999)

The Market of our Democracy (1999)

The "computer menu" is actually the contents inside of the "Cheget" nuclear briefcase (Ядерный Чемоданчик) featured in this story.

I took some liberties in choosing the flags of the Russian Republics involved in the Second Russian Civil War, I for example, chose the Tatar Nationalist flag instead of the flag of OTL Tatarstan, pre-1993 flag designs, etc.

Looks pretty good but Russian republics should be gone. And there is far too many oblasts IMO. Some probably would have population of from hundreds to thousands. But yes, it is hard to make alternative administrative divisios for such devastated nation but realistically it would be very different.

Looks pretty good but Russian republics should be gone. And there is far too many oblasts IMO. Some probably would have population of from hundreds to thousands. But yes, it is hard to make alternative administrative divisios for such devastated nation but realistically it would be very different.
I just used the default pre-2008 Oblast reorganization map, you are right that it is difficult to come up with consistent administrative divisions that reflect the timeline as well as the author's intent (such as most of the Middle East in The Footprint of Mussolini still having the same subdivisions of OTL and the turbo-Israel having the same subdivisions of the Arab countries it devoured, when in that world they would also look radically different).

And by meaning "Russian Republics" you mean the ethnic minority republics right?, something that I could do with the map right now would be to remove the autonomous status of such republics, to signify that they no longer serve their function as being the republic of the ethnic minority, also, I am planning to solely remove the autonomous status of the republics in European Russia, the ones in Siberia and the FEK remain intact, since the ethnic minorities of that region were not as decimated.

Also I got really bothered at how the Uralic survivors of the nuclear genocide would settle in such a tiny area of Finland (which I marked as autonomous, to signify that non-Finnish peoples now live in there attempting to preserve what little culture and identity they have left) instead of in the whole of Karelia and the Kola Peninsula, I know it makes little sense, but the Greater Finland with Karelia and the Kola Peninsula looks so good on a map aesthetically-wise.

For this, I would have Montenegro be marked with a "harder" border than Vojvodina or Kosovo to denote how it is nominally a constituent republic of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia/State Union of Serbia and Montenegro, but it otherwise looks good to me.

For this, I would have Montenegro be marked with a "harder" border than Vojvodina or Kosovo to denote how it is nominally a constituent republic of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia/State Union of Serbia and Montenegro, but it otherwise looks good to me.
In my maps, I use the philosophy of the SUCK V2 color scheme:
suckcolors.png

However, I also use the lightest color to highlight a military occupation, so putting Montenegro as brighter than Vojvodina and Kosovo could cause confusion in making people think that Serbia is militarily occupying Montenegro, so my best guess for a solution is to maybe color Montenegro with a color denoting it as independent, but surrounded by a line with the color of Serbia, as if it is like the EU?

In my maps, I use the philosophy of the SUCK V2 color scheme:
View attachment 899841
However, I also use the lightest color to highlight a military occupation, so putting Montenegro as brighter than Vojvodina and Kosovo could cause confusion in making people think that Serbia is militarily occupying Montenegro, so my best guess for a solution is to maybe color Montenegro with a color denoting it as independent, but surrounded by a line with the color of Serbia, as if it is like the EU?
Either that (to denote how loose the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro was) or just having a single color for Serbia and Montenegro to denote them having equal status as the two constituent republics of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia/Serbia and Montenegro while Vojvodina and Kosovo are marked as autonomies of Serbia.

Either that (to denote how loose the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro was) or just having a single color for Serbia and Montenegro to denote them having equal status as the two constituent republics of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia/Serbia and Montenegro while Vojvodina and Kosovo are marked as autonomies of Serbia.
I will be doing a workaround to both Montenegro and the oblasts of Russia soon, should I also leave the subdivisions of Siberia and the FEK intact?, considering that they have a higher population than European Russia itself.