The Death of Russia - TL

On a completely different topic, an idea came to me a few days regarding ways that Russia's cultural works might have survived...

Ironically it rests upon the Petrograd faction (who had already done the rest of the world a service by evacuating all the artwork and such into a bunker outside of the city before 4/10 leading to their survival unlike with Moscow) utilizing a tactic similar to its far less commendable ethnic slave bartering.

Specifically, bartering the works (art, literature, music, etcetera) created by "non-Russians" (meaning non-Slavic) to foreign governments, and their cultural institutions, for food and medicine, or just private collectors for cash. Much like with the ethnic bartering, it provides Petrograd additional resources AND removes a source of cultural "contamination" from the presence of "true Russians".

I find this idea fascinating as its a situation wherein pieces of Russia's cultural heritage survives due to the actions of the very faction that is the culmination of everything WRONG with Russia (and Humanity) BECAUSE that faction viewed it as worthless beyond what they could trade them for.

Thoughts? If the above is unclear or confusing please let me know.
Remember, Daesh was big in antiqueties trafficking. So, that's not new or OOC for the Russian edition of Daesh, in absolute.

On a more entertaining note, I wonder if the Red Alert video game series will still exist ITTL?

A game chronicling a war between an invading Russia (led by Stalin who's likely to be seen in even more of a negative light considering events, and the second game having an evil Romanov would also be seen as too negative towards the reestablished monarchy) and the West would have VERY mixed chances.

Russophobia amongst customers would be a plus
But the devastation Russia's people suffered would be a negative
The sheer disrepair, incompetence, AND atrocities of the Russian military would be a negative
The fact that part of this mess was CAUSED by Russia invading several other countries would be a negative
I'm sure there are some pros and cons that I am missing, does anyone want to take a try?

On a more entertaining note, I wonder if the Red Alert video game series will still exist ITTL?

A game chronicling a war between an invading Russia (led by Stalin who's likely to be seen in even more of a negative light considering events, and the second game having an evil Romanov would also be seen as too negative towards the reestablished monarchy) and the West would have VERY mixed chances.

Russophobia amongst customers would be a plus
But the devastation Russia's people suffered would be a negative
The sheer disrepair, incompetence, AND atrocities of the Russian military would be a negative
The fact that part of this mess was CAUSED by Russia invading several other countries would be a negative
I'm sure there are some pros and cons that I am missing, does anyone want to take a try?
Originally red alert was a quick cash in spinoff from the mainline c&c games, so the loss of that storyline would have minimal effects on Westwood studio's plans. Probably some alternate history with the death of hitler causing a more competent nazi empire or something instead.

However the events of the war and especially 4/10 would probably rip the heart out of war games in general, which ironically enough might actually Westwood from being acquired by EA.

Originally red alert was a quick cash in spinoff from the mainline c&c games, so the loss of that storyline would have minimal effects on Westwood studio's plans. Probably some alternate history with the death of hitler causing a more competent nazi empire or something instead.

However the events of the war and especially 4/10 would probably rip the heart out of war games in general, which ironically enough might actually Westwood from being acquired by EA.
The whole Call of Duty franchise might not exist too.

I could see the Fallout series having Russia as the enemy rather than China like OTL.

I am not sure if there would be Fallout or other post-apocalypse franchise. Probably many would feel them too dark and too real. At least these probably are not as popular as in OTL.

cex

Banned
If The Romanovs becomes a television show here similarly to The Tudors and The Borgias, who do you think will play Peter himself? How about the rest of the main cast?

How would Russian history be seen in-universe?

Just tragedy after tragedy and disaster after disaster since Alexander II's assassination. And before that since days of Peter the Great botcheded attempts to be European great power. And before Peter the Great some extremely backward country on edge of Europe.

cex

Banned
One tragedy after another, culminating in the utter destruction that was 4/10.
The First Rome died in 476.

Byzantium, the Second Rome, perished in 1453.

Here, Russia, The Third Rome, died in 1996.

The end of the 20th century has seen more than just the death of Russia. It has seen the extinguishing of perhaps the last vestige of the legacy of the Age of Empires.

The First Rome died in 476.

The end of the 20th century has seen more than just the death of Russia. It has seen the extinguishing of perhaps the last vestige of the legacy of the Age of Empires.

Whole 20th century would be seen as "Century of Tragedies". World wars, multiple genocides, lot of horrible totalitarian regimes, one nuclear civil war... That century has probably seen more deaths than any other century since rise of first civilisations.

cex

Banned
Just tragedy after tragedy and disaster after disaster since Alexander II's assassination.
People will say in this world how whenever Russia had the clear choice between salvation and destruction, its leaders always chose destruction, until its own people didn't even have a country to live in anymore.
And before that since days of Peter the Great botcheded attempts to be European great power.
It will be said in-universe how Peter, Elizabeth and Catherine could have pulled off a Meiji Restoration or Glorious Revolution, but in the end, chose themselves and the Empire above their own people.
And before Peter the Great some extremely backward country on edge of Europe.
In-universe, Peter's 'modernization' of Russia will be seen as a half-way house, technologically advancing the state but crippling Russia politically through his extermination of the boyars, which removed all accountability for the Romanov family.
Whole 20th century would be seen as "Century of Tragedies". World wars, multiple genocides, lot of horrible totalitarian regimes, one nuclear civil war... That century has probably seen more deaths than any other century since rise of first civilisations.
Eric Hobsbawm's The Age of Genocides: The Short Twentieth Century: A History of the World,1914-1996.

In this world, Grozny will be seen as a symbolic micrososm of the history of the Russian Empire: conquered by the Romanov Tsars, re-named after a tyrant who murdered millions of Tartar Muslims and Siberian natives, subjugated for centuries under Russia Red and White, and then finally the birthplace of the second Reconquista which led to the re-birth of the Caucasian nations and the total annihlation of the Russian Empire, even more completely than Prussia.

Last edited:

cex

Banned
How do you think alternatehistory would be different in DOR Verse
For starters, I imagine pre-1900 TLs to focus heavily on the Poles making their conquest of Russia during the Time of Troubles stick for a good century or so.
How about Tsar Alexander II managing to reform the Empire or a different outcome to the Russian Civil War(White/SR Komuch/Green victory?) Or perhaps even a partial/total Nazi victory leading to the early collapse of the Soviet Union?

In this world, Grozny will be seen as a symbolic micrososm of the history of the Russian Empire: conquered by the Romanov Tsars, re-named after a tyrant who murdered millions of Tartar Muslims and Siberian natives, subjugated for centuries under Russia Red and White, and then finally the birthplace of the second Reconquista which led to the re-birth of the Caucasian nations and the total annihlation of the Russian Empire, even more completely than Prussia.
Never knew about the city's name's origins. It's definitely being renamed in this TL for sure.

How about Tsar Alexander II managing to reform the Empire or a different outcome to the Russian Civil War(White/SR Komuch/Green victory?) Or perhaps even a partial/total Nazi victory leading to the early collapse of the Soviet Union?
Well, more interested here in how pre-modern alternate history would be discussed ITTL and all that.