THE DAWG POUND DYNASTY: AN ALTERNATE HISTORY OF THE NFL

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR: SUPER BOWL XLIV

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR: SUPER BOWL XLIV

“I swear…I never got as much hate mail as I did after the AFC Championship game back in January of 2010. But at the time I didn’t think anything about it. I didn’t think it was controversial at all. However Browns fans just blew up my email account. What the eff do you think you’re talking about Simms?! Curse of the Bongbino?! What the hell are you bringing that up for?! Dallas hasn’t won a Super Bowl in ten years and nobody says ‘Curse of Jerry Jones!’ And unlike Ricky Williams, Jerry Jones is a curse! They were mad. But the thing is I didn’t invent the Curse of the Bongbino! That was invented by angry callers on sports radio programs in Cleveland! I know a lot of football fans in northern Ohio felt that the NFL was pushing this narrative that the Browns were once again cursed. But you have to realize…that narrative began in Cleveland!”

- Phil Simms

From the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary “The Dawg Pound Dynasty

“It was hard to watch the Super Bowl that year. A part of me couldn’t help but relive that Favre interception over and over in my mind. I may have been getting ready for my new job as head coach of the New Mexico State Aggies, but I still had a lot of affection for the Browns. I still loved that team and the players on it. But watching San Diego get manhandled by New York…you almost wondered if the Browns dodged a bullet. As painful as the loss to the Chargers had been, losing the Super Bowl to Tom Brady and the Browns by a score of 49-3 might have been more than the city could handle.”

- Andy Moeller, former tight ends coach of the Cleveland Browns in 2008.

From the NFL Films documentary “The Dawg Pound Divorce: Tom Brady and the Cleveland Browns”

It’s funny, but I never saw Super Bowl XLIV as the mismatch everyone else in the country saw it as. Sure, New York shut down the Chargers quickly and never let them back in. Yes, they dominated the Chargers and I don’t want to take anything away from Nick Saban or the Giants. They were without a doubt the best team in the NFL in 2009. And they were without a doubt the better team that night. But I watched that game and I saw opportunity.

Jon Gruden on ESPN Radio (July 11, 2012)

Super Bowl XLIV:

New York Giants vs. San Diego Chargers New York 49-3

Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel- “The Ultimate Dawg – Former Browns Linebacker Brian Urlacher reflects on his time in Cleveland”

From August 23, 2013

Portions of a Armen Keteyian interview with Brian Urlacher.

Courtesy of CBS

Armen Keteyian: Brian, the loss to San Diego in the AFC Championship game back in 2010 seemed to have a devastating impact on the Browns psyche. Suddenly talk of a Ricky Williams Curse surfaced again-

Brian Urlacher: That was bullshit. We were two years removed from our last Super Bowl and five years removed from our last Super Bowl win. Green Bay was thirteen years removed from their last Super Bowl and nobody was saying that there was a “Curse of Wisconsin.”

Armen Keteyian: But didn’t Cleveland fans feed into that?

Brian Urlacher: A few angry fans called in after the loss to Denver back in 2006 and hinted at it, sure. But if the Phil Simms wants to base his opinions on the things people say on radio programs then I don’t think that’s the best way to do his job. There is probably some guy calling a radio station right now saying that alien lizard people live among us. That doesn’t mean you should say it on national television.

Armen Keteyian: After the loss Brett Favre many fans assumed Brett Favre would announce his retirement. Did this worry the team?

Brian Urlacher: I won’t lie, it did. Brett played for the Packers, and even when things went poorly for the Packers there wasn’t this same pressure as there was in Cleveland. The only way I can describe it is that Packers fans sort of default to optimism while Browns fans sort of default to pessimism. When he blew playoff games in Green Bay, fans forgave him. But nobody was really sure how the Browns fans would react. He didn’t have the history with us. And I think he was worried that “Favre to Driver” would become the new “Red Right 88” in Cleveland sports lore. I think he started to wonder if it was worth it anymore. But Brett was a competitor. He refused to say anything for a week after the Super Bowl, but then the itch came back. He didn’t want to go out like that. So he called Coach Gruden and told him he was back. But that in turn raised a new issue.

Armen Keteyian: Which was?

Brian Urlacher: He made it abundantly clear that 2010 would be his last NFL season. Wayne Fontes and Jon Gruden needed to start thinking about who would take over for Favre after he retired. Unfortunately our backups clearly were not going to be able to take over the team once Favre quit. Jared Lorenzen was a decent backup, but he couldn’t carry this team. Rhett Bomar was on the practice squad but he didn’t really look like he was developing like the team needed him to. And Pat White, who had been drafted in the second round, looked to be a bust. It was looking like he would be cut in the off-season. So Wayne and Jon looked to the upcoming draft for answers. Well, Jon was a revolutionary. He saw greatness is a plucky quarterback with great legs and a questionable arm. A quarterback that most football insiders felt would never adapt to the pro game due to shaky mechanics and poor accuracy. But Gruden was a believer. He remained convinced that Tim Tebow would the man who would take us to back to the Promise Land.

tebow1_zpsa3351adc.jpg

Please tell me Tebow actually does decent. I'm not expecting you to make him the second coming of Brady but a decent starting QB who you can expect to win games with would be nice.

Tebow is (was) the most underrated player in the league. It doesn't matter how good he is (was) throwing the ball, he had the uncanjy ability to win games. I don't know how he did it, but he should of had the startint job somewhere. I mean, he literaly took a terrible team to the playoffs, won a game in which they were hopelessly overmatched, and yet he was still cut and no other team picked him up with the intent to use him. Any other QB does that, and he sarts for 3 years.

Because Tebow you have to create an offense around him. You have to take out any throw over 15 yards. Most teams would rather go take a traditional qb and know they can use most of what they already have installed. If the bears didn't have cutler though he would be there cause trestman loves him.
Tebow is properly rated he doesn't have a good arm and while good under pressure as a defense you can kind of ramp up against him. And he played in the afc west when the Chiefs and raiders sucked and the chargers were having off years.

Tebow is (was) the most underrated player in the league. It doesn't matter how good he is (was) throwing the ball, he had the uncanjy ability to win games. I don't know how he did it, but he should of had the startint job somewhere. I mean, he literaly took a terrible team to the playoffs, won a game in which they were hopelessly overmatched, and yet he was still cut and no other team picked him up with the intent to use him. Any other QB does that, and he sarts for 3 years.

I got a first hand look at the magic of his when he played my Steelers in the playoffs. I'm still looking back on that season of his and still trying to figure out how he was able to do that. I honestly think if put into a situation where someone fully believed in him and was willing to put him in an offense he could succeed in he'd have been at worst a decent QB and good one at best.

FDW

Banned
Because Tebow you have to create an offense around him. You have to take out any throw over 15 yards. Most teams would rather go take a traditional qb and know they can use most of what they already have installed. If the bears didn't have cutler though he would be there cause trestman loves him.
Tebow is properly rated he doesn't have a good arm and while good under pressure as a defense you can kind of ramp up against him. And he played in the afc west when the Chiefs and raiders sucked and the chargers were having off years.

Actually at the time The Raiders were merely mediocre, it was when five head came in that the team was deconstructed because of salary cap reasons.

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE: THE 2010 DRAFT

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE: THE 2010 DRAFT

2010 NFL Draft

Courtesy of ESPN

Aired April 22, 2010
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT.

goodell2010_zps8a3b2146.jpg

(We see NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell standing at a podium, about to announce the next pick)

Roger Goodell: And with the 29th pick, the Cleveland Browns select…Tim Tebow, quarterback, Florida.

(The crowd erupts in cheers. The screen shows Tebow’s family hugging each other as well as views of Browns fans celebrating.)

(We return to the table where hosts Chris Berman, Tom Jackson, Gary Moeller, Steve Young, Herman Edwards and Mel Kiper Jr. are sitting.)

TOM JACKSON: Well, despite really showing a lot of interest in Tim Tebow in recent weeks, I still would have to classify this as something of a surprise. Our good friend, Browns head coach Jon Gruden, made it abundantly clear that he was very interested in the quarterback from the University of Florida, but I won’t lie, not many people expected him to use his first round pick on Tebow.

MEL KIPER: This is just a disastrous pick for the Browns. That delivery still bothers me. You can’t live in the NFL with that sort of delivery. He’s not that accurate. He doesn’t have a good arm. This is just not the kind of move that the Browns should be making here in the first round.

HERMAN EDWARDS: Well Brett Favre made it clear that this was his last season in the NFL. I think that the Browns didn’t want to relive the nightmare of 2008 when they were caught with their pants down after quarterback Tom Brady went down in the opening game with an injury. This is a good situation in that they can bring in Tim Tebow, and there will be no rush to start him right away, and spend the season working on his mechanics. He will be working under one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, and hopefully by 2011 he can take over once Favre retires.

MEL KIPER: You can’t reinvent the wheel when it comes to something as fundamental as this. Near future, long term, I just don’t see Tim Tebow being a successful quarterback in the NFL.

TOM JACKSON: And I know Jon Gruden was impressed with Tebow’s leadership skills, but you can only lead if you are playing. A leader in the NFL needs to also be a contributor. And I don’t know if Tebow has what it takes to contribute to this team.

HERMAN EDWARDS: 88 touchdowns…he dominated in college, and I think he can do well in the NFL if he is brought along properly.

MEL KIPER: But they have one season and then what? Jon Gruden took a gamble on Pat White and look how that worked out for him. This can be the kind of decision that haunts a team for years, particularly considering that they passed on Jimmy Clausen.

STEVE YOUNG: Gary, this is your former team. What do you think about the Browns drafting Tim Tebow in the first round?

GARY MOELLER: You know I got into a lot of trouble speaking my mind about the Browns right before the AFC Championship game. I really took a hit for that one a lot of folks thought that I was way to hard on Brett Favre and Jon Gruden.

STEVE YOUNG (laughing): So you want to take a pass on this one and not beat up on Tim as well-

GARY MOELLER: No...Tim has a lot of leadership skills. But, he will need some work. I won’t lie, he wouldn’t have been my pick…but I do see something in him. If Jon remains patient and works with Tim, he may surprise you all. Something tells me that kid has something special about him and I wouldn’t bet against him. He is in the right environment to shine, and I think he might just surprise us all.

“I think a lot of people feel that not finding a backup for Tom Brady was the one critical mistake my father made as a head coach. And I think that influenced Jon Gruden as a result. My father found this diamond in the rough in Tom Brady. Nobody expected him to pan out, and then in 2001 he is the Browns starting quarterback. Even after winning a Super Bowl that season there were people who told my father they needed to cut him. Brady threw six interceptions against only one touchdown in the playoffs. And although he had a respectable season, he hadn’t yet developed into the Brady of legend. He threw only threw 19 touchdowns that season, respectable, but not awe inspiring. Many felt that the Browns needed to upgrade as Brady was widely regarded as a mid-level quarterback who couldn’t carry the team if The Flats lost a step. I remember Mel Kiper saying that Brady was the same caliber of quarterback as Shaun King that year. But my father kept the faith and he was rewarded for it. Brady blossomed into a Pro Bowler. As a result, dad might have been a little to patient with some of the other quarterbacks he had. John Navarre, Ryan Leaf, Jeff Smoker...my father didn’t want to give up on them because he remembered the last time he didn’t give up on his quarterback. But Gruden never had that experience. He had more of a ‘show me what you can do and make it quick’ mentality. After one season Pat White was let go. Instead, Jon Gruden turned to the draft to find the next great Cleveland quarterback. And he then made the decision that was called both the greatest draft pick in NFL history…and the worst. I really think that 20 years from now football fans will still be arguing about if Gruden was a genius or a fool.”

- Andy Moeller, former tight ends coach of the Cleveland Browns in 2008.

From the NFL Films documentary “The Dawg Pound Divorce: Tom Brady and the Cleveland Browns”

The 2010 NFL draft is still regarded as one of the most successful in league history. With ten Pro Bowlers picked with the first ten picks, there were no shortages of winners in the draft. And yet 2010 is not remembered as the year that the Chiefs found their quarterback of the future in Sam Bradford. Nor is it remembered as the year the Bengals finally ended their streak of disastrous draft picks when they selected Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. It will go down in history as the year the Cleveland Browns drafted Tim Tebow. It will go down in history as the year that the Browns threw away their draft pick on a projected fourth rounder with terrible mechanics and poor arm strength.

It’s just not fair.

Sometimes you can do everything wrong and still end up on top.

From the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary “The Dawg Pound Dynasty

Cleveland Browns 2010 Draft Picks:

First Round:

(29th overall) Tim Tebow QB Florida

Second Round:

(50th overall) Sean Lee LB Penn State (From the New York Jets)
(61st overall) Tony Mueaki TE Iowa

Third Round:

(93rd overall) Alterraun Verner CB UCLA

Forth Round:

(128th overall) Ed Wang T Virginia Tech

Fifth Round:

(150th overall) Austen Lane DE Murray State (From the New York Jets)
(161st overall) Dan LeFevour QB Central Michigan

Sixth Round:

(199th overall) Erik Cook C New Mexico

Seventh Round:

(237th overall) Robert McClain CB Connecticut

Undrafted rookies:

Chris Ivory RB Tiffin
Frank Zombo LB Central Michigan
Cassius Vaughn CB Ole Miss

2010 Cleveland Browns Pre Season Starting Lineup:

QB Brett Favre

RB Ahmad Bradshaw

FB Peyton Hillis

TE Antonio Gates

WR Donald Driver

WR Wes Welker

LT Marcus McNeill

LG Jonathan Goodwin

C Nick Hardwick

RG Anthony Herrera

RT Michael Oher

DE Robert Mathis

DT B.J. Raji

DE Austen Lane (Rookie)

LB Brian Urlacher

LB Desmond Bishop

LB David Harris

LB Chase Blackburn

CB Brandon Flowers

CB Lito Sheppard (Free Agent)

S Quinten Mikell

S Michael Johnson

K Ryan Succop
P Chris Kluwe

Notable Bench Players:

QB Tim Tebow (Rookie)
QB Rhett Bomar
QB Colt Brennan (Free Agent)
QB Dan LeFevour (Rookie)

RB Chris Ivory (Rookie)

FB Quinn Johnson

WR Lance Moore
WR Steve Breaston

TE Tony Moeaki (Rookie)
TE Dan Gronkowski (Free Agent)

T John Greco
T Ed Wang (Rookie)
G Evan Mathis
G Alex Boone
C Erik Cook (Rookie)

DE Jacob Ford
DE Frostee Rucker

DE/DT Michael Bennett

DT Alan Branch
DT Roy Miller

LB Frank Zombo (Rookie)
LB Sean Lee (Rookie)

CB Robert McClain (Rookie)
CB Cassius Vaughn (Rookie)
CB Alterraun Verner (Rookie)
CB Mike Mickens (Free Agent)

S Courtney Greene

Players who left in off season:

DE Vonnie Holliday (Free Agency)
LB Antonio Pierce (Free Agency)
CB Antoine Winfield (Free Agency)
QB Pat White (Released)
QB Jared Lorenzen (Released)
RB Adrian Peterson (Released)
TE Garrett Mills (Released)
TE Eddie Williams (Released)
C Chris Morris (Released)
DT Gabe Watson (Released)
CB Stoney Woodson (Released)
S DeAngelo Smith (Released)

Last edited:
Please tell me Tebow actually does decent. I'm not expecting you to make him the second coming of Brady but a decent starting QB who you can expect to win games with would be nice.

I got a first hand look at the magic of his when he played my Steelers in the playoffs. I'm still looking back on that season of his and still trying to figure out how he was able to do that. I honestly think if put into a situation where someone fully believed in him and was willing to put him in an offense he could succeed in he'd have been at worst a decent QB and good one at best.

I can't really answer this without giving away a lot, but I will just say this. Tim Tebow will mirror OTL. But everything good and evrything bad...amp it all up to 11. :eek:

So don't mean to be a bubble burster butwhy didn't the Browns just franchise brady?

This is still bugging me the more I think about it as well. I think I need to do a little retcon here to explain why this doesn't happen as oppose to leave it up in the air.

Good input redsox! Appreciate it. ;)

And a FYI for everyone, this is how I see the top ten draft picks going:

1. Kansas City: Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma
2. Cincinnati: Ndamukong Suh, DT Nebraska
3. Minnesota: Eric Berry, S Tennessee
4. Buffalo: C.J. Spiller, RB Clemson
5. St. Louis: Gerald McCoy, DT Oklahoma
6. Washington: Trent Williams, T Oklahoma
7. Tennessee: Ryan Matthews, RB Fresno State
8. Philadelphia: Russell Okung, T Oklahoma State
9. Detroit: Earl Thomas, S Texas
10. Tampa Bay: Joe Haden, CB Florida

This is still bugging me the more I think about it as well. I think I need to do a little retcon here to explain why this doesn't happen as oppose to leave it up in the air.

Good input redsox! Appreciate it. ;)

Have him sign an extension to 2006 then have the browns do franchise tags in 2007 and 2008. The way the franchise works is first year is top 5 average at position year 2 is top 3 average at postion and year 3 is average of top 3 salaries which makes untenable for the browns to do

Love the fact the Bill's still took Spiller like the OTL. The more things change the more dumb franchises still keep making the same dumb picks.