The Cuban Missile War Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two Minutemen placed on alert at Vandenberg on October 27, rising to five on alert by October 31st. These were taken off alert once the crisis ended.
Two Minutemen placed on alert at Malmstrom on October 27, rising to nine on alert by October 30th.

Thanks for the additional info! I found a trusted source that said the Minuteman I did not achieve Initial Operational Capability (IOC) until 30 November 1962, although some "operational" missiles were delivered to the Air Force in July. Apparently with the crisis spinning up the decision was made to make available all assets, even the ones that may not be fully ready, and these must have been the missiles that you referenced above.

Not sure if already discussed but would Johnson's forced desegregation hurt race relations and blacks in the long run? I mean given how Johnson goes down in history as a tyrant, southerners now even have more reason to hate on the blacks, as supporters and beneficiaries of his tyrannical rule.

JSmith

Banned
Not sure if already discussed but would Johnson's forced desegregation hurt race relations and blacks in the long run? I mean given how Johnson goes down in history as a tyrant, southerners now even have more reason to hate on the blacks, as supporters and beneficiaries of his tyrannical rule.
Only in their minds since as far as many OTL Southerners were/are concerned desegregation was forced. In TTL there is even more justification to do so -so they are still wrong-even more so.

I don't really think so, perhaps a NAFTA but they are fundamentally very different states. Heck I could see the Canadians being more interested in trying to achieve some sort of Realm Union first.

This is a really interesting TL. I don't like what happens to LBJ for obvious reasons, but I guess I can understand why he does it. LBJ a dictator?! :eek: Hmph. Super depressing TL. I dunno how this would affect my parents. I believe my mom was in Ithaca, NY and my Dad was in Cleveland.

Last edited:
As a Canadian I feel like you missed out on some aspects, namely that the entire Canadian government would have survived the Cuban Missile War by hiding out here furthermore there were other bunkers already set up in other cities for Canadian government and civil authority figures. I think this would change the Canadian part of your TL substantially.

For instance, Diefenbaker's anti-Americanism would prevent any kind of offer to America regarding troops coming north to maintain order.

Last edited:
Just bought it for my Kindle a minute ago. Oct 1962 is my all time favorite PoD, because I was four-going-on-five and living in Maple Heights. It is possible that I would have survived the war and aftermath, if a little iffy, so I can project myself into these kind of ATLs.

Amerigo,

As Calbear said at the outset - this is easily one of the very best alternate histories that I have ever seen. I was quite pleased to be able to read it.

If you are looking for tweaks to make, however...the one critique that stood out to me on this thread was Workable Goblin's:

This thread is too long and I'm too busy atm to read all of it, but I did read the first entry, and I have a minor quibble with the issue of the US losing its superpower status after the war. While China, undamaged and with a huge population, would certainly gain prominence in this world, America is still largely undamaged (the vast majority of the population survived at least the initial attacks), and still possess a large industrial base (even with several major industrial centers annhilated). In fact, America might end up being even MORE of a superpower than before because China and Europe will likely require substantial aid to modernize/rebuild (the Sino-Sovit split, IIRC, had not fully set in yet--and even so, China didn't really take off until trade liberalization), and with the USSR and most of Europe blasted from the face of the Earth the US is the only remaining country with enough technical, industrial, and agricultural capacity to do so. That is, if the US doesn't go back to '20s and '30s style neutrality, which is quite possible, though even in that event US companies will probably still be important in the post-war world.

Lots of butterflies in this world. But it is hard to imagine them butterflying away America as a great power, even if it is bit by an inward-looking bug in the rebuilding years.

I would think China would have got hit by at least a few Bombs.

They also Hungary. From what I know, it was not hit by anything due to what happen in 56.

I would also like a look at popular cultural, and such.

I really did enjoy the last version, and would gladly subscribe to a reboot.

Another good idea would be to make a timeline in the same format as this, except focusing around the escalation of another Cold War crisis (e.g. Yom Kippur War, Able Archer, Suez, Vietnam...).

Status
Not open for further replies.