The Crusade of Constantine

Constantinopolis, Easter in 337th Year of our Lord
Emperor Constantine was throwing a feast for his court to celebrate easter. Constantine was planning to launch his Grand Invasion of Sassanid Perisa this time next year, and unite Perisan and Roman Christians into one State. He was talking to his son sitting next to him, Constantius II about the nature of christ. Constantius II was a devout Arian, and Constantine was desperatly attempting to get him to accept the Nicean Creed. A servant brought thier food and the debate was put on hold. Constantine began chewing his food, but spat it out. He shouted at his servant that the food was terrible and to fetch some more. The Debate continued with neither Constantine or Constantius giving in. As Spring turned into Summer and Summer into fall, the Empire was in a turbulant state, several legions were being shifted from the frontiers and new legions were being raised. Constantine settled into a hasitly built palace in Jerusalem and began spiritualy preparing for his religious war. It is said he refused meals to spend time praying. On Christmas day, Constantine was blessed by the Patriarch of Jerusalem, and is said to have spent all day in the Church of the Holy Sephelcure. With the conclusion of the Christimas chuch season, Constantine prepared for war.

By Easter of 338, all 18 legions, 90,000 men in all for the invasion had ammased by Jerusalem. In a splendid ceremony, he was baptized in the River Jordan and his campaign began. After a month of marching the Army reached the upper Euphrates and Constantine Personally crossed the Euphrates first into Sassanid Persia. The army marched in great splendor south towards Ctephsion, local pesants looked in awe at the strange invading army. The soldiers shields were adorn with Crosses and there clothing was pure white, it seemed this was Gods Personal Army. Many Local christians flocked to the army armed with crude weapons with the intent of assisting the Romans. It is said a whole legion could have been raised with the number of Chirstians flocking to the invading army. In no time the Army was at the gates of Ctephsion, and began laying siege. The Sassanid commander Merena launched a desperate attack against the Romans. His attack met some initial sucess, but after his soldiers noticed how he sacrificed his fallen foes blood to egyptian gods. This deeply offended his zorasteran soldiers and he was struck down by one of his own men. Constantine triumphiant, entered Ctephsion and was praised by the local christians there. Constatine didn't allow his army to sack the city, to show that they were not barabarians.

Constatine I split his army into three groups. The first Column commanded by Constantine would have 50,000 men, this column would push to the Persian Gulf. His Nephew Hanibalius would command 30,000 men which would move into the upper Euphrates and then to invade Persia proper. Constaines other nephew Dalmatius would command 10,000 men to invade Persian Southern Arabia, then he would sweep back up the other side of Arabia and back into roman lands. The plan began with stunning results. Constantine took the city of Bashra on the Persian Gulf and completed his portion of the campaign. Constantine carved up Mesopotamia into three provinces, one south of the Euphrates, Secca Arabia, one north of the Tigris, Assryia, and one inbetween the two rivers, Mesopotamia. Constantine left a Two Legions in each province and returned to Constantinople, arriving just intime to Celebrate Christmas. However, he had to head for the Rhine River, due to increase barabrian activity. Dalmatius, moved south into southern arabia and took them with ease, however the Heat was deadly to the romans in thier heavy armour, and more fell to heatstroke than by the enemy sword. Dalmatius after taking Arabia Felix made camp for the winter, which felt like the italian summer. He soon moved up along the red sea, stopping in a small village known as mecca to give his men time to rest, in addition this stop is attriubted to the spread of chirstianity into arabia. Dalmatius moved north again, and by the time he reached Petra and Roman Lands, only 3,000 soldiers were left, Arabia was turned into two new provinces, Arabia Felix which was the coastal areas of southern arabia. The desert inbetween was made into the "Province" of Medius Arabia.

The Campaign of Hannibalius was less sucessful, Hannibalius managed to destory parthian resistance in the North of Mesoptamia, but he was less sucessfull on the Iranian Plateau, the Terrian was tough for the Romans and partisan resistance was increasing, slowing the roman march. The Roman Army with great struggle managed to reach the Hindu Kush mountains, with less than 10,000 men left, Hannibalius was in no position to continue and with his stragling army retreated towards the relative saftey of Roman Mesoptamia, The Iranian Plateau was made into the province of Bactria, was the outermost reaches of rome and was subject to frequent raids. By Sassanid Partisans, who were holding out at the extremities of thier empire. Constantine after crushing a baraian Invasion at the Rhine returned to Constantinople and held a triumph, which lasted several weeks. Constantine began sending missionaries to the newly conquered lands. Constantine would not persecute Zorasterans to encourage willing conversions. Armenia was also Annexed to the Roman Empire, and the Caucusus Mountains became a new frontier for the Empire. Constatine fell ill in 345, and died peacefully in his sleep, before dying he named his son Constatine II as emperor, Constantius II as Caesar under Constantine in the West, and Constans as Caesar under Constantine in the East (OTL Eastern Roman Empire is now known as Mid Rome).

Inspired by Constantine's "Crusade" by Commandant Spangler

Last edited:
Map 1

This is a map of the world at the time of Constantines Death. The color scheme is the same as that of the base map thread found here.

C345.png

A bit Rome wanky - I wouldn't have expected Rome to annex 2/3 of Sassanid Persia, and especially the whole of the Arabian peninsula. The Sassanids are probably going to invade with a pretty large army now that Constantine is dead, and will get some support via rebellions with all the Persians that Constantine just conquered. I can see 'East' Rome holding them off at Ctesiphon or somewhere else, and making the Tigris a well fortified Roman border line, and the Arab peninsula could be a solid pool of wealth for Rome. It's a tad more of a Rome wank than what I imagined, but I can live with that. I'd like to see more.

EDIT: Also, I think you should add a little to the army's size - that's approx. the same amount as Julian the Apostate's army that invaded, and while Constantine was a solid general, I don't know if he was good enough to do that much better in his campaign with basically the same army. Maybe up it 30,000...

Wow! You managed to made to Costantine the dreams of all Roman emperors: the conquest to Persia! :eek:

And you split the Empire in three parts... this is going to be epic :D

Well the romans claimaed arabia as a "province" they were in somewhat control of Southern arabia, but the rest was simmilar to Germania before Teutonbourg forest, plus the sassanids did, last, Constans might be able to hold off some of them, but im sure the sassanids will make some gains, or maybe focus in a new direct, maybe North? Considering armenia was a roman vassal, i guess none have a problem with it being annexed :)

The end result of all those conquests would be a VERY large Byzantine Empire. Perhaps, Islam would either take root elsewhere....or not at all. Hope someone will pick up where the story ended and explore BOTH possible scenarios

The end result of all those conquests would be a VERY large Byzantine Empire. Perhaps, Islam would either take root elsewhere....or not at all. Hope someone will pick up where the story ended and explore BOTH possible scenarios

If it does take root it will be pretty awesome I mean hellinization will probably begin soon. When Muhammed does come along we will prebably see a much different form of islam.

Also wouldn't it be better to set up some vasal states in arabia and persia just so that you can have your buddies hellinize without the romans doing anything about it?

BUMP 2 :( should i add an update or give up
Keep going! I'm just being a nit-picky jerk; I still want to see this done! :)

Islam probably won't happen - the PoD is what, 300 years before Islam? That's a bit too long beforehand, IMVHO - the butterflies would have a lot of time to fly. I'd say make an alt Islam-esque religion that takes a lot of Zoroastrian influences too.

Keep going! I'm just being a nit-picky jerk; I still want to see this done! :)

Islam probably won't happen - the PoD is what, 300 years before Islam? That's a bit too long beforehand, IMVHO - the butterflies would have a lot of time to fly. I'd say make an alt Islam-esque religion that takes a lot of Zoroastrian influences too.

A reason in more to see a world divided between Christianity and Zoroastraism.

I guess WRE will become Arian, MRE ( Middle Roman Empire, OTL ERE) Monofisist because of Zoroastrianism influence and ERE aka Persia Zoroastrian. Also in India Parsism and Sikkism could be more successful while in Bengal a Thug Empire can rise.

One of the "Empires" that Rome is split into consists entirely of recently conquered territory. I see serious stability issues there.

Probably, but in the end Persia could be one of the bearers of Roman heritage ( and i never tired to see Roman Zoroastrian Emperors...:D), while i guess the MRE ( hope nobody will be upset if i use the term i coined for this TL) was the first to fall (Sack of Costantinople?), the WRE fighted for his survival, and ERE pushed back the barbarians to its frontiers...