The Black Eagle: A Hohenstauffen Timeline

Rum is a sultanate. It is the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum. In this time it should be about to splinter meaning the ERE is even in a better position. the ERE should target restricting the turks back to a position similar to that of Manuel Megas.

Rum is a sultanate. It is the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum. In this time it should be about to splinter meaning the ERE is even in a better position. the ERE should target restricting the turks back to a position similar to that of Manuel Megas.
I am thinking after the ERE destroys Rum what would be its next objective since destroying Rum is one of my objectives in this timeline and I was thinking would vassalizing Cilician Armenia and Sicily would put the Byzantines in a better position?

Yep; the Battle of Kose Dag against the Mongols was the deathblow of the Seljuk Sultanate. Not only did it lead to the splintering of the Turks, but said Turks were forced to buy goods in the territory of the Empire of Nicaea, helping it immensely OTL. It's just that the Nicenes were, historically, focused on reconquering Constantinople that they weren't able to focus on the east.

Yep; the Battle of Kose Dag against the Mongols was the deathblow of the Seljuk Sultanate. Not only did it lead to the splintering of the Turks, but said Turks were forced to buy goods in the territory of the Empire of Nicaea, helping it immensely OTL. It's just that the Nicenes were, historically, focused on reconquering Constantinople that they weren't able to focus on the east.
The ERE needs to be not distracted if it wants to survive.

Here is one of the Wines produced in this timeline.

slanzak_gorzalka_by_kasumigenx-d61t4w3.png

MarieBrabant.jpg

Maria of Brabant, Queen of England
After the death of her husband on 1285, Philip III of France, she has decided that she should marry an English Prince and be a queen again, inspired by Eleanor of Aquitaine, she decided that the son of Edward I, John I of England is fitting to be her husband and married him on 1286, she gave birth to a son named Edward, Duke of Cornwall on June 4, 1287, her daughters Margaret and Blanche were betrothed to Rudolf of Habsburg and Charles Robert of Provence respectively, the birth of the Child made England and France more connected diplomatically and aside from that the marriage caused a leak of information between the French court and the English court since Maria of Brabant goes back and forth from the French court and the English court.

On 1290, the son of Edward I, Edward is betrothed to Margaret of Norway, the fair Maid of Scotland, the future Queen of Scotland nad and to that he becomes the future monarch of Scotland and for this reason England now has some influence on Scotland, the Maid of Norway was made the Queen of Scotland after her own arrival, their future marriage meant that Scotland would now fall under English influence.

-The Eastern Roman Empire launches more offensives against the Sultanate of Rum.
-A Mosque in Jerusalem was built by muslims.
-Some Jews decide to return to Palestine
-Edward, duke of Cornawall, son of Maria of Brabant and John, Prince of Wales is born.

-Kunigunde of Bohemia marries Leszek the Black, the Duke of Poland.
-Jadwiga of Greater Poland marries Wladyslaw the Elbowhigh.
-Euphemia of Kuyavia marries Ladislaus IV of Hungary, this causes Poland and Hungary's ties to be more closer.

-The Eastern Roman Empire attacks the Sultanate of Rum and annexed the Ankara are where settlers from Galicia were invited to settle because the muslims were obligated to be expelled or convert.
-Euphemia of Kuyavia gives birth to a son named Ladislaus(born June 4, 1289).

-Margaret of Scotland is betrothed to Prince Edward of England.
-Przemysl II of Greater Poland dies in 1290 and his daughter, Richeza is kidnapped by Henry Probus of Wroclaw and later engaged promptly to Henry Probus of Wroclaw a few months after her father's death in order to guarantee Greater Poland to himself, Leszek was shocked of the incident but accepted it.
-Anna Laskarina marries Yuri of Galicia, strengthening the ties of Galicia-Volhynia and the Eastern Roman Empire.
-Philip IV of France marries Jeanne of Navarre who was betrothed to him for a long time since the start of her reign, resulting in the integration of Champagne to the royal demesne.

-Pope Clementine(Clementino) I aka Hugo Aleramici becomes the Pope and replaced Pope Nicholas IV, he becomes a pope that has many mistresses and revealed that he has children of his own causing scandals in the Roman court, Conrad I of Italy is very much pissed off of him, he has a 50 years rule in the papacy, although Clementine grants Conrad the title King of the Romans, the Aleramici faction gets strength in Italy.
-Prince Louis of France is born on October 4, 1291.
-Dauphine swears fealty to France which is ruled by Philip IV, the Kingdom of Germany suffers dissintegration and the King of Germany title just becomes nominal.
-Savoy, Saluzzo and Montferrat, the duchies that are in the border of Italy and Burgundy finally swears fealty to the Kingdom of Italy, it meant that all of the italian duchies are under Conrad I.
-Ugolino, with his brother Guido or Vadino Vivaldo, was in command of this expedition of two galleys, which he had organized in conjunction with Tedisio Doria, and which left Genoa in May 1291 with the purpose of going to India "by the Ocean Sea" and bringing back useful things for trade.
-Eleanor of England is married to Alfonso III of Aragon.

-The Eastern Roman Empire and the Duchy of Epirus wars with each other due to the Duchy of Epirus not wanting to be vassalized under the Eastern Roman Empire, this resulted in the vassalization of the Duchy of Epirus by force to the Eastern Roman Empire.
-The Kingdom of Sicily is made into a protectorate of the Eastern Roman Empire to guard against the agression of the Kingdom of Italy.
-Anna Laskarina gives birth to a son named Lev on June 4, 1292.
-Eleanor of England, Queen of Aragon gives birth to a son named James on October 8, 1292.

-With the help of the Kingdom of Italy, France starts a war against the republic of Genoa resulting in the cession of the County of Nice to France, this weakened the Republic of Genoa.

-Pope Clementine was surprised about the Eastern Roman vassalization of the Kingdom of Sicily but there is nothing that they could do because the Eastern Romans are now stronger.
-Marco Polo returns revealing the strange lands in the east and starts to write a book about them.

-The Vivaldi brothers arrive in a weakening Genoa but they discover new lands such as the Canarias and Mali, Genoa is too weak to support another expedition by them.
-France and England have guaranteed peace in Gascony due to Maria of Brabant's intervention.

-The Duchy of Polotsk becomes a fief of the Novgorod Republic which had just recovered from the Mongol attacks.
-Sweden gets Murmansk and Karelia which were former parts of Novgorod republic due to the destruction of Novgorod in the Mongol raids.

-Novgorod annexes Livonia and Semigalia from the Teutonic Order and makes peace with Sweden and renounces the lands acquired by Sweden in order to get an ally against the Teutonic Order.
-The Duchy of Gdansk-Pomerania is inherited by the Grandson of Mestwin II in an agreement that it would be subordinate to the duchy of Greater Poland.

-Blanche Capet is married to Rudolf of Habsburg and Margaret Capet is married to Charles of Provence, this made the French ties to Habsburg and the French fief of Provence stronger.
-The book of Marco Polo the travels to strange lands becomes published and copied by people.

The Teutonic Knights lose Curonia to the Novgorodians due to the aid Sweden which made an allegience with the Novgorod republic.
-John IV Laskaris wars with the Kingdom of Cyprus annexes back the island of Cyprus to the Eastern Roman Empire and annexes the remnants of the Latin Empire of Constantinople and also annexes more of the Sultanate of Rum turning it into a rump state.

-Edward of England marries Margaret, Queen of Scoltand and Norway, making him the King of Scots or King of Scotland and Norway.
-The Betrothal between Premysl Ottokar of Poland and Anna of Bohemia is revealed after the death of the son of Wenceslaus II, this is a measure to prevent a German marriage to acquire Bohemia.
-Richeza of Greater Poland marries Henryk of Wroclaw.

Last edited:
Countries
Switzerland
-Divided between France, Germany(Habsburg areas) and Italy although Valais and Geneva remains independent but Italy and France has interest on them.
Italy
-The ruler is declared as the King of the Romans.
France
-Allied with Italy and in a temporary truce with England over Gascony due to Maria of Brabant.
Poland
-The Duchy of Krakow or rather the Duchy of Poland and the Kingdom of Bohemia is about to merge completely but under the Piast Dynasty but at this point it is still divided but a majority of Silesia and Greater Poland is under the rule of Henryk Probus of Silesia, the duke of Pomerelia is an underling of Henryk Probus after his marriage with Richeza of Greater Poland.
Eastern Roman Empire

-Regained Sicily and Epirus as fiefs and regained a majority of Anatolia.

Last edited:
Alternate Northern Italian National language

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sub-Alpine sermons in one of the variants of the national language of the Kingdom of Italy[/FONT]
Ço fo à dir: e' non hay mia ço fait, mas tu qui me dones la femena. Or dis nostre Senhor: "Tu di' que eu t'hay fait pequer, e eu troveray art e engeig per que tu seyes delivre del peca. Or t'en torneras là dun e' te fis, car ben es dreit e justicia que zo que e' fis abia la penitentia e espeneça ço que e' contradis." Or Senhor frere, vardem que noi no siam engignay, si cum to lo nostre premer pare Adam; mas sí prenem izemple del segunt Adam, ço es nostre Senhor Jesu Crist, qui venque lo diavol.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Orthography[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]que - /ke/[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]gue - /ge/[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]qu'e - /kwe/[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]gu'e - /gwe/[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Letters consonants [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sh – Sh as in sheep[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]J – J as in Judge or si as in Vision[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ch – Ch as in Chica[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ç – ts as in ts in Cats and Tsunami or th as in thin or s as in Sand[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Z – Z as in Zone or ds as in Suds[/FONT]

Last edited:
index.jpg

A Horizon in the South of Orient
In the late 13th century, the population of Irraya started to increase and due to that the town of Irraya started to expand and flourish that it absorb it's nearby towns, Irraya started to look more as a progressive town.
The population increase also happened in Meykawayan and Irraya although it is less than that of Irraya.
Due to the population of Irraya and it being a trading hub in Ma-I it became a big city and very prosperous compared to other towns in Ma-I, and second to it is Meykawayan and third is Lingayen in Kaboloan.

nippon.jpg

Mongol Invasion of Nippon
In 1274, The first invasion devastated the Nipponese. The battle took place on the beaches where the two forces met. The Mongols had several advantages; the Nipponese were overwhelmed and began to retreat. Not knowing they had won, the Mongols feared the Nipponese were coming back with reinforcements and retreated but they decided to stay and hide in a remote area in Nippon instead in the Kanto region instead of boarding again the ship that they ride from Korea.

During the time period between the first and second invasion, the Nipponese prudently built two-meter walls to protect themselves from future invaders and the Nipponese did not see the Mongols would invade Nippon very successfully and wipe off Nippon from the map.

Seven years later, the Mongols sent another army in 1281 they were able to land themselves in North of Nippon in Fokuriku(later Hokuriku) wherein they marched and later assisted by their allies that once hid once they knew about the landing of another army , Kublai Khan followed after he knew that the Mongols were successful in invading Nippon and Emperor Yohito( Go-Uda Tenno) was forced to submit but Yohito does not want Nippon to depend on the Mongols and rebels against their new liege and because of that, Yohito and his son, Kuhiharu and Yohito, and the rest of his family and clan was stripped of his titles, banished and exiled creating their own polity in Tohoku in 1290 and some even went to Ryukyu and Taiwan, the first Emperor in the new polity is Kuniharu, while the daughter of Yohito was married to Manggala by force in order for the new polity in Hokkaido and Tohoku to have peace with the rest of Japan, the son of Yohito although it styles itself as the legitimate government of Nihon it is called as the Ezo Kingdom , The invasion and invasion of Western part of Nippon was described as a wrath of gods and gone down to history as an event that had changed history and no one would believe that the Nipponese Archipelago can be a superpower because Nippon has been crippled because of the Mongolian Annexation, because of the belief wrath of the gods some people in Nippon lost their faith in their traditional Shinto and Buddhist religion decided to convert to Nestorian Christianity and in general, the Nestorian faith recovers in Asia instead of being destroyed and becomes the basis of the future new churches in Asia.

Apparently, the Mongols decided annex the western part of Nippon as Mongol dominion with which is ruled by Manggala because the Yamato dynasty of Nippon is very hostile against the Mongols at this time and the Nipponese don’t want to cooperate with the Mongols, the Mongols decided not to bother with the budding polity in Tohoku(Tofoku) and Ezo by the members of the former royal family which vowed to get the rest of Nippon the new Japonic language in the eastern part of Nippon that is heavily laden with Ainu words starts to develop and the new polity has a tolerance to the Nestorians and after this the Nipponese became quite fragmented.

Nestorianism in East Asia at this point although recovering also starts to splinter into the new National Eastern Churches, because of the influence of the native religions and Buddhism.

If only Nippon had been more luckier they could had survived the mongols they could had been united and a power that defeated the Mongols and have pride in defeating the Mongols but they were not lucky.

That is what I am doing in this TL..they will end up like the Sultanate of Granada in the end of 15th Century I think.

Pope Clementine
Pope Clementine(Clementino) I aka Hugo Aleramici becomes the Pope and replaced Pope Nicholas IV, he becomes a pope that has many mistresses and revealed that he has children of his own causing scandals in the Roman court, Conrad I of Italy is very much pissed off of him, he has a 50 years rule in the papacy, although Clementine grants Conrad the title King of the Romans, the Aleramici faction gets strength in Italy.
borgias_302_0143r.jpg

A Scene on the TV Series the Aleramicis

Conrad I: You look so despicable and corrupt!
Pope Clementine:I can grant you one thing that you cannot resist and it is the title of the King of the Romans
Conrad: Please grant me that title and I will not dare touch you!
Pope Clementine: I would be happy to serve you
Pope Clementine was very lecherous and had many children and this children included Alexandre/Lissander and Lucrezia.
Alexandre is groomed to become a successor of Clementine but he could not fit in that role because he is more lecherous than his father and wants to be more powerful than his father while Lucrezia was a girl known for her betrothals and the betrothals that don't really end up well due to Clementine changing his mind about the betrothals.
Lucrezia had a betrothal with the Mayor of Milan which was very successful and Lucrezia is married to the Mayor of Milan in 1293.
Lissander approached Conrad I and told him to make Alexander one of the advisors of Conrad I but Conrad I said no, and said he does not deserve any position.
Lissander was very much evil as well due to him being known to kill his servants who erred.
Conrad I of Italy and Lissander did not like each other due to the lechery and lust for power of Lissader and aside from that Lissander was called scum in the court of Conrad I of Italy.
Lissander was exiled from the court of Conrad I of Italy and went to the court of Pope Clementine, his father who also did not accept him as well so the fate of Lissander remained in limbo but later Lissander proved himself worthy of the court so he was allowed by his father to reside in his court with the condition of not doing what he did.
In this time the lecherous Lissander was able to acquire a harem for himself which annoyed everyone including the Pope.
On 1294, Pope Clementine was surprised about the Eastern Roman vassalization of the Kingdom of Sicily but there is nothing that they could do because the Eastern Romans are now stronger and due to this he is afraid about the Eastern Roman Empire and what it could do to the papacy but Conrad I of Italy did not lift any finger for Clementine whom he never liked anyway so instead Clementine spent most of his time in Conrad's court instead where he was not treated very well.
Lissander and his harem were a very talked much matter in Rome and for this reason the reign of Clementine was tarnished because of what Lissander did and due to this Clementine made it quite difficult to Lissander by separating him from his court and putting him in a house where in he can't bring his harem in but Lissander will do everything to be able to put his own harem there.
Clementine was also sad because of the Teutonic Order's loss of Livonia to Novgorod but Clementine decided not to intervene because there is no way for the Teutonic Order to regain that land and aside from that there are bigger fish to catch for him and this is the approval of the Kings of France and Italy to start a crusade in order for him to gain much wealth which will also feed his son Lissander.

Last edited:
He is weak and passive because he is stripped of the Papal States decades earlier.

You mentioned Conradin taking Latium in 1271-1272, but that's not the entirety of the Papal States (unless I'm very much mistaken).

And it still leaves it kind of weird how no one really seems to care to stop this.

Everyone is just friendly or passive. Whether it makes sense or not.

No troubles from the Guelphs - heck the Lombard League being the one to make Conradin king of Italy - Louis IX being unconcerned about his brother's fate . . .

It's like everyone except the Staufen and Laskarids are paralyzed.

Also, why on earth would the Papacy elect someone like this thinly disguised Borgia?

You mentioned Conradin taking Latium in 1271-1272, but that's not the entirety of the Papal States (unless I'm very much mistaken).

And it still leaves it kind of weird how no one really seems to care to stop this.

Everyone is just friendly or passive. Whether it makes sense or not.

No troubles from the Guelphs - heck the Lombard League being the one to make Conradin king of Italy - Louis IX being unconcerned about his brother's fate . . .

It's like everyone except the Staufen and Laskarids are paralyzed.

Also, why on earth would the Papacy elect someone like this thinly disguised Borgia?
Yes, because Latium and Spoletium was the only land of the papacy at that time, Romagna was given to the Pope by the Habsburgs, this does not happen because Germany is in utter Chaos at this point and Latium and Spoleto is annexed by Conrad I of Italy.

He is elected because he was able to at least deceive the bishops but when he sit at the papacy his own dark secrets were revealed.

Here is a preview of the next update...this is before the divergence.

"In 1264 he escaped assassination plot by Treniota and Daumantas against his father and two of his brothers. Treniota was murdered by former servants of Mindaugas. Vai[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]švilkas allied himself with his brother-in-law Shvarn from Halych-Volhynia. They managed to take control over Black Ruthenia and Duchy of Lithuania. Then they waged a war against Nalšia and Deltuva, two main centers of opposition to Mindaugas and Vaišvilkas. Daumantas, Duke of Nalšia, was forced to flee to Pskov. Suksė (Suxe), another influential duke from Nalšia, fled to Livonia. Vaišvilkas become the Grand Duke of Lithuania. As a Christian, he tried to maintain friendly relationship with the Teutonic Knights and the Livonian Order. He signed a peace treaty with Livonia regarding trade on the Daugava River. Lithuanian support of the Great Prussian Uprising ceased, and the orders made advances against Semigallians and Curonians uninterrupted. Together with Shvarn Vaišvilkas attacked Poland in 1265 to avenge devastation of Yotvingians in 1264."[/FONT]

Lithuaniae et Novgorodiae
In 1264 he escaped assassination plot by Treniota and Daumantas against his father and two of his brothers. Treniota was murdered by former servants of Mindaugas. Vaišvilkas allied himself with his brother-in-law Shvarn from Halych-Volhynia. They managed to take control over Black Ruthenia and Duchy of Lithuania. Then they waged a war against Nalšia and Deltuva, two main centers of opposition to Mindaugas and Vaišvilkas. Daumantas, Duke of Nalšia, was forced to flee to Pskov. Suksė (Suxe), another influential duke from Nalšia, fled to Livonia. Vaišvilkas become the Grand Duke of Lithuania. As a Christian, he tried to maintain friendly relationship with the Teutonic Knights and the Livonian Order. He signed a peace treaty with Livonia regarding trade on the Daugava River. Lithuanian support of the Great Prussian Uprising ceased, and the orders made advances against Semigallians and Curonians uninterrupted. Together with Shvarn Vaišvilkas attacked Poland in 1265 to avenge devastation of Yotvingians in 1264, due to what happened to him, he became a strict and wise ruler who advances his countries causes before his own and he loves his country above his own life, after this point he became known as Basil I of Lithuania.
Vojshalk.png

Basil I of Lithuania

The Mongols attack Lithuania on 1270 causing it to be crushed but King Basil I of Lithuania is not discouraged of the destruction of Lithuania but instead he decided that the survival of Lithuania is a miracle that should be celebrated and he told his court that he is still alive and they should be thankful of this miracle because Lithuania will rise again and when it rises again it will be one of the great nations that ever existed, later on he married Anna, the daughter of a late ruler of Novgorod.
Basil I of Lithuania also became the ruler of the Republic of Novgorod as Basil I of Novgorod in 1270 due to the electors liking what Basil I did in Lithuania and how he stopped the teutonic attacks, in his first acts as the ruler of Novgorod, he reformed the Republic of Novgorod and attacked the Golden Horde and allied with the Ruthenian duchies and due to that he got the trust of the other Ruthenian duchies or principalities and due to that the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Novgorod's union was solidified and the people wanted the union between the two stay, aside from that the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Novgorod is losing its powers in the North and the Sweden is starting to control the tribes of Karelia and Murmansk, the tribes of Karelia and Murmansk became more happy with trading with the Swedes rather than their current master, the ruler of Novgorod, Lithuania is merged with the Republic of Novogrod and formed the Duchy of Novgorod-Lithuania which is just known for the outsiders as Novgorod and due to that it is believed that the merger of Lithuania and Novgorod strengthened Novgorod and now it is Novgorod that is attacking the Teutonic Knights but they are weak on the Northern part or the areas near Sweden due to the tribes near Sweden preferring Swedish rule rather than Novgorod rule.
Anna of Novgorod gave birth to a son named Vladislav, in 1270, her son has been raised on the Orthodox faith.
Due to the preference of the tribes of Karelia and Murmansk, Sweden annexes Murmansk and Karelia completely on 1296 which were former parts of Novgorod which floated away from the control of the republic due to the destruction of Novgorod in the Mongol raids.
On 1297, Novgorod annexes Livonia and Semigalia from the Teutonic Order and makes peace with Sweden and renounces the lands acquired by Sweden in order to get an ally against the Teutonic Order.

Last edited: