The Big One books

Ok, these books have a place in my heart for both getting me into "deep" alternate history and sparking a paradoxical love of "good" bad fiction. I found it bizarrely fascinating how they went from mediocre, dull World War II stories to out-there tales of Communist Imperial Chipan and immortal manipulator heroes who knew everyone famous and were half of everyone famous in history, and then went full circle back to mediocre, dull, WW2 stories. That they weren't the cliche PODs a lot of pop alternate history made them stand out, even if in not quite a good way.

I'm curious how many other AHers have experience Stuart Slade's airpower-er-centric tales?

Deleted member 2186

Ok, these books have a place in my heart for both getting me into "deep" alternate history and sparking a paradoxical love of "good" bad fiction. I found it bizarrely fascinating how they went from mediocre, dull World War II stories to out-there tales of Communist Imperial Chipan and immortal manipulator heroes who knew everyone famous and were half of everyone famous in history, and then went full circle back to mediocre, dull, WW2 stories. That they weren't the cliche PODs a lot of pop alternate history made them stand out, even if in not quite a good way.

I'm curious how many other AHers have experience Stuart Slade's airpower-er-centric tales?
Like them, have almost all of them, but that is only my point of view.

I found their premise extremely interesting...it's the execution that severerly lack at both writing and reserch level (at least for anything that's not weapon related), plus the mix of nasty petty jokes and republican (tea party style) cheerleading are a little too much for my taste.
But honestly what irk me really are the demons (the immortal 'heroes') that basically Slade use too much and are a too evident author tool/pet.

Some great reads early on. The first one was clearly the best. Some of the others set in the 50's 60's and 70's around SAC we're also really solid. He lost me with space squirrels and thousand year old demons.

And then he wrote The Salvation War on stardestroyer.net... did anyone read that before it was "disappeared"?