The best Ancient and Medieval movies that have never been made

Susano

Banned
Peloponnesian War is a good one too, but it's kind of long and tedious, so mostly only history geeks like us would really get into it.
Besides, theres not exactly a "good" side in that. I mean, I find it hard to have sympathy with either side...

How about a movie featuring Gustavus Adolphus? Or was he too "larger then life" for Hollywood?
Grrr...

Anyway, since Janprimus mentioned a Duke of Brabant, Ill mention Sophia of Thuringia/Hesse, the daughter of St Elisabeth of Hunagry/Thuringia, her involvement in the Thuringian War of Succession (using Marburg as the powerbase built up by her mother) and the foundation of the Landgraviate of Hesse ;)

Hmm:
A movie about the Peloponessian war would be nice, time to get the Spartan and Athenian fanboys out on the street fighting

A movie about Gustav Adolph was already suggested, but that could indeed be nice, a fat Swedish king riding out on the battlegield kicking Catholic ass!!

For a given value of 'source'. A comic.

Exactly.

Hmm:
A movie about the Peloponessian war would be nice, time to get the Spartan and Athenian fanboys out on the street fighting

A movie about Gustav Adolph was already suggested, but that could indeed be nice, a fat Swedish king riding out on the battlegield kicking Catholic ass!!

I wonder how everyone goes after Elizabeth I, but doesn't consider how cool Gustav Adolf was if you were a firm Protestant. Oh, wait, OTL is an Anglo-centric world.

Susano

Banned
I wonder how everyone goes after Elizabeth I, but doesn't consider how cool Gustav Adolf was if you were a firm Protestant. Oh, wait, OTL is an Anglo-centric world.

Maybe the reason is that Elisabeth didnt lead a friggen marauding army through an entire country that all in all killed a third of said countrys population? Even if admittedly not only or not even in majority by that army, but it was certainly Gustav Adolph who kept the bloody war going on and on and on. There is realyl absofuckinglutely nothing at all about him to celebrate! If people really believe idiotic small differences about how one worships ones imaginary friend justify such actions theyre absolutely living in the wrong time!

I would like a movie that is entirely historically faithful. There are plenty examples of historical events/figures that even if they were followed to the letter, would be great movies. No more Hollywood butchering is what I want.

Also, about a movie of George Washington. I think that would be a slightly loaded cannon, since if they tried to deviate from what actually happened, you'd probably have a sizeable group in the U.S. protesting and maybe even shouting treason. I'd hate to be the film maker/script writer taking a few historical liberties when writing about him. Would be seen as treasonous by someone and who knows what might happen.

OTL Britain likes to think Tudor england was not a second rate power :p

Everybody loves to exalt the victory over the Spanish Armada. Too bad 16th century Spain was a rising power, and France and the Austrian Habsburgs were doing well, too.

Maybe the reason is that Elisabeth didnt lead a friggen marauding army through an entire country that all in all killed a third of said countrys population? Even if admittedly not only or not even in majority by that army, but it was certainly Gustav Adolph who kept the bloody war going on and on and on. There is realyl absofuckinglutely nothing at all about him to celebrate! If people really believe idiotic small differences about how one worships ones imaginary friend justify such actions theyre absolutely living in the wrong time!

Ah, the Thirty Years War really screwed up everybody, didn't it.

archaeogeek

Banned
And yet that is what people want to glorify him for. Fuck that shit.

It,s kind of funny, when people portray Richelieu as a historical quasi-villain it's always about his and Louis XIII's ruthless centralization of power at the expense of the high nobility and the french free cities and provinces, and never about how he's one of the people most guilty about the "30 years" part of the 30yw.

It,s kind of funny, when people portray Richelieu as a historical quasi-villain it's always about his and Louis XIII's ruthless centralization of power at the expense of the high nobility and the french free cities and provinces, and never about how he's one of the people most guilty about the "30 years" part of the 30yw.
Yup, without the backing of France, Gustav Adolph could not have run wild in the HRE.

Back to topic.

I think there should be a movie about king Mithridates the Great of Pontus. Problem: He loses, and he had three antagonists, the consuls Sulla, Lucullus and Pompeius. Yes, he lost three times, but bounced back every time. Would only work as a tragedy.

Septimius Severus also might be interesting.

And I bet there still isn't a correct and interesting movie about Caesar. Or Cleopatra.

I actually think that the historical "villains" we vilify are not as evil as we assume and the "heroes" we exalt are not all saintly.

History has always been a gray and grey matter.

I actually think that the historical "villains" we vilify are not as evil as we assume and the "heroes" we exalt are not all saintly.

History has always been a gray and grey matter.
In a lot of cases, historical villains are even worse than their movie counterparts. Kingdom of Heaven, for example, toned down Raynald of Chatillon because they thought making him as bad as he really was would make it even more unbelievable.

Adaptations of Imperium and (less historically accurate) Pompeii, the Robert Harris novels, would both be fantastic.

I suppose really I mean a film following Cicero's life would be great, because he got just about everywhere during the fall of the Republic.

Sandmannius

Banned
I always liked the idea of the mutiny of the Batavia turned into a movie, in the Golden Age of the Dutch Republic the Dutch send a ship with roughly 340 passengers to colonize Nieuw Holland (modern day Australia), but a mutiny happened and the ship crashes on the Australian west coast, oddly enough not everybody knows that the mutiny took place. The mutineers send away whatever soldiers there are to find fresh water, hoping that they never return, and start murdering people and such. Eventually the soldiers signal the rest of the colonists that they had found a water supply, and the mutineers come and attack them, only to get defeated by the loyaltist soldiers in an epic final stand in a hastily made natural fortress.

The soldiers then return to the site of the shipwreck and find the 300 something colonists shaken with fear, fighting amongst themselves and corpses everywhere etc. The soldiers then take over again and return to Batavia in small barges after quickly hanging and executing whatever mutineers they can't afford to take with them (taking the worst offenders to Indonesia to be put on trial and tortured). After the mutiny of the Batavia, the Dutch made no other attempt at colonizing Australia.

Anyways, despite my rusty recollection of the terrible, dark and sad event, it has many things in it that could provide for an interesting movie, drama, thrill, action, epic final stand etc. Now let's hope Hollywood doesn't fuck it up to much.

Did you know that the mutineers wanted to establish their own kingdom on Australia with all the stolen VOC silver and gold that was on the Batavia? Pretty crazy huh.

Edit: correcting my spelling

Last edited:

Faeelin

Banned
I don't know how you make a movie about the Dutch War of Independence.

"Unending Siege IV: This Time, Nothing Happens."

The 4th Crusade would make a great film, but will never happen.

Zioneer

Banned

I'm guessing you're not a fan of the Ring of Fire series, then?

And to be fair, weren't Gustav's contemporaries, like Wallenstein and Tilly worse then he was?

EDIT: Ah, now I see. My bad, I don't know much about the Thirty Years War; admittedly I only know of Gustav Adolph from the Ring of Fire series, where he's treated as something slightly short of the nicest ruler around.