"The Beginning of the End of History" - Politics in the Golden Age of Science Fiction

The Beginning of the End of History

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
"The Beginning of the End of History" - Politics in the Golden Age of Science Fiction

Hey everyone!

So, this is something I've talked about for a little while, and what do you know, I've finally got around to it.

Many of you may be familiar with my other timeline: "Where Are We Going This Time" - The Golden Age of Science Fiction. Well, this takes place in the same universe, it's just the political half. I'll try to answer a few of your questions in advance here.

How will this tie in to the pop-culture timeline?
When pop-culture is important to politics here (it is occasionally), it will get mentioned here. Where politics is important to pop-culture (it is very), elements of this will get mentioned there. Neither will be required reading for the other, but I think you'll get more out of reading them both. Still, I want this to be interesting to someone who isn't into my pop-culture timeline, and vice versa.

What will the scope of this be?
The scope will be global, and as a result, I won't be going into as much detail with particular events as many other timelines would where they focus on a particular country. Technically, the POD for the timeline is 1983, when BBC executives decide to make Swallows and Amazons Forever! a full multi-season series, rather than just one. No, seriously. However, the political timeline (this) kicks off in 1989. I accept that this is somewhat unrealistic, but by the time I'd decided I wanted to make this, the in-universe year was 1997. I wasn't going to start from scratch, and I'd had some pretty slow moving butterflies in that timeline already. Consider this a Type II timeline. I'm making everything as realistic as I can, but there is an inital gambit of implausibility. I mean, Back to the Future is a Doctor Who film ITTL.

Will this affect how often you update WAWGTT?
Hopefully not. I've not always been the best at updating that on a consistent schedule (see the three month gap, or uploading at least one update a day almost every day in January). This is more so I can express the political changes happening in the timeline that would be happening anyway. I'm not touching politics in WAWGTT too much anyway, so this is just sort of bonus.

How will your style compare to WAWGTT?
I'm continuing a lot of my style, though I'm going to make the threadmarks clearer as to what's going on. I'm probably going to clear up WAWGTT's threadmarks too. Events occur in a more "chronological" manner within an update, which is only natural, as I'm talking about political events, not the production of a season of Doctor Who. I can't guarantee it will translate well, but I'll do my best to make it good. I've only written pop-culture stuff so far, so the first few updates may be a bit rusty as I figure out politics.

Will any of your collaborators be joining you?
Unlikely right now. There are a few people who contribute to WAWGTT, not least of all by partner in crime, @The Chimera Virus, who has put up with me doing the planning for this for a while. I think I'll be doing the updates alone for now, but that was the case on WAWGTT too. I can't predict the future.

Should you have any other questions, feel free to ask them. Equally, constructive crticisim is always welcomed. So, without further ado, I declare this timeline open!

Next Time: The Tiananmen Square Protests, or "Democracy With Chinese Characteristics"

Last edited:
The Tiananmen Square Protests

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
The Tiananmen Square Protests, or "Democracy With Chinese Characteristics"

“Zhao is praised for his reforms that democratised China, but if you compare his rule to the way China is now, he was still a very authoritarian figure. Of course, history will forever see him as the man that brought ‘freedom’ to China once more. But when learning about why Fukuyama’s famous ‘end of history’ comment was so wrong, we need to look through history with an unobjective lens, especially when it’s still in living memory.”​
- Clip from a 2020 University of Nottingham lecture, from the module Contentious Politics: The Struggle for Democracy in Greater China. [1]

The vote against the imposition of martial law had been a close one, and given the current situation, it was unlikely to be the last one within the Politburo Standing Committee (PSC). Qiao Shi had unexpectedly sided with Hu Qili and General Secretary Zhao Ziyang, but if the protests did not end soon, his position would likely change. [2]

The “Eight Elders” were not happy with this. They were already dissatisfied with the lack of progress, and the news that the PSC had voted against martial law signalled to them that no clear solution would be coming soon. Deng personally vowed to take down Zhao and his supporters, seeing them as an obstacle to the future of China. This sentiment was mirrored by many of the protesters, who called for the removal of Deng and the Premier, Li Peng.

On May 19th, Zhao visited Tiananmen itself, meeting with many of the students. He urged them to end the hunger strike, and for them to stay healthy for their own futures and the future of China as a whole. While Zhao continued speaking with student leaders, Deng began working on his plan to remove Zhao from the party’s leadership.

Relatively little happened for the next few days, other than the protests growing. More cities saw protests, and those that already had them saw more people join them. By this point, many groups within the CCP itself were calling for its members to support the protests, as the party began to fracture on the issue. The situation in China was clearly building to a crescendo, and the world watched uneasily to see which faction would come out on top.

The “point of no return” came on May the 27th, as Xu Qinxian voiced his support for the protests, and allowed for his troops to abandon their posts and join the demonstrators. Many of his men took this opportunity, and it became clear that the balance of power was shifting away from the Elders. Hours later, Ni Zhifu, the leader of the All-China Federation of Trade Unions, called for a general strike in support of the protesters. [3]

The following day, Deng called for the 12th Army to be airlifted in from Nanjing to restore order in Beijing, but by the time they had arrived, the garrisons and many of the army groups nearby had joined the protests. Tanks were in the streets of Beijing, but much to the surprise of Western observers, they were there in solidarity with the protesters. If there was a moment where Deng could have stopped the protests, it had long since passed. The 12th Army was refused entry into the city by both protestors and troops already within.

Zhao knew that this was the moment. If he didn’t act fact, the protests could turn violent at a lack of progress. Though technically illegal, Zhao requested that the garrisons within the city place the “Eight Elders” under house arrest, effectively seizing power. Zhao was now the undisputed paramount leader of China.

On the 1st of July, 1989, Zhao appeared to the protesters once more, telling them that their demands had been heard, and that “the obstacles to your patriotism have been dealt with”. He announced that an independent investigation into corruption within the party would be underway, and that free elections would be held at the first opportunity. The hardliners in the party were stripped of their positions, in what amounted to an outright purge.

The West collectively breathed a sign of relief, as unexpectedly, China seemed to be democratising. Of course, the truth was far more complex.

The Tiananmen Square protests are, in modern China, viewed as a wholly patriotic movement, in no small part due to Zhao’s efforts to win the country over to the new government. In many historians’ books, they marked the beginning of the Autumn of Nations, which would last for the next two years. The peaceful change in China spurred many in the Eastern Bloc to take to the streets themselves, and by the end of 1991, the Eastern Bloc had fallen, Germany had reunified, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia had broken up, and over 20 nations had gained their independence from the Soviet Union. [4]

These events would lead to Francis Fukuyama penning the essay "The End of History", in which he posited that the world had settled on liberal democratic governments. The essay, and the following book The End of History and the Last Man, were highly controversial at the time, especially among groups that supported other ideologies.

Next Time: The End of the Soviet Union - “Refugees, Gendarmerie, and Yeltsin’s First Mistakes”

[1] Real module, fake quote. Also, why I chose the thread's name should be apparent now.
[2] I'm aware that this has been used in another timeline recently, "To Rebel is Justified". I looked desperately for another POD once I realised this, but it's really diffcult to get one this late on in the protests, which is when I wanted it.
[3] I can't guarantee how realistic these actions, or the rest of the actions in this update are. It's difficult/impossible to get a clear view of what happened behind the scenes at the time. This update, much like early WAWGTT are sort of means to an end that I've tried to make as plausible as possible.
[4] Just the teensiest bit of a teaser there.

A lot of this update may be changed later on. I'm trying to make it as best as I can, but I'm really new to political timelines, so I'm bound to make some mistakes.

The End of the Soviet Union

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
The End of the Soviet Union, or "Refugees, Gendarmerie, and Yeltsin's First Mistakes"

"In the west, there's this image that the 1990s were all quiet in the former Soviet nations, a moment of peace while we adopted market economies. It couldn't be further from the truth. It wasn't anarchy, but the police weren't doing their job. A lot of the economic aid went straight into the pockets of oligarchs, and very little of it went to families like mine. I know a lot of people from back home that looted what they needed. You held onto anything to keep an illusion of normalcy. I've been back to Kiev a lot, and things are so much better now, but the governments really had to be brought into the modern world kicking and screaming. There were no shortages of '21st Century Men' there."​
- Ukranian-American politician Kira Pavlovych on her childhood in post-Soviet Ukraine. [1]

The dissolution of the Soviet Union was not due to any one individual reason, rather, it was the culmination of many other events. Increasing demands for autonomy in the constituent republics, economic instability amidst Gorbachev’s reforms, and increasing political freedoms resulting in the populace being able to voice their discontent with the system more openly.

By 1990, it had become clear that if the USSR was to survive the coming events, it would do so with a greatly reduced territory. In the elections, six republics voted in non-CPSU governments, namely Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Moldova, Armenia, and Georgia. In the following months, all three Baltic republics would either declare independence or would take steps towards it.

In the Caucasus, events were less straightforward. There were significant ethnic tensions between the Armenians and Azerbaijanis, which came to a head in January that year. After the Armenian SSR announced that it would include the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh in its budget for the year led to significant unrest among the Azerbaijani population. Though the army was sent in to restore order, the violence with which they acted only led to further unrest. By the end of January, Soviet forces had taken control of Baku, though small skirmishes with civillians would continue into the next month.

These events would lead to the Azerbaijani SSR unilaterally declaring independence in July, following the lifting of the state of emergency and subsequent elections in which the Democratic Bloc gained an overwhelming majority. The exclave of Nakhchivan had declared independence earlier in the year, though it was unclear as to whether it would decide to join with the rest of Azerbaijan. Georgia would declare independence in early 1991. [2]

While events in the western republics and central Asia were more quiet, at the end of August 1990, Tatarstan would declare its sovereignty, the second ASSR to do so, and the first region of the Russian SFSR. There was relatively little fanfare to the event, though it would be incredibly important in the following years. [3]

One of the most important events for the Soviet Union in 1991 was the election of the Russian President. Unsurprisingly, Boris Yeltsin won handily, despite the Communist Party’s best efforts. However, the election would bring the beginning of Russia’s many troubles in the 1990s. Due to their declaration of sovereignty, the election was not being observed in Tatarstan. To ensure that the election was held, the Army was sent in. While the military was strongly in favour of continued Communist rule, Yeltsin supported this move. Following Yeltsin’s election, Russia declared its sovreignty.

The subsequent political violence in Tatarstan led to neighbouring Bashkortostan declaring its independence too. Dagestan, Ichkeria (Checheno-Ingushetia), Kalmykia, Tuva, and Ossetia (North Ossetia) all declared independence by the end of the year. Military crackdowns would begin in some of these areas too, though the dissolution of the Soviet Union at the end of the year meant that these were short lived. [4]

In March 1991, a referendum had been held as to whether the USSR should remain, albeit in a highly federalised form. The result from the participating republics (The Baltic, Caucasian and Moldovan republics refused to take part, as did Ingushetia and Tatarstan), had been overwhelmingly in favour of a renewed union. Of the eight republics participating, all but one (Ukraine) would approve the New Union Treaty. The treaty was due to be ratified on the 20th of August, 1991, but there was still major opposition to the treaty, especially in the Red Army.

Eight ministers, including the Soviet Union’s Vice President, began a plot to stop the treaty from being signed, as they believed that it would lead to the Union’s demise. They later became known as the Gang of Eight.

Early in the morning of August 19th, 1991, they made their move, declaring a state of emergency in the union, bringing many tanks onto the street of Moscow. It was, in no uncertain terms, a coup d’etat. The tide would soon turn against them, as the people of Moscow stood with Yeltsin, and some troops began to defect.

By the end of the 21st of August, the Red Army was pulling out of the territories that had declared independence, and many of the SSRs which had not yet declared independence did so. Though Gorbachev and Yeltsin were restored to power, it was clear to the former that the USSR was effectively dead.

The Soviet Union would recognise the independence of many of the breakaway states, and by November, Russia, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan were the only republics of the Union to have not declared independence. In December, Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus signed an agreement that the Soviet Union was now defunct as a polity. Gorbachev tendered his resignation on the 25th of December, and the following day, the upper chamber voted itself out of existence. Surprisingly peacefully, the Soviet Union was no more.

In his televised resignation, Gorbachev would lament that “the old system had failed before the new one could take its place”. The accuracy of the statement has been debated throughout the years. [5]

The following years would bring much instability to the post-Soviet nations. There were many disputed borders, not least involving Russia, which still claimed the ASSRs which had seceded from the Soviet Union. Yeltsin would debate sending in the Russian Army to restore control, but much work needed to be done to restore order to the Russian Army itself first. Plus, there was talk in the US and the EU of recognising the states, so to invade would almost certainly lead to economic sanctions, something Russia could not afford. [6]

To outsiders, the new states seemed relatively peaceful, but the truth was very different. The police in many of the nations either could not or would not keep order on the streets. There were many indiscriminate killings in the former Caucasian and western republics, as the economies collapsed. Ukranian President Leonid Kravchuk and Georgian Prime Minister Besarion Gugushvili both requested aid in keeping order. Many European nations, especially France, would send gendarmerie forces to fulfil this request. However, they were of limited use, as language barriers soon presented themselves, and forces were spread thin. Most of the aid to former Soviet-bloc nations would be economic in nature. The subsequent pro-European, rather than pro-Russian alignment of many of these nations is often attributed to this. [7]

Yeltsin did not take kindly to this, but he had enough troubles of his own. He often clashed with his government, and the army was still largely pro-communist. Russia had its fair share of economic problems, as well as political ones, which would lead to major instability in the nation, beginning with the ousting of Yeltsin in 1993. [8]

As a result of the instability in these new nations, there was a major immigrant crisis in Europe, as former Soviet citizens sought out greener pastures. Most could not afford the cost of moving to the US, and settled in the EU. The crisis was a major part of European politics for the remainder of the decade.

The “Post-Soviet Diaspora” is one of many events that led to greater cultural diversity within the EU, coupled with the admission of many former Soviet-bloc nations in the 2000s. Prominent members of the diaspora include British-Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova, Georgian-Irish singer Katie Melua, Ukranian-French actresses Milena Kunis and Olga Kurylenko, and Uzbek-Americans Rita Volk and Milana Vayntrub. [9]

With the end of the Soviet Union and the democratisation of China, political commentators looked on with uncertainty as to what the rest of the 1990s would hold for the world. Whatever happened, one thing was clear: the world come 2000 was going to look very different from how it had just twenty years ago.

Next Time: 1990 in the UK - "This Iron Lady Doesn't Rust"

[1] A few things. Firstly, there's a piece of terminology that I'm going to have to explain. A "21st Century Man" is a term for someone who is caught up in antiquated ideals, not becuase they believe them to be better, but rahter because the world they live in now is so different to that which they have grown up in. Also, that quote is based on what I have been told by people I know who lived in the former Soviet Union at this time.
[2] First big difference in the update, and it's that the elections in Azerbaijan are delayed, rather than held but rigged. Has a few knock-on effects.
[3] Tatarstan actualy did this. The rest of what happens to it is all ATL.
[4] Almost all of these are places that had separatist sentiments at the time. Fear that they'll be oppressed by Russia lead to the independece declarations. I'll be drawing up a map in the next day or two, with a few handy flags.
[5] Alright, I play this pretty close to OTL, I'll admit that. I promise that things do get properly different from about 1992 onwards.
[6] NATO is unofficially supporting the independence of the Russian breakaway states for now, and there's an uneasy peace between the states Russia as of the moment.
[7] The economies aren't doing as well, so more people want to leave. This will come up again.
[8] This is getting its own update in a bit, but yeah, Russia's troubles haven't really begun yet.
[9] Some people end up in the same place, some don't. I'm mainly doing it to establish a few things for WAWGTT, but also because I don't see this done too too often.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Interesting start.

More please.

It is possible, if barely Mrs T could have held on. Just.
I don't want to give too much away, but in the recent updates on WAWGTT, I do mention a Thatcher government lasting until '97. The next update covers the 1990 leadership challenge, which, as you may well imagine, goes a little bit differently. There is some big stuff coming in the next few updates for this.

I don't want to give too much away, but in the recent updates on WAWGTT, I do mention a Thatcher government lasting until '97. The next update covers the 1990 leadership challenge, which, as you may well imagine, goes a little bit differently. There is some big stuff coming in the next few updates for this.

Mrs T. surviving until '97 probably means the 'Blair Wave' is even larger! Hopefully the Labour govt. will be bolder about reform and the economy than OTL.

Still a longer Mrs T. government means British Rail is not privatised as Maggie was massively against the plan.

Still a longer Mrs T. government means British Rail is not privatised as Maggie was massively against the plan.
That's actually quite helpful to know!

That said, we've already disproven your "Blair Wave" remark in the "I Can't Keep Track of All Your Sworn Enemies!" update over in Where Are We Going.

[quote"...clearly a thinly-veiled criticism of the outgoing Thatcher government in the UK. While it caused some uproar in the Conservative benches, the newly inaugurated Prime Minister, Tony Benn" [/quote]

Tony Benn in 97? Seems highly unlikely to me. I thought that was a typo.

Timelordtoe knows what she's doing. Have a little faith! Also, if you see typos, you ought to say something, dude. :p

I am sure its going to be an interesting read on this one, just like all the entries, but Benn? Ok. Well we will see.

As for the typo, I just mentally read it as Blair as anyone else in '97 seems so odd. Plus two Tony's so just scanned as Tony in 97 = Blair.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Tony Benn in 97? Seems highly unlikely to me. I thought that was a typo.
I accept that it's somewhat unlikely, but I think it's more plausible than a lot of people will give it credit for. I don't want to get into the details of how everything pans out just yet, but after consistently losing elections to Thatcher with centre-leaning Labour parties, the left is empowered more. Benn had been floated as a potential candidate for quite a while (had he not lost his seat following boundary changes in the 1983 election, it's highly likely that he, not Neil Kinnock would have been the left-leaning candiate). Thatcher's policies have polarised the public even more by 1994, so Benn is able to eke out a victory in the leadership election. His government is more of a soft-left one, albeit one headed by the SCG Benn founded. Many of his more radical policies (e.g. abolishing the monarchy, unilaterally exiting the EU) will be tempered by the rest of Labour. New Labour, as we know it at least, doesn't really happen.

It'll make more sense when we get there (this timeline, at least to begin with, will move faster). I've thought everything out, so hopefully it will make sense. That's the one problem I've had with this so far. I want to include those little snippets in WAWGTT, but they do kind of give the game away here. As @The Chimera Virus said, please do inform me if you think I've made a typo or error, especially as most of the time, it will be a genuine mistake.

Last edited:
1990 in the UK

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
1990 in the UK, or "This Iron Lady Doesn't Rust"

"The 1990s really were an interesting time for the UK, politically. Perhaps the great unifying factor between the two great parties of the time was that both had leaders that whose personal politics were at offs with much of the party. It's really no surprise that the two most controversial Prime Ministers in recent history were the two we had in the 1990s. Thatcher's reputation has been saved somewhat by her caving to the rest of the party in her later years, however. That's something her successor never quite mastered."​
- MP for Bury South, Cherie Booth (Lab), speaking in the 2011 documentary "The Iron Lady", which documented the life of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

By late 1990, Margaret Thatcher was not in a good place. Though her leadership challenge the previous year had been shrugged off easily, the issues that caused it were far from being resolved. Chief among them was the “poll tax”, though the rift between the Eurosceptic Thatcher and her largely pro-Europe party was widening.

The issue of the moment, with regards to Europe at least, was the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM). Thatcher feared that it would be a step towards Britain joining a single currency with the rest of Europe. Though the Euro was yet to come into being, there were already talks of a single currency to replace the European Currency Unit. However, joining the ERM would not necessarily bind the UK to joining a single currency, and as a result, many in her cabinet were in favour of it.

Though John Major and Douglas Hurd managed to win her over by October, the economy had hit a recession by that point, and whether the government would be able to win another election was unclear.

The breaking point came on October 31st. Thatcher spoke out in the House of Commons against greater integration with the rest of Europe, decrying it as federalism in disguise. The following day, the Deputy Prime Minister, Sir Geoffrey Howe, resigned with a strongly worded letter. His actual speech would not come until November 13th, as he had lost his voice at the time of his resignation.

One week later, former cabinet minister Michael Heseltine issued a challenge to her leadership. Heseltine was staunchly pro-Europe, a fact which he emphasised when canvassing to his fellow MPs. Thatcher was in Paris at the time, attending the Fontainebleau summit. Though she expected an easy victory, when she returned to the UK, she made sure to consult with many of the backbenchers to secure their support.

The 1990 Conservative Leadership Contest took place on November 27th, 1990. As it was the first round, Thatcher needed a majority of 15% over Heseltine, who was the only other candidate nominated. Though most expected her to get a majority of the vote, the question as to whether she would have a large enough of a lead was of much discussion.

The results came in. 206 votes for Thatcher, 149 for Hesletine. 17 abstentions. She was safe, but barely. A majority of 56 votes was needed, and she had 57. [1]

1WhXe0V.png

Commenting on her victory, Thatcher commented: “They call me the Iron Lady, but perhaps I think they’re wrong. Clearly, this Iron Lady doesn’t rust.” The government immediately started playing the victory as far more decisive than it actually was.

Many modern political commentators have posited that the Heseltine challenge was actually of help to Thatcher’s government. The divisions in the party were clear, and as Thatcher’s personal approval ratings declined, it was clear that the government needed to be less beholden to Thatcher’s personal policies. This was clear to nobody more than Thatcher, to whom it was made clear that “if the lady was still not for turning, the lady would not be Prime Minister following the next election”.

Thatcher was safe for now, but there was to be no rest. An election had to be called before the summer of 1992, and winning it looked to be an insurmountable task.

Next Time: The Yugoslav Wars Begin – “Oh, Breaking Up Is So Very Easy To Do”

[1] The abstensions aren't mentioned in the wikibox, which is why the percentages don't add up to 100%.

The Yugoslav Wars Begin

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
The Yugoslav Wars Begin, or "Oh, Breaking Up is So Very Easy To Do"

“There’s a tendency in western media to downplay the level of opposition that Milosevic had within Serbia. There were protests and desertions all throughout. In the end, that was what brought him down. Not some NATO intervention, but the people of Serbia themselves.”​
- Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Đinđić in an interview conducted during an EU summit in 2015. [1]

Tensions had been building in Yugoslavia for some time. Since the death of Josip Broz Tito in 1980, nationalist groups had begun to gain power in the constituent republics of Yugoslavia. By 1990, events had reached a breaking point, as the collapse of communism led to ultimately fruitless talks of reforming Yugoslavia into a confederation.

Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic had, through the “anti-bureaucratic revolution”, managed to place three of his supporters in the Presidency. SR Montenegro, SAR Vojvodina, SAR Kosovo, and SR Serbia (his own seat) were now effectively in his control, giving him four votes in an eight person Presidency. To counteract this, the Presidents of Slovenia, Bosnia, Croatia, and Macedonia formed another bloc, effectively deadlocking the Presidency.

Though Serbia’s prime concern was with the independence movements within Slovenia and Croatia, there was a serious movement within Kosovo to either become independent or at least become a fully autonomous seventh republic within Yugoslavia. 1989 seen their autonomy reduced, and Albanian Kosovars forced out of positions of power.

December of 1990 would bring an independence referendum in Slovenia, passing with almost 90% of the electorate voting for independence. Croatia would hold a referendum on the 19th of May the following year, following the success of the centre-right Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) in the previous year. It likewise passed, with about 80% of the electorate voting in favour of independence.

Slovenia and Croatia would declare independence on the same day, June 25th, 1991. The following day, units of the Yugoslav People’s Army (JNA) mobilised, moving towards the Slovene-Italian border. They were met with a great many barricades constructed by Slovene citizens. Slovenia had already made plans to take control of their own borders and major airports, helped by the fact that military at those positions were mainly Slovene already. For most stationed there, independence brought little more than a change in uniform.

By the time the JNA units reached the Slovenian border, defensive lines had already been established. Neither side intended to take the first shot, but on June 27th, a JNA officer fired the first shot near the Slovene-Italian border, kicking off the “Ten-Day War”. The European Communities had decided not to grant either nation diplomatic recognition, instead opting to push for further negotiation between Yugoslavia and the nascent republics. [2]

However, events outside of Yugoslavia would prove to complicate matters. Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Margaret Thatcher, was highly sympathetic to the Slovene and Croatian cause, and was frustrated by the EC’s refusal to recognise them. She had pushed the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Douglas Hurd, to not join the agreement and to have the Foreign Office issue a formal recognition of Slovene and Croat sovereignty, but he refused. [3]

This was only one of many disputes between Thatcher and Hurd, but it would be the last major one, as Hurd was dismissed from his role as Foreign Secretary soon thereafter. His place would be taken by Malcolm Rifkind, who would be replaced as Secretary of State for Transport by junior minister Michael Portillo. Though Hurd’s dismissal would prove somewhat unpopular within the party, it was part of a larger plan to improve public opinion in advance of the next year’s election.

The success of Operation Desert Storm earlier in the year had seen Thatcher and the Conservative Party’s approval ratings improve, and there was some hope within the party that the government being instrumental in securing the independence of the breakaway republics would repeat this. [4]

On August 17th, 1991, the Foreign Office of the United Kingdom issued a formal recognition of the republics of Slovenia and Croatia. Though most countries would remain silent on the recognition, if expressing tacit disapproval of the move, the US President George Bush voiced an objection to the UK’s recognition, arguing that the government had put the “special relationship” in danger by doing so. One week after the British recognition, Germany would follow suit.

The UK’s recognition of Slovene and Croat independence hampered the ongoing talks between Yugoslavia and the republics, not least because the main diplomat, Lord Carrington, was a Brit. At this time, secret talks took place between the governments of Slovenia, Croatia, and the United Kingdom, with the UK offering to train troops and supply arms. However, as hostilities began to intensify, the UN issued a weapons embargo. Unfortunately for Croatia, the JNA-back Serbian forces had access to an entire nation’s cache, while Croatian forces had little available to them. Arms smuggling across the Croatian-Hungarian border was widespread throughout this time, with many British arms passing into Croatian hands. The UK sent arms to Hungary under the guise of helping to build up their military after the Soviet withdrawal earlier in the year, but the vast majority of these were to be sent to Croatia and Slovenia.

Throughout June and July, low level skirmishes took place throughout Croatia, primarily in areas surrounding the Serbian Autonomous Oblast (SAO) of Krajina, a breakaway-Serb state within Croatia. However, as talks broke down, the violence intensified, and by September, the conflict had escalated significantly. The JNA suffered from large scale defections from Albanians, Macedonains, and even many Serbs in this time, and soon found their forces stretched thin. Amidst rising tensions in Bosnia, there were serious concerns that they may find themselves overextended.

Macedonia was left in a rather unique situation among the republics, as they managed to separate peacefully. An independence referendum was held on the 8th of September, passing by a large margin. The Republic of Macedonia declared independence on the 25th of the same month, meeting no resistance from Belgrade, which was in the middle of restructuring Yugoslavia itself. Though US forces (under a UN banner) would be sent to protect the border, the Yugoslav federal government made it clear that they would recognise Macedonia as independent with the foundation of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia the following year.

Of all of the constituent republics, Bosnia was easily the most diverse. And given the current divisions within former Yugoslav republics, tension within Bosnia was near a breaking point of its own. The government at the time was pro-independence, but the sizeable Serb minority had made clear that should Bosnia secede from Yugoslavia, they would secede from Bosnia, much as had happened in Croatia.

The government held a referendum on independence on March 1st, 1992. The majority of the electorate voted to secede from Yugoslavia, though by a much smaller margin than either Slovenia or Croatia. Two days later, Bosnia and Herzegovina declared their independence from Yugoslavia. Almost immediately, fighting broke out among the various ethnic groups. An attempt by the US ambassador to Yugoslavia to prevent a major conflict from breaking out was ultimately unsuccessful, as the Bosniak representative refused to sign. By the end of March, war had broken out.

By this time in Croatia, many ceasefires had been declared by the UN, but few held for more than a day, as both sides broke them. The January 2nd ceasefire had lasted the longest, but it too had fallen apart, despite the UN’s best efforts. Negotiations continued between the Croat and Serb forces, but there was no settlement that suited both sides. The Croatian government was adamant that they keep the borders from Yugoslavia, based on Croatia’s right to territorial integrity, while the SAOs were pushing for borders that would see the majority of Croatia under their control, in line with the hypothetical borders of a “Greater Serbia”.

While many of the areas of battle had now reached stalemates, Croatia had prevented any major advances into Croat territory. With no major ceasefire being signed and kept, the UN proved reluctant to send a peacekeeping force to Croatia. At the request of the Croatian government, the UK sent a small expeditionary force to act as a peacekeeping force to prevent further expulsions of non-Serb populations within the SAO-held areas. The job would prove somewhat easier than expected, as the JNA withdrew from Croatia early in 1992, anticipating the violence in Bosnia. [5]

The presence of troops in Croatia would prove to be an important factor in the 1992 UK General Election that April, as Labour Leader Neil Kinnock promised to withdraw the troops until a UN sponsored ceasefire could be reached.

While most of the fighting was in Croatia and Bosnia, mid-1992 would see the fighting expand even further. Kosovo, despite their reduced autonomy, largely expressed solidarity with Croatia, Slovenia, and now Bosnia. The autonomous region was over 80% Albanian, and there was a serious movement to declare independence.

In May of 1992, Kosovo held a presidential election, electing Ibrahim Rugova by a landslide. Kosovo had declared independence late in 1991, though made sure that force was not used, hoping to avoid a similar situation to Croatia and Bosnia. The Republic of Kosova initially only received recognition from Albania.

TRAjJ0m.png

Provisional flag of the Republic of Kosova. It was generally accepted that if independence was gained, the flag would be altered so as to avoid confusion with that of Albania.​

Despite not taking up arms, there were calls from some to request a peacekeeping force, as had been the case in Macedonia, and now Croatia, too. Though the JNA proved to be overextended at the time, there was serious fear that reprisals could come.

And this fear was not only held by those in the Republic of Kosova. The autonomous province of Vojvodina was doubtless the most diverse within Serbia itself, and given the high-profile actions of the SAO Krajina and now Republika Srpska, there were serious fears among the various minorities in the province that they would be next. Ultimately, this resulted in many anti-war protests in the province, similar to those taking place in many of Serbia’s larger cities. There was a great fear of reprisal from the police or military, which did eventually come as the JNA sent what few tanks they could to curb the unrest. At some of the protests, the protestors waved blue-yellow-green tricolour flags in support of greater autonomy, or even independence from Yugoslavia. [6]

N4aTxXD.png

"Flag of Vojvodina" flown by protestors. The flag held no official status at the time.​

Hungary had already supported the separatist movements within Yugoslavia, but Yojvodina was unique in that it had a sizeable Hungarian minority, making up the second-largest ethnic group after Serbs. In response to the JNA, and later the VJ (Armed Forces of Yugoslavia)’s intervention in Vojvodina, Hungary mobilized troops on the border, intending to move in to protect the Hungarian minority should there be any signs of reprisals against the Hungarian minority there.

This move was largely condemned by Czechoslovakia and Romania, who feared that Hungary was seeking to annex territories it had lost seventy years prior in the Treaty of Trianon. The Hungarian Prime Minister József Antall dismissed the allegations, but stated that Hungary would not shy away from protecting the minorities in Vojvodina.

For Yugoslavia, the situation by mid-1992 was not ideal. The war in Bosnia was tying down most of its troops, and the high-profile status of their actions there had left them something of a pariah state. Kosovo had declared independence, and it looked like if they did not act quickly, Vojvodina might follow suit. While in favour of continuing the union for now, Montenegro was still at risk of leaving Yugoslavia, with a large portion of Montenegrins being in favour of independence.

The actions of the United Kingdom had been somewhat controversial internationally, but were at least popular domestically, and served to draw the young breakaway republics towards the west. While the presence of British troops in Croatia had been met with outrage by some, especially in Yugoslavia and Russia, the Thatcher government had made the case that the British forces were only there to prevent further ethnic cleansing. [7]

As 1992 continued, it seemed that all the eyes of the world were on Yugoslavia, and there was a serious risk of further outside involvement.

Next Time: "The Race to Avoid Being the Guy Who Loses to Bush", the 1992 US Democratic Primaries. [8]

[1] So there's a lot of OTL to cover in this update, as gods above, there's a lot that happened. There's a good bit of ATL stuff too, though, and this is a prime example.
[2] Other than the opening quote, this is all OTL stuff, though the exact order in which everything happened was a little hard for me to discern at times, so I've likely made a mistake or two.
[3] Thatcher's OTL beliefs, and the reason why this update exists, for the most part.
[4] I'm not sure how plausible this is, as replacing a wet with another dry will hurt her popularity (not enough for another contest in all likelihood. They don't want to give Labour too much ammo at the election). However, if it's likely to boost the popularity of the government in the immediate future, I think it's more plausible.
[5] If the ceasefire still isn't kept, there's really no reason why the UN would go in given its policy at the time. Expect the Conservatives to spin this as "we stepped in to protect people where the UN refused to" come the election.
[6] Even though it's majority-Serb, Vojvodina is distinct from the rest of Serbia, so an autonomous or independent state there isn't out of the question. Also, yes, that's the proposed flag at the time. I think I've realised that I just don't like tricolours.
[7] As I've been focussing mainly on the political side rather than military, I haven't really directly mentioned war crimes too much, in part because I just don't feel comfortable writing about them. I'm trying to focus on the political side, so things like this will mainly only come up when it would be more disrespectful to not mention them (i.e. if there are any trials or a tribunal).
[8] I've got the next few updates planned out, and they do jump around a bit. The next four are all UK or US related, as '92 has elections for both of them. We also need to cover 1991 for the UK (the US is kind of OTL-heavy until '92).

So Yugoslavia is the OTL mess, with a dash of UK Adventuring, and the risk of a larger war. Slightly surprised Greece was not mentioned, or did/do they get involved later?

If you need someone to lose to Bush- Gary Hart?

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
So Yugoslavia is the OTL mess, with a dash of UK Adventuring, and the risk of a larger war. Slightly surprised Greece was not mentioned, or did/do they get involved later?

If you need someone to lose to Bush- Gary Hart?
Yugoslavia is a bit more of a mess, but yeah, most of it is OTL at this point, barring the UK Adventuring. It's been left off at around April-June 1992, as going any further would require mentioning the outcome of the UK election that year, and that's getting its own update. Greece wasn't too involved yet, but there are some rumblings at intervening on the side of Yugoslavia and Republicka Srpska if the UK or Hungary intervene any further. The "larger war" would likely be a pretty limited conflict, as Yugoslavia doesn't really have any major allies, with Russia caught up in its own affairs (which will be adressed soon enough).

The West has basically accepted that Yugoslavia's dead, and the media coverage really doesn't paint them or the Serb breakaway republics in anything close to a positive light. Right now, Hungary is probably the closest to joining in, as some minor border skirmishes may occur. But still, despite their wariness towards Hungary, Slovakia and Romania probably won't join in, especially as they're both pro-EU/EC right now. Yugoslavia is straining relations between the UK and US somewhat, but governmental changes in the UK and/or the US could alter that. Still, with the Soviet Union dead, there are some who are questioning the usefulness of NATO.

The next update's title is a reference to an SNL sketch from OTL, with regards to Bush's high approval ratings after the Gulf War. The election was seen as somewhat unwinnable at the time by the Democrats (which is why the field of candidates didn't have any major party players of the time), so SNL made a sketch of the same name, set at a Democratic debate where all of the candidates are saying why they are unfit for the presidency, so they don't lose to Bush.

The Democratic ticket is still pretty different to OTL, though some similarities do happen. Regardless of who wins the election, Bush, Perot, or the Democratic candidate, the 1990s are going to be a lot different in the US. I'm almost done with the next update here, but I do plan on doing some tweaking and I still need to make some pictures for the post.

I'm going to be posting here more regularly, as I'd like to bring this up to where WAWGTT is, namely around 1998. Still, expect regular-ish updates there. As time goes on with that, it's becoming near impossible to avoid spoiling stuff that happens here. I've already let a couple things slip, but as the 1990s of TTL are far from what they were in OTL, it's really hard not to at times. Also, I'm really enjoying writing for this, so there's that.

The 1992 US Democratic Primaties

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
The 1992 US Democratic Primaries, or "The Race to Avoid Being the Guy Who Loses to Bush"

“I was just a kid in ‘92, but even then, it was clear that the US was going to change if the Democrats won the election. That election really set the stage for everything that’s happened since then, including my own senate campaign in this great state. It was really a once in a lifetime ticket, in terms of shaking up the establishment.”​
- Senator Lonnie DeSoto (D-WA) in interview surrounding her victory in the 2012 U.S. Senate Election in Washington.

The success of the Gulf War had seen President Bush’s popularity skyrocket to near unprecedented levels, and many in the Democratic party believed the election to be “over before it had begun”, with a second term for the incumbent almost guaranteed. As a result, the more high-profile members of the party declined to run, leaving the primary to be contested between those who were considered “outsiders” in the party.

The mood within the party was perhaps best captured by the SNL skit “Campaign ‘92: The Race to Avoid Being the Guy Who Loses to Bush”, wherein the prospective “major” candidates (Gore, Hart, Jackson, etc.) debated as to why each of them should not be the candidate. [1]

By the beginning of 1992, five main candidates were in the race. Bill Clinton and Jerry Brown, Governors of Arkansas and former Governor of California, respectively; and Paul Tsongas, Bob Kerrey, and Tom Harkin, Senators for Massachusetts, Nebraska, and Iowa respectively. Of the five, Kerrey was considered to be the front runner initially, but his lacklustre campaign left some worried.

YKZziBF.jpg

The five main contenders for the Democratic nomination. From left to right: Tom Harkin, Jerry Brown, Bob Kerrey, Paul Tsongas, and Bill Clinton.​

Most early campaigning was focussed on the New Hampshire primary, as the Iowa caucus was widely expected to go to Harkin, which it did. The primary would prove to be highly eventful, as allegations of an extramarital affair were levied against the Clinton campaign, tanking his rating in various polls. The official statement from the Clinton campaign was that the allegations were false, but refused interviews on the matter, referring to it as a “null subject”. Further allegations of draft dodging during the Vietnam War only served to further hurt his campaign. [2]

The New Hampshire primary resulted in a sizeable Tsongas victory, with Clinton in a distant fifth. Harkin, Kerrey, and Brown all gained around 12% of the vote, while Clinton had only 4%. While a disappointing show for both Harkin and Kerrey, Brown’s share of the vote came as a surprise to many.

Brown’s campaign was rather unique in that it was grassroots, with Brown himself refusing any donations over $100. As the race went on, Brown would show himself to almost paradoxically be the most left and right-wing man in the race. Fiscally conservative, though socially progressive, Brown did enjoy a great deal of popular support, even if many in the party still saw him as “Moonbeam Brown”. [3]

The momentum from New Hampshire spurred the Brown campaign on, leading to a victory in the Maine caucus five days later, if by a small margin. At this moment, it was clear that Brown was a major contender, perhaps more so than Kerrey, Harkin, or Clinton. With Clinton all but out of the race, Brown was clearly the most charismatic candidate in the field, and many commentators expected him to take the lead quickly.

G4QgY9k.png

Jerry Brown, despite coming fourth in New Hampshire, was eager to push on. Many observers noted that he brought a newfound energy that seemed to resonate with voters, especially younger ones.​

As Super Tuesday approached, it looked as though the race would be between Tsongas and Brown, perhaps the most similar out of all of the candidates. Both were “fiscally conservative and socially liberal”, but Brown was the more reformist of the two. The major scandal of the time was the “House Banking Scandal”, which together with the recent House pay raises, gave Brown plenty of ammunition to decry the amount of influence that lobby groups had in the government. [4]

The races up to Super Tuesday saw victories for both Tsongas and Brown, with Clinton and Kerrey dropping out on March 4th. Kerrey threw his weight behind Tsongas, though Clinton remained silent. As Bush’s approval ratings dropped, it became clear that there was a good chance that a victory could be gained.

While Tsongas still had the edge, Brown was about to gain one of his own. Ross Perot was running and independent campaign, and expressed admiration of Brown, citing their similar policies. At the time, national polling showed that in a three way race between Bush, Perot and either Tsongas or Brown, Perot was the favourite. Perot attracted many of the same people that Brown did, but from both sides of the political spectrum. [5]

Super Tuesday was here, and the results were clear. Of the 11 primaries and caucuses, Tsongas won 7, with only Hawaii, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Missouri going to Brown. Brown did, however, gain a large portion of the votes in each of these states, securing a clear second place in all that he did not win. With it now clear that he stood no chance, Harkin dropped out of the race.

Despite the somewhat disappointing results, Brown was perhaps saved by the “proportional 15% rule”, which saw him gain delegates in all of the states. Were voting to continue like this, it would likely create a brokered convention, something the Brown campaign wished to avoid.

Most of March continued to give Tsongas victories, with Brown second by a decent margin. However, the race was far from over, and Brown was confident that the grassroots campaigning, while leaving him unable to secure major advertising, gave him a huge base of public support. Most of Brown’s campaign was done through alternative media, making use of cable television and radio shows to get his message across. And it was about to pay off.

Many had suspected that the race would continue to give Tsongas victories, leaving Brown in second. If the convention was brokered, it would almost certainly lead to Tsongas getting the nomination. So it was a surprise to many when late March brought a string of clear victories for Brown. The Connecticut, Vermont, and Alaska primaries/caucuses all went to Brown by large margins. [6]

It was becoming clear that Brown’s “outsider” image was bringing in many people to the party, rather than alienating them. Furthermore, Brown was clearly the more charismatic of the two. Many debates took place, and while Brown did occasionally suffer from “foot-in-mouth syndrome”, he avoided any major gaffes, while Tsongas struggled to make any major points against Brown.

IxXOYUX.png

Jerry Brown at a campaign rally. "Take Back America" would be just one of many slogans of his campaign.​

In fact, the similarities between the two campaigns led to the SNL sketch “Brown and Beige”, wherein Tsongas changes his name to “Paul Beige”, as “[his] policies are like Brown’s, but lighter!” Tsongas’ economic and social plan was often criticized for being “Brown lite”, and he began to lose supporters to Brown, many of whom felt that Tsongas’ plan did not go far enough. [7]

The overlap between the two’s economic policies were often brought up in debates. Brown shared the view that Tsongas did not go far enough, while Tsongas criticised Brown for being too radical. Brown’s failed 1980 run and the single “California Über Alles”, which was highly critical of Brown, were both brought up. However, as Brown emerged as a major candidate, the Dead Kennedys’ former frontman Jello Biafra was interviewed, and said that he had changed his mind on Brown, as he saw other politicians as being far worse.

April 7th would bring a new string of victories for Brown, with all four states voting for Brown. Tsongas was losing momentum, and discussions began between the two campaigns. Many expected that the deal would result in a “coalition ticket”, where whoever won the convention would make the other the vice presidential candidate, but many doubted this.

Brown had expressed an interest in appointing either an African-American or a woman as his running mate, should he win the nomination. Many names had been floated, including Governor of Virginia Douglas Wilder, and Colorado Representative Pat Schroeder. Brown had considered Jesse Jackson, but was advised against making any indication that Jackson could be his running mate, given Jackson’s anti-semitic remarks and association with known anti-semites. [8]

With the tide turned, Brown continued to win primaries, and national polls for the general election in November showed Brown performing well. There was, however, one main issue. Much as Brown and Tsongas had similar ideologies, so too did Ross Perot. Polling showed that Perot was likely to act as a spoiler for Democratic voters if Brown were to get the nomination, and to a lesser extent if it went to Tsongas. Perot had, however, suggested that he may drop out of the race if Brown were to win the nomination, though many suspected that he had an ulterior motive.

UUYh6Jx.jpg

While popular, Perot's independent campaign risked splitting the vote, and lacked the backing of eitherof the major parties.​

There was a brief reprieve for Brown, as Tsongas announced that he was dropping out on May 13th. Citing a declining percentage of the votes, and a desire to keep unity within the party, he endorsed Brown for the nomination. Brown had, in effect, won the nomination. There were expectations, not least from the Tsongas campaign, that Brown would give Tsongas a position in the Cabinet, though Brown made it clear that he would not be Vice-President. [9]

With Brown’s nomination all but assured, the talks with Perot entered the next stage. Brown was reluctant to give Perot the Vice-President position on the ticket, in part because it would be impossible to convince the Democratic Party to allow an independent on the ticket. Rather, Brown was eyeing up “establishment” Democrats who held similar positions to him, namely, many of the Atari Democrats.

Perot suggested that he be made Secretary of the Treasury. While confirming him would be more difficult, he and Brown agreed that they would count on the vote of the “silent third party” of Atari Democrats, conservative Democrats, and moderate Republicans. In fact, while popular with the general population, many of the reforms they proposed would be difficult to get through Congress. The Republicans would balk at the social reforms, while most Democrats would be reluctant to greenlight most of the economic reforms. [10]

The main question for Brown now was who would be his running mate. Brown was clearly from the fringes of the party, and many of the more moderate Democrats were not happy that he had seemed to gain the nomination. To quell these concerns somewhat, it was clear that the VP slot needed to be filled by someone who, while ideologically similar to Brown, was more accepted by the party as a whole.

“Balancing the ticket” was crucial. Brown was from California, so a running mate from the southern, more conservative, states was advisable. Brown was a former Governor, and a popular one at that, but it also left him with little foreign policy experience. Finally, Brown was famously a bachelor. Though in a relationship with Anne Gust for the past two years, he was unmarried and had no children. So someone in a marriage with children was a must.

Many names were floated, including Governors Douglas Wilder and Ann Richards and Sentaor Bob Graham, but in the end, Al Gore was offered the spot. Gore was not only a more "traditional" member of the party ideologically, describing himself as a moderate, but he had many qualities which helped him to stand out. Gore was initially hesitant, but when Brown made it clear that his administration would tackle global warming as a major issue, something Gore had clashed with the Bush administration over, he signed on. Being in the administration would also help Gore to bring the US into the budding "information age", and could provide the nation an opportunity to gain more of a leading role in the rapidly expanding Internet. [11]

IWXFvRY.jpg

Al Gore was an unexpected pick for Brown, but a popular one nonetheless.​

Jerry Brown announced that Al Gore would be his running mate on July 12th, 1992, one day ahead of the DNC. The DNC would, by all accounts, be a great success, and the convention bounce would be one of the largest in history. On July 16th, as the convention was wrapping up, Ross Perot dropped out from the presidential race, endorsing the Brown-Gore ticket. Immediately, all the polls showed a landslide victory for Brown-Gore. [12]

With a hugely successful grassroots campaign, Brown had shaken up the political landscape. No longer did someone need the support of big businesses to win the nomination, they only needed the support of the people. Many commentators drew comparisons between Brown’s campaign and the 1964 campaign of Barry Goldwater, the only other grassroots campaign to win the party nomination. There were some fears that Bush would use many of the tactics that Johnson had in that election, but it was, at least, something they could prepare for.

6kqTSXy.png

Results of the 1992 Democratic Primary. Electoral map shows only which candidate recieved a plurality of votes, and does not indicate states where one or more candidates passed the 15% threshold for proportional delgates.​

Reactions to the Brown-Gore ticket varied wildly, though the general public seemed to regard it as “a stepping stone to a new America”, a phrase that would become popular during the rest of the election cycle. Amidst high unemployment, Brown and Gore sought to create a campaign that revitalised America, using the slogan “For the People, Progress and Prosperity”. [13]

As the election season began, it looked that as long as Brown and Gore avoided major gaffes, the election was theirs. Thanks to Perot’s support, they were polling well in many Republican dominated states, such as Wyoming and Alaska. [14]

America prepared itself for perhaps the most important election in recent history.

Next Time: "Last One Out, Get the Lights", 1991 and 1992 in the UK, Part One. [15]

[1] Straight out of OTL, and the reason why this update is called what it is.
[2] The stories don't break in such close proximity, so there's less of a push to address it by the Clinton campaign, no 60 Minutes interview about Flowers. When the draft dodging allegations come a few weeks later, shortly before the NH primary, that's Clinton mostly done for.
[3] Other than Clinton basically crashing out, pretty much OTL, with Clinton's voters going elsewhere.
[4] This will be important.
[5] A little more OTL-ish stuff. At this point, it's pretty clear that the new government is going to be fiscally conservative, but as to how socially liberal is yet to be seen.
[6] The grassroots campaign is a slow burn, and with no Clinton, and Kerrey basically out, some of Tsongas' supporters are jumping ship, while Brown brings more people into the party.
[7] The overlap isn't huge, but there's enough that the more neoliberal members of the party (read: a lot of the party's officials) see them as basically the same.
[8] Brown avoids the Jesse Jackson gaffe, though these remarks will be interpreted as a promise by some of the electorate.
[9] We're not doing reverso-"A Giant Sucking Sound". No way can Perot get that spot with the DNC as it is.
[10] Expect this to come up in the national debates.
[11] Yeah, this is a pretty big "in spite of a nail". But really, the main thing Brown needs is someone to balance his "outsider" status. Though a little more left-leaning than perhaps the party average at the time, Gore was a "major" player. So the reasons he was offered the spot are different, but the reasons he accepted are largely the same. In Brown, he's got an ally on the environment and technology.
[12] Similar to Clinton, though the "new leadership" has some different connotations. The New Democrats are still there, but Brown doesn't identify as one of them.
[13] If they win, it's going to be a very different America.
[14] Perot drew voters away from Bush and Clinton, so with him out, Bush will probably do better, but Brown will likely draw some of the Republicans unhappy with Bush away. One particularly interesting side effect from this, by the way. You'll see in a while.
[15] Parts One and Two of this update will be separated by the US election. Next update includes the UK general election for 1992. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Was Florida Senator Bob Graham considered? He's from an important state electorally and he was Clinton's second choice, IIRC (and he was on Gore's list, too)...