The Anti-Everything Timeline

Prologue Part One: The Sun, The Desert, And The Other Discomforts

3012 of Avrakham

“For the love of suffering.” The man climbed over the remains of a fallen wall, now little more than a mess of bricks baking in the hot Mediterranean sun, barely able to make a step without falling; the bandage on his leg was inconspicuously blackened with dust and grime, and only small spots of bleeding red came through the improvised knot, original color of the cloth nearly impossible to tell. He grimaced, trying to keep his balance and hoping that there was no one, nothing nearby.

“For the renouncing of the pristine.” He was bald, black-skinned, with powerful arms, now thinned through hunger, looking like a mere shadow of a man more so than like a living being - a ghost in the netherworld between the land of the living and that of the dead. There was a scar running through his face, like a deep ravine cutting through the empty eye socket; the cut still seemed fresh, as if it only now began to heal.

“For the acceptance of fate.” His lips moved, uttering words in a language he himself barely understood. Then, a thought reared its head in the back of his mind, not even most of the acolytes did. They just spoke the words, the words that meant something, or nothing at all. His hand instinctively reached for the belt, where a darter still hung, moving along with its bearer, useless without aim. The man stumbled; the weapon almost mechanically slid into his hand as he fell upon the ground, the other hand trying to soften up the fall.

“Until the end of days.” He rolled, wincing at pain in the hurt leg as he did so, scanning the horizon for anything that looked like a target. The land was dead; the sky, a blazing blue high above. Scorched remains of some trees by the ruined wall. A dead vulture on the ground, half ripped to shreds by darters, some bloodied disk-shaped things still visible from the carcass. Another victim of accidental barrage of projectiles against anything that moves - or, that once moved, breathed in new life with every sunrise and exhaled the dusk as it set in.

“Pray not to deliverance, but to agony.” He squeezed his lips tight, gritting his teeth so that not a sound may escape. A vain thought, he philosophically pondered; his movement would have likely attracted anything that might have still survived here. But death ruled all, the blessed virgin bride of destruction spreading its wings of purest, most immaculate black all over, engulfing the sun.

“Pray not to peace, but to victory.” Black circles emerged in his vision, making him turn and twist around in a pitiful attempt at silence, hoping that it was a sign of the coming nightfall but knowing deep in his mind that it was merely the heat and the dehydration playing tricks on him. He tried to lift himself up, barely managing to do so, stumbling over the boulders, the ruins, sinking his feet into the sand.

“Against the defilers of the true way.” There was a wall, a tad taller than the others, with much damage to its ancient stones. What people walked these sands, whose hands built these monuments? How could he know if he was the next in line to die upon them?

“And into the blackest eternity.” He fell forward, his fingers touching the hot stone full of inscriptions whose nature no living man understood. The man rolled over, leaning back against the wall. How did he end up here? What brought him and the others to this land? Whose land was it? Sand slipped through his clinched fist; the darter was in his other hand, the only assurance of reality. The last assurance of reality.

“That shall consume all who deny its existence.” The man curled into a fetal ball, reaching his hands around his knees; the darter fell out of his hand and onto the ground. Where? How? Why? The questions mattered little, yet he fought back the encroaching unconsciousness, thinking just to stay awake, to stay alive, to live through the day and the night that came after to clean out the garbage of slaughter for the end of times to come. He closed his eyes, seeing nothing but the welcoming blackness, the sweet oblivion... And then, he remembered.

“Amen.”

Last edited:
Comments please! :cool:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue Part Two: Trial Of Avrakham

3003 of Avrakham

“And therefore, we, freedmen of the jury, we find the defendant guilty.”

The room was full of smells, those of incense and myrrh mixing freely with the unpleasant odors of the city surrounding the stone structure of megalithic proportions. There were several dozen men seated in the room, all hooded and robed in black, faces covered; not a single one could be seen as anything but the unmoving monument of fate, all humanity taken from them by the sheer virtue of appearance.

“You do know that the Iuda will fume at the mouth the second they hear of it, right?” One figure turned to another, speaking with a somewhat youthful voice that was inconsistent with hands which showed more than a few age spots.

“All we need is a provocation, Samir,” the other figure said, pulling back the hood to reveal a dark face with lines of the age written all over it, covered by wispy grey hair. “You know as well as I do the hotheads were looking to start something for years. We’re merely giving them a chance to do as they please, and to make us look good in the process.”

Samir sighed. “I wish it was so easy, Majesty.”

“Just don’t tell me that you, of all people, have that much love for the Iuda,” the other man said. “The tariffs are hurting just about everyone - and they’re sitting on more oil deposits than they know what to do with.”

“We’re not ready,” said Samir.

“We’re as ready as we’ll ever be,” the other man replied. “You’ve took part in this farce of a trial yourself - the next step is to tell their ambassador what we think of him, and send him home.”

“In several pieces, I presume?” another man raised his voice, laughing as if he made a humorous comment.

“Maybe,” he replied. “The trick is to get them to fire first. That’ll give Latinia an excuse to stay away.”

Samir’s eyes turned to the center of the room, where an image hung from the ceiling. It depicted a man of some age, with gray beard and a head full of snow-white hair. The man held a knife over the altar, where a youth was tied down, struggling for his life. Two figures, their outlines barely visible in the halos of fire surrounding them, held the youth down, their black wings raised up.

“Majesty,” Samir spoke quietly. “Do you think they’ll go for it?”

“Why wouldn’t they? We’ve spent much of the last thirty years looking at each other across the border.” The man reclined back, swiping an unruly strand of long hair from his face. “They want the same thing as we do, and are prepared to fight for it. May as well do to them what they’d do to us, given half a chance.”

Samir did not say anything, just looking at the room, at the gathered people, finally, at the painting. There was a gloating expression on old man’s face as he was about to plunge a knife into his only son, the innocent Isahk - perhaps the only martyr left in this world without a stain of bloody ancestry linking him to the morbid glory of Kayin. There was not much left for him to do; Samir felt a certain kinship to the boy as he was about to be sacrificed to the deity of Addam’s favored son. There was nothing but helplessness - and there was precious little roots left to hold him on the ground before he slipped further down below.

It was not always like this... but this was how it was going to end.

Iuda? Judah???

The plot thickens.... :)

Well, they're one of the few that are going to be recognizable (on the surface only) in a TL where the POD is about 1000 BC (although not hitting its full stride until about Vth century BC, after which... things are not the same). And, well, there will be quite a bit of stuff going on in between... Suffice to say there will be major, major surprises down the line, and things will not be what they seem.

The next update may not be up until later tonight - hopefully I can finish with the prologue, or perhaps even get the first chapter up. The idea here is to build a thoroughly different world that by approximately our present time would be nearly unrecognizable, while superficial resemblances would only underline vast divides. In other words, this here is an exercise in alternate world building, the civilization that might have been, but was not.

Enjoy, and your comments are greatly welcome and appreciated!

Damn, at 1st I thought the POD was Abraham actually sacrificing Isaac, but the POD is too late for that.

Actually that IS the POD - I thought it was supposed to have happened some time around 1000 BC, give or take a few.

Jasen777

Donor
Actually that IS the POD - I thought it was supposed to have happened some time around 1000 BC, give or take a few.

From what I recall, most traditional Jewish/Christian dating puts Abraham somewhere between 2100-1600 B.C.

From what I recall, most traditional Jewish/Christian dating puts Abraham somewhere between 2100-1600 B.C.

Hmm... I'll need to re-check my sources when I get home. If it is indeed the case, the dates in my TL will have to be revised. For some reason I thought it was presumed to have been between 1100 BC and 1000 BC

Hmm... I'll need to re-check my sources when I get home. If it is indeed the case, the dates in my TL will have to be revised. For some reason I thought it was presumed to have been between 1100 BC and 1000 BC

Oh no, according to the Old Testament the Hebrews were fighting the Philistines around 1000 BC. Or at least that's the modern dating of what the OT describes, faulty as the data may be, and I don't think it can be wrong by that much.

Oh no, according to the Old Testament the Hebrews were fighting the Philistines around 1000 BC. Or at least that's the modern dating of what the OT describes, faulty as the data may be, and I don't think it can be wrong by that much.

I did some more research in between things at work, and it appears like an earlier date might be correct... so I may have to take that into consideration.

Yes, traditional J-C theology would put Abraham at 2000-ish BC, Moses at 1400-1200 BC, and David at 1000-ish BC. 1100 BC for Abraham would be much too late.

In any case, this looks interesting. Not sure about the whole Kayin/Cain thing.. as from what I've read, Abe was descended from the line of Seth.

Yes, traditional J-C theology would put Abraham at 2000-ish BC, Moses at 1400-1200 BC, and David at 1000-ish BC. 1100 BC for Abraham would be much too late.

In any case, this looks interesting. Not sure about the whole Kayin/Cain thing.. as from what I've read, Abe was descended from the line of Seth.

Well, one thing to consider is that with differences in personalities shaping the religious record, a few things will get twisted down the line in retelling...

It may not be until Saturday or Sunday that I get to update this due to more restrictions on net access at work, but rest assured, the update is coming! Thank you guys for reading and commenting! :)

Now, the Jewish religion may change irreparably but will that change international politics of the time that much? I mean, the Assyrians were able to destroy most of the Hebrews and with a little ATL all of it would've been gone. I mean its affect on the world may have been strong but I'm not sure about the Hebrews survival with this POD.

Oh and BTW, Issac was Abraham's only son, without Issac there would be no Jacob (Issac's Son), and without Jacob no 12 tribes of Israel. Without the 12 tribes, no Joesph and no enslavement in Egypt. Thats virtually the Torah and gone like that...

The Man Of Holy Purpose

It can be argued that the tradition of Old World human sacrifice manifested itself most through Avrakham, the man whose life and conquests, even when stripped of their religious significance, were worth of some admiration. Sacrificing his son to win a battle against the nation whose name has long been anathema to mention, he claimed later that “blood of the innocents and the martyrs is the only fitting sacrifice to the Lord”, and in doing so, created a tradition that with minor interruption survives in some shape or form until the present day.

The victory of Avrakham, however, comes as almost inconsequential when it is compared to his other, more significant legacy, for he was one of the first to claim the Oneness of God, and to deny both the multitude of deities responsible for various aspects of the world, such as the H’rer still worship to this day, and the duality present in some other religions that were arising at the time, such as that of the semi-mythical Pars, where a deity generally associated with good was opposed to a slightly weaker, yet infinitely malicious deity associated with the opposite thereof. In Avrakham’s God, capable of both deeds of mercy and those of extermination, and valuing both roughly equally, the dualistic tradition found its most brutal nemesis. It also seems to be the first identification of Kayin as the Virtuous Warrior, the man who did the Lord’s work by culling those who are proven to have been weaker or inferior by offering their souls to the Lord as a sacrifice. Although some of the older heresies did put Avrakham’s ancestry as being of House of Seth, it is a widely acknowledged belief that Avrakham announced himself to be of Kayin, and was able to justify the sacrifice of his son by using Kayin as an example.

Yet, Avrakham’s life, when one escapes the embellishment of it through many centuries of retelling the stories, is remarkable enough in itself. From the historical evidence, we can gather that he was a leader of a small nomadic tribe in the lands that are now considered part of the Iuda who, through shrewd mind and strong arm managed to carve the beginnings of First Iuda Kingdom out of the territories while subjugating other people to his will. Some details of the historical record are hard to come by, however, it can be said that while his kingdom was not as large as neighboring Kem Of Black Earth, it was quickly able to assert its independence and create one of the first centralized power structures in the region that passed on to Avrakham’s chosen successor Ishmail, who, accordingly to the religious tradition, was his illegitimate son.

Although some put Avrakham’s origins in the city of Ur, there had been some doubt in scholarship as to those claims, as Avrakham himself is known to have refuted them on at least several occasions, as in the following passage attributed to him:

We are of the earth and the sand, not of the walls
The walls we shall build unlike those of heathen Ur
That no virtue can come from

The minority view holds it as an acknowledgment of Avrakham’s arrival from Ur, however, the traditionalist view claims that the people of Ur were Avrakham’s enemies, or, at the very least, competitors. Therefore, references to the “Whore of Ur” in much of the Holy Book are seen to be derived from this state of things.

There is much uncertainty as to when exactly the migration of Avrakham into the lands of Canaan occurred. Traditional sources place the year of Avrakham’s sacrifice of his son as the First Year of Avrakham, and the ascention of Ishmail at Year Thirteen, however, there is much debate as to how much the religious chronology could be trusted. Still, those dates are considered canon for most of the historical record, or, at the very least, as an approximation of the real events.

“The Real History Of Canaan”
Author unknown
Original burned in 2987 of Avrakham, although copies are known to exist​

Now, the Jewish religion may change irreparably but will that change international politics of the time that much? I mean, the Assyrians were able to destroy most of the Hebrews and with a little ATL all of it would've been gone. I mean its affect on the world may have been strong but I'm not sure about the Hebrews survival with this POD.

Oh and BTW, Issac was Abraham's only son, without Issac there would be no Jacob (Issac's Son), and without Jacob no 12 tribes of Israel. Without the 12 tribes, no Joesph and no enslavement in Egypt. Thats virtually the Torah and gone like that...

Well, I will be going into "fictional character" territory rather quickly - as per the latest update, Ishmael is Abraham's successor, and as a whole, Abraham's kingdom is much more militant in nature. As such, history of the Middle East will be wildly different - my idea is to have Abraham come up with religion, which is kind of like the "mandate of heaven" that ends up being picked up by numerous nations who may or may not have been related to the original Israelites.