• Donald Trump (I)

Votes: 186 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
26: The Summit
The Summit

upload_2018-8-30_14-31-37.jpeg

In January of 2003, the heads of state of the DPRK and USA would meet officially for the first time. The 2003 Singapore Summit would one of the most hotly anticipated summits in recent history and the stakes were high. However, if both leaders played their cards right, a war that had stretched for over half a century would finally come to and end.

The dialogue between the American President and North Korean leader was cordial and through their translators were able to get along well. As a result, the two leaders managed come up with a preliminary deal:

Firstly, North Korea would end its nuclear weapons programme and vow to never use nuclear power for military purposes.

Secondly, North Korea and South Korea would sign a peace treaty and both militaries would demobilize. North Korea would transfer the remains of US and allied veterans back to their respective countries.

Thirdly, North Korea would introduce democratic reforms and free political prisoners and foreign citizens.

Fourthly, the North and South would gradually reintegrate. A Korean Confederation would eventually be established under the principle of Two Systems, One Korea. This new nation would have united Olympic and sports teams, a single head of state and a single currency. However, the North would be self governing region until they could be fully integrated into Korean society.

Fifthly, the united Korea would become a neutral country. No foreign military forces or foreign agents would be permitted on Korean soil. Korea would be part of no alliances and would maintain a neutral stance in foreign affairs, cooperating with China and the West equally. A DMZ would be set up along the Chinese-Korean border.

Whilst the finer details would be ironed out over the following months. The Singapore Accords would be the foundation for peace and reunification in the Korean peninsula.

upload_2018-8-30_14-59-29.png

The flag of the Korean Confederation (2003)

I like this a lot! I’ve always been fascinated by third parties and enjoy timelines where they do better. Plus as other have mentioned Trump in 2000 is an underutilized POD.

Is there any indication that Nam would have been better, or at least more pragmatic, than Un?

The way I hear it, Jong-Nam was the favored successor but was dismissed by Jong-Il due to being "effeminate and weak." Whether this was due to Jong-Nam being more pragmatic than his father or dare I say concerned about the welfare of his people is all a matter of speculation.

The way I hear it, Jong-Nam was the favored successor but was dismissed by Jong-Il due to being "effeminate and weak." Whether this was due to Jong-Nam being more pragmatic than his father or dare I say concerned about the welfare of his people is all a matter of speculation.
Wasn't he caught trying to sneak to Tokyo Disneyland OTL?

This is quite an interesting timeline. Great to see the Trump 2000 POD used and to see Trump as a populist not tied to a political party.

To be fair he’s almost certainly not a headliner if he tries to go to Tokyo Disney.

According to Wikipedia, Kim Jong-nam apparently had made numerous clandestine visits to Japan aside from that Disneyland trip, starting from 1995 in fact. And considering how hated Japan is in North Korean propaganda, it is pretty safe to say that Kim Jong-nam was, at the very least, more pragmatic than Kim Jong-il.

I imagine this would have a positive effect for third parties across the board, perhaps convincing more established politicians to run under the Green and Libertarian banners. I could even see them making the 2004 debates if the rules were changed, perhaps there is more overwhelming pressure to change them ITTL.

Who's Trump's VP and some of his cabinet? Is Putin President of Russia or is it someone else?
Cabinet of Donald J. Trump (2001-present)

- President: Donald J. Trump
- Vice President: Norman Schwarzkopf

- Secretary of State: Jim Jeffords
- Secretary of the Treasury: Jack Welch
- Secretary of Defense: Colin Powell
- Attorney General: Jeff Sessions
- Secretary of Commerce: Carl Icahn
- Secretary of Labor: Paul Wellstone
- Secretary of Health and Human Services: David Shulkin
- Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Charlie Rangel
- Secretary of Energy: Angus King
- Secretary of Transportation: Dick Lamm