The Airship Legacy

Or they might have become something like this,
That's awesome! :D
Where'd you find that?

Due to the fact that tanks are still used as infanteer support probably, the bigger the tank, the harder the line is to break.
True...to a point. One problem that I see with the Second Great War, being that one front is primarily in Siberia and fought in the summer....I see big beasts like that getting bogged down in mud and not being as useful as they are intended. Though development may have very well gone along these lines. I could see such mammoth machines being fairly useful in the Iran War.

Eckener, I will try and look.Found it in my message section:paul@channel-37.net.That might be it.Try googling channel 37, too.Believe he has a twitte site.
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Keep it going.
Will do. I'm *hoping* to get the Second Great War done within the next week or so. Past that....I'll probably wrap most things up to about the present year, and then I'll do an epilogue set at the 100 years mark.

An intriguing twist that is is the south of Korea that is communist while the north is "capitalist". Though in the end they both more or less swapped places. And is it really possible for Kim Jong-Il to have a career as an academic? :D

I find it strange that a Chinese republic founded by the victorious Kuomintang over the communists, whom they vanquished, would back an insurgent communist regime elsewhere.

Then again, stranger things have happened in real history, we have Catholic France backing Protestant Netherlands in the 30 Years War after all.

My memory of the history of Korea and Japan ITL is rather blurry.

From the last update, I can tell that Japan has kept its military intact after the war with America, so does that mean its Meiji political system was preserved (albeit nerfed) rather than being forced to start from scratch and abolishing its military as in OTL?

And Korea remained within this post-war Japanese "Commonwealth" until becoming independent in 1970, right? Is Taiwan also part of this "Commonwealth" or has it gone back to China during the 1940s?

An intriguing twist that is is the south of Korea that is communist while the north is "capitalist". Though in the end they both more or less swapped places. And is it really possible for Kim Jong-Il to have a career as an academic? :D

I find it strange that a Chinese republic founded by the victorious Kuomintang over the communists, whom they vanquished, would back an insurgent communist regime elsewhere.

Then again, stranger things have happened in real history, we have Catholic France backing Protestant Netherlands in the 30 Years War after all.

My memory of the history of Korea and Japan ITL is rather blurry.

From the last update, I can tell that Japan has kept its military intact after the war with America, so does that mean its Meiji political system was preserved (albeit nerfed) rather than being forced to start from scratch and abolishing its military as in OTL?

And Korea remained within this post-war Japanese "Commonwealth" until becoming independent in 1970, right? Is Taiwan also part of this "Commonwealth" or has it gone back to China during the 1940s?

Lol the Kim Jong-Il part is more or less just fun artistic license. I mean it's totally possible I suppose.

In this TL, after the Pacific War, Japan is allowed to keep Korea. Thanks to the allies, treatment in Korea gets much better, and continues to improve. Japan reforms at home first. In the 1960s, Korea is declared a dominion. In the 1970s, Korea basically get's full independence, while still claiming the Japanese Emperor as their own monarch. Taiwan is also a dominion of Japan, and has also had essential independence since the 1970s.

As far as Japan's military, they were greatly reduced immediately after the war, but gradually regains strength for her Army and Navy. And yes, the political system was preserved, but greatly reformed throughout the 1950s.

The part about China...although the Chinese Republic owes it's existence to the USA, it's gotten increasingly nationalistic, and part of that has been revanchism against Japan for what happened in the 1930s and 1940s, and so has taken this chance to get back at Japan and expand it's own influence in the region (in both Korea and East Russia). As far as the communists in Korea are concerned, China figures it will be able to exert enough pressure on Korea to make it a puppet and kinda keep the communists in line and maybe push the country away from communism in the long run.

I hope that answers everything.

I hope that answers everything.

Sure does clear up a lot of stuff.

A sugestion: How about Imperial Russia doing a Barbarossa and double-crossing China on its territorial gains in Siberia, forcing China over to the side of the Allies, but then have the old Allies (US, Germany, Japan) end up in a new Cold War with China, who somehow figured out the Allies' nuclear programme?

On second thought, nah, who wants to end a good TL on a dark note eh? ;)

OKay folks, here's the end of the Second Great War. This will likely be my last update on this TL this year. I'm working on a few other projects plus RL stuff so I likely wont have time to focus much on this TL. BUT, it's near the end and not leaving you on a cliffhanger. Hope you enjoy!

Part XVIII: The Second Great War, 2005

As the year 2005 began, the news from the frontlines of the Second Great War was not good if you were living and working in the Allied capitals of Berlin, London, Washington, Vladivostok, or Tokyo. China had defeated Japan in Korea. The Russians had pushed the Europeans into Poland. Moral among the troops and civilians was starting to drop. It was in this climate that German Chancellor Lehmann agreed to meet with President Doughty in Washington in February of that year.
The Washington Conference, which was also atteneded by the Foreign Ministers of the United Kingdom, East Russia, and Japan, would ultimately change the outcome of the war. At this meeting, those present were told about Germany and America’s “secret weapon,” the atomic super-bombs. Both countries now proposed to use these weapons to force Russia and China to end the war. The debates were heated. There was serious concearn of contamination if too many of the bombs were used. In the end, the Conference decided that there would be three bombs used. One on the Chinese city of Harbin, one on Volvograd, and one on Archangel. Some had pushed for using the bombs on larger cities or national capitals, but this idea was dropped. Chancellor Lehmann successfully argued that such an action would likely cause major problems after the war as these countries attempted to rebuild.
- Franks, Dr. Hugo, The Atomic War, Berlin: Humboldt University Press, 2019.

2004 had been a year of setbacks for the American forces in Siberia. Initially, the Americans had been able to push the Imperials back to Lake Baikal, and were bombing Irkutsk in anticipation for a planned invasion later that year. However, with the Chinese occupation of Khabarovsk, all plans for Irkutsk were scrapped. Khabarovsk was placed under siege, which would last into 2005. The city would finally fall back into Allied hands on January 29, 2005. The cost was heavy. An estimated 150,000 American lives were lost in the Siege of Khavarovsk.
With the supply line resecured, attention once again fell on the city of Irkutsk. Planning was slow and cautious. The Chinese were still harassing the Trans-Siberian Railway, and bombing Vladivostok. The War Department decided that the invasion of Irkutsk would begin on July 1. The commanders on the ground were worried about pulling so many troops from the boarder with China, fearing that the Chinese might be able to come in and cut the supply lines again. However, the War Department mysteriously assured them that that would not be a problem, with no further explanation.
All was revealed, however, on the morning of June 26th. An American rocket was launched from a submarine in the Pacific, and at 4:22 a.m. local time, the first atomic super-bomb ever to be used slammed into downtown Harbin, in the square infront of the main trainstation. The central part of the city was utterly obliterated. Of the urban population of approximately 4 million, it is believed that nearly 1 million died within the first hour after the attack.
-Newton, Dr. Kyle. Drive to the West: The Western Front of the 2nd Great War. Los Angeles: UCLA Press, 2021.

China Issues Cease Fire!

Tokyo, June 27-
In the wake of the atomic attack on the city of Harbin, the Chinese government has announced a cease fire with the Allied Forces. Chinese authorities are reporting that nearly 2 million people have been killed in the Harbin area, and some think that this count could continue to climb. The Chinese Army has been pulled back from the front lines since the cease fire was issued in order to assist the survivors in Harbin. There are calls for the Chinese President to resign.
In Korea, the Chinese are on the retreat, announcing they were pulling out of the peninsula. About two hours after the Chinese left Busan, Japanese forces landed and occupied the city. The Japanese Royal Armed Forces announced that they hope to liberate the whole of Korea within a mater of weeks.
-“China Issues Cease Fire!” The New York Times, June 27th.

At the beginning of 2005, with added troops from Italy and France, the Russians were finaly pushed out of Polish territory. British and Polish troops liberated Vilinus on January 27th, and the Germans began to heavily bomb Minsk on February 7th. Slowly but surely, the Russians were giving up ground to the Allies. Minsk would finally fall on May 17th, at the cost of nearly 300,000 German lives. By the beginning of June, the British front was in Estonia, and the War Ministry was hopeful that that country would be liberated by the end of July, and that, with any luck, the war could be over by early 2006.
Then the big game changer came. The Night of the Atoms. At about the same time that the American rocket launched from the Pacific, two German rockets flew across the skies of Eastern Europe. At 10:29 p.m. local time, the first German atomic super bomb hit the city of Volvograd. The second bomb hit Archangel minutes later, at 10:33. Between the two bombs there was nearly 5 million people dead within the first day.
The Russians were shocked. In the chaos following the bombs, the Allied forces surged forward. The German/Polish force was now surrounding Smolensk, and the British/Polish force had crossed out of Estonia and were headed towards Petrograd. Russian Prime Minister Yalinkov vowed to avenge the destruction of Volvograd and Archangel. Despite this, the Russians continued to loose ground. In the Pacific, theater, the Americans took Irkutsk on July 7th. Smolensk fell on July 23rd. Moscow and Petrograd were being bombed daily.
Yulinkov’s vow would prove to be shortlived. A British bomb slammed into the Russian Executive Offices in Petrograd on August 6th, 2005. The Russian Prime Minister and two senior cabinet members were killed, including the head of the Prime Minister’s secret police. Czar Vladimir II called for a cease fire with the Allies on August 8th, which was accepted on August 9th.
-Rutherford, Dr. Thomas. Our War in Russia. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2022.

The War is Over!​
Washington, August 11-
The Second Great War has finally come to an end. With the death of the Russian Prime Minister 5 days ago, the Imperial Government’s resolve to continue the war quickly unravled. The War came to an end in Europe on the 9th, and the Imperial Government asked for a cease fire with the United States, Eastern Russia, and Japan yesterday, which was approved over night by the governments of those countries.
With the guns falling silent, the spotlight will now shift towards the diplomats. Already, people are discussing what the new boarders of Russia will be, how much reparations they will be forced to pay, and if some of Russia’s leaders would be forced to stand trial for their part in the war. Some want the Russians to stand trial for the estimated half a million American troops that are dead, along with nearly one million European troops.
But all that will come later. For now, people across the country are jubilant, glad that what many are calling the worst war in history is now over. Families are now waiting eagerly for their loved ones in uniform to return home.
-“The War is Over,” The Washington Post, August 11, 2005.
When I do make an update again, I plan on getting things up to our current year (so it'll actually probably get to 2012, and then giving an epilogue that will be at exactly 100 years after the start of the TL).

Since it might be awhile till I update, I wanted to go ahead and thank all of my readers who have stuck with this story since it began in 2009, and those who've joined in along the way. It's been a lot of fun. Your input and suggestions have been greatly appreciated.

I am considering doing a rewrite, and possibly some in TL point of view stories. As far as the rewrite is concearned, I could really use someone who is more knowledgeable with military matters to make the war portions more realistic. If anyone would be interested in collaborating with me on this, please, LET ME KNOW! :)

Once again, you've all been really great, and I hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed getting to write it. :)

Last edited:
So, I'm considering a rewrite of the TL series. Let me know what you think. Here's the discussion thread for a rewrite. Let me know what you all think!

Hello Eckener!

I've been lurking around these parts for quite some time now. I read the Airship President last autumn (I believe); God knows how, I was led on to start reading the Airship Legacy a few days ago, and only just finished it.

It's a very interesting TL, with quite a few original concepts to boot. You've really excelled in creating a truly alternate world, and I particularly like your writing style, with the newspaper clips and eyewitness accounts (as a sidenote, I remember EdT using a similar style for A Shot Heard Around the World); I may consider st- uh, I mean, adapting some elements of it to SoaP.

A thing I notice is that you referred to East Russians as "Vladivostokians" in one update. I don't think many actual Russophones would be happy about that formulation, however; how about "Vladivostochnyans" (from "vostochny", meaning "eastern", as opposed to "vostok", meaning "the east")? I think it has a good sound to it, and it'd probably fit in with the pseudo-communist counterculture ITTL. Of course, that phase in popular culture will be over, but I imagine some parts of it will still be left.

EDIT: I just saw the rewrite discussion. I'll post my thoughts on that in a minute.

And the originality continues. Although I'm a bit miffed about some details (No Boeing 747 and no Voyager I and II Great Tour), I think that Moon Colonies and the Mars Mission are a good trade off :D;)
Can't wait for the Redux versions!