The “Magnificent Age” - Catherine II TL

View attachment 902813
Here are the new borders! Alexmilman, let me know if anything needs corrected. Prussia gets ~600k subjects, Austria ~2.65 million like OTL. Russia though about 3.5 million instead of 1.2 million.
Thanks. It looks beautiful and I replaced with it my attempt to creative geography. 😉

BTW, which tool are you using? I did not find anything good (and free) for ipad and have to do editing using finger with a rather ugly results.

What a weird looking Poland.
It is not weird. Besides OTL parts of Austria and Prussia, the rest is based mostly upon the ethnic/religious criteria for a majority of population with some mostly Orthodox pieces (Minsk region) still left within the PLC (everything in a moderation 😉). The OTL Russian part was much more idiotic: except for having border along the upper Dvina river (hardly a serious obstacle), where was a meaningful reason for getting predominantly Protestant areas while leaving the Orthodox ones within the PLC. And this after wasting so much of all types of effort and failing on the Orthodox part of the “dissident issue”? In OTL it took a war and one more partition to get them so why not doing this in one step?
Plus, now the PLC does not have to fear the Tatar raids or the Russian armies marching through it to fight the Turks, so this can be considered as doing it a favor. And aesthetically it looks better than a sprawling ameba of the OTL. 😜

Last edited:
It is not weird. Besides OTL parts of Austria and Prussia, the rest is based mostly upon the ethnic/religious criteria for a majority of population with some mostly Orthodox pieces (Minsk region) still left within the PLC (everything in a moderation 😉). The OTL Russian part was much more idiotic: except for having border along the upper Dvina river (hardly a serious obstacle), where was a meaningful reason for getting predominantly Protestant areas while leaving the Orthodox ones within the PLC. And this after wasting so much of all types of effort and failing on the Orthodox part of the “dissident issue”? In OTL it took a war and one more partition to get them so why not doing this in one step?
I was talking about the aesthetic shape of it. Of course it does have a logic to it, but this kind of shape for Poland in the abstract does look a bit different than what it's historically had.

I was talking about the aesthetic shape of it. Of course it does have a logic to it, but this kind of shape for Poland in the abstract does look a bit different than what it's historically had.
It looks like I anticipated you reasonable comment by editing the post before having a chance to read yours. There was some old saying about certain kind of people (my well-known modesty prevents me from getting into the specifics) thinking similarly.
Now, it will take just a reasonably minor adjustment to make the PLC looking as a perfect rectangle. 😂

I agree, can we just kill PLC, call it a day
Something like this?
NG20240424-121156.png

No, we can’t. Actually, this map is not an official one, yet: it will take a long and convoluted legislative process for the PLC to officially accept the situation.
It is up in the air the exact long-term future for the PLC. A complete partition is not necessarily inevitable.

Stupidities of OTL will not necessarily be repeated ITTL. 😜
It occurred to me the map in a way boiled down to "Prussia and Austria get Poland, Russia gets Lithuania". But should OTL solutions be opted for OTL problems will likely ensue. That's not necessarily the best outcome from a reader interest POV even if the PLC is indeed run in a very stupid way and hardly be called many flattering things.

It is up in the air the exact long-term future for the PLC.
Of course. As I said, in OTL an official recognition of the 1st Partition by Poland was a long and troublesome process. The next ones fit well with what was formulated (applicable to a slightly different activity) in an old “educational” movie: “the first time is painful but then you’ll get used to it.” 😉

A complete partition is not necessarily inevitable.
That’s the point.

It occurred to me the map in a way boiled down to "Prussia and Austria get Poland, Russia gets Lithuania". But should OTL solutions be opted for OTL problems will likely ensue. That's not necessarily the best outcome from a reader interest POV even if the PLC is indeed run in a very stupid way and hardly be called many flattering things.
Well OTL Poland went to almost fully to Russia, did it not? I do agree it wasn't a good thing for either of them.

Well OTL Poland went to almost fully to Russia, did it not? I do agree it wasn't a good thing for either of them.
Well, after Nappy, yes.
I was thinking the 1795 partition borders as a comparison point, rather...
(Should be noted that the Tsar in the 1810s was quite Polonophilic and Russia getting Poland had a different tenor in those circumstances)

Of course. As I said, in OTL an official recognition of the 1st Partition by Poland was a long and troublesome process. The next ones fit well with what was formulated (applicable to a slightly different activity) in an old “educational” movie: “the first time is painful but then you’ll get used to it.” 😉
These sorts of things are the most painful the first time, so that does make sense.

It occurred to me the map in a way boiled down to "Prussia and Austria get Poland, Russia gets Lithuania".
In OTL, yes. ITTL “Poland and Lithuania” but in modern terms “Ukraine and Belorussia”.
But should OTL solutions be opted for OTL problems will likely ensue. That's not necessarily the best outcome from a reader interest POV even if the PLC is indeed run in a very stupid way and hardly be called many flattering things.
Well, IMO, getting the areas where majority of a population is going to be generally sympathetic to the new masters makes more sense than ending up with the territories having predominantly Polish and Lithuanian population and resulting OTL problems. Speaking of which, ITTL there are plenty of “interesting” problems besides dealing with the Poles outside and inside the Russian Empire.