Supreme Court’s May 17, 1954 decision on school equality moves quicker and avoids “massive resistance” of Senator Harry Byrd of Virginia ? ?

1715739575647.jpeg

— cartoon on 3rd page

“On February 25, 1956, he [Harry Byrd] called for what became known as Massive Resistance.”

——————————————————

With hindsight . . .

Hell, yes, the Supreme Court should have moved quicker. Meaning, Chief Justice Earl Warren too dearly purchased his 9-0 unanimous decision. He probably would have been better off with a 7-2 majority.

That’s not my original idea. A lot of people have said this.

And with the 70th anniversary of Brown v. The Board of Education of Topeka fast approaching . . .

What are some of your ideas? :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

“ . . . he had his unanimity, but at a cost that would prove to be exceedingly high.

“In a break with tradition, the Court did not order the states to enforce the rights just announced, but instructed the Brown lawyers to return a few months later to address specific questions concerning the scope of their ruling. . . “

——————————————

Emphasis added.

What the heck is this? ! ? We’re not going to do anything except re-argue later. And thereby, we will be giving the opposition plenty of time to coalesce and get moving.

This re-arguing later resulted in the Brown II and the phrase “all deliberate speed,” which in practical terms meant go slowly. :frown:

715qa01VH0L._AC_UF350,350_QL50_.jpg

“ . . . Although the book occasionally bogs down in legal lingo, it offers readers an honest if fractured account of one man's firsthand experiences with one of the most significant court decisions of the 20th century . . . ”

———————————————————

‘ . . . and covers the span of six paragraphs. Although Ogletree has been cleared of intentional plagiarism, critics have called into question the very process . . . ’

‘ . . . “one was inserting material in the book. The other, he says, was reviewing, researching and summarizing the material for inclusion in the book,” writes Velvel. “What these two assistants were doing sounds awfully much as if they were writing the book, . . ” . . ’

Actually, I like a “wet” book!

By this, I mean a messy, imperfect, discordant book. :openedeyewink:

I think we should accept Prof. Ogletree’s apology on the accidental plagiarism, although he probably should credit the two research assistants on the cover.

We should similarly accept apologies from students on plagiarism. It’s the type of charge, which once made, feeds on itself. It’s hard to say something unique on any subject, and yeah, the student most probably has been influenced by what he or she has read before! I mean, how could they not be?

Last edited: