Supreme Allied Commander Patton

didnt churchill and patton want to go after the soviets after VE-day?

you might see some military moves that dont help out the soviets as much as the war progresses....

I believe that patton was too much of a political liability for anyone in the war department(under FDR anyway) to consider putting him any higher up the chain than he was. In order to realistically get Patton to be Supreme allied commander in WWII in Europe, you need Patton to be a different kind of person, or to have someone other than FDR in the White House. Of course then you get all sorts of other butterflies.

didnt churchill and patton want to go after the soviets after VE-day?

you might see some military moves that dont help out the soviets as much as the war progresses....

It was only Patton,Churchill merely had a contingency plan.Which he realised was so absurd that he called it Operation Unthinkable.

And it would be hard for the allies to make military moves that would help the Soviets less than in OTL.

London will hate this. Patton could not disguise his contempt for the British. How to split resources etc? We all know how this is going. It’s going to be hard work for Churchill to work with Patton, forget Monty! I can only see the destruction of the Western Alliance, at least until Patton is fired. Anyway, doesn’t Patton need quite a few inter war promotions to get to the Supreme Commander rank?

London will hate this. Patton could not disguise his contempt for the British. How to split resources etc? We all know how this is going. It’s going to be hard work for Churchill to work with Patton, forget Monty! I can only see the destruction of the Western Alliance, at least until Patton is fired. Anyway, doesn’t Patton need quite a few inter war promotions to get to the Supreme Commander rank?

I just dont think Patton would be fit for the important role of realtions a supreme commander must have.This is why I ke was a good choice.

Btw does your name refer the German plan for the invasion of Ireland? :D

Tbh, I can't see Patton even wanting what could be considered to be a political rather than a fighting man's role (as he would see it anyway).

A slower western front advance. Patton was not a diplomat and SAC was a diplomatic job. Inter-Allied co-operation would have been awful, that is if he didn't piss of FDR enough to get sacked before too much damage

burmafrd

Banned
The only Generals on active Duty on Dec 7 1941 with more seniority in the Regular Army then Patton were Macarthur and Marshal that were not already relegated to support roles or awaiting retirement.
Remember Patton was older then just about every other general that saw combat in WW2.
He got his 3d star in March 1943; he got his second star on 4 April 1941. July 1940 was the date he was made Brigadier General. He was senior to Eisenhower until Eisenhower was promoted to Major General 7 days earlier then Patton was. EIsenhower got his 3rd star in July and his fourth in Feb, 1943.
From a seniority standpoint it would not have been unusual at all for Patton to be Supreme Commander. Its a position he would have hated and was not suited for- though I think he would have done better then many would think if he got stuck with it.

This sounds like it would have some interesting butterflies for the african campaign. If Patton is given the SAC job who replaces Fredendall? Although I think anybody would have been an improvement from him I dunno if there was another general with the right attributes to do what patton did, or would we see a reversal of fortunes and have ike in Africa?