Successful Eric of Pomerania? Planning thread (maybe)

Hi everyone! I am considering for my next timeline to not reboot the sons of Semiramis after all, though I still am planning to do this sometime in the future, albeit very differently from the first time around. Instead, I’m considering doing a timeline about, as the title suggests, a more successful reign of Eric VII - Eric of Pomerania. The reason for this is partly because I realized that was what I was trying to turn Olaf into in my old timeline, and in hindsight I find the result of it rather lacking.

Before I start writing I’d like to discuss it with all of you guys, I already have had some private discussions with some users on this forum, but now I’d like to put it to the public!
I haven’t decided for a PoD yet, but the first goal would clearly be resolving the war in Schleswig so that it doesn’t turn into the 25 year long war that dominated Eric’s reign otl and also prevented him from pursuing some of his other very interesting ambitions.
Further down the line he would obviously need to handle unrest in Sweden, the matter of his succession, and generally trying to maintain the Kalmar Union as the “great power” his adoptive mother had tried to turn it into.
So please, do share your thoughts: would you be interested in a timeline about Eric? What do you think should be included in it? Do you know of any interesting (and perhaps non-obvious) hooks I could use in the timeline? I’m curious to hear your thoughts before I really get writing.

Do you know of any interesting (and perhaps non-obvious) hooks I could use in the timeline?
Some eight years ago I was hoping to expand my answer to this challenge into a full timeline (Sextuple Monarchy of England-France-Denmark-Sweden-Norway-Ireland!), but I came to the conclusion that the sources I had access to and could read were an unreliable guide to the details of Eric's reign and didn't pursue the matter.

Did Philippa or Eric have some health issues that prevented them from having children? They were fairly close from what I can tell, so it doesn't seem to have been any lack of affection.

Did Philippa or Eric have some health issues that prevented them from having children? They were fairly close from what I can tell, so it doesn't seem to have been any lack of affection.
Eric had illegitimate kids, so it was rather not his fault.

Some eight years ago I was hoping to expand my answer to this challenge into a full timeline (Sextuple Monarchy of England-France-Denmark-Sweden-Norway-Ireland!), but I came to the conclusion that the sources I had access to and could read were an unreliable guide to the details of Eric's reign and didn't pursue the matter.
That’s an ambitious proposition! If I remember correctly when the possibility of Eric’s sister Catherine marrying Henry V came up, one of the conditions were that the children of either couple could inherit in the others country, even if it did not materialize in otl. Probably not where I’d be going with this though.

Philippa supposedly gave birth to a stillborn child shortly before she died at least.

Eric had illegitimate kids, so it was rather not his fault.

Indeed? Never heard of these, do you have any more information about this?

I’d say that Erik having children by Philippa would be a major benefit to his reign. It would at least butterfly away the political infighting of who should be his heir, and it could give him more allies in the future through their marriages. Also, while a grand Northern alliance between England and The Kalmar Union would be interesting, it would likely not be in their interest, as it would drag them into the 100 years war.

I’d say that Erik having children by Philippa would be a major benefit to his reign. It would at least butterfly away the political infighting of who should be his heir, and it could give him more allies in the future through their marriages.
For sure, in general keeping Philippa alive longer would help him a lot.

Also, while a grand Northern alliance between England and The Kalmar Union would be interesting, it would likely not be in their interest, as it would drag them into the 100 years war.
Yeah, English and Scandinavian interests don't align very well there. Moreso England would be interested in gaining access to the Baltic Sea through a weakned Hansa, which is of course on of Eric's key goals.

If Kalmar Union also includes Pomerania that would drag it into conflict with Brandenburg (which claimed suzerainty over Pomerania) and Teutonic Order (although TO wasn't particulary friendly towards Eric anyway).

If Kalmar Union also includes Pomerania that would drag it into conflict with Brandenburg (which claimed suzerainty over Pomerania) and Teutonic Order (although TO wasn't particulary friendly towards Eric anyway).
I mean it wouldn't include Pomerania, even the small part of Pomerania that Eric was from was given to his family, until he was deposed, but Eric did support (and got support from) his Pomeranian family members.

I mean it wouldn't include Pomerania, even the small part of Pomerania that Eric was from was given to his family, until he was deposed, but Eric did support (and got support from) his Pomeranian family members.
Yes, but after his cousin Bogusław IX died, Eric was last male member of Słupsk line of Griffin dynasty left. There were also Wolgast Griffins, but they were quite distant relatives of Eric, who is still likely to inherit Słupsk. I guess it may be given to younger son, if he had more than one.

Phillipa also apparently had a pretty severe miscarriage that may or may not have contributed to the lack of children
I read in Philippa: English princess and Nordic Union Queen that most stories of her various pregnancies and miscarriages are later traditions, the only “confirmed” pregnancy is based on an interpretation of a letter in regards to her death, and even that is only an interpretation. In either case it’s easy to change in a timeline.

Yes, but after his cousin Bogusław IX died, Eric was last male member of Słupsk line of Griffin dynasty left. There were also Wolgast Griffins, but they were quite distant relatives of Eric, who is still likely to inherit Słupsk. I guess it may be given to younger son, if he had more than one.
I think cousin Bogislaw will player a big part in the alt timeline, which might change his number of kids.

I’d say that Erik having children by Philippa would be a major benefit to his reign. It would at least butterfly away the political infighting of who should be his heir, and it could give him more allies in the future through their marriages. Also, while a grand Northern alliance between England and The Kalmar Union would be interesting, it would likely not be in their interest, as it would drag them into the 100 years war.
Agreed on the first point, and as to the second, Philippa was really a sort of "last ditch" attempt for Margareta AIUI. She recognized that Denmark/Kalmar was "diplomatically isolated" so she wanted a foreign bride. She'd tried - before that - to get a Bourbon cousin of Charles VI and a Visconti girl for both Olaf and Erik, but neither situation had borne fruit. The Bourbon girl became the prioress at Poissy (IIRC) and I think there was a change of power (from Bernabo to Galeazzo) in Milan before the proposal could gain much ground. @The Undead Martyr may know more about the Visconti-Denmark match.

So I do agree that a second Anglo-Danish match doesn't seem likely (unless things change drastically)

It would be very interesting to see if Eric will provide support for his English in-laws in the wars with France.

OTL He didn't really, so I highly doubt it
Eric’s reign was hyper-focused on the war in Schleswig, so if he wins there somewhat quickly he’d be free to pursue a number of other projects. Even so though, I don’t think war with France would be high on the agenda, I don’t really know what benefit it could bring the north.